thx optimizer on any Blu-ray movies ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do any Blu-ray movies have the THX Optimizer? If so, will the settings come out different than if you used the THX Optimizer on a standard DVD?
Jim McC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nobody ???
Jim McC is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I do not recommend using the THX patterns. Only as a stop-gap.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Wall-E has the THX stuff.

It really shouldn't be different than a DVD. The DVD in an upscaling player the player should be switching the color space from 601 to 709 for you, the resolution will be 1080p.

The only thing I can think of that would cause signifigant differences is if your BD didn't upscale, as often TV's have per input, per resolution settings.

Honestly for someone that isn't going to use a colorimeter I think the THX stuff is fine for doing rough brightness/contrast and if you've got blue filters color/tint. Granted this isn't close to what you can do with instruments, but a better disc probably won't get you much better results unless you have specific needs (geometry, convergence, ect...)

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
sotti is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I do not recommend using the THX patterns. Only as a stop-gap.

____________________________________________________________ _____
Why is that Chris? I thought George Lucas and his THX system was so highly respected. Or is that just for the audio portion?
Is there anything other than Wall-E? I normally don't watch cartoons.
Jim McC is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Member
 
luvmyDLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the Terminator2 blu-ray has the THX optimizer but i'm not sure if the source material or signals used in it is HD.
luvmyDLP is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

____________________________________________________________ _____
Why is that Chris? I thought George Lucas and his THX system was so highly respected. Or is that just for the audio portion?
Is there anything other than Wall-E? I normally don't watch cartoons.


Animation != cartoons

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
sotti is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco - East Bay area
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

It really shouldn't be different than a DVD. The DVD in an upscaling player the player should be switching the color space from 601 to 709 for you, the resolution will be 1080p.

Every device that up-converts 480 to 1080 SHOULD convert the SD color to HD correctly, unfortunately very few (perhaps very very few) do it. Most do NOTHING but up-convert and you are left with a problem that annoys me quite a bit... reds from SD sources (like DVD) that are noticeably too orange. This is easiest to detect with familiar colors of red... London buses, Coke advertising, American flag red, Stop signs, etc. Other colors are affected as well, but I find the reds are much easier to spot as being a problem than anything else. There are few video displays that have selectable SMPTE-C and Rec 709 color matrix settings (some Sony XBR models have had that setting, don't recall it in other displays but there are probably some others).

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Doug Blackburn is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyDLP View Post

the Terminator2 blu-ray has the THX optimizer but i'm not sure if the source material or signals used in it is HD.

____________________________________________________________ _____

Why would they put them on a Blu-ray disc if they're not for HD? That makes no sense to me.
Jim McC is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

____________________________________________________________ _____
Why is that Chris? I thought George Lucas and his THX system was so highly respected. Or is that just for the audio portion?
Is there anything other than Wall-E? I normally don't watch cartoons.

Their Optimode idea was one of the WORST concepts ever. The patterns were originally meant to be title-specific. Some of the HD titles with THX patterns are clipped.

Purchase a real calibration disc with a more thorough, and ACCURATE pattern set.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also, note that SD 601 is different than HD 709. SD and HD colors are slightly different, you should check each chain independently.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
tpaxadpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
you can use any Sony/Columbia Blu-Ray disc and type 7669 enter in the main menu to access hidden test patterns. The color/tint graph has a pludge bar, so you can adjust color/tint with blue filter as well as brightness of your display assuming it displays btw using your Blu-ray player.
tpaxadpom is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 PM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Every device that up-converts 480 to 1080 SHOULD convert the SD color to HD correctly, unfortunately very few (perhaps very very few) do it. Most do NOTHING but up-convert and you are left with a problem that annoys me quite a bit... reds from SD sources (like DVD) that are noticeably too orange. This is easiest to detect with familiar colors of red... London buses, Coke advertising, American flag red, Stop signs, etc. Other colors are affected as well, but I find the reds are much easier to spot as being a problem than anything else. There are few video displays that have selectable SMPTE-C and Rec 709 color matrix settings (some Sony XBR models have had that setting, don't recall it in other displays but there are probably some others).

I agree with you 100%, I think they should twist the colorspace, however many don't. And some influential people argue the contrary because there are 601 and 709 flags, but realistically nobody uses those and they aren't read by anything I am aware of, so it's kind of a theoretical argument. Which is why manually selectable decoding is an excellent failsafe for either case.

However it is important to note that you mean Rec 601 and Rec 709 color matrix settings, NOT SMPTE-C vs. Rec 709 which is a color gamut difference which is altogether unrelated and an entirely different can of worms!
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Do any Blu-ray movies have the THX Optimizer? If so, will the settings come out different than if you used the THX Optimizer on a standard DVD?

You can pop-up a complete (?) list here: http://thx.com/home/dvd/search.html. Blu-ray titles are marked "BD". There are only a few.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Voyeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I couldn't make heads nor tails from the Wall-E tests. It was weird. Unless I missed it, they didn't have any color or tint tests.
Voyeur is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Member
 
zenoicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
all BD THX titles in the list that wmcclain links to:
  • Brave Story
  • Clone Wars
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Shine A Light
  • Terminator 2
  • The Magic Hour
zenoicus is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off