ISF Professionals who can calibrate the Pioneer 9G Non-Elites (PDP-5020FD/PDP-6020FD) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 223 Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

turbe,

Do you think D-Nice can get my 500M to look as good as my 34XBR960 ? My 960 was calibrated by Chad. In Pure mode the 500M has a hazy look which I can't get rid off. In Standard mode it's brighter and comes close to the 960 but the colors are flat and less bright/dynamic; especially the red.

It's nice to see a CRT being used as the basis of comparison to the new tech out there. I love calibrating the 960, it has so much that can be done to it! Not as much as a CRT RPTVs or CRT ceiling projectors, but the best I've seen in a CRT direct view, regardless of brand. Those convergence registers for center and edge precision are incredible! And the colors it delivers once the grayscale has been aligned and the color decoders have gotten rid of the red push, are silky smooth, real, delicate and lifelike. The definition of suspension of disbelief.

With the deepest blacks out there to date, the depth CRT delivers won't be surpassed for the regular consumer until OLED and its various variations finally come to market at reasonable prices. You can see that world famous CRT deep-black depth in my avatar picture here, that eye is an actual photo of HD on my 73" CRT in action. Bigger version is on my website if you want to climb between the lines on it, does much more justice than the avatar pic.

Quite a legacy to live up to. Still the standard for many owners.

wink.gif

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 223 Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, i calibrate and then compare with grade 1 broadcast crt monitor. I have a plasma, to get near to crt i have to suffer some black crush, however, the end result is very crt like.
post #213 of 223 Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
When you mean suffer some black crush do you mean that on a black clipping pattern 1 % above black is not visible? please explain smile.gif
post #214 of 223 Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I think he means that his CRT monitor does a better job of displaying shadow detail than his plasma. But I'll let him take this one -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #215 of 223 Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Yes, shadow detail is better on crt. However, due to the black level not being as deep on my plasma, if i adjust the pluge correctly for plasma i am increasing the levels of 10 ire this causes the image to give a washed out apperance lacking depth even though the gamma response looks the same as crt. So, instead i ensure 10ire measures the same as the crt. The resulting image far better with a bit of black crush ( shadow detail)
Hope i have managed to explain more clearly? If not, please let me know.
post #216 of 223 Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to get a gamma bump device in there, like the Moome. The HD Fury people also make one called the Gamma X. Either one will deliver heightened shadow detail while NOT compromising the blacks, like the Brightness/Black Level controls do. Without such a device, you have one or the other - inky blacks or great shadow detail - but can't have both. With a gamma bump device you get both.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #217 of 223 Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks. Sounds interesting.
post #218 of 223 Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oh and would any calibrators be able to do the Kuro 9G 5020 NE -> "e-lite" board swap if I already had a board on hand or is that type of modification generally not done (warranty, liability issues)? My set is long out of warranty so...yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

I am in CA, have Turbe's newest ControlCal programs for your set. Are you anywhere near the SF Bay Area?

Unfortunately not. I should have specified West Los Angeles as my location.
post #219 of 223 Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
hi Henhowc

Give Chuck Williams an email at cmwtek@aol.com . He is out of Palm Springs. He is a repair tech and can also perform a calibration.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #220 of 223 Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That's not the case for him, who's not on the list henhowc asked about and this thread is about.. I have pm'd henhowc the calibrators who are

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post

Oh and would any calibrators be able to do the Kuro 9G 5020 NE -> "e-lite" board swap if I already had a board on hand or is that type of modification generally not done (warranty, liability issues)? My set is long out of warranty so...yeah.

Yes, there are a few that have been involved with that in the past.. I pm'ed you some info wink.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #221 of 223 Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post

Unfortunately not. I should have specified West Los Angeles as my location.
I can help you with this and do a lot more to your 5020FD.

post #222 of 223 Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I do board swaps all the time, as like Chuck I am both calibrator and repair tech. There are very few of us in the country who do both, and even fewer on just the West Coast, so luckily you're not far from either of us. Guess D-Nice does board swaps too, huh! Didn't know that!

smile.gif

You are looking for a calibration as well, right? Or just the board swap? Is this board swap a needed thing because your set is down, or an optional thing that you are deciding to do for reasons other than that? If it's not an upgrade I would not advise rocking the boat just to be putting a newer, fresher board in. The boards themselves do not wear out over the years on today's sets, AFAIK.

Either way SF is not far from LA, it's a well traveled corridor and very inexpensive to fly. I fly out of OAK or SFO, depending on which airport flies where I need to go. At this time I don't charge for time in the air or waiting at airports around here, so your expenses would be nominal. And again I am fully equipped with Turbe's programs. They are very comprehensively designed and are pinpoint effective, my compliments to the chef!

wink.gif

I am avaliable late in the first week of June if you want me there.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #223 of 223 Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to be in Portland OR. I arrive on Sept. 18 and come back on the 24th. Would be happy to do some calibration and/or repair work on your display while I am there. If you are in Salem, Vancouver, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie etc, contact me and let's get together while I am there.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page