The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 154Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6601 of 6619 Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Member
 
subliminac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
A much higher amount of light gets into the meter, which allows it to spend more time in its ideal operating range.

I think I undersold the results in my previous post. I'm flat out shocked by the difference I'm seeing. The image went from borderline unwatchable to deeply immersive and pleasing. In the few movies I demoed all the shades of gray seemed perfectly rendered. I saw practically nothing in the way of uniformity errors.

If these kind of results are here to stay I will remain a very happy viewer.
subliminac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6602 of 6619 Old 06-25-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
I think I undersold the results in my previous post. I'm flat out shocked by the difference I'm seeing. The image went from borderline unwatchable to deeply immersive and pleasing. In the few movies I demoed all the shades of gray seemed perfectly rendered. I saw practically nothing in the way of uniformity errors.

If these kind of results are here to stay I will remain a very happy viewer.
You weren't by any case using the meter's diffuser when facing the screen? I might expect some improvement when correctly doing a lens calibration. I wouldn't expect the kind of dramatic night-and-day difference that you describe. I am suspicious that something else was going on.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6603 of 6619 Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Member
 
subliminac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Official ChromaPure thread

No the diffuser wasn't covering the meter previously. As I said before, color films always looked fine. It was with B&W films where I was the most disappointed, where grayscale inaccuracies and uniformity issues would be the most prominent. In this case a subtle shift could make a big difference. Whatever I did seemed to take away the red tint. The end result isn't as good as what a DLP projector would produce (since there should be no alignment issues) but it is very watchable and frequently stunning.

Any chance not having whiter than white set properly could have contributed to the problem? I know I made an adjustment which made the bars visible where they weren't before. I believe I also plugged in the 100% and 0% luminance values when setting up the software before dialing in the grayscale. Could that have helped? The only other thing I did differently was take my readings directly off the projector. Everything else was the same.

Last edited by subliminac; 06-27-2015 at 03:57 AM.
subliminac is offline  
post #6604 of 6619 Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Maybe the meter wasn't placed properly when you measured from the screen. Did you put up a 100% white pattern and ensure the meter was level and positioned properly in order to maximize the fL reading? You could have been picking up some of the meter's shadow.
Kilgore is online now  
post #6605 of 6619 Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Member
 
subliminac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Maybe the meter wasn't placed properly when you measured from the screen. Did you put up a 100% white pattern and ensure the meter was level and positioned properly in order to maximize the fL reading? You could have been picking up some of the meter's shadow.

No it was properly positioned.
subliminac is offline  
post #6606 of 6619 Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
Any chance not having whiter than white set properly could have contributed to the problem? I know I made an adjustment which made the bars visible where they weren't before. I believe I also plugged in the 100% and 0% luminance values when setting up the software before dialing in the grayscale. Could that have helped? The only other thing I did differently was take my readings directly off the projector. Everything else was the same.
Sure. If your contrast setting resulted in not being able to see some of the bars in the white PLUGE test pattern, then that means that contrast was set too high. Lowering contrast would reveal those bars and end the white crush. The other issue is irrelevant. That is just for calculating BT.1886 gamma.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6607 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 01:01 AM
Member
 
Toadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi all,

Please can I request some guidance on my calibration. There's a couple of points I want to raise, and I'm hoping someone can chime in with some thoughts.

This is a gamma 2.22 / Rec .709 / 120 cd/m2 calibration, using a Samsung HU9000 LED TV with a i1D3 Pro w/ corrections from Tom. No issues with greyscale at all. When it comes to colour, I always have a luminance / saturation issue with Dark Skin and Light Skin, which seems to dictate inaccurate skin tones.

Please allow me to try an explain one anomaly which I can't quite understand. If I try to calibrate with a higher gamma figure such as 2.4, I get huge luminance errors on all of the ColourChecker colours. If I try to dial them out by increasing the luminance of the colours in the CMS, it starts to bring all the saturation points (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) of said colour closer together. So, as an example, a 25% saturation pattern of red would appear nearer 35% in the CIE chart.75% saturation pattern would appear nearer 60% and a 100% pattern would be nearer 85%. If it helps, look at the Moderate Red and Red plots on the CIE. They line up well. If this were a 2.4 gamma calibration, they would be close to touching each other.

I've attached some pictures. Please ignore the Pre-ColourChecker figures and only note the Post details. I've also added a picture of Luminance results when targeting Gamma @ 2.4. Can anyone offer some insight please? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	33
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	804018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	804026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	804034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	804042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	804050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	804058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	804066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture6.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	804074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture7.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	804082  
Toadus is offline  
post #6608 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
Hi all,

Please can I request some guidance on my calibration. There's a couple of points I want to raise, and I'm hoping someone can chime in with some thoughts.

