Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #361 of 5762 Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you going to do/ or is it possible with i1pro? to have corrected LED tables?

Or is the i1pro good enough for that right now...

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5762 Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I noticed the workflow had the gamma done last...

Would it not be better to do this order:

1 - contrast
2 - brightness
3- gamma
4- white balance
5 - color/tint
6 - gamut

This way, you have the correct gamma from the start as a good base, then the rest will calibrate from there..

Or

Does gamma not really impact anything so doing it last is fine?

Thanks
post #363 of 5762 Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Are you going to do/ or is it possible with i1pro? to have corrected LED tables?

Or is the i1pro good enough for that right now...

For now, our custom calibrations are offered for the Chroma 5 and Klein K-10 colorimeters only.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #364 of 5762 Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Do black level, white level, and then white balance. After that, the order is not critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

I noticed the workflow had the gamma done last...

Would it not be better to do this order:

1 - contrast
2 - brightness
3- gamma
4- white balance
5 - color/tint
6 - gamut

This way, you have the correct gamma from the start as a good base, then the rest will calibrate from there..

Or

Does gamma not really impact anything so doing it last is fine?

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #365 of 5762 Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

This is something we may add in the near future. I first wanted to see if the program was successful. Doing this requires a non-trivial capital investment on our part.

Can't find where Current Users can Download the Upgrade?
post #366 of 5762 Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Can't find where Current Users can Download the Upgrade?

I send a download link to only those who have sent in their Chroma 5s for recalibration. Other than this, there is no difference between this build and 1.2.1. In fact the new build won't even work without an updated license file.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #367 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity just published a review of different DIY calibrations packages, including ChromaPure. Take a look.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/diy/8...-overview.html

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #368 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well I can't comment on Calman but IMO the review is spot on with Chromapure and HCFR (and Calman is what I thought it to be). Having used both Chromapure and HCFR the choice is easy...Chromapure wins hands down. Do I regret not getting Calman? Not in the least. Chromapure does everything I need and makes it simple. It also has a tremendous help section (which I did not see mentioned in the review). Now that we can send Chroma 5's back to Tom for periodic tweaking I see no reason not to buy Chromapure.

I do have to check out the built-in Chromapure color pattern generator.....I was unaware of this feature....if my Mac (running XP in Boot Camp) outputs unaltered HDMI colors this sounds like huge timesaver.

Geof
post #369 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Tom - is there any problem using a USB extension cable with the Chroma 5?

Edit: Never mind - already addressed positively. here

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #370 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity just published a review of different DIY calibrations packages, including ChromaPure. Take a look.

That's a great review, Tom--Congratulations! I can certainly echo the ease of use of ChromaPure. (Still hope you will put out a Mac version; would buy it again!)
post #371 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity just published a review of different DIY calibrations packages, including ChromaPure.

I use all three packages. Presumably I'm not the target audience since I found both this review and the (now dated) CalMAN review unhelpful (presumably because I know how they work).

They also need a technical copy editor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #372 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Congratulations Tom, sounds like they were very impressed with your software - and I'd also like to say "thanks" - the information you post is always very helpful to someone like me just geting to know this stuff.
post #373 of 5762 Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
One Chroma5 will be in the mail today!

Just another blank signature.
post #374 of 5762 Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Got some lurker questions.

I have an old CRT that I adjusted using the original Video Essentials DVD back in the day (1999!). I am planning to upgrade to a plasma this summer/fall and plan to purchase a ChromaPure kit for calibration. The recent “Secrets” article was very helpful in my decision.

To automate the process some, I will be using a laptop via USB to HDMI. Will any ol’ USB to HDMI converter work fine since it's all digital data? Or is there a need for some level of quality (aka higher priced) when using an USB to HDMI converter? Any recommendations would be helpful.

I am thinking about getting the software now and doing a calibration on my old CRT using the ChromaPure DVD that is available. That way I can get familiar with the software etc… It will be good to know what my set of eye’s have become accustomed to over the years.

