Device question - i1pro UV Cut Filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Through my work, I have access to an EFI ES-1000, which is really nothing more than a re-branded i1pro(Sold as a color printer profiling tool).

Quote:

Device Information
Device type: i1Pro (UV CUT filter) [ Emission Reflectance Reflectance Scan ]
Serial number: 840968
Firmware version: 202
CPLD version: 2

Will the UV CUT Filter be any kind of a hindrance in using this device to do calibration work on my 32" Sharp Aquos and my new Samsung HL-61A750?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM

I believe the UV Cut version of the I1 Pro is not the one used for video calibration, though I can not give an in depth explanation as to why not? I do know that the the one's that Spectracal sell with CalMan are not the UV Cut Version. Maybe change the title of your thread to be a little more descriptive and Bill or Derek will jump in here.

Duke

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U Plasma
Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
Panasonic DVD-S97S DVD Player
DirecTV HR20-100S Hi-Def DVR Satellite Receiver
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 AM

I know it's a turbo necropost, but this is the exact question I'm faced with. It's just that these things go for less than 1/3rd the price of the i1 Pros.

So what's the difference between an i1 Pro and a EFI ES-1000 eye-one UVcut when it comes to display calibration?
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have read that the UV filter is only engaged during reflective measurements.

Therefore it's only for profiling a printer.

You can read a bit about the UV filter option in google.

Gretag McBeth (sp?) charged a few hundred more for units with the UV Cut filter which was installed as a response to certain phosphors in paper. (Not visible but still able to skew a print profile.

Eventually they decided to correct for that print profiling issue using software controls and they stopped making the i1 pros with the filter.

I do believe the filter is engaged only for reflective measurements and therefore not relevant to emissive readings which is all you would use with display calibration.

(Of course.... I really "WANT" to believe that because I purchased an EFI-ES1000 with the UVcut filter installed.)
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Found this in an even older AVS post...

QUOTED -

This question has been asked a few times, if the UV cut filter on an I1 would affect readings when doing calibration..

Spectra-cal stated it would...

However I posed the question to X-rite and this is the response I recieved from them:

Product: i1Pro

Symptom: Does UV filter affect emissive readings?

Proposed Resolution: No, the UV-cut filter in the i1Pro is specifically designed to allow emissive measurements to pass through. You will get an accurate monitor calibration with or with out the filter.

At this point I do not know who to believe, the manufacturer of the product, or the people selling calibration software.. at the time when I was purchasing calman, I had access to an i1pro with the uv-cut filter.. I had asked spectracal if I could use the meter and was told no, and so I ended up purchasing an i1d2 from them along with the software... was I fed this line just to increase my purchase?

I have since ditched my i1d2 as it always read reds very high, and calibrated using an i1pro wih uv-cut (I have access to several of them, some brand new and some used) and always had good consistent results..

End of Quote...
post #6 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
In our early testing years ago it was an issue mainly with wide gamut. The design has been updated so it is no longer an issue.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

In our early testing years ago it was an issue mainly with wide gamut. The design has been updated so it is no longer an issue.

Great, so does this mean the UVcut versions can also be sent in and receive the NIST certification?
post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Xrite will recertify them.

Spectracal will only recertify fairly new ones but offers discount replacements of older i1's

(that's what I heard, they may comment.)

I have no idea how old my efi es-1000 is though it is rev d. I wonder if it's age can be approximated by serial number.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Xrite will recertify them.

Spectracal will only recertify fairly new ones but offers discount replacements of older i1's

(that's what I heard, they may comment.)

I have no idea how old my efi es-1000 is though it is rev d. I wonder if it's age can be approximated by serial number.

For the record, a response from Spectracal on this topic:

Quote:

The EyeOne Pro with UV cut-off cannot be recertified in our labs. The UV cut-off filter is not appropriate for use in video calibration so we do not process them at all in our labs. X-Rite is still able to recertify this meter directly.

So there's a contrary opinion as to the meter's efficacy.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Typical of SpectraCal.

If you've been here for a while you'll understand.

-Brian
post #11 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Typical of SpectraCal.

If you've been here for a while you'll understand.

-Brian

I have and I do. I'm contacting X-Rite...

