The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 217 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 137Likes

post #6481 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
First, it is not necessary that a display has a 10 (or 20 point) Gamma Adjustment for BT 1889. If you only have RGB controls, Green has the largest impact on Luminance, so, for a given point, adjust G to bring the point to the proper Luminance, then tweak Red & Blue to restore balance. The ChromaPure gamma screen makes this easy.
Yes, I have used this technique many times, especially on Samsungs. BTW, this has nothing to do with BT.1886 per se. It is a valid technique for any gamma target.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tom,

Does your software include some "wizardry" that will enable one to calibrate a LG OLED with agressive ABL on auto mode with a lumagen? It seems like many are saying its not possible to do autocalibration on the LG OLED as it will drop light output after seeing the same patterns for a while. I am exploring my options on calibration.

Thanks
post #6483 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
Does your software include some "wizardry" that will enable one to calibrate a LG OLED with agressive ABL on auto mode with a lumagen? It seems like many are saying its not possible to do autocalibration on the LG OLED as it will drop light output after seeing the same patterns for a while. I am exploring my options on calibration.
I have an LG OLED and I have not seen this behavior. It will start gradually dropping light output if you leave the same test pattern on the screen, but if the test pattern changes (as it does with auto-cal) this doesn't occur. I have some clear data on this.

Can you point me to a discussion of this?

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6484 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I have an LG OLED and I have not seen this behavior. It will start gradually dropping light output if you leave the same test pattern on the screen, but if the test pattern changes (as it does with auto-cal) this doesn't occur. I have some clear data on this.

Can you point me to a discussion of this?

Do you have the 9300 or the older one? Chad B seems to confirm this and another user here seem to suggest the same.

http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...hp?f=94&t=5689

See post 263 and 264 for Chad B saying this as well.

Calibration Anomaly on Newest of the New LG OLED!

I cannot find it now but it seems like folks at a UK forum is also saying the same thing. Most ended up doing manual adjustments.

I am getting my display delivered tomorrow. It just seems a waste to not be able to do autocal on these units. Not that its the fault of the calibration software makers.
post #6485 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
Do you have the 9300 or the older one? Chad B seems to confirm this and another user here seem to suggest the same.

http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...hp?f=94&t=5689

See post 263 and 264 for Chad B saying this as well.

I cannot find it now but it seems like folks at a UK forum is also saying the same thing. Most ended up doing manual adjustments.

I am getting my display delivered tomorrow. It just seems a waste to not be able to do autocal on these units. Not that its the fault of the calibration software makers.
I have the EA9800.

I just ran a 125-point auto-cal and the starting value for 100% was 96.53 and the ending value was 95.52, which is a negligible difference. I see no problem with changing luminance in an auto-cal sequence in which the pattern color and intensity is constantly changing.

I just read Chad's post

He says he was disappointed with the results and seems to assume that the fault with with ABL. I don't think it was. The numbers I see show that the patch intensity remains essentially the same throughout the process. However, I have also verified that, after about a minute, the same patch will start to decline in luminance. This is easy to test.
1. Put up a white test pattern and note the luminance.
2. Start cycling between pri/sec colors, changing about every 5 seconds.
3. After a couple of minutes of this measure white luminance again.

Now, compare this with a before/after measurement of white luminance when the test pattern remains fixed. I find that in the first case white changes very little, if at all. In the second case it charges substantially.

I have seen cases where auto-cal didn't improve the image in any substantial way with this display, but that was only because it was quite good to begin with

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6486 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the EA9800.

I just ran a 125-point auto-cal and the starting value for 100% was 96.53 and the ending value was 95.52, which is a negligible difference. I see no problem with changing luminance in an auto-cal sequence in which the pattern color and intensity is constantly changing.

I just read Chad's post

He says he was disappointed with the results and seems to assume that the fault with with ABL. I don't think it was. The numbers I see show that the patch intensity remains essentially the same throughout the process. However, I have also verified that, after about a minute, the same patch will start to decline in luminance. This is easy to test.
1. Put up a white test pattern and note the luminance.
2. Start cycling between pri/sec colors, changing about every 5 seconds.
3. After a couple of minutes of this measure white luminance again.

Now, compare this with a before/after measurement of white luminance when the test pattern remains fixed. I find that in the first case white changes very little, if at all. In the second case it charges substantially.

I have seen cases where auto-cal didn't improve the image in any substantial way with this display, but that was only because it was quite good to begin with
I think this aggressive ABL came about in the 9300 2nd gen series onwards. Chad also said somewhere else that as long as the size stays the same, the different colors and luminance changes is still taken as a static pattern and LG will start to reduce luminance of that window after mins. this was done to reduce the chance of burnin or retention as it seems the 1st gen OLED could be prone to with static display. So much that chad says he tried to use the pause button? every 30 secs to prevent the agressive ABL from kicking in and it did not work. I guess I will know in the coming days.
post #6487 of 6499 Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yes, I have used this technique many times, especially on Samsungs. BTW, this has nothing to do with BT.1886 per se. It is a valid technique for any gamma target.
Hi Tom. Being a Chromapure user, I have my set calibrated using gamma @ 2.22. I can't do any other gamma as the Chromapure's advanced colour section only expects the gamma @ 2.22. It might not seem like much, but my ColourChecker results go from an average dE of about 0.7 to dE of about 3.5 when I switch from 2.22 to 2.4. I'm anxiously waiting for the new version of Chromapure to come out!
post #6488 of 6499 Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
Hi Tom. Being a Chromapure user, I have my set calibrated using gamma @ 2.22. I can't do any other gamma as the Chromapure's advanced colour section only expects the gamma @ 2.22. It might not seem like much, but my ColourChecker results go from an average dE of about 0.7 to dE of about 3.5 when I switch from 2.22 to 2.4. I'm anxiously waiting for the new version of Chromapure to come out!
It's coming. . . .

