The Best Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
  • 4 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 5 Post By DaveMcLain
  • 4 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By johnty
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By wxman
  • 1 Post By styx rogan
  • 3 Post By Fizban19
  • 3 Post By Fizban19
  • 2 Post By Pitbull0669
  • 2 Post By vfrdev
  • 1 Post By cardoski
  • 2 Post By Ulisescm
  • 1 Post By Fizban19
  • 3 Post By hsinnott
  • 3 Post By drummernrg
  • 1 Post By wxman
  • 2 Post By fmalitz
  • 1 Post By Pauls09
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By JCP1740
  • 1 Post By darrellh44

Old 04-14-2017, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 4066
The Best Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays

Ralph Potts, Blu-ray reviewer for AVS Forum, talks about his home-theater system and his favorite Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray titles, including some of the best titles for image quality in both HD and UHD, immersive audio, and 3D. He also discusses high dynamic range (HDR), wide color gamut (WCG), high frame rate (HFR), and how he divides his attention between the technical aspects of the presentation and the movie itself. Plus answers to chat-room questions and more.

http://www.avsforum.com/best-blu-rays-uhd-blu-rays/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This was a good show Scott I really enjoy when you have Ralph Potts on as a guest. It might sound funny but I think he talks just like he writes in his reviews!
Ralph Potts, DAB, Haiej and 2 others like this.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
This was a good show Scott I really enjoy when you have Ralph Potts on as a guest. It might sound funny but I think he talks just like he writes in his reviews!
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I enjoy doing the show and had a great time during our discussion. I think you may be right regarding my speaking sounding similar to my writing.

Regards,
MichaelZ, Haiej, ray0414 and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Thanks Dave. I enjoy doing the show and had a great time during our discussion.
Regards,
One question I had hoped would come up - when faced with the choice of watching a 3D version of the movie in HD vs 2D UHD and assuming they both had immersive sound, which would you choose? The heightened sense of immersion of 3D or the better color and specular highlights of the 4K disc?
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post
One question I had hoped would come up - when faced with the choice of watching a 3D version of the movie in HD vs 2D UHD and assuming they both had immersive sound, which would you choose? The heightened sense of immersion of 3D or the better color and specular highlights of the 4K disc?
Greetings,

Great questions John! I think it would depend on the source material, but if I had to be pinned down, I would probably opt for the Ultra HD version..

Regards,
mtbdudex likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Speaking as one who just picked up his first Ultra HD 4K discs this week, I would like to ask this question.

We hear that the resolution isn't all that noticeable compared to HDR benefits.

Consider this though - the vast majority of these titles are only 2K sources, and as such aren't the titles the weak point from a resolution standpoint. Shouldn't we be able to expect much greater differences as studios elect (if they choose) to source 4K masters as opposed to these 2K masters. Think back to bluray discs infancy and DVD as well and how much better PQ was 3, 4, 5 years later down the road.

I'm surprised there is not more pressure on the studios to source 4K masters when you consider the cost of this evolution in gear. Seems that throwing out 50% of the capability of the image is not ideal.

Last edited by blueskies758; 04-14-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
There are only 2 or 3 UHD discs I would consider reference quality. The rest, IMO, are sub par and I prefer the blu ray version over the UHD version.
DAB likes this.

LG 65EF9500
LG 65E6P
Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
so far uhd blu ray has been a big scam
DAB likes this.

Kef 204, 205, 207, 4 Ci200RR dolby atmos configuration
Pioneer Elite Signature 141
Marantz 7702 mkii pre amp processor
Oppo 203 UHD blu ray
Tag McLaren 5 ch. amp, Tandberg 4036 amp
Old 04-15-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
There are only 2 or 3 UHD discs I would consider reference quality. The rest, IMO, are sub par and I prefer the blu ray version over the UHD version.
I agree. I have seen some 4K movies that look terrible in my opinion. I had also watched blu-rays that didn't look like 1080p to me, but I'm happy I upgraded at the time. That's why I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump on the 4K bandwagon yet. Although I did buy a JVC RS400, but that was because I wanted lens shift. Darn you Sony, haha.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx rogan View Post
so far uhd blu ray has been a big scam
In terms of pricing? I agree, although when 1080P discs first came out, the pricing was similar....4k disc sales are doing much better when compared to when 1080P discs first launched. All of the titles that Ralph talks about are primo 4K presentations. I can see a huge difference in quality in 4K discs vs. 4k streaming...it's not even close. Plus, most of the time, you can't get HD sound when streaming. On my 4K LG OLED TV, the 4K picture from a UHD disc is much better than a 1080P disc on my Pioneer Kuro......
Ralph Potts, Haiej and Ulisescm like this.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
These are some of the UHD discs I own that I think are better than the regular blu-ray version (I'm talking mainly picture wise as I do not have a Dolby Atmos set-up, so I can't comment on that). These are in no particular order...just remembering off the top of my head:

1. Pacific Rim
2. Pets
3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
4. Oblivion
5. Hacksaw Ridge
6. The Revenant
7. Chappie
8. John Wick
9. Sicario
Ralph Potts, Haiej and devon_djh like this.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Great Video buddy
Ralph Potts and blueskies758 like this.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Really enjoyed the discussion thank you Scott and Ralph. For those like Ralph in the New York City area another Dolby theater can be found in Paramus NJ. The AMC 16 at the Westfield Garden State Plaza is at the intersection of routes 4 and 17. I enjoy it on Sunday mornings thanks to less traffic with most stores closed there on Sunday.
Ralph Potts and Haiej like this.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Great show boys! Loved hearing about your system Ralph Potts and thanks again for your reviews.
Ralph Potts likes this.

It's always in the last place you look.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just have like 30 uhd discs and every one is a clear improvement over the 1080 Blu-ray, every single one, if not the resolution, the wider color spectrum, the hdr, the better compression and less artifacts and of course object based audio. No competition.
DAB and Haiej like this.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
These are some of the UHD discs I own that I think are better than the regular blu-ray version (I'm talking mainly picture wise as I do not have a Dolby Atmos set-up, so I can't comment on that). These are in no particular order...just remembering off the top of my head:

1. Pacific Rim
2. Pets
3. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
4. Oblivion
5. Hacksaw Ridge
6. The Revenant
7. Chappie
8. John Wick
9. Sicario
I hear Oblivion is one of the worst/botched up transfers in the UHD selection...? Agree with you on all the rest of them.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1
Currently For SALE : Media & Codes
Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
I hear Oblivion is one of the worst/botched up transfers in the UHD selection...? Agree with you on all the rest of them.
Hearing about it and seeing it are 2 different stories maybe? I think it looks great on my 4K LG OLED TV. There are several reviews on the net that give the 4K version great reviews (blu-ray.com, hometheaterforum.com, avforums.com). I guess there are some who didn't like it, but that's not what I'm reading from various reviews on the net. There's a review on digitalbits.com that says the 4K version is only marginally better than the regular bluray version.....but, better nonetheless. I haven't really seen any reviews that totally trashed it.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
Hearing about it and seeing it are 2 different stories maybe? I think it looks great on my 4K LG OLED TV. There are several reviews on the net that give the 4K version great reviews (blu-ray.com, hometheaterforum.com, avforums.com). I guess there are some who didn't like it, but that's not what I'm reading from various reviews on the net. There's a review on digitalbits.com that says the 4K version is only marginally better than the regular bluray version.....but, better nonetheless. I haven't really seen any reviews that totally trashed it.
Thats Fair. Though to me a "Marginal" improvement is like trashing it, its gotta be better than that. Again, seeing it yourself can make all the difference.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1
Currently For SALE : Media & Codes
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Thats Fair. Though to me a "Marginal" improvement is like trashing it, its gotta be better than that. Again, seeing it yourself can make all the difference.
FWIW I think all of my UHD discs are better than regular bluray version. Some are only slightly better....unfortunately with the way prices are, that might seem like a negative. I never buy a 4K disc at the going rate of $29.99...I wait till there is a sale where it drops down to either $19.99 or $24.99....
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Super fun video guys. I love UHD but the prices are far too high and the selection of films, bar 20 of so- in my opinion, is appalling.

In some cases you can literally pick up 7-8 blurays for the cost of 1 UHD disc.

Still, I am hoping to fully support the latest format- all we need is a price drop and a few decent films please!!!
Ralph Potts, Haiej and Ulisescm like this.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Indeed, I purchased the UHD Blu-ray of Oblivion and I can see more detail and subtle colors in the movie than before. For a movie that is visually striking to begin with and one that I enjoy revisiting from time to time, the upgrade is worthy. Do I now see what is 2K rendered CGI and what is not easily in this movie? Yes. Does that cheapen the experience of "fake" upscaled UHD or demean the movie? That is up to you. For me, I appreciate seeing the movie clearly and it proves that my UHD TV, given the proper materials, can show me more than I have ever seen before.

For most of my family, they'll not notice the difference from HD blu-ray and they'll just enjoy the movie.

But on the Internet opinions and judgments are more plentiful than judgments based on facts, I haven't offered any facts other than my experience: your subjective reality might vary from mine.
b0rnarian, Haiej and Ulisescm like this.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
I just have like 30 uhd discs and every one is a clear improvement over the 1080 Blu-ray, every single one, if not the resolution, the wider color spectrum, the hdr, the better compression and less artifacts and of course object based audio. No competition.
I hope Ender's Game is not part of your collection. It's one of the worst UHD titles out there, and clearly inferior to the blu ray version as far as visual quality.
Ulisescm likes this.

