Toshiba XF550 series calibration service menu access and usage - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 307 Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well I could not get my set to read the card, perhaps because all I had was an 8 gig card in an SD adapter. I will get a smaller card and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 307 Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

pennhaven-
He used a device that generates test patterns (Sencor I believe) and was connected to my display via HDMI

So these setting are likely not spot on for component but look great for all my HDMI connected devices (PC, DISH DVR, Toshiba HD-DVD)

Thanks. I tried your calibrated settings on my 46XV540 (which is supposed to be the same internally) and unfortunately they were really bad with my set.

Not all that surpisingly there seems to be a really significant difference between our sets. The best settings I have found for HDMI source (Motorola Cable DVR) are lewisad's "Dish" settings that used to be on jam2001's spreadsheet. For some reason these are not the same settings that I see now when I search lewisad's posts, and they no longer are on jam2001's spreadsheet. I guess must have I imagined them.

[Edit]Well, I did find an earlier version of jam2001's spreadsheet (later version) that does include lewisad's settings from his post #80 here. But for some reason many the values now shown there are different from those I wrote down when calibrating my set last summer. Still but just wanted to clear that up a little.[/Edit]
post #273 of 307 Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 AM

I have a Toshiba 46XF550U with a March 2008 built date. After I applied the firmware update,
the set turned off when rebooting as it was suppose to, but did not turn back on as the instructions stated it should. I waited about five minutes and I finally turned it back on manually. When I checked, the firmware appears to have
been installed:

XF550U
Oct 6 2008 - 11:45:30
FW: OF

Is this correct?
post #274 of 307 Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM

See post # 236.

BUT the real question is "does your set still work correctly now?"
post #275 of 307 Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM

Works perfectly.
post #276 of 307 Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 AM

(posted this earlier in the wrong area)
52xf550 fans,
...tried to update the firmware today...followed all directions and inserted card...OH Crap!!
it went all the way in. Further investigation... no plug , no nothing just an empty hole where the plate was removed.. the SD card is laying flat inside the unit...Toshiba., I hope you are reading this.
post #277 of 307 Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
LeRoy,

Thank You.

I bought a 52XV540U a month ago and have struggled with it from day one.
I was totally fed up with seeing green in places it wasn't supposed to be in dark areas.

I tried your settings in post #130 and it looks great now. Spectacular I would say.
White looks white, black looks black, and I have good detail, color, and contrast.

I really appreciate your time and effort in this thread.
post #278 of 307 Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bway View Post

Toshiba., I hope you are reading this.

lol

Toshiba is about as far away from this thread as could possibly be. Call toshiba, or better yet an authorized repair man in your area.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #279 of 307 Old 03-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
Leroy!

I have the Toshiba 52XF550U and I applied your settings.. the colors are perfect! movies on the xbox360 using hdmi are beautiful! Video games have incredible color now! Thank you very much for your time I really appreciate you posting your settings here. I am seriously blown away! Watching "A river runs through it" tonight and I am sure it will be awesome!
post #280 of 307 Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM

been there ...done that ...getting my money back
post #281 of 307 Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 PM

[I tried to update the firmware today...followed all directions and inserted card...OH Crap!!
it went all the way in. Further investigation... no plug , no nothing just an empty hole where the plate was removed.. the SD card is laying flat inside the unit...]

Are you sure the card reader did not dislodge inside the set? Directions
do warn against pushing the card all the way in. Perhaps you pushed
the card at a wrong angle? You might want to take the back cover
off and take a closer look.
post #282 of 307 Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM

hi all i have firmware issues with the 42xv540. after trying to install the files which nothing happened when i had the card in. so i pulled the card out and turned off the tv. well now the tv no longer wants to come on. i just get three blinking yellow lights. what gives? anyhow did anyone else experience this same prob? can someone help me out? the service guys wwont be out till monday. blahhhh
post #283 of 307 Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I had the same problem, after unplugging TV for a bit, it came back
I think u have to insert the SD card while the TV is on, as opposed to booting the TV with the card in.
post #284 of 307 Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM

LeRoyK,

What are your settings for:

Noise Reduction
DNR:
MPG Noise Reduction:

and for Clearframe: On/off

Film Stabalization: Smooth/Standard/ or Off

Also, I use this set as a PC monitor. In the nvidia control panel under Digital Color Format, what is the correct setting: RGB, or YCbCR444. I'm hoping someone here would know. Thanks guys!
post #285 of 307 Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
I leave the noise reduction on the lowest setting or off if available. My sources are digital cable or DVD or Blu-ray. The noise reduction makes a mess of good signals and to my eye does not improve poor encoding.