Not to step on a landmine but; Gamma? Can someone describe the “visual” difference between an ideal HDTV with a flat 2.2 v.s. 2.35? I have read Tom’s article about understanding gamma so I get the need for a consistent level for various output intensities but will probably want to experiment within a range to see if I have a preference.

Would targeting a different gamma for daytime cal. Vs. nighttime cal. have any benefits? Or is that just crazy talk?

Gaugster
post #375 of 5762 Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster View Post

To automate the process some, I will be using a laptop via USB to HDMI. Will any ol' USB to HDMI converter work fine since it's all digital data?

I strongly recommend that you use a BD/DVD player unless your primary video source is the same laptop via USB. It can be challenging to get output levels perfect when using a computer.

Quote:

Not to step on a landmine but; Gamma? Can someone describe the visual difference between an ideal HDTV with a flat 2.2 v.s. 2.35? ...

See the Wikipedia article on gamma correction for example images.

post #376 of 5762 Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I strongly recommend that you use a BD/DVD player unless your primary video source is the same laptop via USB. It can be challenging to get output levels perfect when using a computer.

See the Wikipedia article on gamma correction for example images.

Thanks for the information. My understanding of gamma is better now. I've always been inclined to try to adjust the complete video system. I.e. Environment, player & display so I will use the BD player& DVD. I guess digital doesn't fix everything. lol

Gaugster
post #377 of 5762 Old 05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster View Post

Can someone describe the visual difference between an ideal HDTV with a flat 2.2 v.s. 2.35? I have read Tom's article about understanding gamma so I get the need for a consistent level for various output intensities but will probably want to experiment within a range to see if I have a preference.

Would targeting a different gamma for daytime cal. Vs. nighttime cal. have any benefits? Or is that just crazy talk?

Briefly, 2.35 might provide more depth and deeper blacks. 2.2 would provide better shadow detail.

My vote is with crazy talk. . . .

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #378 of 5762 Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Tom - I recently sent you my Chroma 5 for the Pro upgrade. Which mode do I use for a Samsung HL67A750 DLP LED?

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #379 of 5762 Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Tom - I recently sent you my Chroma 5 for the Pro upgrade. Which mode do I use for a Samsung HL67A750 DLP LED?

Front Projection would be the best bet.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #380 of 5762 Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Tom - Which mode should I use for an LG 47LH90?
post #381 of 5762 Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland.johnson View Post

Tom - Which mode should I use for an LG 47LH90?

Generic LCD. This is an average of the Sony and Samsung corrections.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #382 of 5762 Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before. Maybe someone can point me to the right place. My question is why does a probe need to be calibrated to the display type. If the probe is measuring the quantity and wavelength of photons why does it matter how they were produced?
post #383 of 5762 Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland.johnson View Post

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before. Maybe someone can point me to the right place. My question is why does a probe need to be calibrated to the display type. If the probe is measuring the quantity and wavelength of photons why does it matter how they were produced?

Tristimulus colorimeters read color by employing photo sensitive diodes that have filters between them and the light source. These filters simulate the response of the human eye. The problem is that this response is quite complex, so it cannot be mimicked precisely by filters, at least ones that are reasonably affordable. To solve this problem, manufacturers build calibration tables into the probes to improve their accuracy. These tables are based on readings from a spectroradiometer that does not use filters, but that reads the spectra of the light directly. Color is mathematically calculated from this spectrographic data using color matching functions established by CIE in 1931.

The Chroma 5 PRO builds on this strategy by creating calibrations for colorimeters that are specific to each unit and that are derived from a variety of display types, not just generic CRT and LCD. Also, we use a 5nm spectroradiometer, which is more accurate than the standard 8nm spectroradiometer used by manufacturers.

To understand why a filter-based colorimeter requires different calibrations for different devices, consider two displays: Display 1 and Display 2.

Assume that because of different design parameters, the light coming from each of these has a unique spectrographic profile. A spectroradiometer--if it is sensitive enough--will discern the difference between them, while a filter-based device whose internal calibration table is based on a third display with its own spectrographic properties may not.

If you are interested in learning more about this, see the following X-Rite white paper.

http://www.chromapure.com/xrite/Xrit...ionDevices.pdf

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #384 of 5762 Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The ChromaPure PDF report size far exceeds the AVS upload limit, measuring over 2 MB.
I have been experimenting with the free version of PrimoPDF to convert the .xls to PDF with good results.
Using the Screen template in PrimoPDF to process the .xls (498 KB) to PDF results in a 142KB file.

There are several templates in PrimoPDF, screen, Ebook, Prepress etc. Give the program a try.

The attached is the calibration of my LG 55LH90, done in February, converted to PDF from .xls using the MS (free) xls viewer and then printing to the PrimoPDF printer installed under 'Printers and Faxes' in XP by PrimoPDF.

LH90 Corrected Gamma.pdf 141.296875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LH90 Corrected Gamma.pdf (141.3 KB, 8 views)

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #385 of 5762 Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post
The ChromaPure PDF report size far exceeds the AVS upload limit, measuring over 2 MB.
I have been experimenting with the free version of PrimoPDF to convert the .xls to PDF with good results.
Using the Screen template in PrimoPDF to process the .xls (498 KB) to PDF results in a 142KB file.

There are several templates in PrimoPDF, screen, Ebook, Prepress etc. Give the program a try.

The attached is the calibration of my LG 55LH90, done in February, converted to PDF from .xls using the MS (free) xls viewer and then printing to the PrimoPDF printer installed under 'Printers and Faxes' in XP by PrimoPDF.
Wow, thanks for the tip!

Attached are the full results from my 60pk550.

CalibrationSummaryDetailed.pdf 127.1923828125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CalibrationSummaryDetailed.pdf (127.2 KB, 10 views)
post #386 of 5762 Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I will be another new Chromapure user! Made the purchase yesterday for the Chroma 5 Pro package. After looking at Calman 4.0 and then watching Toms demo's online plus having run my own cals with HCFR it was clearly obvious that Chromapure is the easiest, quickest and most informative way to calibrate. Continuous measure gamma calibration...that is so sweet! I have a VideoEq Pro and this should be quick and easy to run calibrations. The gui that comes with VEQpro is easy to use and the controls fall in line with Chromapure's adjustments for CMS. I know Calman can control the VideoEQ Pro to make it more automated but after reading it took one guy 4 hours to run a cal and he had to reset his VEQ a few times and start over I said forget that. I can run them much quicker in HCFR but with Chromapure it will cut that time down even more for sure. Then the Chroma 5 Pro and the ability to send it back in for a recalibration is a no brainer. One meter to do it all basically and piece of mind that the meter is pretty darn accurate too thanks to the Pro option. I am really looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Ron
post #387 of 5762 Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Heads up:

Tom's now got a dedicated support forum for ChromaPure over at my site that he's going to be monitoring. See here.

It's probably not widely known, but I based my original 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' guide on Tom's original workflow process found here at AVS, so it's really nice to see him now have come up with calibration software that follows that same logical flow. Congrats Tom! Much easier to follow his on-screen steps than having to read my 20,000 word guide.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #388 of 5762 Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Heads up:

Tom's now got a dedicated support forum for ChromaPure over at my site that he's going to be monitoring. See here.

It's probably not widely known, but I based my original 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' guide on Tom's original workflow process found here at AVS, so it's really nice to see him now have come up with calibration software that follows that same logical flow. Congrats Tom! Much easier to follow his on-screen steps than having to read my 20,000 word guide.

Kal

Kal, are there any duties or taxes added for Canadians when ordering a ChromaPure calibration package?

post #389 of 5762 Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Kal, are there any duties or taxes added for Canadians when ordering a ChromaPure calibration package?

I think I can answer this. If you already have a meter and just want software, it is a digital download, so no extra costs. However, if you purchase a software/meter bundle, then this must be shipped from the U.S. to Canada, so standard shipping fees and whatever duties and/or taxes Canada requires would be part of the user's cost.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #390 of 5762 Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Thanks Tom, I figured that would be the case.

Are there any restrictions on the meter that is used or is ChromaPure useable with any of the supported devices? For example, if I have a Display 2, and later purchase an Eye One Pro, do I require different licensing?

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page