Originally Posted by TomHuffman
If the gamma takes a nose dive at the top end--and he described it as falling completely off the chart--then that is almost certainly a symptom of a a too-high-contrast setting.
My apologies for not getting back to everyone sooner. Was on a business trip in Europe and it took my brain a couple of days to solidify back to normal after returning home.
As Tom said contrast was too high, which I sure was causing a fair amount of issues. I took readings of several gamma settings and found one that was flat and close to 2.0, with the exception of falling nearly off the chart at the top end. I then reduced the contrast setting to -10 and this brought the top end more in line with everything else. Adjusted WB @ 20 and 80%. 100% was .7-.8 de off 80, so I left it alone.
Set to 70% of REC.709, 2.22 gamma, 125pt color for auto calibration off the screen.
Got a good calibration out of it and had to manually touch-up 10% grey (red too high). Was getting some funky readings off the meter and later realized I forgot to turn off the Darbee in my 2041 after all was said and done. I had spaced Tom’s earlier post of un-install Chromapure, fix .net and re-install Chromapure. My brain is still not back to 100%..... ummmm…. I’m not sure it’s ever 100%....
I stopped using the DI a while ago since it seems to have become a little buggy and do run “Grad Priority” which works great at pulling out shadow details without having to raise Brightness.
Things look a lot better now and I will see how stable it stays. Perhaps some evening when I’m bored, I’ll zero everything out and try again. Hopefully this time remember to turn off the Darbee and use a fresh install of CP.
Thanks everyone! This “hobby” is a never ending and sometimes frustrating learning experience. The reward for me is when friends and family come over for a movie and are blown away by the experience.
Looking forward to seeing what CP 3.0 has in store!