100Likes

post #1 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Home Theater Geeks Canceled

I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been canceled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Over the course of 373 episodes, it has been my distinct privilege and pleasure to interview many fascinating members of the audio/video community, including such notables as THX co-founder Tomlinson Holman (my very first guest!), music legend Alan Parsons, and special-effects wizard Douglas Trumbull. Of course, the lesser-known guests were no less important, and I thank them all for sharing their deep technical insight into the world of audio and video.

In addition to all my guests, I want to thank my audience for watching and listening to the show. It has been very gratifying to receive your feedback via email and PM as well as in person at various events. I'm very glad to have provided a weekly dose of audio/video geekery to those who find the subject as compelling as I do.

What about resurrecting Home Theater Geeks on a different platform? That's certainly a possibility. But for now, I've decided to take a break from the weekly work of lining up guests and conducting the show itself. I'll be considering other options, but for the time being, Home Theater Geeks is on hiatus.

Meanwhile, you can still enjoy past episodes. All 373 shows are archived and available on the TWiT website, and episodes 220 to 373 can be found here on AVS Forum.

Thanks again for all your support; it's been a great eight years! And of course, I'll still be posting articles, reviews, and answers to your audio/video questions on AVS Forum. I look forward to continuing to interact with you in the forums as well as via email and PM, so please keep those virtual cards and letters coming!
jojo57 and Maxrbest.txatt like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 10-10-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Wow that's a shame really.

will the old episodes stay available or disappear. There is just so much great infos in there.

I really appreciated that show, and wish you the best for the future.

Regard Chris
jojo57, Matt2026 and barfle like this.
post #3 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Sorry to hear this!

I don't sign on anymore, just lurk and view the few threads that I follow but I always watched your podcast.

All of the really good guests will be missed. Hope it gets revived again.
jojo57 and barfle like this.

post #4 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Oh no! That's such a shame Scott!

I've watched every episode for probably the last 2 years and I have learned a lot, and applied a lot to my own home theater.

I work from home, at a desk, and have often had a podcast playing on a second monitor while working.

A massive thank you from me Scott, and I hope it gets revived ASAP!

P.S. I'd also love to see another HT of the month video soon...
post #5 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Thanks for all effort you put into this...it will be missed !
jojo57 and Matt2026 like this.
post #6 of 65 Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3607
Too bad. HTG was my favourite podcast. Watched every episode without fail. ALWAYS learned something.
jojo57, snpanago, freeman4 and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 65 Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Dear Scott,

Thank you so much, first of all, for the tremendous work you've done with the Home Theater Geeks Podcast. It's a unique show that delivered content that I always found useful and entertaining. It's certainly among my favourite podcasts to listen to, and this message truly cannot express how much I will miss the show during its hiatus.

Given the importance, reach, and popularity of AVS Forum, I can't imagine you will avoid podcasting for any great length of time. Do enjoy some time to yourself, though! You most certainly deserve it.

As a co-host of the AVRant Podcast, I can definitely appreciate the amount of work that goes into making a weekly show! I genuinely believe that most listeners appreciate how much time and effort goes into making a podcast, but not everyone fully comprehends the dedication that it takes to put out a show each and every week. Tom Andry and I occasionally conduct interviews, but the scheduling and preparation are challenges that prevent us from making it a frequent and regular part of AVRant. So the fact that you conducted such thoroughly researched, prepared, educational, and entertaining interviews every single week has garnered my utmost respect and admiration. And my words are inadequate to convey my understanding of what this labour of love means to those of us who are passionate about both home theater and podcasting.

If you ever miss talking about home theater into a microphone, you are welcome to come talk with us on AVRant any time you'd like! That is a standing invitation to both you and Mark.

With great respect and gratitude,

- Rob H. - AVRant Podcast Co-host
post #8 of 65 Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have learned an immense amount from HTG. Not just about how to set up home theaters (heck I haven't moved beyond 2.1 audio), but good basic technical information about color, imaging, audio, etc. that is just generally useful. It was through HTG that I became aware of AVSForum. I'll look forward to continuing to learn from you, here.
jojo57, freeman4 and barfle like this.
post #9 of 65 Old 10-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks for hosting the show Scott. It was great while it lasted.
jojo57 likes this.
post #10 of 65 Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Wow, Scott.

I'm really gonna miss your podcasts. With so much fluff and blatant marketing hype saturating the internet, your podcasts were a true jewel amid the noise. I can't pretend to know how hard you worked to put your shows together each week, but I was always impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge.

