Best Buy calibration good or bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Samsung LN46A650 and have done some searching on this forum and others about calibration for this tv and my question is this. I went ahead and purchased the calibration option through best buy when I purchased the tv. It ended up being $100 due to purchasing the tv and because we were unsure of buying it so they lowered the price. They are supposed to come out sometime next month. Is this a good choice or should I not allow best buy to do the calibration? Do they know what they are doing? I've only touched the surface on calibration so I wanted to see what someone else's opinion of the matter is? Thanks.

SNSGUY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They wont hurt your display, they just most likely wont get the best out of it.
If you said no they most likely will ask for the original cost be paid on the display pre-discount.
post #3 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You may want to check out some of the other Best Buy calibration threads, like this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995295

The answers will range from "Best Buy calibration will save the Earth from global warning" to "Best Buy calibration is no better than a trained monkey poking the TV with a banana".
post #4 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I'm not gonna risk it since I've got my sets looking pretty good on my own with Avia II and DVE but...I have a friend that owns a sports bar with a total of 5 plasmas and he recently had BB come out and calibrate all of them. To my eyes I do notice some improvement (one of the panels was waaay off before) and they seemed to do an overall good job. I told him to ask about ISF certification but he forgot...so I don't know what kind of training they have.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #5 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
for the millionth time, some of them are good, some are very young and still learning. They are all ISF certified, and use good equipment. They learn the basics at training, and beyond that is up to the individual and how hungry he is to learn. Like the NFL, some of them have been around since day one (for BB at least) and some are rookies (since the program has exploded in the last 6 months). Not all techs are at the same skill level, (which holds true for almost any profession) but your TV has good potential. Go for it, but see if you can talk to someone at your store and see who is the most experienced and request them. You may have to change your appt date depending on his availability. What city do you live in?
post #6 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

The ones I've heard of have ISF certification so even if they're not the best of the best I don't see how they're horrible unless ISF certification doesn't mean anything anymore.
post #7 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil View Post

for the millionth time, some of them are good, some are very young and still learning. They are all ISF certified, and use good equipment. They learn the basics at training, and beyond that is up to the individual and how hungry he is to learn. Like the NFL, some of them have been around since day one (for BB at least) and some are rookies (since the program has exploded in the last 6 months). Not all techs are at the same skill level, (which holds true for almost any profession) but your TV has good potential. Go for it, but see if you can talk to someone at your store and see who is the most experienced and request them. You may have to change your appt date depending on his availability. What city do you live in?

I live in Nashville, TN. I think I wil;l give them a call or drop in and ask for the best one they have. The Guy told me there were two of them for my area. It's set for Oct. They are supposed to give me a call at the end of this month. It seems like for $100 it's a good deal from what I am hearing. Thanks for responding everyone.

SNSGUY
post #8 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Best Buy conducts "in-house" training, for the most part, conducted by people that we originally trained.
As mentioned, they can not do harm to a set, as would have been the potential in the "old days". Are they as skilled as someone who has been devoted to the practice for the last 12 years? That is for you to evaluate.

Please let it be said once more that while someone attends the ISF seminar (20 hours of instruction over a two day period) and successfully passes the 100 question exam, all the ISF is "certifying", in a defacto sense, is that the candidate has been in attendence and passed the exam. We do not lend any credulity to their skillset nor acumen. Realistically, how could we?
A great barometer to gauge the abilities of anyone in question is their résumé and their ability to produce referral information. Many seen contributing on this forum have built solid reputations for integrity, attention to detail, honesty, and dedication to the science.
The program at Best Buy was designed to create a wider awareness of the benefits of calibration, and make it more accessible to the public. However unlike a "raw" product such as a DVD player, for example, where there is a certain expectation of "repeatability", the same assurance cannot be made when the factors of human interpretation and educational adaptability are introduced. Consider it like officiating in sports. Those officials that rise to the pinnacle, let's say the NHL, would be expected to have and are held to higher standard, than the volunteer at the pond hockey game.

