RGB Limited or Full on LN55A950 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is on the forums somewhere but I have looked for an hour and I can't find a definitive answer.

In my Playstation 3 Menu should I set my RGB to Limited or Full (HDMI) on my LN55A950?

Thank you, and any other tips for PS3 settings would be appreciated, I pretty much have the TV itself calibrated to my liking but the PS3 settings are confusing me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Try the PS3 FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=931796#video

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieHermit View Post

Sorry if this is on the forums somewhere but I have looked for an hour and I can't find a definitive answer.

In my Playstation 3 Menu should I set my RGB to Limited or Full (HDMI) on my LN55A950?

Thank you, and any other tips for PS3 settings would be appreciated, I pretty much have the TV itself calibrated to my liking but the PS3 settings are confusing me.

Seems to me the Samsung settings are "Normal" and "Low". The Samsung TVs will gray-out the Black Level setting if you are receiving YCbCr video (rather than RGB). They only receive YCbCr in 16-235 mode (which is "Normal" in Samsung parlance).

If I remember right, the PS3's black level settings are Limited and Full. Limited means 16-235... Full means 0-255. For using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, you want to set the HDMI output to YCbCr mode (I think Sony complicates it by using Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr or something like that in their menu, select that setting) AND set the Black Level to Limited. But set SuperWhite mode to ON on the PS3. Blu-ray movies are already encoded as YCbCr 16-235 so keeping the whole playback chain in that mode prevents unneed or unwanted conversions or black level problems.

When you send YCbCr in Limited (16-235) from the PS3 to the Samsung TV, when you look at the Samsung Black Level setting it MAY be grayed out and set to Normal. If it is NOT grayed out, and it is set to Low, change the setting to Normal. That way you will be sending YCbCr 16-235 and the TV will be EXPECTING YCbCr 16-235.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Seems to me the Samsung settings are "Normal" and "Low". The Samsung TVs will gray-out the Black Level setting if you are receiving YCbCr video (rather than RGB). They only receive YCbCr in 16-235 mode (which is "Normal" in Samsung parlance).

If I remember right, the PS3's black level settings are Limited and Full. Limited means 16-235... Full means 0-255. For using the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, you want to set the HDMI output to YCbCr mode (I think Sony complicates it by using Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr or something like that in their menu, select that setting) AND set the Black Level to Limited. But set SuperWhite mode to ON on the PS3. Blu-ray movies are already encoded as YCbCr 16-235 so keeping the whole playback chain in that mode prevents unneed or unwanted conversions or black level problems.

When you send YCbCr in Limited (16-235) from the PS3 to the Samsung TV, when you look at the Samsung Black Level setting it MAY be grayed out and set to Normal. If it is NOT grayed out, and it is set to Low, change the setting to Normal. That way you will be sending YCbCr 16-235 and the TV will be EXPECTING YCbCr 16-235.

Actually, Doug, based on all the discussion of PS3 and Xbox360 settings in the A650 thread, I think the Samsung labels are the other way around. (See for example the various settings on this page of the A650 calibration thread.) If the PS3 is set to Full RGB (0-255) then the Samsung HDMI Black Level should be Normal; if set to Limited RGB (16-235) then the Samsung HDMI Black Level should be set to Low. This matches my experience with my Pioneer DVD player, where I had to set the Samsung HDMI Black Level to Low to match its 16-235 range. What makes this all very confusing is that the option box says Normal when grayed out for YCbCr, even though it expects, of course, its low 16-235 levels.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

Actually, Doug, based on all the discussion of PS3 and Xbox360 settings in the A650 thread, I think the Samsung labels are the other way around. (See for example the various settings on this page of the A650 calibration thread.) If the PS3 is set to Full RGB (0-255) then the Samsung HDMI Black Level should be Normal; if set to Limited RGB (16-235) then the Samsung HDMI Black Level should be set to Low. This matches my experience with my Pioneer DVD player, where I had to set the Samsung HDMI Black Level to Low to match its 16-235 range. What makes this all very confusing is that the option box says Normal when grayed out for YCbCr, even though it expects, of course, its low 16-235 levels.

You are correct. That does appear to be how it works.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page