June 12th - SlingMedia VS Major League Baseball and Father's Day Gift Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today's Show:
There are have been a allot of stories going around the Internet about how Major League Baseball may go after Sling Media. Today we will talk about the issues and give you the HT Guys take on the subject. As always feel free to send us your thoughts on the subject.

The HT Guys are both dads, and yes we both have some idea of what would make a nice Father's Day present. As we're sure everyone already knows, especially our wives and kids, Father's Day this year falls on June 17th. Instead of waiting until the Friday show to talk about gift ideas, we decided to give you a little time. This way if you're a dad, you have some time to plant subliminal gift suggestions, or if you have a dad or husband you need to buy something for, you have plenty of time get it. Of course, being HT Guys suggestions, these are all very high tech gifts for the techno minded dad.

More...

Listen Now - mp3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 09:26 AM

I agree with the HT Guys, Major League Baseball is out of its mind. I'm a long time Slingbox owner and a pretty big baseball fan. Most of the stories around the web have this take, "Going after Slingbox is the same thing as going after your fans". Anytime new devices come along that empower consumers, organizations like the MLB fight it tooth and nail. Even the CEO of Sling Media thinks the MLB is nuts .

Seeing the NHL take a more open stance on the topic is refreshing. Of course, the timing of that announcement couldn't have been better. They really came out looking like heroes while rubbing it in the MLB's face.

For anyone that wants to speak up about the MLB's stance on placeshifting (pro or con, I guess... even though I don't know how anyone would be "pro" on the Slingbox issue), the Sling Community site encouraging baseball fans to write a letter to the MLB and tell them what you think. If you don't want to send one directly, they've set up a place where you can post your letter or share your thoughts. It says they'll forward all letters to the MLB on June 30th.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I quit going to the games when the litte bee-atches struck in the 90's, and this is just one more reason I won't watch. Way to go MLB.

You only get what you ask for.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. They don't want us to watch the games and view their advertisers products. I don't think the know what a slingbox does. I got one last Fathers Day and it is awesome. I use it at work on my computer and on my Blackjack Smartphone. My 7 and 6 year olds use it on their computers in their bedrooms. You would think they would want more viewers. Anyway I quit watching the Orioles because they suck. And I don't watch because they don't do it in HD.

Jeff
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM

If MLB doesn't like the idea of products such as the sling box, then I think it is time they started playing in China, Cuba, and N. Korea-there is something here in the US and most of the world called "free enterprise".
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like MLB is going to jump the shark the way the music industry did when non-standard forms of their product was shared between different individuals. The facts are MLB needs to embrace people who are willing to drop $100+ just to view their product.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post

The facts are MLB needs to embrace people who are willing to drop $100+ just to view their product.

MLB doesn't care if you gave SlingBox $100; they didn't see a dime of it.

Without reading too closely, it appears to me that they're trying to protect the MLB.com media packages that allow you to buy plans to watch your favorite team online. They were pretty progressive in getting ahead of the curve on this, and I'm sure it's become a nice revenue generator for them.

It doesn't mean I think they're right, but that they did embrace the new technology, delivered what the users wanted, and now someone has found a way to potentially interrupt the new media they've so vigorously embraced.

No one said that technology would quit moving forward simply because you adopted something. TiVO is finding that it has to add more and more services to "create value" as their core offering becomes a commodity.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

I am sure my local stations and local advertisers would rather have me watching my SlingBox on the road. Of course MLB would rather I didn't. MLB doesn't want me to watch the TWINS on ESPN even though I am 280 miles away - in the "local" coverage area. MLB is not a very smart organization - but at least they are paranoid about some one watching something they don't want them to watch.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page