Please understand that Best Buy is doing a fine job of executing this program. It has proven successful, and the number of video displays that are left unequivocally with better image quality are more than ever anticipated when the ISF was founded 14 years ago. Can the fallability of humans render an occasional less than desired result? Of course, as in any profession. Naturally our affinity sours when we are on the unfortunate side of such an incident, however, Best Buy and all independent, reputable calibrators assure the client of their satisfaction.

The Real Picture
Scottsdale, Arizona
mhamilton@therealpicture.tv
ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Associate
TweakTV.com Contributing Editor / Reviewer
post #9 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
I would not let anyone who works at Best Buy mow my lawn...I certainly would not let them amywhere near my equipment.

One of the Magnolia fools explained to me that front projectors cannot do 1080P because the light spreads out as soon as it leaves the lens..by the time it hits the screen it is no better than standard resolution.

Now...you think I am going to let anyone, who works for a company that hires idiots like this guy, in my house? Are you serious?

OH...the local BB has a "calibration display" The "after" calibrated unit is so poorly tweaked that it is virtually unwatchable. It must have been calibrated by blind monkeys.

Best Buy offers calibration for the reason it offers extended coverage....to pad their bottom line. According to Bus Week 80-90% of the profit made by BB is from coverage contracts!!!! This is why the teenybopper/stripper/thug wannabees push them on you. They are told "attachments" you gotta push "attachments".

You want a thug wannabee, future strip club worker in your home???

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #10 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

I live in Nashville, TN. I think I wil;l give them a call or drop in and ask for the best one they have. The Guy told me there were two of them for my area. It's set for Oct. They are supposed to give me a call at the end of this month. It seems like for $100 it's a good deal from what I am hearing. Thanks for responding everyone.

SNSGUY

Supposedly they do not do the ISF certification for $100 - its $300 iirc. I *believe* that have something that is just a general setup for $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I would not let anyone who works at Best Buy mow my lawn...I certainly would not let them amywhere near my equipment.

One of the Magnolia fools explained to me that front projectors cannot do 1080P because the light spreads out as soon as it leaves the lens..by the time it hits the screen it is no better than standard resolution.

Now...you think I am going to let anyone, who works for a company that hires idiots like this guy, in my house? Are you serious?

OH...the local BB has a "calibration display" The "after" calibrated unit is so poorly tweaked that it is virtually unwatchable. It must have been calibrated by blind monkeys.

Best Buy offers calibration for the reason it offers extended coverage....to pad their bottom line. According to Bus Week 80-90% of the profit made by BB is from coverage contracts!!!! This is why the teenybopper/stripper/thug wannabees push them on you. They are told "attachments" you gotta push "attachments".

And consider the stories and telemarketing that D* and E* do - have you ever talked to their CSRs, or perhaps those at your local cable company. Have you heard the stories they tell customers?

I suppose you will never sub to cable or DBS because of anyone that would hire a fool like that........
post #11 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Supposedly they do not do the ISF certification for $100 - its $300 iirc. I *believe* that have something that is just a general setup for $100.

And consider the stories and telemarketing that D* and E* do - have you ever talked to their CSRs, or perhaps those at your local cable company. Have you heard the stories they tell customers?

I suppose you will never sub to cable or DBS because of anyone that would hire a fool like that........

It is the full Calibration. It was normally $300 but because I bought the tv they would give it to me for $150 but I wasn't sure I wanted it so they dropped to $100. They also gave me the paper work that states all the thingd that I have read on this forum for a full calibration.
post #12 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 AM

How did they bill for the Calibration. Was it billed at $100.
BB is supposed to charge the standard rate. I don't know how they're getting away with offering it for $100.
Good deal for you though for a full calibration. Make sure you get a tech that is certified vs one that was trained by an ISF tech.

Stephen Cooper
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Digital Video Calibrations LLC
http://www.digitalvideocalibrations.com
post #13 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Good thing BB doesnt mow lawns, and BTW "thug wannabe"?? Where is this coming from? And the Magnolia guy that said that about 1080p projectors was an idiot. That is not the same guy coming out to calibrate anything, and is certainly not representation of the whole entire company. As far as the poorly tweaked TV in the store, every demo Ive personally done has to be redone every single time i visit a store because a customer or employee screws with it.