Clearframe is ON always.

Film Stabilization is off for me. I send 1080p 24 from my Blu-ray player. I do not notice much of a difference between FS Off or Standard... Smooth was not pleasing to me. FS is still pretty much of a mystery. AFAIK no one from Toshiba has yet explained what is beening done with each setting when fed each different frame rate.

When I watch a DVD on my Blu-ray player, it is upscaled to 1080p 60. I do see a difference between FS off and FS standard for that material. I have not made up my mind which setting I prefer for that material. Although I usually do not bother to experiment with it, and it is off in most cases.

The panel will accept both RGB and YCbCr444, but I think you will be best served with RGB for most computer material, and YCbCr for video material.

The only time I have a computer hooked to mine is during video calibration. For that task the preferred mode is YCbCr over HDMI.
post #286 of 307 Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 PM

I've been away from this thread for a few months and it looks like there has been some very good information that I've missed. If I can remember my Google Docs password, I will update the spreadsheet to show Leroy's new settings.

Can't wait to try them myself! Thanks Leroy.
post #287 of 307 Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

I had the same problem, after unplugging TV for a bit, it came back
I think u have to insert the SD card while the TV is on, as opposed to booting the TV with the card in.

hey thanx man i was bout to destroy this set and tell everyone at toshiba that they suck. lol. since that day i have yet to install the firmware. The set did come back on after i came back from errands. thankfully. i will try this again. thanx again crussell
post #288 of 307 Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post

Also the COLC register needs to be set one count higher than the desired final setting. Seems like a bug in that register only.

OK, so he has listed COLC 8B on his settings.. so does this mean I need to enter 8C in order to have it land at 8B? Or has he already done this? (meaning 8A is the desired value)

Thanks!
post #289 of 307 Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikk66 View Post

OK, so he has listed COLC 8B on his settings.. so does this mean I need to enter 8C in order to have it land at 8B? Or has he already done this? (meaning 8A is the desired value)

Thanks!

Whatever.

It's not going to be the right setting for you TV anyway.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #290 of 307 Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 PM

so you summed up all 10 pages with one word.. "whatever" ?

Do you mind if I completely ignore you and ask if someone knows the answer?

I understand everyones settings are different, but there has been a lot of work put in by some people here to get this set looking nice, and I think I'll have better luck starting off with their settings (or at least viewing them) more than I would trying to calibrate my own TV with my novice ass.
post #291 of 307 Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so you summed up all 10 pages with one word.. "whatever" ?

Do you mind if I completely ignore you and ask if someone knows the answer?

I understand everyones settings are different, but there has been a lot of work put in by some people here to get this set looking nice, and I think I'll have better luck starting off with their settings (or at least viewing them) more than I would trying to calibrate my own TV with my novice ass.

Your assumption is wrong.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16121112

Your defualt settings are likely closer to accurate than leroys are.

If you want to do a quick dirty, accurate for your set calibration, grab these:
http://www.costore.com/THX/producten...=87&pid=930793

and use any pixar/lucasfilm disc that has the THX optimizer on it. I garuntee that will be closer to accurate than leroy's settings.

For all his time, Leroy really does a disservice posting "HIS" settings wich in no way are accurate beyond his set.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #292 of 307 Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Yes I entered 8C to get 8B while running.
post #293 of 307 Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Your assumption is wrong.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16121112

Your defualt settings are likely closer to accurate than leroys are.

If you want to do a quick dirty, accurate for your set calibration, grab these:
http://www.costore.com/THX/producten...=87&pid=930793

and use any pixar/lucasfilm disc that has the THX optimizer on it. I garuntee that will be closer to accurate than leroy's settings.

For all his time, Leroy really does a disservice posting "HIS" settings wich in no way are accurate beyond his set.

Thanks sotti,

I think what you are saying is accurate, but it may be a bit over the top.

If you don't have a calibration meter, changing values in the service menu may be taking you further away from or closer to a better picture. It will be up to chance.

What you can do with this set is switch to Movie mode, set your backlight appropriate for your viewing environment. The Movie backlight is a bit low for full daylight viewing.

Then use test patterns to set the brightness and contrast. sotti is correct in that most THX discs do contain test patterns for setting brightness and contrast. Brightness will be the most important setting. You want it low enough so that black material shows the least lighting the set is capable of at your backlight setting. But you should also make sure that the darkest gray on the test disk is just visible. These sets are capable of very precise black level control.

