kal
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

How do I launch the ChromaPure software??? Received the meter but no link or information as to how to open the program.
You would have received complete download & installation instructions with the email you were sent that contained your licence file. If you don't see it, check your junk mail folder.

Kal
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Editor:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 265 Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Got it today, thanks. I will have time tonight to run the software, but I did a quick pre-calibration measurement in Movie mode and the result is quite revealing. The set is off more than I would have thought.
post #243 of 265 Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Got it today, thanks. I will have time tonight to run the software, but I did a quick pre-calibration measurement in Movie mode and the result is quite revealing. The set is off more than I would have thought.

When you initialize your meter in Chromapure, is there an OLED option for your i1d3pro?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #244 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Not yet...had to go with plasma.

Let me ask a beginner question, which pattern can I use for the 10-pt white balance? I only see 20% and 80% WB patterns.
post #245 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Not yet...had to go with plasma.

Let me ask a beginner question, which pattern can I use for the 10-pt white balance? I only see 20% and 80% WB patterns.

Have you verified that OLED has the same spectral distribution as plasma????????

On most displays, you want to do the 2 pt white balance to get you pretty close. With some displays, you can stop there. On others, after performing the 2 pt., you then do the 10 pt. If you got a calibration disk with your color meter, you'll have to look around to find it. Other disk which would have it is the Mascori's disk.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #246 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

No doubt ChromaPure will update their files to include OLED televisions down the road, it's still very early for these sets. In the meantime, I'm going to follow their instructions for direct view televisions and go with the plasma setting.

I have the Disney Wow disc and the Essentials Blu-ray disc, which most likely have the patterns for the 10-pt WB, but I'd rather stick with one disc. I tried the 10% - 100% windows found within the ChromaPure gamma test patterns but I don't know if this is the correct way, the post-calibration report is missing information.

The i1 Display 3 Pro diffuser was moved during calibration
post #247 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

I have the Disney Wow disc and the Essentials Blu-ray disc, which most likely have the patterns for the 10-pt WB, but I'd rather stick with one disc. I tried the 10% - 100% windows found within the ChromaPure gamma test patterns but I don't know if this is the correct way, the post-calibration report is missing information.
What information is missing?

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #248 of 265 Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My mistake. Nothing's missing. Thanks.

Can you help me with Color Gamut? Here is post-calibration...

Then I tried to adjust BLUE one more time and this happened...

post #249 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

If you have the ST60 put in Dnice's settings and see where you end up then, you will be just as suprised I had an average dE of 8.6 using his settings. Nothing against him but panel variations will make a difference in where your 2pt, 10pt and 10pt gamma controls end up at. I am sure that Dnice just takes an average of all the values from the different panels he samples and then goes from there. So many swear by it looking better but for my set it was too red in the shadows and blacks as well as red throughtout the greyscale range so his settings were not all useable on my set.
post #250 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

If you have the ST60 put in Dnice's settings and see where you end up then, you will be just as suprised I had an average dE of 8.6 using his settings. Nothing against him but panel variations will make a difference in where your 2pt, 10pt and 10pt gamma controls end up at. I am sure that Dnice just takes an average of all the values from the different panels he samples and then goes from there. So many swear by it looking better but for my set it was too red in the shadows and blacks as well as red throughtout the greyscale range so his settings were not all useable on my set.

here's a recent article on the subject:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2014/01/calibration-break-in-discs-time-to-be-nice/

post #251 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I must admit I fell into this idea of copying settings at first. It is easy to do and cost-free, and who wouldn't want a better picture, right? Only problem is, when you start to think about it, it doesn't make sense. If calibrating one set with test equipment proved effective and those numbers/values were copied and worked on other sets, why wouldn't all sets come this way straight from the factory to start with?
post #252 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must admit I fell into this idea of copying settings at first. It is easy to do and cost-free, and who wouldn't want a better picture, right? Only problem is, when you start to think about it, it doesn't make sense. If calibrating one set with test equipment proved effective and those numbers/values were copied and worked on other sets, why wouldn't all sets come this way straight from the factory to start with?

Exactly correct. If copying one person's settings into another set made any sense, the manufacturer wouldn't allow for adjustments. They'd simply set the devices correctly to begin with.

As it stands there are variances between the units (even the same make/model), bulbs age, and source devices are rarely the same.

Kal
gus738 likes this.

