post #61 of 80 Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Greetings

Unfortunately, it is source specific and also environment specific as well. The color of the walls and room light can even affect it.

This is why calibration is rarely just done once these days. Many modes and scenarios are done to give the clients more choice ... but it is also about what the TV permits us to do.

Imagine a race car tuned to run on a certain race track using a certain set of tires. Now change out the track ... the tires ... the weather ... and will the race car perform the same?

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonu View Post

GeorgeAB,

I am very new to 'high definition' media and components so please bear with my limited background and understanding.

After reading your post (thank you very much by the way!) I am left with a few questions regarding calibration and achieving image fidelity.

Once my equipment is calibrated, is it optimized across all sources (i.e. Blu Ray, DVD, HD Cable, etc.) or is the calibration source specific?

Is calibration environmet specific? Would I be able to take my calibrated set from a sun lit room to a den/basement and still retain image fidelity?

Thank you very much for your time.

I recommend that you acquire 'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics' by Joe Kane Productions on Blu-ray Disc, if you have a BD player. It has a lot of good information in the tutorials and text graphics for someone new to HDTV, etc. Multiple viewings are usually required to comprehend and retain all that the program has to offer.

Some calibration controls are global for all signal types and source devices, but not all. This issue varies dramatically from one display model to the next. Any complete calibration for a video system will address every possible variable.

The viewing environment conditions are an important variable when adjusting the picture controls on a display. Some settings can remain the same, while others would likely be altered substantially in the example you have given.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #63 of 80 Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Michael TLV and GeorgeAB, thank you very much for your responses.
post #64 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM

I have some general question about what I should be looking for when speaking to a calibrator. Thanks for any help you can provide!
What equipment should be used for home calibration?
Are there some equipment types that raise a red flag of concern?
In other words by the previous two questions what is commercially acceptable and what is not?
I have heard some local calibrators (which I have talked to) say they prefer using a 2 step ire and some saying they prefer using a 10 step ire. Which really is preferable for the best results? Or is the difference small enough that it really does not matter?
More specific to the previous question one particular calibrator I spoke to indicated they did not like the 10 step because there was too much teeter tottering, in other words you get one level correct and the another goes out of whack etc, etc. I wondered is it possible that the real objection was not having enough expertise or just not wanting to invest the time it takes to do a very thorough job.
Other than ISF certification (which really only means to me that someone passed a test) what should I really be looking for in a quality calibrator?
Thanks again for your help!
post #65 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which type of instrumentation and methodology will be adequate depends on the display type and how comprehensive the controls of imaging parameters it provides.
post #66 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Which type of instrumentation and methodology will be adequate depends on the display type and how comprehensive the controls of imaging parameters it provides.

TV will be an LG 55LH90.
post #67 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with that model and I'm not in your neighborhood. Rather than me taking the time to research it, I recommend that you either find someone near you who has experience with it, or contract with a provider who has wide ranging experience and a proven track record, such as the touring calibrators in the Lion AV group.
post #68 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with that model and I'm not in your neighborhood. Rather than me taking the time to research it, I recommend that you either find someone near you who has experience with it, or contract with a provider who has wide ranging experience and a proven track record, such as the touring calibrators in the Lion AV group.

Thanks George. It's one of LG's new models which is LED backlit. No one near me actually has any experience as it has only been out for a few months. I have thought about a touring calibrator but feel more comfortable with someone local. I was hoping for some general information though. For instance regarding 2 step versus 10 step ire calibration, etc.
post #69 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

A THX Video calibrator would be better equipped for that LED type LCD display. By definition, they have to have something beyond just puck type analyzers and also will have signal generators. (Can't be listed without having access to proper gear.)

In past LG units, 10 point did not guarantee a better result than the traditional 2 point. It actually made it worse sometimes. No certain answer until one tries.

There are no perfect TVs. We try to get things to be at a level generally considered as beyond human perception. Once there ... it is time to pretty much stop. Trying for perfection on an imperfect TV with imperfect instruments is an exercise in futility. Your perfect readings mean little. The 10 point might be used to improve the gamma ... but one can't be sure until you try it ... or it might not need to be done anyway.

If you are not sure about the calibrator ... then simply come here and ask around.

regards

post #70 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

A THX Video calibrator would be better equipped for that LED type LCD display. By definition, they have to have something beyond just puck type analyzers and also will have signal generators. (Can't be listed without having access to proper gear.)

In past LG units, 10 point did not guarantee a better result than the traditional 2 point. It actually made it worse sometimes. No certain answer until one tries.

There are no perfect TVs. We try to get things to be at a level generally considered as beyond human perception. Once there ... it is time to pretty much stop. Trying for perfection on an imperfect TV with imperfect instruments is an exercise in futility. Your perfect readings mean little. The 10 point might be used to improve the gamma ... but one can't be sure until you try it ... or it might not need to be done anyway.

If you are not sure about the calibrator ... then simply come here and ask around.

regards

Michael. Thanks so much for your reply. I know he indicated that he used a Sencore Colorpro IV. He did mention that the THX mode settings might be a good place to start (TV has a THX mode). He also mentioned some software but I don't know the version but it ended with 4000. I guess I was a bit uncomfortable at the suggestion that it usually only took him 30-45 minutes to do two sources with both day and night settings. Does that sound right?
post #71 of 80 Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

greetings

I probably would not trust a color pro 4 to do this LED/LCD variant. It is a pod. (Well at least without an optical comparator to make sure it is not way off.)

regards

post #72 of 80 Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:

greetings

I probably would not trust a color pro 4 to do this LED/LCD variant. It is a pod. (Well at least without an optical comparator to make sure it is not way off.)

regards

If not the sencore Colorpro IV then what equipment would you recommend be used?
post #73 of 80 Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Probably even an OTC1000 would be a better choice ... a Chroma 5 probe (with comparator just to make sure) ... an i1 pro ...

Minimum requirements

regards

post #74 of 80 Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Greetings

Probably even an OTC1000 would be a better choice ... a Chroma 5 probe (with comparator just to make sure) ... an i1 pro ...

Minimum requirements

regards

Thanks Michael that helps a lot! I don't know much about calibrating but I do know that without the right tool any job is hard if not impossible.
post #75 of 80 Old 08-30-2009, 05:49 AM

Folks,

I was wondering... Is there but one completely correct RGB calibration for an individual panel, or are there many? In other words (using my Pioneer 5020 plasma as an example), could I get my RGB levels to 100% each with more than one combination of RGB settings, say R 457, G 480, B 505 and R 488, G 496, B 552?

If both COULD have all three levels at 100%, would they both yield the same color temp (I think they would)? Would there be a difference in the picture, theoretically?

I know there are many other factors involved, but I'm just trying to understand the impact of the RGB levels in doing a DIY calibration.

Thanks,

poormxdad
post #76 of 80 Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please move your post to the 'Calibration FAQ' sticky thread': http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585527
post #77 of 80 Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:

Please move your post to the 'Calibration FAQ' sticky thread': http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585527

Done, but that's an old thread and I didn't know one should ask questions in a FAQ. This is the DISPLAY: ROOT FUNDAMENTALS forum, isn't it?

poormxdad
post #78 of 80 Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are many questions asked there.
post #79 of 80 Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM

Hopefully, they'll be answered there, since they're apparently not answered here.

poormxdad
post #80 of 80 Old 08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 286
locked : OP request

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Closed Thread Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page