For this set contrast won't matter too much. At 100% contrast, 100% white is full on, and lower values show lower intensity. But highlights above 100% white that may or may not be in some programming will not be shown at higher intensity. Moving contrast down to 88, will give some room for highlights to show at more than 100% intensity.

Set the gamma at -4 to best match the gamma curve of the standard.

As far as tuning your set for a perfect shade of gray, my settings probably won't help you that much, this is a panel by panel adjustment. Just leave the color temp at warm with 0 blue drive and 0 green drive. This will get your TV closer to the 65K standard than the other two color temperature settings.

If you don't have a meter, leave the tint control alone. Toshiba does a pretty good job from the factory. The color control is a wildcard, 50 may be too high on your set. But there is quite a bit of variance depending on where the factory put your service menu setting. Look for natural color. I think you will be able to find the spot that is good for most material by trying a few settings.

I keep dynamic backlight on and dynamic contrast off. You might want to do that too.

Above all, enjoy watching your TV.

LeRoy
post #294 of 307 Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Thank LeRoy.. I will try all of that when I get home. I have not gone into the service menu yet, I may in the future..

The set seems to just be "off" with the colors.. Most of the time it seems like it has a brownish/greenish dark filter.. sort of like watching "the matrix" all the time.

I'm really not good with the individual color adjustments. For something like that, is that where the service menu, and your settings, would come in to play? Or should I try to get it right through the color master.

Yes, I do enjoy the set however.. I'm a big video game fan, and playing FPS PC games at 1920x1080 is awesome.

Thanks!
post #295 of 307 Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Hi guys, was just going to see if anyone has any tips. So, pretty much no matter how i set this thing (still no service menu changes yet) i cant seem to get a picture yet im happy with. My main problem is with dark/black scenes. Most bright and day scenes look great, but as soon as the overall color of a scene is dark (or even partially dark, like someone in the shadows) all detail is lost and it just looks like a big black spot.

Had anyone had similar experiences? Ive tried brightness up and down, contrast up and down, backlight etc. It seems to me that 0-100 doesnt even make that large of a difference on this set.

If anyone has any advice, Id love to hear it.

Thanks!
post #296 of 307 Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys, was just going to see if anyone has any tips. So, pretty much no matter how i set this thing (still no service menu changes yet) i cant seem to get a picture yet im happy with. My main problem is with dark/black scenes. Most bright and day scenes look great, but as soon as the overall color of a scene is dark (or even partially dark, like someone in the shadows) all detail is lost and it just looks like a big black spot.

Had anyone had similar experiences? Ive tried brightness up and down, contrast up and down, backlight etc. It seems to me that 0-100 doesnt even make that large of a difference on this set.

If anyone has any advice, Id love to hear it.

Thanks!

make sure any dynamic contrast, dynamic backlight setting is off.

Then use a calibration disc to set you black level. Some dark scenes will have areas of detail that could be scene, but are below the visible threshold as mastered.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #297 of 307 Old 04-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Sounds like dynamic contrast at work. With the right test pattern brightness is very precise on the two sets that I have worked with. Just one click will put the brightness in our out of the precise setting it should be for digital content.

I happen to like dynamic brightness for myself, but it does have an effect on dark levels. You might prefer watching with it off.

For analog content, which includes some broadcast television, the brightness of the source material may be way off. One of the PBS stations we can receive is much 'darker' than the other. If the same show is on both PBS outlets, the one station is always darker than the other, even though both stations are coming in on digital cable. This is not the Toshiba's fault, but the broadcaster has chosen a darker brightness level. (maybe unintentionally)

I highly recommend the brightness pattern on the free AVS HD 709 calibration disk, available from our forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 You will need a Bluray or HD DVD player and a DVD burner or Bluray burner. There is also a .MP4 version for computer playback if you have that type of setup.

One more note on blacks being crushed... stay away from Sports mode, it is set up for very brightly lit outdoor scenes.

Have fun,

LeRoy
post #298 of 307 Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Well it only took me a month, but I've finally got the latest spreadsheet posted. (See my signature for link). You'll note that I changed the order of the columns.

Enjoy!
post #299 of 307 Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks jam, much appreciated here!
post #300 of 307 Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Same issues as this thread talks about with the CUT's doing nothing the whether 00H or FFH makes no difference at 20, 30 or 40 ICR. Not that the tracking is bad, between 30 and 90% its good (Almost perfect between 40 and 80%), but I'd love to clean up Black some, as it is far to red. At 100% there is far to much blue on screen as well, but I'm willing to discount 10% and 100% from the range. Note that on my old 350U CUT and DRV both worked great, sad to see things go from good to worse with time.

ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page