The calibration is $300, but there is a $200 discount on any install service if you spend $xxx.xx (I cant remember the exact amount). It is a promo called "HD advantage".

snsguy, I dont personally know the Nashville guys, but try to go with the more experienced of the two, if possible.
post #14 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

haha good point. I love showing up to a customers home and seeing the HD cable box connected to the TV via coax. Happens at least 2-3 times/week
post #15 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper750 View Post

BB is supposed to charge the standard rate. I don't know how they're getting away with offering it for $100.

I think BB is subsidizing calibrations for the time being, to build that "techie friend" image among its customer base, thus differentiating themselves from web retailers that they can't compete on price with.

BTW, I worked at BB for a summer. I don't know how I resisted the lure of the gangsta lifestyle, or whether I just don't look good enough in a g-string to work the pole, but I ended up a successful EE working in telecomm. Go figure.
post #16 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil View Post

Good thing BB doesnt mow lawns, and BTW "thug wannabe"?? Where is this coming from? And the Magnolia guy that said that about 1080p projectors was an idiot. That is not the same guy coming out to calibrate anything, and is certainly not representation of the whole entire company. As far as the poorly tweaked TV in the store, every demo Ive personally done has to be redone every single time i visit a store because a customer or employee screws with it.

The calibration is $300, but there is a $200 discount on any install service if you spend $xxx.xx (I cant remember the exact amount). It is a promo called "HD advantage".

snsguy, I dont personally know the Nashville guys, but try to go with the more experienced of the two, if possible.

I think I'm going to call and ask them a few questions about the guy who is doing the calibration and see if one is more qualified then the other. It's amazing who people in a forum can either be really helpful and give you useless information that's more about ranting then helping. Thank you to those who are helping, I really appreciate it.
post #17 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Support your local brick and mortar retailer, they will tell you everything you need to know about calibration.

If it was connected properly we wouldn't be having this conversation.
post #18 of 60 Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM

wow i dont know why anyone has mention and ppl keep talking about just using the dve dvds but a true calibration is done through the service menu. which most of us can't access without a combination of codes and if you even some how access it and screw with it you really mess up the tv. yes the dvd does make the picture better but the calibration make it even better. the other thing no mention is the 45% or more energy savings said from isf....maybe its not a big deal but reducing the energy of the tv will extending the life of it; so that is a big deal for me if i spend that kind of money on a tv. its really up to you but shopping around i know that they are the cheapest place to buy a calibration and the device is said to cost 7500-10000....i really don't think if calibrations are all gimmicks then isf wouldnt have said anything about it. also if you look at hometheater mags you notice everytime they review a tv there is a color chart 1 noncalibrate and 1 calibrate so ask yourself why would these guys do it?
post #19 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was in the ISF seminar that was held here in Las Vegas in January of 2007, and I believe that was the first or one of the first seminars to include BB employee's. They didn't impress me as being ahead of the class or behind it, they all seemed interested in the science, and enthusiastic about the calibration process.

That being said, I went into a BB in SoCal that had a Magnolia department, and I couldn't find anyone that could point me to a calibration disc, (for a friend). And the local BB is full of gamers and texters.

It makes sense that unless they run every "calibrator" through the ISF program, that quality is going to suffer. And you also have to ask yourself the old "get what you pay for question". With gas at over $4 per gallon, and the proper test gear costing several thousand dollars, how long is it going to take them to make a profit at $100 per?

FWIW, I would either get the settings from one of these threads here, or pull the trigger and get it done right. Either is better than the factory pre-sets, but for me, a BB calibration is most likely a oxymoron.

