• 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2017, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked: 4245
Chat-Room Q&A

AVS Forum Associate Editor Mark Henninger and I spend a pleasant hour answering questions from the chat room. Topics include why home projectors don't yet implement Dolby Vision, 4K/UHD projectors in the $2-3K price range, home-theater lighting control, whether we prefer the LG E7 or Sony A1E OLED TV, will there ever be a single HDR format, high-resolution audio, headphone virtualization, VR for movies, Dolby Atmos, and more.

http://www.avsforum.com/chat-room-qa-6/
skoolpsyk and Daniel Chaves like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Hey Scott, HLG has been described both as another format of HDR, as well as an alternative to PQ(most notably by Joe Kane). How is it both?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Loved the Q&A but as a heads up that some of the upcoming 4k projectors do not have 3d playback example being the new 4k Optoma projectors are not offering 3d capability which is sad.

But very informative. I am also Apartment living so everything I have done I can undo, but I havent tried putting black fabric up on my ceiling just yet, what kind of clips would you recommend to secure the fabric to the ceiling so it doesnt fall down or losen over time and sag.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player

post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 11002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Loved the Q&A but as a heads up that some of the upcoming 4k projectors do not have 3d playback example being the new 4k Optoma projectors are not offering 3d capability which is sad.

But very informative. I am also Apartment living so everything I have done I can undo, but I havent tried putting black fabric up on my ceiling just yet, what kind of clips would you recommend to secure the fabric to the ceiling so it doesnt fall down or losen over time and sag.
I use a staple gun.

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I use a staple gun.
Ah Im not sure if that will work with my ceilings as I have that nasty popcorn ceilings. ^^;;

Do you see the silver staples or do they make black staples?

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Ah Im not sure if that will work with my ceilings as I have that nasty popcorn ceilings. ^^;;

Do you see the silver staples or do they make black staples?
You could color the staples with a Sharpie prior to use
imagic likes this.

Setups:
Spoiler!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
You could color the staples with a Sharpie prior to use
I might just use something like this for a cleaner look and I can always take it down later.

http://www.fabric-wall.com/half-inch-track.aspx

post #8 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 214
no Dolby Vision for projectors

We have to remember how controlling Dolby is. With a DV TV, no user adjustments are allowed while watching DV content. Dolby is also the inventor of PQ with its absolute levels. (Optimizing the TV signal for only 12 bits, when there was no need to optimize it. A 16 bit 422 4k@ 24 fps fits within the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth).

So with projectors, with no guarantee of absolute brightness, it may be a non-starter for Dolby. Yet with DV movie theaters, they obviously have no issue with a 108 NIT max peak output.

IMHO, this is just a red herring, as one could have user inputs to state what max output you have, or a projector vendor could have an inexpensive sensor that measured peak brightness during a setup mode.

As to the advantage of dynamic metadata, (IMHO) the advantage is totally overblown. Any projector with dynamic iris now must be calculating on-the-fly the same peak and average white level per frame that is in the DV metadata. And then you can guarantee it's accurate.

So to me, the only real advantage to DV is 12 bit signals with no banding.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
We have to remember how controlling Dolby is. With a DV TV, no user adjustments are allowed while watching DV content. Dolby is also the inventor of PQ with its absolute levels. (Optimizing the TV signal for only 12 bits, when there was no need to optimize it. A 16 bit 422 4k@ 24 fps fits within the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth).

So with projectors, with no guarantee of absolute brightness, it may be a non-starter for Dolby. Yet with DV movie theaters, they obviously have no issue with a 108 NIT max peak output.

IMHO, this is just a red herring, as one could have user inputs to state what max output you have, or a projector vendor could have an inexpensive sensor that measured peak brightness during a setup mode.

As to the advantage of dynamic metadata, (IMHO) the advantage is totally overblown. Any projector with dynamic iris now must be calculating on-the-fly the same peak and average white level per frame that is in the DV metadata. And then you can guarantee it's accurate.

So to me, the only real advantage to DV is 12 bit signals with no banding.
TCL P-Series lets you choose dark or bright room with Dolby Vision, to adjust for ambient light. So that's not strictly true.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
TCL P-Series lets you choose dark or bright room with Dolby Vision, to adjust for ambient light. So that's not strictly true.
Is that part of the PQ spec? Is it part of DV spec? Or is that just what a manufacturer decided to do?

And exactly what does it do in low vs high ambient?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
Is that part of the PQ spec? Is it part of DV spec? Or is that just what a manufacturer decided to do?

And exactly what does it do in low vs high ambient?
I don't know what contracts TCL has with Dolby. Bright is brighter overall.
rak306 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby vision , high-res audio , Home Theater Geeks , virtual reality

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page