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6489 of 6499 Old 05-20-2015, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Tom,

The new ChromaPure V3 will have a redesigned post calibration report that will include full CMS saturation chart and color checker report?
I would love to know when "It's coming"

Regards
post #6490 of 6499 Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
The new ChromaPure V3 will have a redesigned post calibration report that will include full CMS saturation chart and color checker report?
I would love to know when "It's coming"
Yes, it will.
I have been mistaken about when we will be ready for release a couple of times now, so I won't repeat the mistake. As soon as it is ready, I assume sometime this summer is the best I can do.
anta1974 likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6491 of 6499 Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Yes, it will.
I have been mistaken about when we will be ready for release a couple of times now, so I won't repeat the mistake. As soon as it is ready, I assume sometime this summer is the best I can do.
That a Boy. Get it right.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #6492 of 6499 Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Happy chromapure user here.
I plan to purchase the advanced autocal upgrade, since I just bought a used Radiance XS-3D for my setup.

Question: I might upgrade chrompure to its newer version soon...will my advanced autocal license be transferrable (at no cost) into the new chromapure, or will the new chromapure require me to purchase a new autocal license?

Thanks!

Stef
post #6493 of 6499 Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I plan to purchase the advanced autocal upgrade, since I just bought a used Radiance XS-3D for my setup.

Question: I might upgrade chrompure to its newer version soon...will my advanced autocal license be transferrable (at no cost) into the new chromapure, or will the new chromapure require me to purchase a new autocal license?!
Any auto-cal license purchased for a 2.x version of ChromaPure will transfer to v 3 when it becomes available.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6494 of 6499 Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Happy chromapure user here.

Question: I might upgrade chrompure to its newer version soon...will my advanced autocal license be transferrable (at no cost) into the new chromapure, or will the new chromapure require me to purchase a new autocal license?

Thanks!
I purchases a Lumagen and Chromapure advanced auto cal (and the i3 pro) and it works incredibly well and fast. I got everything set up about 10 days ago and have done 6-8 calibration sessions, primarily to learn the software better and try different gammas. Right now I'm using a 125 LUT with BT 1886 gamma. I went from 95% dE's poor, to 5% poor and over 50% excellent. Color checker had about half of dE below 1 and the other half between 1 & 2. Only one was above 2.

Best upgrade I've made to my theater. I have an Epson 5010 using Dynamic mode (which is probably the worst mode for color accuracy, but is the brightest).

Last edited by Knd; 05-27-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo
post #6495 of 6499 Old 05-28-2015, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
I purchases a Lumagen and Chromapure advanced auto cal (and the i3 pro) and it works incredibly well and fast. I got everything set up about 10 days ago and have done 6-8 calibration sessions, primarily to learn the software better and try different gammas. Right now I'm using a 125 LUT with BT 1886 gamma. I went from 95% dE's poor, to 5% poor and over 50% excellent. Color checker had about half of dE below 1 and the other half between 1 & 2. Only one was above 2.

Best upgrade I've made to my theater. I have an Epson 5010 using Dynamic mode (which is probably the worst mode for color accuracy, but is the brightest).
Thank you for the comment. I can't wait to try the advanced autocal feature!

Stef
post #6496 of 6499 Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

I am trying autocal for the first time tonight, with my Lumagen XS-3D.

I played around a little bit, and finally ended up with a very satisfying grayscale.

Now, I am afraid to lose the work I've done...

How can I save that grayscale data in the Lumagen? I know there is the save option in the Lumagen menu, but how do I chose in what slot my data is going to be saved?

Also, it is difficult for me to understand the different reset options for the Lumagen in the Chromapure menu. Lets say I want to reload that grayscale data, and then, only (re)calibrate the colors, what should I do?

I thought I understood all of that while reading this thread, but now that I am actually trying to do it, I cant seem to find out how...

Stef
post #6497 of 6499 Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am trying autocal for the first time tonight, with my Lumagen XS-3D.

I played around a little bit, and finally ended up with a very satisfying grayscale.

Now, I am afraid to lose the work I've done...

How can I save that grayscale data in the Lumagen? I know there is the save option in the Lumagen menu, but how do I chose in what slot my data is going to be saved?

Also, it is difficult for me to understand the different reset options for the Lumagen in the Chromapure menu. Lets say I want to reload that grayscale data, and then, only (re)calibrate the colors, what should I do?

I thought I understood all of that while reading this thread, but now that I am actually trying to do it, I cant seem to find out how...
The data saves to the Lumagen automatically at the end of the auto-cal routine. It saves to whatever configuration is active.
To reload the grayscale, you would need Lumagen's configuration utility. Save the data on your PC as a file, and then you can restore later.
If you just want to recalibrate color and leave grayscale alone, then select the reset color only option and then uncheck the grayscale calibration option.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6498 of 6499 Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you! great support, as always.

Stef
post #6499 of 6499 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi Tom,
Anything we need to be aware of with the Windows 10 Update looming on the Horizon, other than Don't Update.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration