Brightness????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just where the hell is the correct setting for brightness???

the default setting for Brightness seemed kinda dark to me, so i set it up kinda high yet there are still things that just dont seem right. example: on any Simpsons dvd i have, Lenny's hair seems almost black, i can barely make out the brown. also alot of dark colors look almost black. and this is with my brightness turned up a good bit! yet when i turn up my brightness i kind of notice that tv doesnt look as good. wtf??? my dvd player is hooked up with component cables if that is useful info, wile my cable tv is simply screwed right in the back of the tv set. so what is the deal? i know there is no "universal" setting for brightness as all tvs are different but i just wondered if they generally need to be up or down on brightness. or is there any other way to fool with brightness and tweak it in the service menu? i can get into that i just have no idea what anything in the menu is. please help!

i have a sony wega trinitron, standard not hdtv

I want to shoot my TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Sounds like the action of a "black enhancer" or "dynamic black" circuit. If your TV has anything called something similar to this, turn it off. Also, if it has a "pro" or "movie" picture mode, try it- it will not have as much of these type of things built in.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300

Why I don't publish settings
Review index and rankings
post #3 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

no theres nuthin like that in the display settings. is there anything in the service menu that could change the black level?

also i was usin standard mode, dunno if thats any better or worse than the other modes.

I want to shoot my TV
post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Yes, if you can find a Y-DC control in the SM, turn it to 0. There may be other controls also, but older or standard def Sony CRTs have different service menus and I can't remember all the details. There may also be something like DPIC, which should also be turned to 0.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300

Why I don't publish settings
Review index and rankings
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

ok, thanks for the info. ill check out the menu and hopefully i wont have any problems

I want to shoot my TV
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 228
You really need a test/setup disc or a movie with the THX Optimizer on it (Pixar titles often have it). In the test/setup disc there will be a PLUGE pattern with black and near-black bars. Follow the instructions that come with the disc to set the Brightness control. The THX Optimizer sequence has on-screen instructions for setting the Brightness control. The next problem you will get into is that most setup discs and the THX Optimizer have patterns that are supposed to help you set the Contrast control also - the problem is, they only help you get to the brightest possible setting for the Contrast control which may or may not be where you really want the Contrast control set. So take their info about setting Contrast with a grain of salt. You will more than likely want a lower Contrast setting than the disc or THX Optimizer will lead you to if you follow their instructions (assuming you are viewing in a dark room). The key is to pick a Contrast setting for dark room viewing that lets you watch a 2 or 3 hour movie without experiencing eye strain caused by the picture being too bright. If you find yourself squinting or feeling fatigued or headache-y after a movie, Contrast is probably set too high.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page