post #5821 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Yes, but that's not the problem. the problem is that I can not choose the reference garmut, see picture

Try Tools

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Try Tools
Thanks
post #5823 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
We have a beta available now for XP users.
http://www.chromapure.com/distribute...chromapure.zip
Any chance we may see a beta available for Mac users ?
I know this is not considered a priority with Calibration Software Developers, but it does seem to be a logical step since Ad Agencies, Photo and Art publising, most video development and editing, Publishing, News Agencies, and most Graphic orintated businesses, have now migrated to MAC's.
I'm not trying to suggest one is better than the other, just looks like a growing market for someone trying to get the edge first.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #5824 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Any chance we may see a beta available for Mac users ?
I know this is not considered a priority with Calibration Software Developers, but it does seem to be a logical step since Ad Agencies, Photo and Art publising, most video development and editing, Publishing, News Agencies, and most Graphic orintated businesses, have now migrated to MAC's.
I'm not trying to suggest one is better than the other, just looks like a growing market for someone trying to get the edge first.
The reason you've seen no Mac version is that there are no cross-platform development tools. We would have to develop two entirely separate applications.

However, your question is very timely because just yesterday Microsoft announced that their next version of Visual Studio would include the ability to build Mac as well as PC applications. If this is what it sounds like--and we won't know for sure until next year--then we should be able to build once and then output into two separate formats: one for the PC and one for OS X. Note: this would only work for those meters that had Mac drivers. This would include the X-Rite meters and any serial device.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5825 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
I do not have this option in my version 2.5.4, why?
The reason this was changed is that, previously, the 75% of Rec. 709 gamut was only available in the Color Management module. Thus, we had to have a gamut selector in that module. When we made that gamut a system option, available everywhere, there was no reason to have a separate selector in that module. You select the Reference Gamut in Options, Calibration. Rec. 709 is the default.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5826 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
The reason you've seen no Mac version is that there are no cross-platform development tools. We would have to develop two entirely separate applications.

However, your question is very timely because just yesterday Microsoft announced that their next version of Visual Studio would include the ability to build Mac as well as PC applications. If this is what it sounds like--and we won't know for sure until next year--then we should be able to build once and then output into two separate formats: one for the PC and one for OS X. Note: this would only work for those meters that had Mac drivers. This would include the X-Rite meters and any serial device.
Wow, I would certainly also be one to appreciate this.
post #5827 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Tom. It does sound promising. I was not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I don't have a clue as too what's involved. I do know that 2 Years ago we went all Mac's. The time spent on updates, virus, and malware has went to almost 0, and that's only because we have to occasionally do a update. They are just ready all the time when you are. The Windows Laptop I bought just to run your software always has to do something before it's ready work and sometimes it not a short wait.

Last edited by Glenee; 11-13-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #5828 of 5841 Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks Tom. It does sound promising. I was not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I don't have a clue as too what's involved. I do know that 2 Years ago we went all Mac's. The time spent on updates, virus, and malware has went to almost 0, and that's only because we have to occasionally do a update. They are just ready all the time when you are. The Windows Laptop I bought just to run your software always has to do something before it's ready work and sometimes it not a short wait.
I agree completely.
post #5829 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Wow, I would certainly also be one to appreciate this.
Quote:

Agreed on all counts. If/when Chromapure becomes a Mac app I will be able to rid myself of Windows forever and that would please me no end.

Geof
post #5830 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Agreed on all counts. If/when Chromapure becomes a Mac app I will be able to rid myself of Windows forever and that would please me no end.
Ditto

post #5831 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with my Windows 8.1 setup. It works tremendously well for everything I do.
post #5832 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with my Windows 8.1 setup. It works tremendously well for everything I do.
And my Windows 7 version works too. But Windows is a constant maintenance headache compared to Mac OS X (and I just recently had to reinstall it because of some virus). I'd prefer just one operating system and if given a choice a Mac version of Chromapure would be on my must have list. YYMV.

Geof
post #5833 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And my Windows 7 version works too. But Windows is a constant maintenance headache compared to Mac OS X (and I just recently had to reinstall it because of some virus). I'd prefer just one operating system and if given a choice a Mac version of Chromapure would be on my must have list. YYMV.

My Windows 8.1 is no maintenance headache in the slightest. None whatsoever. Yes, there are regular updates, but these are installed on a regular basis in the middle of the night while I sleep. Occasionally, I will check to see if the re are any optional updates I want, and if I want them, I install them. Totally painless.
post #5834 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
My Windows 8.1 is no maintenance headache in the slightest. None whatsoever. Yes, there are regular updates, but these are installed on a regular basis in the middle of the night while I sleep. Occasionally, I will check to see if the re are any optional updates I want, and if I want them, I install them. Totally painless.
Good for you but that's not my experience. However, this is not an on-topic subject and should not be debated here. The fact remains if Chromapure is released in a Mac OS X version I will jump right on it and I hope it'll work out so that Tom can do it.

Geof

Last edited by Geof; 11-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.
post #5835 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good for you but that's not my experience. However, this is not an on-topic subject and should not be debated here. The fact remains if Chromapure is released in a Mac OS X version I will jump right on it and I hope it'll work out so that Tom can do it.
Yes, but it IS my experience. I just don't want people to spread rumors that Windows 8.1 is some nightmare experience when it clearly isn't. If ChromaPure is released in a Mac version, then good for Mac people. Meanwhile, the Windows version works perfectly fine, and I have never, ever had any issues whatsoever with its functioning improperly. There are NO issues with the program running in Windows, period.

I just wanted to make that clear.
post #5836 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
same here
post #5837 of 5841 Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As you can see from the bolded part of a quote from you, YOU brought it up...not me.

Let's move on.
post #5838 of 5841 Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The Windows 8 Thing

The reason that there's been so much controversy about Windows 8/8.1 really has nothing to do with how well specific applications--such as ChromaPure--run under it. They generally run fine. The issues are two-fold.

First, for long-time Windows users version 8 rather gratuitously changed the UI in a way that eliminated established methods of working that people had become accustomed to over many years. The best example of this is removing the Start button, but there are countless other examples. The primary reason for this change was that Microsoft didn't want to miss out on the tablet/touch screen revolution, so the company designed the UI primarily around that target audience. However, the Windows core user base is business users who want large screens and like the point-and-click mouse approach. Tablet users are not generally known for working with large spreadsheets or complicated desktop publishing and web development tasks. The tablet is great for casual users for whom portability is a core value. For power users in an office environment, not so much.

Second, Windows 8 introduced a lot of extra security that can make ordinary tasks a real pain. Actually, Windows 7 did some of this as well. This is the reason why a lot of people--myself included--still think that XP was the best version of Windows.

I really hope that the announcement about Visual Studio means what it appears to mean. I really want to be able to better serve the Macintosh market. Unless we have a tool that allows us to develop once and then output into different formats, I don't think that offering both Mac and Windows versions is very likely. Independently developing two separate applications on different platforms is simply not something we have figured out how to do in a way that makes business sense.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5839 of 5841 Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed Classic Shell on my Windows PC and never looked back.
post #5840 of 5841 Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tom, is there any info that you could share on the possibility of implementing some sort of display control into the software?
post #5841 of 5841 Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post
Tom, is there any info that you could share on the possibility of implementing some sort of display control into the software?
Working on it.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page