post #5611 of 5936 Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter73 View Post
If you get the dE under 1.8 (I aim for 1.0 to 1.5), you will have a very good calibration. Allthough there is a difference of opinion on the matter, there are those who argue (and rightly so in my opinion) that, in actual video footage, you cannot differentiate a dE lower the 1.8. I mean you can aim for a lower number but you won't see the difference. The reason I tell you this is that you might want to try to let go of the overdone low dE on the primairies to see if that allowes you to do better on the secondairies.
Good call, thanks, that worked. I finally got a good calibration, I'm pretty stoked right now. Everything is under dE of 1.1 or lower.
I followed the advice online and started on the hue and saturation first then worked on luminance. Incredible difference to say the least! The picture is COMPLETELY different than any previous calibration I've done on this set. Getting the primaries mostly lined up and doing the hue and saturation first made a world of difference.
Here is the final chart. Its not perfect but its probably as close as its going to get without a spectrometer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	number1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	207129  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5936 Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
An i1Pro 2 is about $1K.

Here's our video.

http://www.chromapure.com/movies/cor...orrection.html
Yikes, a little out of my ballpark funds wise. I'll look around for a used one and see what I can find.
post #5613 of 5936 Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post
You can always look for used i1 pro's (the model before the i1pro 2) on ebay. Just look for Rev D. The i1 pro seems like a pretty robust device. Unless it's been mistreated you can pretty much expect it to work well.

Snatched up
post #5614 of 5936 Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure how to describe this - I'm looking for a CIE chart, diagram or explanation on how adjusting primary colors affect secondary positions on a CIE chart. Like if you adjust red hue, does that push yellow closer to green and move the rest of the secondaries in a revolving circle, etc?
For example, adjusting saturation moves the colors closer to, or farther from the gamut triangle. If hue adjustments swing secondary colors between primaries, what does saturation and luminance do to the secondaries?

I saw a chart a while back that had a graphic on how primary adjustments (hue, saturation, luminance) determined where the secondaries fall into place. I cant find that chart or an explanation, and am hoping someone could point me to a link, or post a chart or explain how it works.

Am I making any sense here?
post #5615 of 5936 Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post
I'm not sure how to describe this - I'm looking for a CIE chart, diagram or explanation on how adjusting primary colors affect secondary positions on a CIE chart. Like if you adjust red hue, does that push yellow closer to green and move the rest of the secondaries in a revolving circle, etc?
For example, adjusting saturation moves the colors closer to, or farther from the gamut triangle. If hue adjustments swing secondary colors between primaries, what does saturation and luminance do to the secondaries?

I saw a chart a while back that had a graphic on how primary adjustments (hue, saturation, luminance) determined where the secondaries fall into place. I cant find that chart or an explanation, and am hoping someone could point me to a link, or post a chart or explain how it works.

Am I making any sense here?
It occurs to me that in this now rather lengthy description of your difficulty getting good color correction, all you have provided so far are verbal descriptions. If you would post a chart and some numbers it would be very useful and I think save a lot of time.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5616 of 5936 Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It occurs to me that in this now rather lengthy description of your difficulty getting good color correction, all you have provided so far are verbal descriptions. If you would post a chart and some numbers it would be very useful and I think save a lot of time.
Apologies, that's a good idea. I'll put up the latest CIE chart later this afternoon with a better description of what information I'm looking for.
post #5617 of 5936 Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is the latest chart. As you see I'm having difficulty getting yellow and magenta perfectly lined up. For an example, if I bring red hue to 0% it drags cyan and magenta closer to reference but it also drags yellow farther from reference. I'm not sure how to get them all lined up correctly, because I really think I can make it happen.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIE chart.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	209665  
post #5618 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom, my i1 Pro2 will be delivered this week. Can wait, my i1D3 will finally be calibrated to my Samsung OLED TV and not plasma. (Hope CP standard has license for two meters.) Before I try to profile the colorimeter against the i1Pro2, I have a few questions.
  • With OLED in mind, contact or non-contact for the i1Pro2? Should the colorimeter also be the same distance from the screen as the i1Pro2? Does it matter at all?
  • Do I use the 100% Amplitude patterns for the WRGB test?
  • Will I be able to restore or re-enter the original CP corrections for my i1D3 if I find something wrong with the i1 Pro2 meter?
post #5619 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here is the latest chart. As you see I'm having difficulty getting yellow and magenta perfectly lined up. For an example, if I bring red hue to 0% it drags cyan and magenta closer to reference but it also drags yellow farther from reference. I'm not sure how to get them all lined up correctly, because I really think I can make it happen.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Yellow is a little undersaturated because green is. There is nothing you can do about this. One thing you can do is turn up the main Color control a tick or two to increase the color luminance.

