ControlCAL's Pioneer 8G Kuro / Elite ISF C3 Display Profile(s) Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
ControlCAL
Display Control and Calibration Made Easy!

www.ControlCAL.com

This thread is specifically for discussing ControlCAL's Pioneer 8G ISFccc (C3) Kuro / Elite Display Profile(s).

For ControlCAL general information, questions, feature requests, bug reports and Profiles for other Displays, please CLICK HERE

Current Profile Version: v1.0 (Requires ControlCAL v1.41 Beta 3 Build 19+).
Display Regions Supported: ALL REGIONS.

IMPORTANT:
BEFORE USING THIS PROFILE, PLEASE READ BOTH POST #2 AND POST #3 for Instructions and Control Descriptions.

PROFILE: Pioneer 8G - ISF C3 - v1-0 - P1

PROFILE: Pioneer 8G - ISF C3 - v1-0 - P2

LL
LL
LL

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CALIBRATION PROCEDURE FLOW

Start ControlCAL
Configure COM Port Settings [MENU/SETTINGS/PORT SETTINGS]

Quote:

Pioneer Displays Default to: 9600 Baud, 8 Data Bits, NO Parity and 1 Stop Bits, NO Flow Control.

Here are instructions from a Member of the Beta Test Group if you need to verify/change you Display's Serial Port Settings:
  1. First make sure your TV is in Stand-By mode. .
  2. Continuously hold down the "Home Menu" key and press the "Power" key within 3 seconds (release "Home Menu" after pressing "Power" key). After the Pioneer power's on you should see a menu with COM settings.
  3. Use your "Left" and "Right" arrows to scroll through and locate 9600-232C or the wanted baud rate .
  4. Once selected press the "Power" key to power off the set.

NOTE: I suggest using the default 9600 baud.

PIONEER ISF C3 PROCEDURE FLOW/INSTRUCTIONS
UPDATED: 03/31/2008

Load Profile Part #1 (or Part #2).

From Display Standby...

_1) Press POWER ON Button.
_2) Press CALIBRATION MODE Button - Received ISF Level Not Supported Dialog? See below.

_3) Select INPUT and Press SET.

_4) Press ISF DAY MODE (or ISF NIGHT MODE) Button.
_5) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
_6) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display).
[OPTIONAL - STEPS #7-#9]
_7) Load Part #2 Profile (or Part #1 if #2 is loaded).
_8) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
_9) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display).

10) Press SAVE.

11) Press ISF NIGHT MODE (or ISF DAY MODE) Button.
12) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
13) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display).
[OPTIONAL - STEPS #14-#16]
14) Load Part #1 Profile (or Part #2 if #1 is loaded).
15) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
16) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display).

17) Press SAVE.

Repeat Steps 3-17 above for any other INPUTS you want to calibrate.

18) Press SET NORMAL MODE Button NOTE: IT CAN TAKE UP TO ONE MINUTE FOR THIS STEP TO COMPLETE!!!!!!!.
19) Press POWER OFF Button.

'RESET CURRENT' BUTTON INFORMATION

This will allow you to Reset the Settings for an INPUT'S Current Mode (DAY or NIGHT) to their Defaults and Reset the Calibration Flag to 0 (like the Mode was never Calibrated).

You can only use this Button once you have Entered Calibration Mode, Selected an Input and Selected DAY MODE or NIGHT MODE.

For example, you want to Reset all the settings for INPUT 1, both DAY and NIGHT MODES.

After Pressing the CALIBRATION MODE Button:

1) SELECT INPUT 1 and Press SET

2) Press the ISF DAY MODE Button, Press the RESET CURRENT Button.
3) Press the ISF NIGHT MODE Button, Press the RESET CURRENT Button.

Press the SET NORMAL MODE Button to exit Calibration. NOTE: IT CAN TAKE UP TO ONE MINUTE FOR THIS STEP TO COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Each Input has two Modes... if you wanted to Reset ALL, you would have to repeats STEPS 1 to 3 (of course selecting a different Input).

RECEIVED THIS ERROR DIALOG?

If you get the "Display's ISF Level is not Compatible with this Profile" Dialog when you Press the CALIBRATION MODE Button, try again. Sometimes it is best to Select ControlCAL's Terminal Window and Press F12 (which sends a CR Only) after you first start ControlCAL, Load your first Profile and BEFORE you press any buttons, this can prep the Display for communications. If you continue to get this Dialog, verify that your Display is an 8th Generation Elite Model (North American) or Step up D (European). Other Regions will be added soon. A future Display Profile may be available for Non-Elites and their equivalents in other Regions.