Sony 60a3000, Denon 3802, Oppo 83, Toshiba HD-XA2, Tannoy Saturn 8's, Tannoy PS-350 sub, and some legacy stuff. Samsung PN51D530 Plasma & PS3 in the other room.
post #20 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuasion View Post

wow i dont know why anyone has mention and ppl keep talking about just using the dve dvds but a true calibration is done through the service menu. which most of us can't access without a combination of codes and if you even some how access it and screw with it you really mess up the tv. yes the dvd does make the picture better but the calibration make it even better. the other thing no mention is the 45% or more energy savings said from isf....maybe its not a big deal but reducing the energy of the tv will extending the life of it; so that is a big deal for me if i spend that kind of money on a tv. its really up to you but shopping around i know that they are the cheapest place to buy a calibration and the device is said to cost 7500-10000....i really don't think if calibrations are all gimmicks then isf wouldnt have said anything about it. also if you look at hometheater mags you notice everytime they review a tv there is a color chart 1 noncalibrate and 1 calibrate so ask yourself why would these guys do it?

The reason people here mention calibration DVDs is because many folks who find their way to this area are looking for ways to improve their displays without spending too much money. A lot of them are new to HT and know it can be better but don't want to sink additional money into calibration services that they may not understand. For them, calibration DVDs are a good first step. Even with a professionally-calibrated display, these discs are handy to do spot checks on things like grayscale, color decoding, brightness, etc. These things tend to drift over time and the discs can help you know when it's time for corrections. Note that no one here is saying that a cal DVD is "as good as" a real calibration.

Many times, people who've used calibration discs and see a difference are started along the path to a fully calibrated display, whether done by a professional, or they get the fire to do it themselves. They start wondering how much better it could be, and away they go!

Hmm, your points and writing style sure look like something I've seen in another thread. You don't happen to work at Best Buy, do ya?

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #21 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have another problem. First off I need to say I really love the LN46A650. It has an awesome picture and great colors and contrast. The major problem I am running into is that settings I try seems to be either to dark or to bright or both. I can't seem to find a happy medium. Any suggestions?

SNSGUY
post #22 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

I have another problem. First off I need to say I really love the LN46A650. It has an awesome picture and great colors and contrast. The major problem I am running into is that settings I try seems to be either to dark or to bright or both. I can't seem to find a happy medium. Any suggestions?

SNSGUY

Your gamma is probably quite off and non-linear.
post #23 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings ...

Use a test disc then. DVE ... AVIA ... Monster ISF ... Get Gray ... all help out.

You will never get reference from cable or satellite. nothing to do there. Out of your hands.

Calibrate to DVD and use those settings on the cable and cross your fingers. That's it unless you have a signal generator ... and then you still cross your fingers.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #24 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuasion View Post

$10,000 equipment required for calibration, 45% power savings... What the hell have you been smokin?
post #25 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Smoking the stuff that makes you sign up under a new name every 2 days.

regards

post #26 of 60 Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post

I'm new at this I know about the gamma setting just not sure what it does and what do you mean by non-linear?

SNSGUY
post #27 of 60 Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post

Gamma is inherently non-linear. Certainly his gamma may be off, but when it is correct it will not be linear. Gamma is often displayed in a relative manner so that when it tracks the proper curve the result is a straight line, but the response is not itself linear, other than in the lower region of the 709 standard.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #28 of 60 Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Ok, i know that calibrated LCD monitors for computers for example needs to be recalibrated every month or so.

If you pay someone to calibrate your tv via service menu, wouldnt the calibration need to be recalibrated in a year's time?
post #29 of 60 Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Gamma is inherently non-linear. Certainly his gamma may be off, but when it is correct it will not be linear. Gamma is often displayed in a relative manner so that when it tracks the proper curve the result is a straight line, but the response is not itself linear, other than in the lower region of the 709 standard.

You're correct, i meant that if the gamma were to be mapped, it more than likely is not linear (or more so the graph would not be), i didn't mean that the response would be linear.
post #30 of 60 Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Like cars go out of tuning ... calibrated TVs will also drift as they age. Wear and tear. People change out equipment ... and that can also affect the calibration. Most calibrators offer discounted touch up services. Worth asking about.

regards

Reply Display Calibration