Jan 22 - Death of Rear Projection TV & Bridging the Gap from your Computer to your TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today's Show:

We witnessed the death of CRT a few years ago when we searched high and low all over the CES show floor for somebody showing anything resembling a tube TV and came up empty. This year, if you don't count the Texas Instruments DLP booth, we saw only three rear projection sets at the entire show. Sony has announced their exiting the market because it wasn't profitable. By not announcing anything new, JVC has all but announced that they won't be in the game for very much longer. Samsung announced a hand full of new models and Mitsubishi is is touting their new laser based unit that should be available before the end of the year. So for today's show we give you some tips that will help you decide if buying a Rear Projection TV is right for you.

Also,
Until now the concept of a media center PC, or a computer in your home theater has largely remained in the realm of the IT expert or extreme enthusiast. There hasn't really been a product yet that has bridged the gap between the IT side of your life and the consumer electronics side. We discuss our odds-on favorites to successfully mass market a computer for the Home Theater and "Bridge the Gap" from your computer to your TV.

More...

Listen Now - mp3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM

I just brought a new samsung t6187s so should I bring it back or kept it and any one out there know how to calibrate it Thanks Mike
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Do not return the TV. We are commenting on how the TV world is going flat and as flat screens get bigger and costs come down people will opt for the flat screen. At some point manufacturers may stop building rear projection if the market dries up.

I fully intend to use my 65 inch DLP for many years. Even if the technology goes away in a few years.

As far as calibration goes, check out 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)

Ara
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

As long as LCDs still have crappy blacks and plasmas still have burn in issues I will stick with my DLP. My HL-T5687S has a picture far superior to anyone of my 3 LCD displays.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Aces View Post

As long as LCDs still have crappy blacks and plasmas still have burn in issues I will stick with my DLP. My HL-T5687S has a picture far superior to anyone of my 3 LCD displays.

New LCDs have very nice blacks...Burn in is a thing of the past on plasmas...

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 AM

I purchased a Samsung DLP 5674 (56") almost 4 years ago now.

Since that time I have also purchased a Samsung 40" LCD and a Visio 37" LCD for the Wife's Bedroom. The Visio, although not top of the line will put out a nice picture when properly calibrated.

I frequently go to Best Buy, Circuit City and others to view all the new LCD, Plasma and the latest RP DLP Models. I have not yet seen anything yet "compelling enough" to make me want to replace my 5674. My Set is that good and it still performs perfectly. To date, I have also not yet had to replace the Bulb.

There are many great sets out there, no doubt, but my DLP still holds it's own against any of the competition. In fact, I actually prefer my set and its picture presentation over the latest and greatest. I include the LCD's I have purchased.

To my eyes, many of the latest LCD, Plasma Sets have an almost animated unnatural look to the picture., well defined, but hard. My DLP 5674 has a more natural look with (in my view better blacks and a more natural looking diplay..

Just my opinion!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Death of the LCD Projection....sad really. I have a Panasonic 60" PT-60LC14, and it honestly is the best picture I've seen yet of all my friends TV's, and what I've seen in the store. I don't like the idea of having to change the bulb IF it goes out (had it for 4+ years now, and no problems), but I have a media center (custom built) PC, my PS3, and several other devices hooked to it, and it's the best picture I could imagine.

Now, it only reaches 1080i, and I've been wanting to get a 1080p, but I have yet to find one with as good a picture as mine has. Plasma's look....liquidy, is the best way I can describe it, and I play games frequently, and I have 2 friends that do as well. They both have plasmas, and both have had problems with them.

What other REAL option do I have, when I want to keep the screen size, and improve my resolution, while being able to play hours of games, without any problems?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM

Purchase any thing but its care is must. I am using stabilizer for my 19" lcd and i properly off it. And also take care from dust. On every six months i am tune it. It working fine. Its Panasonic testking TX-19LXD8 19" LCD TV.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 PM

I know what you mean, we bought an LCD in 2005 and we have a lot of burn in issues (due mainly to the fact that my husband has the closed caption on constantly ).
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page