The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 206 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes
post #6151 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Tom, I've been thinking: what is the black level reading on display like this? Is it really lower than that of a plasma? I've read certain Kuro models can go down to 0.001 cd/m2.
My 'Tweaked' KURO goes down to 0.0007 cdm/2.
maximus74 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I would expect this kind of performance from a pro like you Ted Wish I had your knowledge!
post #6153 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am about to purchase one of the ChromaPure packages and I have a question about the Auto Calibration option. I apologize if this has been answered in this thread, but it is a large thread.

With Auto Calibration and a Lumagen video processor, are the video corrections implemented in the Lumagen, or the connected display? With manual mode I would definitely be making adjustments to the display controls, which seems to be the best option. What happens during an Auto Calibration using a Lumagen Video processor? Just trying to determine if I can calibrate multiple displays in auto mode by bringing a Lumagen Radiance with me to different sites?

Thanks in advance

John Dixon
post #6154 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM

I am about to purchase one of the ChromaPure packages and I have a question about the Auto Calibration option. I apologize if this has been answered in this thread, but it is a large thread.

With Auto Calibration and a Lumagen video processor, are the video corrections implemented in the Lumagen, or the connected display? With manual mode I would definitely be making adjustments to the display controls, which seems to be the best option. What happens during an Auto Calibration using a Lumagen Video processor? Just trying to determine if I can calibrate multiple displays in auto mode by bringing a Lumagen Radiance with me to different sites?

Thanks in advance

John Dixon
post #6155 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post

Thanks in advance
The adjustments are made in the Radiance processor, not in the display. The Radiance must remain connected to that display to take advantage of the calibration.
post #6156 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
The adjustments are made in the Radiance processor, not in the display. The Radiance must remain connected to that display to take advantage of the calibration.
Yeah, you are not calibrating the display, instead you are calibrating the signal as it goes into the TV which is a complaint I have with calling it "auto calibration".
post #6157 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post
Yeah, you are not calibrating the display, instead you are calibrating the signal as it goes into the TV which is a complaint I have with calling it "auto calibration".
The end result is the same. The color calibration controls in the display do the same kinds of things that the Radiance does, though usually in an inferior or less flexible manner.

Why does it matter that there's an extra HDMI cable in the middle?
post #6158 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The end result is the same. The color calibration controls in the display do the same kinds of things that the Radiance does, though usually in an inferior or less flexible manner.

Why does it matter that there's an extra HDMI cable in the middle?
Because you are NOT calibrating the display and if you pull the third party box off, then you're left with an uncalibrated display. Call it that same if you want, but to me, it is not the same.

Oh, and that third party box costs $$$$$.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this point.
post #6159 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post
Because you are NOT calibrating the display and if you pull the third party box off, then you're left with an uncalibrated display. Call it that same if you want, but to me, it is not the same.

Oh, and that third party box costs $$$$$.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this point.
How about we call it "auto display-chain calibration"?
post #6160 of 6170 Old 01-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
How about we call it "auto display-chain calibration"?
That'll work!
post #6161 of 6170 Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
some wishes for the next CP version:

- Be able to autocal for endusers who do not have Lumagen or DVDO units (just HTPC with 3rd party software to deal with lut files).
- Be able to generate/export LUT file for 3rd party software (useful for MadVr for example).

Last edited by Sound&Life; Yesterday at 04:56 AM.
post #6162 of 6170 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

OK, Thanks Guys. This is pretty much what I thought, just wanted to confirm. Could not really see how the Lumagen would be making changes to the display parameters. Is that level of projector control typically available via The RS-232 port? I would think the projector manufacturing process would use some form of auto calibration via the service menu, but if so, ChromaPure would need a separate interpretive file for each projector. Probably cheaper for everyone to buy a Lumagen.

Thanks Again

John Dixon
post #6163 of 6170 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post
OK, Thanks Guys. This is pretty much what I thought, just wanted to confirm. Could not really see how the Lumagen would be making changes to the display parameters. Is that level of projector control typically available via The RS-232 port? I would think the projector manufacturing process would use some form of auto calibration via the service menu, but if so, ChromaPure would need a separate interpretive file for each projector. Probably cheaper for everyone to buy a Lumagen.

Thanks Again
Some projectors support autocal (though not with Chromapure) but I've never heard of a consumer pj with a 3D LUT like the Radiance supports.
post #6164 of 6170 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The other problem with device calibration is that in a lot if not most displays, the calibration controls simply don't work!
post #6165 of 6170 Unread Today, 12:09 AM

Liked: 34
I never thought about it as being the display that is calibrated. It is the image that is calibrated. To do that you need tools, and if those on the display are lacking you can add an external processor.
post #6166 of 6170 Unread Today, 07:42 AM

Liked: 15
Anyone know how long from paying with paypal till you get your license when buying from curt?
post #6167 of 6170 Unread Today, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

How did you test luminance? Which checkerboard pattern?
post #6168 of 6170 Unread Today, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I did a 125 point cube cal on a Radiance XD today, and for the most part the results were excellent. However, when I took a 5% step grayscale run, I saw 5% peaked up in gamma and had a dE of 23 or so. I investigated and saw that CP had adjusted each increment of the 12 point adjustment except the 5% step (and black, which I wouldn't want adjusted anyway). I tested to make sure I was getting stable and repeatable readings from my meter, which I was, and just adjusted 5% manually. I was easily able to get the gamma flat and dE around 3.

Is it normal for the latest version of CP to skip the 5% band? If it is intentional, why choose the 12 step instead of the 11 step in the Radiance?

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Copied settings measured, LG OLED calibration tips, Review index and rankings, Los Angeles tour Feb 19-23, Texas tour mid March
post #6169 of 6170 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I did a 125 point cube cal on a Radiance XD today, and for the most part the results were excellent. However, when I took a 5% step grayscale run, I saw 5% peaked up in gamma and had a dE of 23 or so. I investigated and saw that CP had adjusted each increment of the 12 point adjustment except the 5% step (and black, which I wouldn't want adjusted anyway). I tested to make sure I was getting stable and repeatable readings from my meter, which I was, and just adjusted 5% manually. I was easily able to get the gamma flat and dE around 3.

Is it normal for the latest version of CP to skip the 5% band? If it is intentional, why choose the 12 step instead of the 11 step in the Radiance?
Yes, this is working as designed. I did not include the 5% point in auto-cal simply because I think that the light level is so low that it is better to address it with careful manual adjustment. So, why do we use the 12-point mode? Simply because I wanted the signal generator toolbar to work in that mode after auto-cal was finished so the manual adjustment at 5% could be made using that tool.

BTW, of the 12 points, auto-cal does not adjust 0% (no adjustment at all), 5% (manual adjustment), and 100% (should be pre-adjusted at the display level).

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6170 of 6170 Unread Today, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
My untweaked Kuro went down to 0.0012 cd/m2.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page