Focus on the dE numbers more than the locations on the charts. Try to get all at or below 1.5. You are close now. The Color adjustment should do the rest.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5620 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Tom, my i1 Pro2 will be delivered this week. Can wait, my i1D3 will finally be calibrated to my Samsung OLED TV and not plasma. (Hope CP standard has license for two meters.) Before I try to profile the colorimeter against the i1Pro2, I have a few questions.
  • With OLED in mind, contact or non-contact for the i1Pro2? Should the colorimeter also be the same distance from the screen as the i1Pro2? Does it matter at all?
  • Do I use the 100% Amplitude patterns for the WRGB test?
  • Will I be able to restore or re-enter the original CP corrections for my i1D3 if I find something wrong with the i1 Pro2 meter?
1. Doesn't matter.
2. Doesn't matter.
3. If you have a Display 3 PRO, those corrections are stored in the license file. Profiling in the program has no effect on this. You are just adding additional corrections to the existing corrections for that session.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5621 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^excellent.

Edit: wait, but the profiling can be saved, no? I won't need to repeat profiling with every new session, will I?

Last edited by Pres2play; 08-13-2014 at 02:34 AM.
post #5622 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
^^^excellent.

Edit: wait, but the profiling can be saved, no? I won't need to repeat profiling with every new session, will I?
Hi, yes, you have to run a new four color matrix meter correction profiling each time you are opening ChromaPure.

(I'm not sure if Tom has add a feature to save the meter correction table when you are saving a session and restore it when you are loading a saved session, but this has not been written officially to ChromaPure manual.)

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5623 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, yes, you have to run a new four color matrix meter correction profiling each time you are opening ChromaPure.

(I'm not sure if Tom has add a feature to save the meter correction table when you are saving a session and restore it when you are loading a saved session, but this has not been written officially to ChromaPure manual.)
Yes, the meter correction data is included with each session file.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5624 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Quote:
Yes, the meter correction data is included with each session file.

The meter correction data is included (I have the i1 Display Pro3) and loaded each time I initialize the meter, but I must still run the four color matrix meter correction when I start a new session? Is this correct?

Also, about the license for the i1 Pro2, is it included with CP standard edition? Do I need a Calman license, as I have read on another thread.
post #5625 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post
You can always look for used i1 pro's (the model before the i1pro 2) on ebay. Just look for Rev D. The i1 pro seems like a pretty robust device. Unless it's been mistreated you can pretty much expect it to work well.
I used this thread How to buy an i1pro on eBay

as a guide to make an i1pro purchase. It took me 2 weeks to find the appropriate instrument. I was victorious with a $249 bid. This bid consisted of meter and calibration plate only.

Carada BW-115" , Epson 8700 UB
Oppo BDP-93 ,Roku 3 ,
MX-1200
Energy S10.3, Energy CB-20 ,Energy CC-10
Onkyo TX-SR 707 ,Emotiva UPA-700
ChromaPure, i1pro, i1 display 3
post #5626 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The meter correction data is included (I have the i1 Display Pro3) and loaded each time I initialize the meter, but I must still run the four color matrix meter correction when I start a new session? Is this correct?
Displays (and meters) are drifting over the usage time, since you own i1PRO2, it's better to create a new meter correction table every day you are starting to calibrate your display.

