Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 01-09-2009, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

There was a lot of discussion/speculation last year about whether or not the D2 was sensitive to IR or not and many tests were done comparing the D2 to the I1Pro in both HCFR and Calman.

It was around then that the HCFR team introduced the Plasma setting. Like I said, I'm not sure exactly how it differs from the LCD setting.

The main point is that several people have done comparisons between the two and the differences are minor.

Calman is an excellent product at a good price. If you can afford the $$$, go for it. If you don't want to spend extra $$$ then HCFR is as good as you are going to get for free.

And while just as accurate, even on Plasma, from what I can find out there, just not quite as feature rich or Modular. But if that is not important and you just want the readings using a D2, then ColorHCFR will get it done. At least this is what I am comming to understand.

If someone has some data that proves I should not rely on ColorHCFR with a D2 on a Plasma other than just saying that the other product has a class 5, 2.1 gigawatt flux capacitor that can interface with the chromium di-nebulizer because they have the top secret access code, I can get by with ColorHCFR.

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post

If someone has some data that proves I should not rely on ColorHCFR with a D2 on a Plasma other than just saying that the other product has a class 5, 2.1 gigawatt flux capacitor that can interface with the chromium di-nebulizer because they have the top secret access code, I can get by with ColorHCFR.

LOL... classic!
post #63 of 65 Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post

If someone has some data that proves I should not rely on ColorHCFR with a D2 on a Plasma...C.

Perhaps with this specific combination of components there is no difference between HCFR & CalMan, but doesn't CalMan provide much more accurate low light readings with an i1 Pro than HCFR would (with an i1 Pro)?

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #64 of 65 Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

doesn't CalMan provide much more accurate low light readings with an i1 Pro than HCFR would (with an i1 Pro)?

Yes

Also, Wolfy did a lot of testing between the two (on Pioneer Plasmas), check this

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #65 of 65 Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Yes

Also, Wolfy did a lot of testing between the two (on Pioneer Plasmas), check this

I love that thread. Going to have to read through it again.

I thought that it was discovered that CalMAN was not set to the same overall calculations as HCFR and that was later discussed and he acknowledged...

I will re-read it and report back.

So Post 12 is strictly using Calman to test i1 D2 verus i1 Pro for Greyscale readings on 2 separate days. Basically to show minor changes in readings from one day to the next being larger for a D2 than an i1 Pro. Which is expected given the $$$ delta between the two.

He ended that post with "Clearly a noticeable difference and hence we don't have to wonder where the "error" when comparing results from one day to the next comes from. It's from the Display 2/LT.

Having said that, the difference in reported x, y from Display 2/LT isn't what I would call horrible, it's only in the order of 0.003 at the most, i.e. within specs."

Nothing really to do with CalMAN better for i1 Pro than ColorHCFR. I will continue to look through that some more. At least not in that part of the thread.

Although I do remember near the end at like Page 4 and 5, he was using a different setting in ColorHCFR than the default. Taking away Black Compensation checkmark for calculating greyscale or whatever that setting is. More reading when I get a chance.

But if you can point out where in there it shows more accurate handling of the i1 Pro in CalMAN over ColorHCFR, that would save me some time. I've been called away.

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page