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not a cheapskate. I'm just very anxious (excited) to start calibrating as soon as possible with the budget I have as it slowly builds.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

When it comes to calibration,... there's always the temptation to go the cheapest possible route. I'm not sure why.

To me, I was never interested in having someone else "perform" a calibration because it was something I wanted to study and learn.

I have used projector's since 1999 and no matter what they are never plug and play. Setting them up is fun.

I bought an EFI ES-1000 and it happens to be UV CUT and I'm very happy with it. Finally I can measure colors with confidence and I can create a XYZ matrix to use with my Display2.

I think, for me, it was a much better route then getting a Display3 or whatever and being pretty much in the same place. (Better meter but still lots of uncertainty.)

-Brian
post #13 of 21 Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 AM

A quick followup: Spectracal just recanted their statement concerning the UVcut version: Spectracal WILL certify the meter and believes it IS acceptable for display calibration.

Nevertheless, I just ordered a NEW i1pro enhanced. I don't want a product that my clients may have doubts about. Besides, when you add in the shipping costs, recertification, and software costs, you're in the 700ish ballpark anyway... for a used product with few accessories.

Wish me luck guys, I'm scheduled for surgery on the 22nd to sell my left kidney so I can afford the THX class on the 28th.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM

Liked: 22
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just purchased an ES-1000 UV-cut and was told by a very knowledgeable technician that SpectraCal will NOT re-certify it. He basically said the unit would not be reliable and would fail their certification. I'm kind of bummed as I would now have to sell an item I just bought, but it was my fault for not doing enough research. Is there still a mixed opinion on this issue or am I out of luck?

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #15 of 21 Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just purchased an ES-1000 UV-cut and was told by a very knowledgeable technician that SpectraCal will NOT re-certify it. He basically said the unit would not be reliable and would fail their certification. I'm kind of bummed as I would now have to sell an item I just bought, but it was my fault for not doing enough research. Is there still a mixed opinion on this issue or am I out of luck?

Hi, SpectaCAL can only check the meter and tell you if is still inside the tolerance specs or if its out. Only X-Rite at Service Facilities can access the meters inside's and do tweaks in case the lamp is ok and not damaged, but the cost is high for a old and used meter.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #16 of 21 Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the uv cut es1000.
works fine per the color munki photo readings.
And it passes the xrite diag software that requires a reading from the pc monitor.

Loving D65
post #17 of 21 Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post

A quick followup: Spectracal just recanted their statement concerning the UVcut version: Spectracal WILL certify the meter and believes it IS acceptable for display calibration.

Nevertheless, I just ordered a NEW i1pro enhanced. I don't want a product that my clients may have doubts about. Besides, when you add in the shipping costs, recertification, and software costs, you're in the 700ish ballpark anyway... for a used product with few accessories.

Wish me luck guys, I'm scheduled for surgery on the 22nd to sell my left kidney so I can afford the THX class on the 28th.

This was correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

This was incorrect.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #18 of 21 Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

I have the uv cut es1000.
works fine per the color munki photo readings.
And it passes the xrite diag software that requires a reading from the pc monitor.

i1Diagnostics is an i1PRO diagnostics software that is doing some Reflectance measurementents using his calibration base and some Emission measurements using your PC monitor.

Reflectance Mode is used measure reflective light (printing/paper industry); to measure displays the Emissive Mode is used.

i1Diagnostics can't tell you enough informations about it's performance on Emissive measurements (for Displays).

You can't see from i1Diagnosis if the meter has drift.

If the user send it to spectracal, they will compare it using a Minolta CS-2000 for xyY deviation, If he will send it to X-rite they will use some reference colored tiles (for reflectance) and using a known to them calibration lamp with Minolta CS-1000 for emissive.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #19 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 AM

Liked: 22
Joel (sotti),
Thank again for clarifying the matter entirely. As long as one has a Rev B or higher that will work.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #20 of 21 Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 AM

Liked: 15
How much does X~rite charge to recertify an i1 Pro Rev D?
post #21 of 21 Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

How much does X~rite charge to recertify an i1 Pro Rev D?

They are using another calibration center now at germany, send RMA and they will reply to you immediately with the price.

http://www.xrite.com/support_repair.aspx

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page