Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread 05-05-2017, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 4083
Immersive Hearing

Kaushik Sunder, research scientist at Ossic, talks about immersive hearing—how humans hear in three dimensions. Topics include the anatomy of the ear and how head-related transfer functions (HRTFs) affect the spectral balance of what we hear based on the direction from which a sound comes as well as individual characteristics such as the shape of the outer ear and size of the head. He also discusses binaural recording, and we listen to a clip of such a recording he made in Bali; for more of Kaushik's binaural recordings, go to https://soundcloud.com/soundmaps_beingthere. Finally, he describes the Ossic X headphones and how they reproduce 3D immersive sound. Also, answers to chat-room questions and more.

http://www.avsforum.com/immersive-hearing/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 05-07-2017, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Great technology. One has to wonder why such a product didn't happen years ago. Too bad that Atmos implementation seems to be years away. This and wireless transmission of immersive bitstreams.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3 of 7 Unread 05-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Very interesting show. The product seems quite interesting and I'd like to hear it in person. I have had my hearing tested and it is just fine in both ears but I tend to be "left eared" in that I tend to listen better out of that ear. I think most people are that way and when listening back to mixes I always tend to turn my head just a little bit to favor the left ear over the right. My wife seems to be the opposite. This product could make mixing using headphones better and possibly more accurate than using near fields.

post #4 of 7 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
....Finally, he describes the Ossic X headphones and how they reproduce 3D immersive sound...
The description was quite sketchy. He mentioned that the headphones measures the size of listener's head. But I believe that there is no way to calculate individual's HRTF using the head size alone. During their Kickstarter campaign early last year, the company claimed that the headphones uses multiple sensors to measure listener's pinna anatomy for HRTF calculation. But there was no mentioning of such mechanism in his talk. He also didn't explain how multiple headphone speakers work in HRTF-based 3D audio rendering.
post #5 of 7 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Whenever I open a thread and cant pernounce several words in the first post..I know to click the arrow out and back away slowly.
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Kaushik Sunder, research scientist at Ossic, talks about immersive hearing—how humans hear in three dimensions. Topics include the anatomy of the ear and how head-related transfer functions (HRTFs) affect the spectral balance of what we hear based on the direction from which a sound comes as well as individual characteristics such as the shape of the outer ear and size of the head. He also discusses binaural recording...

http://www.avsforum.com/immersive-hearing/
Scott,
With regards to HRTF and binaural recordings, it seems to me that you would want the microphones to be placed wherever your point sources will be; i.e., if the listener is using over-the-ear headphones, then the microphones should be placed at the location of the headphone speakers, not inside the ear. That way, you'd achieve true coupling of the recording and playback.

For this reason, binaural recordings don't make sense to me. If the recordings are created using microphones that are inserted into a dummy head, then the recording has that generic HRTF added to it. When the listener then listens to the recording, their own HRTF will also come into play, thus doubling the HRTF 'effect'(for lack of a better term). The only way a binaural recording makes sense to me is if the listener is using in-ear monitors, thus bypassing their own HRTF and only ending up with the one imposed by the recording. Am I missing something here?

Pioneer SC-95
Epos Epic 2(LCR), Emotiva UAW 6.2(Rear), Aperion Intimus LC-I6(In-ceiling Atmos/DTS:X)
x2 Dayton Ultimax 18" sealed(subs), Behringer Inuke 6000DSP(sub amp),
Vizio P-65C1 LED HDR
Oppo UDP-203 HD-Blu Ray Player, Oppo DV971H DVD Player, Roku Premiere+
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post
Scott,
With regards to HRTF and binaural recordings, it seems to me that you would want the microphones to be placed wherever your point sources will be; i.e., if the listener is using over-the-ear headphones, then the microphones should be placed at the location of the headphone speakers, not inside the ear. That way, you'd achieve true coupling of the recording and playback.
At the same time you're also loosing all the directional information a HRTF creates. By the way, there is a recording technique that does what you describe: ORTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post
For this reason, binaural recordings don't make sense to me. If the recordings are created using microphones that are inserted into a dummy head, then the recording has that generic HRTF added to it. When the listener then listens to the recording, their own HRTF will also come into play, thus doubling the HRTF 'effect'(for lack of a better term). The only way a binaural recording makes sense to me is if the listener is using in-ear monitors, thus bypassing their own HRTF and only ending up with the one imposed by the recording. Am I missing something here?
There is only the individual ear canal resonance added (which is thought not to contribute to localization) when you listen to binaural recordings with regular over/on ear headphones. You still listen through a non-individualized HRTF which might work for some but not for others.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
headphones , Home Theater Geeks , hrtfs , immersive audio