October 17th Show - Blu-ray responds to Microsoft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today's show:
Today we have a special guest on our podcast, Andy Parsons, Senior Vice President, Advanced Product Development, Pioneer Electronics and Spokesperson for the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Andy Parsons has worked in the optical disc industry for nearly 25 years. He has held technical and senior management positions at Pioneer, Optical Disc Corporation and Discovision Associates. His experience with optical products began with the early days of Laserdisc, and has progressed through the CD, DVD, and now Blu-ray Disc formats. Andy is currently senior vice president of advanced product development for Pioneer Electronics (USA), headquartered in Long Beach, California.

We invited Andy to come on our show and provide a Blu-ray response to the six reasons Microsoft and Intel gave for backing the HD-DVD next generation DVD format.

Listen Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 AM

hi,

sorry, but I wasn`t really impressed about the Interview on this show, cause all he said we already know. He just repeat facts about blu-ray and in the main point everyone wanna know, he said that he don`t know more.

DougMan
post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Now that HP just came out and said basically what microsoft said, it has me questioning things again about blu-ray.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/News...EDIA-HP-DC.XML

Does blu-ray have the capability of doing a consumer copy but they choose not to? What I got from the interview is that they CAN do it. I didn't really hear them say that they will do it. Or maybe its that its not a mandatory thing in there spec. Hopefully this gets corrected soon. It really bothers me that they kind of let that slide through and they didn't really get in deep with that question.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 AM

Liked: 14
Blu-ray is a technology provider. They support managed copying, but don't require it. They leave that decision up to the content provider. While HD-DVD forces the provider to allow one copy, Blu-ray leaves the decision up to the owner of the content.

Why should Blu-ray force a movie studio to use their technology the way Microsoft, Intel, HP or anyone else wants them to? Let the studios decide what they want to do with their own content. If we, as consumers, don't like it, we should take it up with them, not Blu-ray.

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2005, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason I can see MS and HP interested in this is because they both have big stakes in media centers at the moment, and want to stream media across from server to extenders. I think it would be confusing for a consumer to have one Blu-Ray disk that they could stream (or whatever) with, but another they cannot.

I really wanted Blu-Ray to win this war, but I agree with MS and HP, and despite all the other negatives of HD-DVD, this ONE THING is making me personally switch camps.

post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Russell
Blu-ray is a technology provider. They support managed copying, but don't require it. They leave that decision up to the content provider. While HD-DVD forces the provider to allow one copy, Blu-ray leaves the decision up to the owner of the content.

Why should Blu-ray force a movie studio to use their technology the way Microsoft, Intel, HP or anyone else wants them to? Let the studios decide what they want to do with their own content. If we, as consumers, don't like it, we should take it up with them, not Blu-ray.

This is orwellian double-talk - the fact of the matter is that BD currently doesn't have any managed copy standardised, whereas HDDVD has and made it mandatory.

From a customer viewpoint it's obvious BD isn't made for customers but for studios, whereas HDDVD actually would give you back part of your Fair Use Rights DMCA has taken away illegally.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2005, 12:35 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
The reason I can see MS and HP interested in this is because they both have big stakes in media centers at the moment, and want to stream media across from server to extenders. I think it would be confusing for a consumer to have one Blu-Ray disk that they could stream (or whatever) with, but another they cannot.

I really wanted Blu-Ray to win this war, but I agree with MS and HP, and despite all the other negatives of HD-DVD, this ONE THING is making me personally switch camps.
It did happen to me months ago when it turned out that BD, despite its very thin protective layer (0.1mm vs .6mm of DVD and HDDVD), dropped the cartridge and remained in deep silence about Managed Copy, remained in deep silence about its 50GB ROms etc etc. Too much yakyak and too little factual thing from BD.

Taking a look at HVD and its already 1TB prototypes raises the question that how long these BD and HDDVD think they can survive? Whereas I know it's not necessary to have 1TB, I have to add I'd rather move to that technology (holographic storage) entirely instead of dealing with another legacy one like BD will be by then, just for the sake of Sony's royalty income. Apart from the mandatory managed copy and more durable medium HDDVD is also the cheapest way to make the transition until HVD gets ready for en masse manufacturing.
One thing is sure: unlike DVD, none of these formats will have a 10 year lifespan, no matter how many extra layers BD will squeeze onto one disc - HVD is simply *much* cheaper and more effective, let alone other emerging technologies. It's not an accident that Toshiba already bought a stake in Optware, the main company behind the HVD Alliance.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the very interesting radio show.

The most interesting thing to come from Microsoft's announcement, I thought, was the statement that HD-DVD had more capacity than Blu-Ray. Microsoft, in essence, said that dual-layer Blu-Ray was vaporware, and that dual-layer HD-DVD was a reality today.

Didn't I hear Andy Parsons say in the interview that dual-layer Blu-Ray discs were already shipping in Japan? I did a quick google search and couldn't find any for sale. Maybe somebody else can.

Is DL BD a reality or not? It's hard to decide what format to support when there are so many contradictory statements flying around.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgvb
Thanks for the very interesting radio show.

The most interesting thing to come from Microsoft's announcement, I thought, was the statement that HD-DVD had more capacity than Blu-Ray. Microsoft, in essence, said that dual-layer Blu-Ray was vaporware, and that dual-layer HD-DVD was a reality today.

Didn't I hear Andy Parsons say in the interview that dual-layer Blu-Ray discs were already shipping in Japan? I did a quick google search and couldn't find any for sale. Maybe somebody else can.

Is DL BD a reality or not? It's hard to decide what format to support when there are so many contradictory statements flying around.
Amir from Microsoft says this about BD DL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
...Actually, nothing is proven. Proven would be having mass production of blank media. I would be surprised to hear that more than a couple of thousand blank 50 gigabyte BR-RE discs were ever made (at $80 a pop, I doubt they had many takers). These discs were handcrafted and probably cost far more than their already high retail price. As with ROM, recordable BD media is going to expensive to bring to market....
from this thread:
Latest HiDef DVD News
Closed Thread AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page