RECEIVED THIS WARNING DIALOG?

This Warning Dialog does not indicate an Error with ControlCAL but does indicate that 1 of 2 Error Codes (as configured in the Display Profile) has been received from the Display. This could be due to communication errors, invalid values for the current mode etc.

i.e. Trying to send a value from the RGB-HIGHs (DRIVE) or RGB-LOWs (CUTOFF) Controls without first setting COLOR TEMP to 6 (Manual).

LL
LL

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CONTROL VALUE DESCRIPTIONS

PURE CINEMA
0 - Off
1 - Standard
2 - Advance
3 - Smooth

COLOR TEMP (This Control is also available in Part/Page #1 and #2)
0 - *DON'T SEND
1 - Low
2 - Mid-Low
3 - Mid
4 - Mid-High
5 - High
6 - Manual <--- REQUIRED FOR SETTING RGB-HIGH (DRIVE) AND RGB-LOW (CUTOFF) CONTROLS

COLOR SPACE
0 - *DON'T SEND
1 - 1
2 - 2

BLACK LEVEL
0 - Off
1 - On

ACL
0 - Off
1 - On

3DYC
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

I-P MODE
0 - *DON'T SEND
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3

TEXT OPTIMISATION
0 - Off
1 - On

INTELLIGENT MODE
0 - Off
1 - On

DRE PICTURE
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

ENHANCER MODE
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3

BLOCK NR
0 - Off
1 - On

3DNR
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

FIELD NR
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

MOSQUITO NR
0 - Off
1 - On

*NOTE: Some Pioneer Controls will accept 0 (labeled 'DON'T SEND' above) but this value is not valid.

ControlCAL™

Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
first time I have seen the 2nd screen. This looks promising.

It will be nice to have a working / useable interface. Ive been doing 3-5 elite calibrations a week recently.

Gregg

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will it work for non-elite 8G (5080?)? there is an rs232 connector for "factory setup?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

This thread is specifically for discussing ControlCAL's Pioneer 8G Kuro / Elite Display Profile(s), including Beta Versions.

For ControlCAL questions, general information, feature requests, bug reports and Profiles for other Displays, please CLICK HERE

Current Profile Version: v1.0 (Requires ControlCAL v1.41 Beta 2 Build 8).
Pioneer ISF C3 Display Profile Availability: Currently Limited to a few Beta Test Group Members.

IMPORTANT:
BEFORE USING THIS PROFILE, PLEASE READ BOTH POST #2 AND POST #3 for Instructions and Control Descriptions.

PROFILE: Pioneer 8G - ISF C3 - v1-0 - PUBLIC

PROFILE: Pioneer 8G - ISF C3 - v1-0 - P2

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

Will it work for non-elite 8G (5080?)? there is an rs232 connector for "factory setup?"

No, you do not have ISF DAY/NIGHT.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Greetings,

I would like to echo what Gregg said, the current interfaces that are available have not fully delivered. It will be great to see where this goes!

Best,

Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Build 9 Available!

Updated Screen Caps in Post #1.

The

SEND ALL (including Gamma Controls) and REFRESH (for Refresh ALL, including Gamma Controls) Buttons should now be functional for the ISF Profiles.
I added two REFRESH Buttons on the Extras Window close to the Gamma Controls. These two Buttons are functionally similar and allow you to Refresh (Get the current settings from the Display) the Gamma Controls Only (for the Gamma Point currently selected).

Two Buttons (#4 and #7) are now Enabled which allows you to Disable or Enable your Display's OSD.

The Current INPUT is saved when loading the other ISF Profile (no need to Press SET again unless you want to change to another INPUT).

I swapped the RGB Highs/Lows and Color Management Controls. Now, the RGB Highs/Lows are under the Color Temp Control.

I will be adding an option to change the Wait_Time used in the Display Profile in a future version per requests which will allow some of you to experiment with different settings to improve communication performance (if needed). I wanted to have some more User Testing before adding this option.
-Shawn
LL
LL
LL

ControlCAL™

Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two Buttons (#4 and #7) are now Enabled which allows you to Disable or Enable your Display's OSD.

Maybe you could use other button labels, it's a bit confusing with 2 buttons "refresh".....

BTW: do you read data from ISF interface at start, automatically?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutarsky View Post

Maybe you could use other button labels, it's a bit confusing with 2 buttons "refresh".....