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #253 of 265 Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My mistake. Nothing's missing. Thanks.

Can you help me with Color Gamut? Here is post-calibration...

Then I tried to adjust BLUE one more time and this happened...

Discovered my error, the white dot (luminance) is no longer in the center of the chart. I must have accidentally selected white instead of the blue test pattern.

This software is really fantastic! It's so comforting to know I'm getting the best from my 9k set by doing my own calibrations.
post #254 of 265 Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What does NaN on post Gamut report mean? Everything looked great when I did the calibration. Did it reset back to zero? And why doesn't the grayscale read down to 10 IRE?

post #255 of 265 Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, this is better.

post #256 of 265 Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

NaN = "Not a Number" or "undefined". You probably get this if you run a report before you've taken measurements.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #257 of 265 Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for explaining, and thanks for this awesome guide! I'm very pleased with the results. Excellent work. smile.gif

post #258 of 265 Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

I'm glad you like the results! Now go enjoy your newly calibrated display by watching some movies! (Gravity shown in your second pic is a great choice - phenomenal image quality).

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #259 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Liked: 0
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if the Gray scale Calibration guide for dummies has a section on how to manipulate a pixels RGB values based on it's gray scale value for calibration purposes. If so, I am interested in purchasing the guide. My dad has some ideas about image processing based on gray-scale values. I've been searching the web and found nothing so far. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

Dan
post #260 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahdoot View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if the Gray scale Calibration guide for dummies has a section on how to manipulate a pixels RGB values based on it's gray scale value for calibration purposes. If so, I am interested in purchasing the guide. My dad has some ideas about image processing based on gray-scale values. I've been searching the web and found nothing so far. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

Dan
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "manipulate a pixels RGB values based on it's gray scale value for calibration purposes" but the guide is free so you can read it yourself. You don't purchase it. See the first post in this thread.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #261 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Liked: 0
Basically, my dad has this idea that if you look at the RGBA values in a pixel, and take the A value (alpha) which is supposed to represent the grayscale of the pixel (I'm not sure if it does), and use that value to adjust the RGB values, this will "calibrate" the pixel.

For example, if you have R = 100, G = 150, B = 200, and A = 25, you would look at A (which is 25) and look up in a table a factor to multiply the original RGB values, (lets say the A(25) value in table corresponds to .10) and the resulting RGB values would be 10,15, and 20, respectively.

Whether any of this has to do with grayscale calibration, or any other calibration, i dont know. If you have any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Dan
post #262 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Basically, my dad has this idea that if you look at the RGBA values in a pixel, and take the A value (alpha) which is supposed to represent the grayscale of the pixel (I'm not sure if it does), and use that value to adjust the RGB values, this will "calibrate" the pixel.

For example, if you have R = 100, G = 150, B = 200, and A = 25, you would look at A (which is 25) and look up in a table a factor to multiply the original RGB values, (lets say the A(25) value in table corresponds to .10) and the resulting RGB values would be 10,15, and 20, respectively.

Whether any of this has to do with grayscale calibration, or any other calibration, i dont know. If you have any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Dan
The logic behind this seems weird, but it sounds like what your Dad might be trying to do is perform software profiling of his display. This can already be done with very good results using solutions like dispcalGUI + ArgyllCMS on computers/HTPCs. I don't see how you would propose to perform any tweaks on a TV that isn't hooked up to the computer unless you introduce some additional box within the source->TV chain.
post #263 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Whether any of this has to do with grayscale calibration, or any other calibration, i dont know.
I don't think it does. Greyscale calibration is about correcting for the fact that displays do not display what you ask them. For example, you may ask to display a pure white image but the physical nature of the display (the pixels) is such that it's never perfect. It may be slightly off white. You're sending it the right RGB values, but what you measure if off. Calibration is about fixing that and it's always done for the entire screen, not on a per pixel basis as the errors are not on a per pixel basis to begin with.

I looked up this alpha thing as I'd never heard of it and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGBA_color_space

A seems to be the transparency of the pixel if I'm reading that correctly. Nothing to do with calibration. Why you'd want to alter the RGB values based on transparency I don't understand.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #264 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought the alpha channel was for on screen menus and such on touchscreens and monitors...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #265 of 265 Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

If he has 10-point white balance, he may be talking about changing the gamma using the rgb values at each stimulus. The guide does not have this information. Tom in the CP thread explained it just yesterday.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page