Thank you very much for your efforts all these years and I look forward to learning from you and sharing this adventure with you in the future.

Warmest regards,
Mike
post #11 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
What about resurrecting Home Theater Geeks on a different platform? That's certainly a possibility. But for now, I've decided to take a break from the weekly work of lining up guests and conducting the show itself. I'll be considering other options, but for the time being, Home Theater Geeks is on hiatus.
I agree with the others it's a shame it's stopped for now, though if/when you want to continue it after the break, you could upload the new episodes on YouTube or some other site (it was already uploaded on YouTube so it could continue there and/or other sites). Having it continue on sites like YouTube may also allow non-live stuff to be edited in.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 10-04-2017 at 05:04 AM.
post #12 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Sorry to hear the news

Must-see/hear for all A/V enthusiasts.

You've covered so much ground that a lot of bases are covered for a while.

A/V is in a state of churn right now (More than usual) with affordable true 4K home projection vs faux-K, ATSC 3.0 (new tuners, etc), all the HDR flavors & standards, OTA channel reallocations, HDMI 2.1+, eARC, processors/receivers with ever more Atmos/DTSX channel support moving forward, 8K panels and sources, etc.

TIme to take a sabbatical and let the wheels churn until things stabilize...

Amazing I became aware of the show only in the past year or so. I Suspect many AVS forum members may not have checked it out either, so lots of backlog to watch.
jojo57 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #13 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been canceled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Over the course of 373 episodes, it has been my distinct privilege and pleasure to interview many fascinating members of the audio/video community, including such notables as THX co-founder Tomlinson Holman (my very first guest!), music legend Alan Parsons, and special-effects wizard Douglas Trumbull. Of course, the lesser-known guests were no less important, and I thank them all for sharing their deep technical insight into the world of audio and video.

In addition to all my guests, I want to thank my audience for watching and listening to the show. It has been very gratifying to receive your feedback via email and PM as well as in person at various events. I'm very glad to have provided a weekly dose of audio/video geekery to those who find the subject as compelling as I do.

Thanks again for all your support; it's been a great eight years! And of course, I'll still be posting articles, reviews, and answers to your audio/video questions on AVS Forum. I look forward to continuing to interact with you in the forums as well as via email and PM, so please keep those virtual cards and letters coming!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (in Darth Vader Voice)

Are you gonna at least get a final goodbye episode? Love your podcast, watched it every week. Hate to see it go Scott.
jojo57, Matt2026 and barfle like this.
post #14 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to hear this news, 1st Tom Petty, now this...
The show will be missed but you will live on here at AVS!
post #15 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks, Scott for having produced many interesting and informative shows.
Along with many others, I will miss watching each week.
I hope you will be able to resume in the future.

Ron Johnson
jojo57, [Irishman] and barfle like this.
post #16 of 65 Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 208

Always informative and great to watch and listen to.

Sure -- take a rest, but we'll expect you back before too long.

Denon AVR-X7200WA (preamp mode) + DUAL DDRC-88A's, LCR JBL M2, Q-SYS Core 110f, Class D Amps, QSC CXD4.2Q, CXD4.5Q
Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, Darbee DVP5000, Xbox One, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 DIY AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, eeColor 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-105, Mac Mni 2012 + JRiver MC 20, QNAP TVS-871 NAS
post #17 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmartguy2005 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (in Darth Vader Voice)

Are you gonna at least get a final goodbye episode? Love your podcast, watched it every week. Hate to see it go Scott.
I have learned a lot from the deep dives into a variety of AV topics and gained from the opinion and knowledge of those who have unique knowledge and experience. On the rare occasions that I disagreed with your conclusions, for instance I like 3D, I still thought you reached your conclusion with much thought. We geeks have lost a champion and communicator.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #18 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Sorry to hear this Scott.

I went to Twit today to watch the latest episode with the Sony UHD expert and couldn't find Home Theater Geeks on the Twit network. Then I found this thread. I will miss your excellent interviews and industry information.

Thanks for all the work, Scott.
post #19 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Scott while I think you deserve a break, I hope avs will do a audio podcast in the near future. As for Twit I no longer have a use for it. My opinion of "The Laportes" has been dwindling for some time. He has gotten very full of himself and more that a little arrogant. I suggest while Scott takes a break tune into AVexcel with Robert Heron and Patrick Norton and throw them some coin.
jojo57, LarrynKy and barfle like this.
post #20 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Grimani and Kane shows...10/10
Flegint and freeman4 like this.
post #21 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you so much Scott, you did a fantastic job and I'll miss my weekly does of Home Theater Geekery!
post #22 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sad day for Home Cinema Enthusiasts

[QUOTE=Scott Wilkinson;54893862]I deeply regret to report that my podcast, Home Theater Geeks, has been cancelled by TWiT, the online IPTV station that has been its home for nearly eight years. The decision was purely economic; it had nothing to do with the quality of the show, which everyone at TWiT agrees was excellent.

