YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with new PS3 "Chroma upsampling"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

In the TV models that have the option of select YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 HDMI video input, which is recommended to select with the new chroma upsampling of the PS3?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...ma-Upsampling/

Quote:

During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as “chroma upsampling” is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.

Usually, video content that is provided as digital broadcasting or video media compresses colour information to keep the data size small. Using a chroma upsampling technique, the PS3 system then processes the compressed colour information and applies it to the video content so that the content appears more vivid and sharp on the screen.

Quote:

For Blu-ray Discs, this feature is only available when playing discs that are recorded in BDAV format. BDAV is a Blu-ray Disc video format. Generally, when video content is recorded on BD-R or BD-RE media using a Blu-ray Disc recorder, the content is recorded in BDAV format. You cannot use this feature on video content recorded in BDMV format, including most commercially available BD video software (BD-ROM) now on the market

Basically this feature will not work with comercially recorded BDs. It will only work with DVDs (unless you burn your own BDs).
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...ma-Upsampling/

Basically this feature will not work with comercially recorded BDs. It will only work with DVDs (unless you burn your own BDs).

I think this should be implemented on pre - recorded BLU RAY...I never actually realised that DVD players and BLU RAY players? upsampled the chroma from the disc's native compression of 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 as standard..So whats the difference with this one..does it benefit image quality greatly anyone know??? For example viewing on both 8 and 10 bit panels...
post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Liked: 17
From what I've seen, it's more like the PS3 applies a smart interpolation filter to chroma before upsampling it, so far I haven't seen any adverse effects.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo Gálvez View Post

From what I've seen, it's more like the PS3 applies a smart interpolation filter to chroma before upsampling it, so far I haven't seen any adverse effects.

OK, so does the PS3 upsample BLU RAY video (BDMV)to 4:2:2 anyway?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDAVIS83 View Post

OK, so does the PS3 upsample BLU RAY video (BDMV)to 4:2:2 anyway?

Yes, it has to. On the other hand, it all will end up 4:4:4 eventually no matter what when it gets back to RGB. If you force it to output RGB, then it's outputting 4:4:4. Or the TV will go back to 4:4:4 when it moves back to RGB. So this doesn't inherently get you anything new, it just moves the location of where this is happening, and may or may not change the quality of how it's handling the chroma samples, which realistically is not a big deal at all.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Yes, it has to. On the other hand, it all will end up 4:4:4 eventually no matter what when it gets back to RGB. If you force it to output RGB, then it's outputting 4:4:4. Or the TV will go back to 4:4:4 when it moves back to RGB. So this doesn't inherently get you anything new, it just moves the location of where this is happening, and may or may not change the quality of how it's handling the chroma samples, which realistically is not a big deal at all.

Actually it improves it a lot for stuff like those big red WARNING letters at the start and other places with large blocks of solid color where it usually gets all pixelated.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Actually it improves it a lot for stuff like those big red WARNING letters at the start and other places with large blocks of solid color where it usually gets all pixelated.

That means that your TV wasn't doing it right.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Well then, I guess i've been watching those big WARNING letters in faulty tv sets for years, interestingly enough the chroma option of the PS3 fixes my TV, and unfixes it if I turn it off.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Well then, I guess i've been watching those big WARNING letters in faulty tv sets for years, interestingly enough the chroma option of the PS3 fixes my TV, and unfixes it if I turn it off.

I noticed these parts of a disc do look exceptionally bright and clear...
post #11 of 11 Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Wow..i never understood this...I always assumed that DVD players outputted 4:2:0 video...but there is no setting option that allows you to get standerd 4:2:2 upsampling in PS3 is there?? I saw there was a setting for video type output (HDMI) and i normally select AUTOMATIC as opposed to just the other singlular options such as RGB or YCbCr .
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page