are they any schools for this... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are they any schools for av? i mean to calibrate receivers and tv, custom install stuff of that sort. i leave in LA and would love to do this as a living!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
First things first, improve your grasp of the English language. Next, join the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association (CEDIA- www.cedia.org ), and take advantage of their classes throughout the year (some will be in your area). Another resource is equipment manufacturer trainings at local AV distributors. They are usually free.

You can purchase video recordings of installation methods. One provider is The Training Department (Google for their site). There is no replacement for hands-on experience, however. Get a job with a local company conducting custom installations, start at the bottom, then work your way up. Most companies provide training on and off the job. Some are members of CEDIA and may even pay for your classes. Your aptitude, work ethic, enthusiasm, discipline, communication skills, and desire will determine how far you can go in this, or any, industry.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Ben Waggoner teaches a class at Stanford which covers some of this. I do on site instruction on colorimetry for Set Top Box Manufacturers and Display manufacturers, but I'm a bit expensive for most people. $2400 a day plus travel. Cheap if you are training 10-15 people who are going to be responsible for you device, expensive if you want to learn how to use calibration equipment.

My guide and slates will teach you most of what you need to know for consumer tuning.
www.xyhd.tv/slates

I personally dislike CEDIA. Join SMPTE and CEA, talk with the professionals who design test patterns for a living and teach standards. CEDIA will basically teach you to sell expensive cables that don't do anything to improve anything but the bottom line.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Nonsense! The original poster obviously needs to start with basic audio/video theory and installation fundamentals, then work up to device and system calibration some time in the distant future. Your simplistic appraisal of CEDIA's classes is ludicrous.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Drakaal,

For an expert in the field you should learn how to use spell checker as you do not instill confidence in others when you do not even know how your own skill set is properly spelled. Degrading remarks on other professional organizations which you do not like is also very unprofessional and not something which most of us appreciate reading on this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorimetry
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM

I was a member of CEDIA. Many of the classes and instructors did not have an understanding of what they were teaching, and many didn't understand the basics of theory which I believe are a core requirement for teaching.

I think my opinion is more valid than telling someone who is asking where to start to learn to spell. Generally my experience has been that AVS doesn't ridicule posters for their spelling or grammar, the group is diverse, and English is not a first language for many of its best contribitors.

I know I use quick reply a lot, and as my primary job affords me an editor my spelling is often less than perfect.

I stand by my assertion that the best place to start is CEA and SMPTE, low cost to join, filled with amazing engineers who will take the time to talk with you, and it looks good on a resume in a good number of fields not just home theatre. SMPTE on your Resume will get you at least an interview for most Test Positions at Set Top Box Manufacturers, which there is a growing number of.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been a member of CEDIA for over 8 years and counting. They offer 3 levels of courses from beginner to advanced. When were you a member?

The OP is obviously just beginning in the industry. I was an AV hobbyist for decades before entering the custom home theater industry, worked in several construction trades, worked in educational/institutional AV for years, and designed and built my own home. The courses I've taken over the years have helped me greatly. Time I spent as an apprentice for a custom installation firm proved to me that there's a huge difference between what you learn as a hobbyist, versus what you have to know in the trenches.

There's a lot more to becoming proficient in custom home entertainment design and installation than theory, or pro AV applications. CEDIA classes aren't perfect, but the instructors volunteer their time because they care about elevating the quality of the industry. Many of the CES, Infocom, and EHX courses are taught by the same CEDIA instructors. Every student must take what they hear with a grain of salt.

I've been a member of SMPTE for over 4 years, plus taken classes at CES and from many other providers of all stripes. You have a right to your opinions but I still regard your blanket appraisal of CEDIA courses as shallow, elitist and ridiculous.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM

In addeetion, ha-haaa, you may want to look at ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), they teach proper deesplay calibration for video deesplays. I concur with GeorgeAB regarding CEDIA, great organization to get your feet wet and a complete overview of the CE (Custom Electronics) eendustry. Ok, ok eenuff already.

Guud luck!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inseminator View Post

In addeetion, ha-haaa, you may want to look at ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), they teach proper deesplay calibration for video deesplays. I concur with GeorgeAB regarding CEDIA, great organization to get your feet wet and a complete overview of the CE (Custom Electronics) eendustry. Ok, ok eenuff already.

Guud luck!

Your advice to pleasedontkill - minus the ethnic stereotypes in the typewritten phonetics "deesplay", "eenuff" - is appreciated, I'm sure. This country is already far enough to the right as it is.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Do us all a favor and keep the politics out of this.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page