Shadow on screen - can calibration fix this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About two years ago, I purchased a 32" LCD TV (model number 32LC2DU from LG) to use as a monitor. All has been well for those two years, but yesterday, a thin shadow appeared over the right portion of the screen. I use the word "shadow" because I believe the content underneath can still be seen, so it isn't as if the pixels themselves are dead (they may very well be, and the color I see could be bleed over from neighboring pixels). It is the same story no matter which input I try, and I've verified that all input devices are fine on other monitors. The shadow is constant, and it is a three or four pixel wide vertical line running down the TV.

Normally I'd just take the TV back to the store where I purchased it, and exchange it, but unfortunately I purchased this particular model from Circuit City (and Circuit City closed every store in the area). I'd like to verify that my TV can't be fixed via calibration, or that it isn't a cheap fix I could have done in my area, before I mess with the hassle of trying to get Circuit City to honor my three year extended warranty even though they don't have any stores in the area.

I've included a picture of the problem (more can be provided if necessary. I've greatly re-sized the picture down from 8mp, but the shadow is easily seen ) and I hope that someone can be of assistance. Thank you.

Small edit: I realize that calibration can't fix a hardware problem. Basically I'm asking if calibration could make the problem more tolerable, or if I really should just attempt to get a replacement out of circuit city. If anyone has had experience with a similar problem, I'd love to know exactly what I'm dealing with (it would help when dealing with their warranty department. Considering their company is in the toilet, I doubt they are willing to green light every last replacement TV). It would be great if the problem weren't hardware related, but I'm having a hard time believing that it isn't at this point. It's a shame, because it has been a great monitor for years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

Unfortunately, Calibrators are not repairmen. Short of being there, it is hard to tell what can or cannot be done.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Unfortunately, Calibrators are not repairmen. Short of being there, it is hard to tell what can or cannot be done.

Regards

If you are an experienced calibrator, and you've never run into this type of problem, then I assume it's safe to say that no amount of calibration is going to improve the situation.

I think it says something about LCD panels when a black vertical line can appear out of nowhere after two years of regular use. I guess I'll buy a new monitor from Bestbuy, and hope that they still exist in a couple of years for if it fails.

Now I just have to think of what I'm going to tell the customer service representative at Circuit City. Hopefully "a thin vertical shadow" will mean something to them.

Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
greetings

The big thing here is that if it wasn't there before and it suddenly shows up ... then it is pretty much a hardware issue. Short of it showing up because you were mucking in the service menu or something.

Unfortunately ... it's repair time. Which means that it will likely cost more to fix it than replace it.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page