Audio Mastering at The Bakery - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Robert Hammond
  • 1 Post By AlanAbby
  • 1 Post By Robert Hammond
  • 1 Post By Robert Hammond

post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 4375
Audio Mastering at The Bakery

Mastering engineer Eric Boulanger talks about the process of mastering audio for music recordings. Topics include how he got into audio engineering after being a professional violinist, the process of mastering (especially for vinyl), the "loudness wars" (or as Eric prefers, the "loudness plague"), how he started his current facility called The Bakery, stories from mastering such titles as the soundtrack from La La Land and albums by Rufus Wainwright, Diana Krall, and Colbie Calliat, his involvement in Apple's "Mastered for iTunes” initiative, the real value of high-resolution audio, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

http://www.avsforum.com/audio-mastering-bakery/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Look at this guy's mastering history. I see plenty of albums under his belt that were mastered like complete garbage. Overly compressed, Loudness War bull****. And he himself refers to it as a "plague"? Maybe he should start practicing what he preaches.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did you listen to the interview? The artist wants it loud, the producer wants it loud, the mixer mixes it loud. Whether or not the mix is overly compressed and loud is really out of his hands. His job is to ensure the audio sounds the same on the final medium as what was given to him.

As much as some of us here hate the loud compressed mixes they are here to stay. The majority of consumers purchasing the music prefer the loud mix. They are purchasing music from iTunes or listening on the radio where the mixes are loudness normalized. Eric even points out that mainstream audio gear is designed with loud mixes in mind and attempting to play a track with wide dynamic range on that equipment would most likely sound worse.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Good podcast. Too bad it doesn't look like the loudness war is going away any time soon or ever

Room | Designed by Ingvar Öhman, built by me |
Sound | Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a1 (in the future also 6 x Ino a2) Subs: 4 x L26ROY |
Picture | Epson TW9300, 2,35:1 DIY AT screen + 1,78:1 pulldown |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Behringer Ep4000(fan modded), miniDSP 2x4 balanced, Panasonic UB700 |
post #5 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Liked: 4
Scott, sorry to hear that Lisa LaPorte cancelled "Home Theater Geeks". I enjoyed the show immensely. Glad to see you'll still be appearing on Leo's "Tech Guy" show. Maybe HTG can reappear on the AVS website.
bsanf3 and barfle like this.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Really enjoyed it thanks.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hammond View Post
Scott, sorry to hear that Lisa LaPorte cancelled "Home Theater Geeks". I enjoyed the show immensely. Glad to see you'll still be appearing on Leo's "Tech Guy" show. Maybe HTG can reappear on the AVS website.
WHAT!!!!!!!!! Leo is such a dick!!!! only show that was still good on the whole system. I'm writing his sponsors and telling them I won't buy any of their products because of this. Scott your to nice of a person to tell us why? but I'm done with The Laporte's they make Trump look like a Boy Scout. BTW Scott how about a audio only podcast? that can be done on your own very cheap and I'm sure we will ALL! chip in to help defer the cost.
barfle likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thumbs down Home Theater Geeks cancellation

Scott, I tuned in to HTG this afternoon, and much to my disappointment, I discovered that the show has been cancelled. I'm ticked to the max, because it was the only show I bothered to watch live (when I could). They didn't even give you a chance to have a "best of" episode or anything like that.

I know that there hadn't been any sponsorship for the past several months, but you had a loyal following, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to miss the show.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that you started the show without TWiT, so maybe there's a chance that you'll be able to revive it in the fashion it existed before.

Yes, I'm pissed. And I doubt that I'm the only one.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM

I suggest all of you go to twit.tv and click the "contact us" link and, if you are unhappy about Scott's firing, let them know it. Chose the "general inquiries" email. I really let them have it, I really this is as I said "another milepost in the eventual demise of TWIT". I doubt even if Scott wanted to do a podcast on this AVS site, Leo/Lisa would even let him use the name "Home Theater Geeks". If they couldn't like up sponsors, then they didn't work hard enough. There's a whole lot more about all of this at this website. I'm new so I can't give the actual link but it's at total drama dot net.
barfle likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfle View Post
Scott, I tuned in to HTG this afternoon, and much to my disappointment, I discovered that the show has been cancelled. I'm ticked to the max, because it was the only show I bothered to watch live (when I could). They didn't even give you a chance to have a "best of" episode or anything like that.

I know that there hadn't been any sponsorship for the past several months, but you had a loyal following, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to miss the show.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that you started the show without TWiT, so maybe there's a chance that you'll be able to revive it in the fashion it existed before.

Yes, I'm pissed. And I doubt that I'm the only one.
Yes, you're not the only one who is angry. But you hit the nail on the head--without sponsors, the show can't continue, even with us loyal followers.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-06-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Lightbulb TWiT's email

I have already sent a "strongly worded message" to TWiT, encouraging them to reconsider their cancellation of HTG, at least having a reasonable sendoff episode.

The email is info@twit.tv

I hope they get the message loud and clear.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-08-2017, 07:14 AM

On 10/7/17's "The Tech Guy" program, Leo announced the ending of HTG and admitted it was his (Leo's) fault not Scott's. Scott said he's talking to AVS about getting the program to move over to AVS somehow. Leo offered to do what he could to help Scott achieve that, whatever that means. So that's something.
joeinmilwaukee likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy Mastering engineer Eric Boulanger, the last HTG Podcast???

I liked the show with Mastering engineer Eric Boulanger, I was really shocked to hear from the AV Rant Podcast that the show was cancelled.

Hopefully you can get to resurrect it like Dick DeBartolo and Chad Johnson did for The Giz Wiz, Chad Johnson did for OMGcraft, Tom Merritt and Brian Brushwood for Framerate (now Cordkillers), Tom Merritt did for Tech News Today (now DTNS with Sarah Lane recently joining as a regular host) and Dr. Kiki's Science Hour. I didn't realize there's been that many shows now retired on the TWiT Network that I had watched there.

At least the TWiT network still has Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ and Jason Howell hosting shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
high resolution audio , Home Theater Geeks , loudness wars , mastering , vinyl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page