If you are doing multiple sessions to the same display the same day, you can save each session of ChromaPure and restore it later once you will re-calibrate again. This saved you some time for re-running a new meter correction table.

Quote:
Also, about the license for the i1 Pro2, is it included with CP standard edition? Do I need a Calman license, as I have read on another thread.
ChromaPure is coming with 2 meter licenses, you have to contact with ChromaPure support to send your i1pro2 serial to generate you a new license file; to use your both meters from within ChromaPure.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-13-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #5627 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Ted.

Since I will need to run the four-color matrix correction with the i1 Pro2, is there a way in CP to compare pre and post profiling side by side?
post #5628 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Ted.

Since I will need to run the four-color matrix correction with the i1 Pro2, is there a way in CP to compare pre and post profiling side by side?
Start ChromaPure, take the WRGB readings (with i1d3 unprofiled) using the Gamut Page, export to PDF.....Later create the meter correction table, take again WRGB readings with Gamut Page, export to PDF....

After that you can compare the pre-post PDF files.

post #5629 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again!
post #5630 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Ted.

After you finish the WRGB measurements of field and reference meter in the Meter Corrections module, click Save on the navigation bar and save the .calx session file. Anytime later you can click Load and import that session file, which contains the profiling measurements. All you have to do is click Apply in the Meter Correction module to restore them.

There is a "Corrections Enabled" checkbox in the Meter Correction module. Take one set of measurements with this checked and then one set of measurements with it unchecked. This allows you to compare the with/without profiling performance.
manos_kastr and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5631 of 5936 Old 08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Clever, Tom. I'll do that, create session file with i1 Pro2 corrections and save it for future sessions.

Didn't notice the "Corrects Enabled" check box before. Well...I did. Just didn't know it would come in handy this way.
manos_kastr and ConnecTEDDD like this.
post #5632 of 5936 Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yellow is a little undersaturated because green is. There is nothing you can do about this. One thing you can do is turn up the main Color control a tick or two to increase the color luminance.

Focus on the dE numbers more than the locations on the charts. Try to get all at or below 1.5. You are close now. The Color adjustment should do the rest.
Here's the last chart I've done. All are below 1.5 now but the grayscale I may look at a little later because of it leaning toward the red so much. Fixing it shouldn't affect the color balance should it? Also, I may drop the green saturation a bit to see if I can line up the yellow better as the main color control is already at 50.

Is there any way to get magenta lined up better also or is that a saturation issue also?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_number10_numbers.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	212121  
post #5633 of 5936 Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 554
CMS and Greyscale are iterative processes one does generally affect the other, also make sure you are going back and checking your brightness setting.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5634 of 5936 Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's the last chart I've done. All are below 1.5 now but the grayscale I may look at a little later because of it leaning toward the red so much. Fixing it shouldn't affect the color balance should it? Also, I may drop the green saturation a bit to see if I can line up the yellow better as the main color control is already at 50.

Is there any way to get magenta lined up better also or is that a saturation issue also?
Magenta and yellow have dE values of 0.8 and 1.5 respectively. Leave them alone.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5635 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My i1 Pro2 didn't come with the software application. Which package do you recommend to go with my i1d3?
post #5636 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My i1 Pro2 didn't come with the software application. Which package do you recommend to go with my i1d3?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5637 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

A DVD software application is supposed to come with the kit. The user manual says "before you can use your device or see its status, you need to install the software application on your computer..." Perhaps this is not needed for ChromaPure?
post #5638 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, downloading the new license took about 5 seconds. Thanks Tom.
post #5639 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A DVD software application is supposed to come with the kit. The user manual says "before you can use your device or see its status, you need to install the software application on your computer..." Perhaps this is not needed for ChromaPure?
All you need is the driver, which is in the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Display Calibrations LLC\ChromaPure\Drivers\i1Pro2\
folder.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5640 of 5936 Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Driver failing to install. Meter not detected.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i1 pro2.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	213809  
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page