Good idea I supposed, but I need suggestions....

Quote:

BTW: do you read data from ISF interface at start, automatically?

No, you need to Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) after you Press the CALIBRATION MODE Button, Selected your INPUT and MODE (ISF DAY or ISF NIGHT). Press the REFRESH Button each time you change MODES to Get the Display's Current Settings for the INPUT Selected and MODE.

There is no command available for Pioneer's ISF C3 Interface that allows you to receive the Settings for all Inputs and Modes at one time. You can receive the Settings for a Mode (INPUT/ISF DAY or INPUT/ISF NIGHT) with one command. I could automate this, but I wanted to give control to the User when to update (as you know, some of the current solutions get confused and forget inputs/modes).

Sorry, I forgot to update the instructions in Post #2. EDIT: Updated Now!

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

- save settings on exit
- save last 4 load profiles
- enable a "load last used profile on startup" option
- export ISF c3 settings: XML and "readable" alÃ* .ini
- enable a "load ISF values from TV @ startup" option
- reset input seems not working
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

- save settings on exit

Which ones? I'm already saving Port Settings and Window Placement.

- save last 4 load profiles
- enable a "load last used profile on startup" option
- export ISF c3 settings: XML and "readable" alÃ* .ini

Already on the list to be added.

- enable a "load ISF values from TV @ startup" option

Input and Mode must be known/selected.

- reset input seems not working

I need verification, I didn't touch this from the last Builds where it was working.

I have not decided if I'm going to allow ControlCAL to load two Profiles at one time (allowing the User to swap between them) or keep the Design as is. If I do change the Design, it would be a few versions out.....

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those two small REFRESH Buttons are placed close to the Point Selection (and Channel Selection for other Manufacturer's Displays) which allows you to quickly Refresh when you change Points (or Channels with some Profiles).

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

- same error when enetering calibration mode, about ISF profile error; second try ok
- OSD on/Off works correctly
- tried refresh... "Error code received from display". then all values unread are RED
- set normal mode: long delay but finally shows ISF mode disabled (no more errors)
- again calibration mode (same error on first try!)
- tried refresh... "Error code received from display". then all values unread are RED
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- same error when enetering calibration mode, about ISF profile error; second try ok
- OSD on/Off works correctly
- set normal mode: long delay but finally shows ISF mode disabled (no more errors)
- again calibration mode (same error on first try!)

I guess I will automatically send a CR to prep the Display for Communications. Are you using the POWER ON Button first? Pressing this Button first should prep the Display. [I just noticed you received the Warning Dialog again when entering Calibration Mode for the 2nd time (4th line)]

Concerning the REFRESH Button, did you Select an INPUT, Pressed the SET Button then Press the ISF DAY MODE or ISF NIGHT MODE Button first? See my updated instructions in Post #2 (which I just updated this morning).

After you do the steps above, also try clicking on the REFRESH Button near the Gamma Controls and let me know what happens.

I may have an issue with my 8G Kuro Simulator running on my 2nd PC.

"Error code received from display" is telling me that the Display is not in a Input's Day or Night Mode.

Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess I will automatically send a CR to prep the Display for Communications. Are you using the POWER ON Button first?

No I've started with setting the input straigh away.

Quote:

Pressing this Button first should prep the Display. [I just noticed you received the Warning Dialog again when entering Calibration Mode for the 2nd time (4th line)]

Yes

Quote:

Concerning the REFRESH Button, did you Select an INPUT, Pressed the SET Button then Press the ISF DAY MODE or ISF NIGHT MODE Button first? See my updated instructions in Post #2 (which I just updated this morning).

Yes

Quote:

After you do the steps above, also try clicking on the REFRESH Button near the Gamma Controls and let me know what happens.

Will try

Quote:

I may have an issue with my 8G Kuro Simulator running on my 2nd PC.

"Error code received from display" is telling me that the Display is not in a Input's Day or Night Mode.

Night mode selected
Old 03-31-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What Input are you using (# and type, HDMI etc)... for Euro Models, you can't select the Input for PC or Home Gallery per Pio Documentation (I think this applies for all the Controls).

I am assuming you are using the P1 Profile.

Perhaps first Set/SEND a few of the Controls, Save and go back to Normal mode, then start the process over..

Also, it would be good for me to know what your OSD is showing when you Press REFRESH.

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found a mis-typed 'GET' CODE for the COLOR TEMP Control in both Profiles, something very simple that I missed. During a REFRESH, the Color Temp's Control will not be updated.