This is a gamma 2.22 / Rec .709 / 120 cd/m2 calibration, using a Samsung HU9000 LED TV with a i1D3 Pro w/ corrections from Tom. No issues with greyscale at all. When it comes to colour, I always have a luminance / saturation issue with Dark Skin and Light Skin, which seems to dictate inaccurate skin tones.

Please allow me to try an explain one anomaly which I can't quite understand. If I try to calibrate with a higher gamma figure such as 2.4, I get huge luminance errors on all of the ColourChecker colours. If I try to dial them out by increasing the luminance of the colours in the CMS, it starts to bring all the saturation points (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) of said colour closer together. So, as an example, a 25% saturation pattern of red would appear nearer 35% in the CIE chart.75% saturation pattern would appear nearer 60% and a 100% pattern would be nearer 85%. If it helps, look at the Moderate Red and Red plots on the CIE. They line up well. If this were a 2.4 gamma calibration, they would be close to touching each other.

I've attached some pictures. Please ignore the Pre-ColourChecker figures and only note the Post details. I've also added a picture of Luminance results when targeting Gamma @ 2.4. Can anyone offer some insight please? Thanks!
I guess I don't understand. Your average CIE94 error for skin tones is 1.2. That's really all you need to concern yourself with and that's a very good number. Even the luminance error is just 7.6%. Anything +- 5% for luminance is fine, so you are off that just a little.
Toadus likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6609 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Toadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I guess I don't understand. Your average CIE94 error for skin tones is 1.2. That's really all you need to concern yourself with and that's a very good number. Even the luminance error is just 7.6%. Anything +- 5% for luminance is fine, so you are off that just a little.
Thanks for the reply Tom.

I'm trying to increase my knowledge so I can get better at what I'm doing. Settling for good results is fine, but I would like to understand more. I touched upon calibrating with gamma @ 2.4. I can't get accurate colours with this and was hoping I could learn more to try and resolve it. As my current understanding goes, I can't see any reason as to why I get poor results with gamma higher than 2.22.
Toadus is offline  
post #6610 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
Thanks for the reply Tom.

I'm trying to increase my knowledge so I can get better at what I'm doing. Settling for good results is fine, but I would like to understand more. I touched upon calibrating with gamma @ 2.4. I can't get accurate colours with this and was hoping I could learn more to try and resolve it. As my current understanding goes, I can't see any reason as to why I get poor results with gamma higher than 2.22.
First, if you are getting poor results with 2.4, then you should post screen shots showing this. I can only comment on the screenshots you did post and they didn't show any issues.

Second, I don't know what calibration tools you have available to you. If all you have is what the Samsung provides, it may be that the Samsung's calibration tools simply do not provide the needed adjustments to get to the gamma you have targeted. All CP does is measure the results. You have to make the adjustments yourself with the tools you have available.

Third, to precisely dial in performance with the precision you seem to be aiming for, you should consider a dedicated calibration instrument, such as a Lumagen video processor. The calibration adjustments within displays are often somewhat crude and not very flexible.
Toadus likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6611 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 AM
Member
 
Toadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
First, if you are getting poor results with 2.4, then you should post screen shots showing this. I can only comment on the screenshots you did post and they didn't show any issues.

Second, I don't know what calibration tools you have available to you. If all you have is what the Samsung provides, it may be that the Samsung's calibration tools simply do not provide the needed adjustments to get to the gamma you have targeted. All CP does is measure the results. You have to make the adjustments yourself with the tools you have available.

Third, to precisely dial in performance with the precision you seem to be aiming for, you should consider a dedicated calibration instrument, such as a Lumagen video processor. The calibration adjustments within displays are often somewhat crude and not very flexible.
Thanks again for your reply.

I posted just one screen shot of the ColourChecker results with gamma @ 2.4. It's the last one in the list, please take a look at my previous post. Luminance is low throughout, and if I try to correct the luminance, it starts to bring the saturation points closer together, so I can't win either way. I.e., a 75% saturation test pattern will read under-saturated and a 25% saturation test pattern will read over-saturated.

The Samsung has a decent and comprehensive CMS, but it doesn't work in a linear fashion unfortunately. But this doesn't explain to me why it wouldn't calibrate well at a gamma setting above 2.22. Leads me to think it's more my lack of knowledge..

Agreed, a Lumagen would be ideal, but just trying to get the best out of what I've got for the time being.
Toadus is offline  
post #6612 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
I posted just one screen shot of the ColourChecker results with gamma @ 2.4. It's the last one in the list, please take a look at my previous post. Luminance is low throughout, and if I try to correct the luminance, it starts to bring the saturation points closer together, so I can't win either way. I.e., a 75% saturation test pattern will read under-saturated and a 25% saturation test pattern will read over-saturated.
Yes, that's the one I referred to that was off by 7.6%. That is just not that bad. In any case, the dE figure is what you should focus on rather than a single component. BTW, you can raise color luminance often by raising the main color conrol a few ticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadus View Post
The Samsung has a decent and comprehensive CMS, but it doesn't work in a linear fashion unfortunately. But this doesn't explain to me why it wouldn't calibrate well at a gamma setting above 2.22. Leads me to think it's more my lack of knowledge.
I wouldn't assume that. It could very well be that this is how the Samsung was engineered. BTW, you can use the G control in the 10-pt grayscale for multi-point gamma adjustment. Just be sure to use the R and B controls afterwards to restore white balance.

2.4 gamma throughout will not look good and will provide poor shadow detail. Try BT.1886 instead. Either that or a flat 2.22 power law would be preferable to a 2.4 power law.
Toadus likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6613 of 6619 Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Toadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Yes, that's the one I referred to that was off by 7.6%. That is just not that bad. In any case, the dE figure is what you should focus on rather than a single component. BTW, you can raise color luminance often by raising the main color conrol a few ticks.

I wouldn't assume that. It could very well be that this is how the Samsung was engineered. BTW, you can use the G control in the 10-pt grayscale for multi-point gamma adjustment. Just be sure to use the R and B controls afterwards to restore white balance.

2.4 gamma throughout will not look good and will provide poor shadow detail. Try BT.1886 instead. Either that or a flat 2.22 power law would be preferable to a 2.4 power law.
Thanks again Tom.

Yes, I'm happy with gamma at 2.22. I wanted to give myself some side by side examples with other gamma targets, but thought it was unfair if the colour was off in one of the examples though.

Yes, I've been using that trick to dial in the gamma really accurately. If you notice in the attachment above, the greyscale is near perfect with a very flat gamma output

I do wish, however, the Samsung had a 5% WB adjustment. Even at 10% IRE, I have to almost max out the adjustments to get an accurate read. If I take a 5% read (even though I can't adjust it) it shows way too much blue, and that's even with the 2pt setting configured to take loads of blue out...
Toadus is offline  
post #6614 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using Color checker Reports

Tom:

I am using Chromapure Standard and i1pro calibrated by you. I am calibrating my LG OLED 55EA8800 Display.

I am a newbe at this stuff. I've been trying to generate a report after running pre and post color checker. I keep getting an error message re a missing excel spreadsheet. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to create an Excel spreadsheet?

Please advise.

Thanks
Soundmann2 is offline  
post #6615 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmann2 View Post
Tom:

I am using Chromapure Standard and i1pro calibrated by you. I am calibrating my LG OLED 55EA8800 Display.

I am a newbe at this stuff. I've been trying to generate a report after running pre and post color checker. I keep getting an error message re a missing excel spreadsheet. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to create an Excel spreadsheet?
See our Support page
http://www.chromapure.com/support.asp
for a fix for this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6616 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tom:

Thanks for quick response. I am running windows 7 64bit. At chromapure website I tried clicking on "zip this file" url and it takes me 404 page not found error.

please advise
Soundmann2 is offline  
post #6617 of 6619 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmann2 View Post
Tom:

Thanks for quick response. I am running windows 7 64bit. At chromapure website I tried clicking on "zip this file" url and it takes me 404 page not found error.

please advise
Try again.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
post #6618 of 6619 Unread Today, 10:56 AM
Knd
Advanced Member
 
Knd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
3.0

Tom,
Any update on 3.0? How's the testing going?
Plutotype likes this.
Knd is online now  
post #6619 of 6619 Unread Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Tom, kind of far reaching question...

Presuming that a reasonably large percentage of people using Chromapure are likely using a Lumagen or DVDO processor, (since most displays and projectors have little or no usable calibration controls), what's your perception of how the calibration market changes with 4k? It seems the first Lumagen processor that support 4k in will be astronomically priced. I for one will not be acquiring one even at beta pricing....it's just not worth it. I haven't heard DVDO plans...

This obviously affects ChromaPure long term...do you think display and projector companies will finally start adding well designed internal controls, or might DVDO or someone else come out with a more sensibly priced unit sooner than later?

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
thrang is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off