Scott,

I'm really stunned, and saddened by this news.

Home Theater Geeks (I really struggle with the US spelling of Theatre) was by far the best, and most geeky, show on the Twit network. I looked forward to it every week. I watched live and joined the chat room as often as I could. You read many of my questions and I've received great answers from your guest geeks.

The breath of knowledgeable guests was absolutely second to none, and you, Scott, have been a truly excellent host.
What really makes this hard to stomach is the way it has just been yanked off the Twit network, without even a final show to bring it to some sort of fitting conclusion.

Scott and co. you'll be much missed.

Best regards from the UK,

James (THX1138 in the HTG chat room)
jojo57, freeman4, AlanAbby and 1 others like this.
post #23 of 65 Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So sad!

Many thanks for all the enjoyment!
jojo57 likes this.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #24 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 345
The podcast will be sorely missed here. Hope there will be a revival at some time in the not too distant future. You provided a lot of information not available elsewhere.
jojo57 likes this.

post #25 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 3014
Very sad to hear this. I came here looking to see where today's episode was, because it's normally up on Youtube by now... didn't expect this at all. I agree with others frustrated at the lack of a "goodbye" finale episode.

Perhaps this was hinted at at the end of last week's, when Scott said today's episode was "scheduled to be..." with a lot of emphasis on the "scheduled". If you re-watch it you'll see.

I want to thankyou especially for the calibration epis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAbby View Post
Scott while I think you deserve a break, I hope avs will do a audio podcast in the near future. As for Twit I no longer have a use for it. My opinion of "The Laportes" has been dwindling for some time. He has gotten very full of himself and more that a little arrogant. I suggest while Scott takes a break tune into AVexcel with Robert Heron and Patrick Norton and throw them some coin.
that's http://www.avexcel.com/episodes?format=RSS if I read you correctly? Can anyone recommend any others? I only know of
http://feeds.feedburner.com/HdtvPodcast both audio only.
AlanAbby, barfle and Musician like this.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #26 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 998
While we are sad to see the show go, let us learn that video podcasting is expensive. So if there is a show you like, watch the ads, patronize the advertisers, use Patreon or say goodbye. Consider this your wake up call.
Scott I watched every episode of HTG, you did a lot during it's run, if any of your former guests would like to write some pieces up in the future I'm sure a lot us would like to read them if AVS is cool with it.
Flegint and barfle like this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #27 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Scott, I was seriously bummed when I logged into TWiT on my Roku on Thursday, and although I recognized several people in the chat room, I was quite confused by what I saw on screen. I noted that someone had checked the schedule and saw that HTG was simply gone from the schedule. I checked the HTG page on TWiT, and that's how I found out that the show was "no longer in production." HTG was the only show I ever watch live (except for the occasional weather report), and on Roku's TWiT channel, your show no longer shows up even for the handful of recent shows. So I've written a "strongly worded" email to TWiT, and dumped the TWiT channel from my Roku. No need for it any more.

As far as supporting your advertisers go, I did buy a Drobo and I've been a Netflix subscriber since before streaming. I can't say that I ever bought flowers from bouqs, but when a product made sense to me, I checked it out and occasionally spent my money, hopefully wisely.

I seriously hope you consider reviving the show before too long, although I suspect you're not suffering from too much leisure time anyway. Loved the show, loved most of the guests (nobody's perfect), and I hope I can find a resource that's half as useful in the meantime.
[Irishman], freeman4 and AlanAbby like this.
post #28 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Scott I really enjoyed home Theater Geeks! I hope you bring it back someday. Again, thanks for the great work!
post #29 of 65 Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed the show.
post #30 of 65 Old 10-07-2017, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks Scott for all your hard work on HTG, it’s a real shame that TWiT.tv have decided to discontinue the podcast as it has been one of my favourites. I have particularly enjoyed your insightful interviews with the real movers & shakers in the AV, film & broadcast industries, and I will miss that amazing laugh!
chirpie and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Podcasts

Tags
Home Theater Geeks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page