Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #5731 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I use an Asus laptop, too, and CP works fine. Maybe these will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display resolution.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	251322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asus display.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	251330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DPI setting.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	251338  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom, how do I calibrate colors at 75%? Tried by selecting 75% of Rec709 in the options menu, but the color points inside the triangle only moved closer to the white point.

First image at 100% intensity. Second taken with ACM at 75% shows primaries closer to center white point
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Advance color management Sept1 keep.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	251450   Click image for larger version

Name:	gamut measured at 75% saturation.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	251458  

Last edited by Pres2play; 09-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #5733 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
In Windows 8.1 it is
Control Panel, Display
Check "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"
Select "Smaller - 100%"
Click Apply.

As long as you have the video card set to display the panel's native resolution, then this should work.
Yes, it works (in that the text on the home page is not clipped). But then everything is so small that it is not readable. It seems that Chromapure has problems with non-standard display resolutions. Making changes to make Chromapure display reasonably well, compromise other applications.

For me, I did not pursue this issue back in November as I had an alternative (continue to use my old laptop for cal jobs). If I didn't have that alternative, I might have to change the display settings JUST to run Chromapure.

I do acknowledge that the incidents of people having such non-standard displays probably do not justify major changes to Chromapure.

Dave Hancock
post #5734 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
I use an Asus laptop, too, and CP works fine. Maybe these will help.
Mine was a special model made for (and only sold by Best Buy). It could well be that my model was not as well engineered as it should be. But it does work well for Photoshop and the more ordinary applications. Likely a similar situation for pictureplus.

The crux of the issue is the native resolution of the display. Yours is 1366 x 768, mine is 1920 x 1080. pictureplus is even higher (and probably worse)!

Dave Hancock

Last edited by davehancock; 09-07-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added note responding to later post from Pres2play
post #5735 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Tom, how do I calibrate colors at 75%? Tried by selecting 75% of Rec709 in the options menu, but the color points inside the triangle only moved closer to the white point.

First image at 100% intensity. Second taken with ACM at 75% shows primaries closer to center white point
You are mixing up intensity with saturation. 75% of Rec. 709 is a gamut that is 75% the saturation of the HD gamut. Thus, the pri/sec colors are closer to the white point.

75% intensity has the same gamut, but the test patterns are at 75% intensity, rather than 100%. This is selected at Options, Signal Generators, Intensity OR for the ACM module only it is selected there directly.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5736 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Yes, it works (in that the text on the home page is not clipped). But then everything is so small that it is not readable. It seems that Chromapure has problems with non-standard display resolutions. Making changes to make Chromapure display reasonably well, compromise other applications.
ChromaPure is designed to work at 100% text size @ the display's native resolution.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5737 of 5752 Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are mixing up intensity with saturation. 75% of Rec. 709 is a gamut that is 75% the saturation of the HD gamut. Thus, the pri/sec colors are closer to the white point.

75% intensity has the same gamut, but the test patterns are at 75% intensity, rather than 100%. This is selected at Options, Signal Generators, Intensity OR for the ACM module only it is selected there directly.

Got it.
post #5738 of 5752 Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ChromaPure is designed to work at 100% text size @ the display's native resolution.
Hence, it only displays properly on 1366 x 768 displays (or smaller). There are readability problems on the Home page with higher resolution displays.

The modules do not (for me) present problems. Also, there is no problem using the internal signal generator.

Dave Hancock

Last edited by davehancock; 09-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.
post #5739 of 5752 Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Hence, it only displays properly on 1366 x 768 displays (or smaller). There are readability problems on the Home page with higher resolution displays.
I am running it on a 1600 x 900 17" display on my laptop and it is fine. It would also be fine on a 1920 x 1080 display if the monitor were large enough, say in the 20"+ range. Currently, as far as I know, laptops are limited to 17", though with a desktop you could get any size you liked.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5740 of 5752 Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am running it on a 1600 x 900 17" display on my laptop and it is fine. It would also be fine on a 1920 x 1080 display if the monitor were large enough, say in the 20"+ range. Currently, as far as I know, laptops are limited to 17", though with a desktop you could get any size you liked.
You are right in that if the display were larger, the problem wouldn't exist. My 1920 x 1080 is a 15", and I'll bet that picturelus' is also not large. It looks like laptops are trending towards a lower dot pitch (I'll bet "4K" laptops aren't far away ).

Dave Hancock
post #5741 of 5752 Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I am having a problem with my Chromapure. When i try to enter Gamma tools i get a error message. Anyone know what to do? :/

Kai
post #5742 of 5752 Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikill View Post
I am having a problem with my Chromapure. When i try to enter Gamma tools i get a error message. Anyone know what to do? :/
European users need to set the PC to use periods for a decimal points and commas for list separators.
In Windows 7 you do this in Control Panel, Region and Language, Additional Settings
Select a period "." for the Decimal Symbol
Select a comma "," for List Separator
In Windows XP the path is Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Customize.
In Windows 8 the path is Control Panel, Region, Additional Settings.
Make the same changes as listed above.
You can always set these back to the regional default when finished with the session.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5743 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 AM

Tom,

I didnt seem to work just to change those two items, but when i changed the setting on the main page to american everything was smooth Thank you very much.

Now i dont want to ask you too answeer this other question as i recon you got stuff to do, but after my last trial and error calibration i am a little uncertain what to do. I have attached the reports page3 and 4 for clarification.

I seem to have gooten everything a little better with the exception of the color lightness :/ Dont know how to correct that one.

Anybody with input I am glad for any help

Kai
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	page 4.png
Views:	34
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	260098   Click image for larger version

Name:	page3.png
Views:	31
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	260106  
post #5744 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
try to increase the "color" setting a notch or 2

not sure what display you are calibrating, does it have a CMS.

anyway to avoid contaminating this thread it might be useful if you create a new thread
post #5745 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACappo View Post
try to increase the "color" setting a notch or 2

not sure what display you are calibrating, does it have a CMS.

anyway to avoid contaminating this thread it might be useful if you create a new thread
aaaaa... sorry i will (its a samsung LED TV)

will try your tip. Thanks

Regards
Kai
post #5746 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikill View Post
I seem to have gooten everything a little better with the exception of the color lightness :/ Dont know how to correct that one.
See this
The Official ChromaPure thread

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5747 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I am experiencing a bug. I don't know if it's been reported here or not.

If I start ChromaPure with the gamut target at rec 709 and then change it to 75% of rec 709 and then exit and re enter the program, then the target points for the ACM module are shrunk to where the 100% sat points are where 75% sat should be.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5748 of 5752 Old 09-13-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I am experiencing a bug. I don't know if it's been reported here or not.

If I start ChromaPure with the gamut target at rec 709 and then change it to 75% of rec 709 and then exit and re enter the program, then the target points for the ACM module are shrunk to where the 100% sat points are where 75% sat should be.
This bug has been tested and verified. The ACM module should not change when the reference gamut is set to 75% of Rec. 709. Although perhaps you can appreciate how this bug would occur, because the ACM module does need to change whenever ANY OTHER gamut is selected. We are planning a release for next week and we'll include this fix. As a temporary workaround, ensure that you have set the reference gamut to Rec. 709 (or any other gamut other than 75% of Rec. 709) only while using the ACM module.
Chad B likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5749 of 5752 Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This bug has been tested and verified. The ACM module should not change when the reference gamut is set to 75% of Rec. 709. Although perhaps you can appreciate how this bug would occur, because the ACM module does need to change whenever ANY OTHER gamut is selected. We are planning a release for next week and we'll include this fix. As a temporary workaround, ensure that you have set the reference gamut to Rec. 709 (or any other gamut other than 75% of Rec. 709) only while using the ACM module.
Chad, you know I have given this some additional thought, and this is not really a bug so much as a design choice that I wanted to explain to help make it clear to myself at least. The gamut selector is sticky, so if you exit the app with 75% of Rec. 709 selected, then that's the gamut that will be active when you start the next session. This gamut being active in the subsequent session is normal. So the questions is, how should the ACM module treat this condition and what is the reason--if any--for treating the 75% of Rec. 709 gamut differently in this regard than any of the other gamuts?

The idea behind the ACM module is to carve up the reference gamut into 25% saturation segments between the gamut boundary and the white point at each of the pri/sec colors. If 75% of Rec. 709 has been selected as the reference gamut, then the gamut boundary is 25% closer to the white point. It is not obvious that this should be treated any differently than any of the other gamuts.

However, the concern is this: 75% of Rec. 709 is not a "real" gamut, so much as a pseudo-gamut that was created solely for the purpose of helping the calibrator to get better tracking throughout the full Rec. 709 color space. I guess that it makes sense that the ACM module should use only "real" gamuts. Using 75% of Rec. 709 in the ACM module ignores a segment of the actual gamut you'll be using during viewing of real program material and thus undermines--at least partially--the purpose of the module.

I hope that this makes sense.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5750 of 5752 Old 09-14-2014, 02:20 AM

Thank you very much Tom

Kai
post #5751 of 5752 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there an option to change the gamut window size in auto-cal BEFORE running 5x5x5 LUT? I used a 10% box for grayscale but it changed to a smaller box (6.5% ?) when I ran the Advance Color feature. Throws off my manual grayscale measurement.

What is the window size in auto-cal?

Last edited by Pres2play; Yesterday at 08:23 PM.
post #5752 of 5752 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there an option to change the gamut window size in auto-cal BEFORE running 5x5x5 LUT? I used a 10% box for grayscale but it changed to a smaller box (6.5% ?) when I ran the Advance Color feature. Throws off my manual grayscale measurement.

What is the window size in auto-cal?
The window size is whatever you selected in Options, Signal Generators. You can check it or change it there.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page