LG 65EF9500
LG 65E6P
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Just to clarify a point, human beings perceive sharpness as a function of contrast not resolution. High-resolution formats provide a more natural gradient of tones. Optimizing contrast is the key to sharpness. Obviously, optimizing both gives us the best viewing experience.
Haiej and Ulisescm like this.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For my system+eyes, 4k resolution hasn't really vowed me either, but HDR is great!

Slightly off the topic, is / was there an effort to do 1080p with HDR / wide color gamut? IMO 1080p + HDR will be totally worth it + lesser cable/handshake issues, bandwidth efficient for streaming etc. too!
Haiej likes this.

7.2.4 HT ATMOS setup, itching to go --> 9.2.6; need a reasonable processor for salaried people ;-)
Strong proponent of slow down in yearly revision/update cycle!!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 4066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls09 View Post
For my system+eyes, 4k resolution hasn't really vowed me either, but HDR is great!

Slightly off the topic, is / was there an effort to do 1080p with HDR / wide color gamut? IMO 1080p + HDR will be totally worth it + lesser cable/handshake issues, bandwidth efficient for streaming etc. too!
Many of us would love to see 1080p content with HDR and WCG; as you say, it would be totally worth it. However, it's up to the studios to release such content, and I'm not holding my breath for that.
Haiej likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Many of us would love to see 1080p content with HDR and WCG; as you say, it would be totally worth it. However, it's up to the studios to release such content, and I'm not holding my breath for that.
Good to hear you also feel it will be totally worth it!
Its beyond my pay-grade, but it seems like TV, BDPlayer manufacturers have hijacked and pushed the 4k agenda and studios see it as an opportunity to resell old non-4k content, repackaged w/ a "Remastered in 4k" label - GiGo (GarbageIn GarbageOut) w/ no real benefit for consumer. I think AVS writers and editors like yourself may have real user following, base and power to influence this. So please write about this and see if we can push it (1080p w/ HDR) up OR get on the agenda.

7.2.4 HT ATMOS setup, itching to go --> 9.2.6; need a reasonable processor for salaried people ;-)
Strong proponent of slow down in yearly revision/update cycle!!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 AM

Liked: 24
I'm glad you mentioned 3D. One of the major magazines (S&V) is more or less putting it down in most of its articles, and is mainly dismissing it now as a gimmick. There are many of us who like it and want more of it. Sure, it could be better in many ways, such as without glasses, but for now it is what we have so let us enjoy it. I always passed on The Walk, but after hearing you guys talk about it, it is on my list to buy. I want to see if the vertigo hits me. Good show.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JCP.. Optoma HD142x, 120" DaLite, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Klipsch Heresy fronts and backs, Infinity center, Klipsch KG-2 sides, Velodyne HGS 18" sub, Paradigm PW2200 sub, Advent AV550S sub, Energy 15" sub. Panasonic BDT-310 & Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Rays.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Hi Ralph,

Enjoyed the video, but I really enjoy and value your reviews. It's uncanny to me how much your tastes line up with mine, which for me, is the what a great reviewer should be about. Some well-known reviewers try to be elitist, and impress us with their knowledge and interpretation of the hidden 'artistic' insights into films. Your reviews are spot on and simply tell us what we need to hear.

At one time, one of your threads on this forum listed your 'Guilty Pleasures' (or something like that). I was amazed how many of your favorites on that list were mine as well, and the ones I hadn't seen before became my favorites because of your recommendation. Anyway, I hope you keep doing this for a very long time. You're the best!!!

Thanks,
Darrell
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Hi Ralph,

Enjoyed the video, but I really enjoy and value your reviews. It's uncanny to me how much your tastes line up with mine, which for me, is the what a great reviewer should be about. Some well-known reviewers try to be elitist, and impress us with their knowledge and interpretation of the hidden 'artistic' insights into films. Your reviews are spot on and simply tell us what we need to hear.

At one time, one of your threads on this forum listed your 'Guilty Pleasures' (or something like that). I was amazed how many of your favorites on that list were mine as well, and the ones I hadn't seen before became my favorites because of your recommendation. Anyway, I hope you keep doing this for a very long time. You're the best!!!

Thanks,
Darrell
Greetings,

darrell, I am very glad that you enjoyed the show, and my reviews as well. I very much appreciate your comments, and can't think of a better compliment. Thank you!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old Today, 07:44 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 791
The studios are triple dipping or more DVD, Blu Ray 4K UHD

I upgraded all my 600 DVDs to Blu Ray but won't do that for UHD!

I now only buy UHD after I rent the Blu Ray and read Ralph's reviews Thank you Ralph you rock

95 and above for me

Except when ATMOS is at 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blu-ray , hdr , Home Theater Geeks , immersive audio , uhd blu-ray