I'll notify the Group's Members when I have new Profiles available... I need to verify a few things before I release them.

ControlCAL™

Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Build 10 has been released and I do have confirmation from one Beta Tester that REFRESH is now working correctly. I also fixed the issue with the COLOR TEMP Control in both Profiles (P1 and P2)... make sure you are using the new Profiles (included with Build 10).

Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 AM

After playing with build 10 last night I am very impressed. Everything seems in working order. There's only a few things that I think would make it much easier to use. When switching to another page and then back, contrast would again read 40, and other settings again read 0. Did my changes take? It's hard to say, and was frustrating, but fun trying to figure it out, I never did though. Also the gamma controls for 60IRE and above did little and I couldn't get my display where I wanted it. I'm almost sure that's not a fault of the program though. It's also just a little cumbersome changing pages. If both pages could be open at the same time and tabbed it would be MUCH easier. Great program though, and I'm honored to be a part of the beta testing!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornavy25 View Post

When switching to another page and then back, contrast would again read 40, and other settings again read 0. Did my changes take?

Those Settings/Values would be the Default ones.

With the current Build, you would need to Press REFRESH again to update the Control's Values (Slider Positions) each time you Load a Profile (i.e. P1 or P2). Usually, Users will Load P2, Press REFRESH, make adjustments and SAVE and be done with P2, focusing on P1 Control adjustments (Load P1, Press REFRESH, make adjustments and SAVE).

Since ControlCAL has 24 Controls and the Pioneer ISF C3 Interface has more than this, I do have plans to allow ControlCAL to Load two (or more Profiles) at one time and allow you to switch between the Profile's Controls easily and quickly. This would also benefit Profiles for other Manufacturer's Displays.

For now, each time you Load a Profile (and after you have already entered CALIBRATION MODE), simply Press the REFRESH Button to update.

I may add an option to Auto Update upon Profile Load, Input Select and/or Mode Select.

I also have requests to add an Auto Send option that would send the Control's Value each time the Control's Slider is moved.

These initial Builds were to confirm proper communication and timings between ControlCAL and Pioneer's Displays.

Thanks again for your help...

-Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM

I wish I had known that last night. Thanks for the info- I am looking forward to giving it another go and reporting back.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 AM

Great idea, that would give us instant feedback on our adjustments. Great work so far Shawn.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Tried beta 10:

- could be handy to test COM ports at start if TV connection not found: depending on wich USB port the TV is connected the COM port changes...

- no more erros when entering calibration mode
- dimmed buttons: to help dummie users avoiding pressing the wrong button, could be handy to disable buttons when unasable; enable them once the "sequence" goes on (power on, set input, calibration mode, day, night, etc)

- error code received from display on rgb highs and lows and y delay - RED values

- Remember to reset to OSD on when exiting calibration mode: if exiting calibration mode with OSD=Off, all on screen values disappear from TV also when using the remote control

- button to switch profiles P1 & P2 - Boring to need file->open the profile... just show a button previous\
ext that automaticcally loads P! or P2.

- Hold P1/P2 values in mem, once refreshed: when switching back and forth from P1/P2, CC loses the data....
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM

blutarsky, the error code you received from display on rgb highs, lows and y delay may be because you must select and send color temp 6 in order for them to become adjustable. Did you try that? It's kind of a pain to remember to do, but it works once you do. Has anyone else tried adjusting the individual gamma points? I cannot get a linear gray scale with it at all. Once I get one point dialed in, it throws other points out.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

The error happens during REFRESH.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unless Color Temp is set to 6 (Manual), those 6 Controls can't be updated/read/refreshed..... in the current Build, if you are not using them, simply ignore them (and the fact the Control Labels are Red).

ControlCAL™

Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well during a refresh if some values are unused IMO it shouldn't be issued an error during refresh...
Old 04-05-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I could add a specific check for this when an Pioneer ISF Profile is being used, but that means I may have to change the ControlCAL EXE for new Generations (instead of simply editing and releasing the Profiles).

Another option I supposed would be to create another Profile with those Controls eliminated/disabled, the User could simply choose which Profile to use.

BTW, that is more of a Warning (during REFRESH), I was going to have an option to disable all Warning Dialogs.

Great input and I'll add it to the list..

Shawn

ControlCAL™

Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM

For me, it's fine the way it is, or maybe if the warnings were disabled, but they still turned red. Can anyone tell me what exactly y-delay is and how to properly adjust it? I've looked everywhere and have found no answers.