The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #6661 of 6681 Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
100% is 19 cd/m2 and I'm unable to read 0.
Place the meter close enough to the lens to get about 500 with the diffuser in place, then measure. What are the black and white readings? Contrast should be between 20,000-50,000.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6681 Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Place the meter close enough to the lens to get about 500 with the diffuser in place, then measure. What are the black and white readings? Contrast should be between 20,000-50,000.

Have company visiting currently so had to put down the equipment. I do recall, though, that I got higher readings as I moved the sensor farther away from the lens. I got as close as about 8 inches but no closer.
post #6663 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I am having a peculiar problem with my Display 3 Pro when trying to calibrate my Sony TV. Am sure it's something really simple but I have tried everything and still no success. When I try to initialize the Meter, I get the attached message. I have done this before and everything worked fine, so not sure why it's a problem now. What's more peculiar is when I calibrate my Projector using my Lumagen and Autocal, everything works fine, using the same port. I am trying to manually calibrate my TV so no Lumagen in the chain. Any suggestions to get things working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Display3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	850338  
post #6664 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I am having a peculiar problem with my Display 3 Pro when trying to calibrate my Sony TV. Am sure it's something really simple but I have tried everything and still no success. When I try to initialize the Meter, I get the attached message. I have done this before and everything worked fine, so not sure why it's a problem now. What's more peculiar is when I calibrate my Projector using my Lumagen and Autocal, everything works fine, using the same port. I am trying to manually calibrate my TV so no Lumagen in the chain. Any suggestions to get things working?
This is not a Display 3 PRO issue. This is a Lumagen issue.
Close CP.
Delete the configuration file
C:\ProgramData\Display Calibrations LLC\ChromaPure\2\ChromaPure.config
Restart CP.
Setup the Lumagen from scratch using the attached instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Setup-Lumagen.pdf (64.2 KB, 26 views)

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6665 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
This is not a Display 3 PRO issue. This is a Lumagen issue.
Tom, I don't understand this. "Unhandled exception" refers to a bug in a program running on the PC. Is atabea running some Lumagen software on his PC that is causing this?
post #6666 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Tom, I will try what you recomend. I kinda mistated what was/is going on: My Display3 initializes fine!!. It's when I try to measure anything that the "message" pops up. This only happens when the Lumagen is not in the Chain. As soon as I plug in the Lumagen in another port the message no longer appears and everything works fine.
post #6667 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
Thanks, Tom, I will try what you recomend. I kinda mistated what was/is going on: My Display3 initializes fine!!. It's when I try to measure anything that the "message" pops up. This only happens when the Lumagen is not in the Chain. As soon as I plug in the Lumagen in another port the message no longer appears and everything works fine.
That simply means that the application is expecting a signal generator attached to Com 3 and none is there. When using CP WITHOUT the Lumagen, be sure to uncheck "Enable Signal Generator Support" in Options, Signal Generators. Check this again when the Lumagen is connected.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6668 of 6681 Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That simply means that the application is expecting a signal generator attached to Com 3 and none is there. When using CP WITHOUT the Lumagen, be sure to uncheck "Enable Signal Generator Support" in Options, Signal Generators. Check this again when the Lumagen is connected.
Tom, You are a genius! Works great now---after I unchecked enable signal generator. Thank you very much!!!.
post #6669 of 6681 Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Meter Profile

If I profile my I1D3 with my I1Pro 2 and I close out the calibration and I reopen it do I have to reprofile my I1D3? I've had Chromapure crash on me before and I have to reopen it to continue. Do I have to reprofile then?

Thanks
hollisavrct
post #6670 of 6681 Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisavrct View Post
If I profile my I1D3 with my I1Pro 2 and I close out the calibration and I reopen it do I have to reprofile my I1D3? I've had Chromapure crash on me before and I have to reopen it to continue. Do I have to reprofile then?

Thanks
hollisavrct
Once you finish profiling your i1D3, click Save under Tools and save a calx file. You can then subsequently load that calx file to retrieve your profile. Just click Apply in the Meter Correction module.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6671 of 6681 Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Total noobie here, I'm looking at Chromapure standard and a meter, do I need a tripod. I've got the Samsung f8500 plasma.
post #6672 of 6681 Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWheels View Post
Total noobie here, I'm looking at Chromapure standard and a meter, do I need a tripod. I've got the Samsung f8500 plasma.
You don't NEED one. The meter can be hung on the plasma much like you would with a desktop PC monitor. However, tripods are cheap--you can get a decent one for $20-- and it is a good idea.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6673 of 6681 Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
I use the I1d3 in contact mode on my F8500 no issues with even some very long 3dlut sessions.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
post #6674 of 6681 Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Once you finish profiling your i1D3, click Save under Tools and save a calx file. You can then subsequently load that calx file to retrieve your profile. Just click Apply in the Meter Correction module.
Tom I reopened the file and went to the meter profile tab and found that everything was filled in. i assume this is what you are talking about. Also I have the option set to save every 2 minutes and if the program crashes will that save the profile also?

Thanks
hollisavrct
post #6675 of 6681 Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I have that exact TV and I use a tripod where I can move the meter ever so slightly off screen. I think it does a better job( more consistant readings from start to finish) that way on Plasma's.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #6676 of 6681 Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisavrct View Post
Tom I reopened the file and went to the meter profile tab and found that everything was filled in. i assume this is what you are talking about. Also I have the option set to save every 2 minutes and if the program crashes will that save the profile also?
Yes, but since you already have the calx file saved, this doesn't add anything.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6677 of 6681 Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I have that exact TV and I use a tripod where I can move the meter ever so slightly off screen. I think it does a better job( more consistant readings from start to finish) that way on Plasma's.
I agree. A tripod, though not essential, is a very good idea. It helps to isolate the meter from the heat of the plasma screen.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6678 of 6681 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Correct, avoid contact measurements for Plasma, If you see check any pattern closely to your plasma you will see that the dots/pixels are jumping around (changing from stable to an unstable state)... if you use the meter in contact mode, the meter detects that and it will give you unstable readings.

By taking contact measurements with Plasma, the sensor placement is very sensitive because of the plasma pixel pitch (gap between sub-pixels) which makes sometimes your meter reading more difficult, unstable.

For example by using the i1PRO1/2 for plasma in contact mode the aperture size for spot measurements is 4.5mm only, if you make the calculations to the pixels that the meter is seeing to this area in 1080p display are only a few pixels, count also the gap between each subpixel (pixel pitch), you probably measuring about 15-20 pixels only (It has to do with screen size and pixel pitch), you will not have perfect repeatability since the meter will detect more the pixel's PWM noise, but this can be improved if you take non-contact measurements, there some published documents that suggesting to measure about 100 pixels minimum for display calibration.

SMPTE recommends to take readings from the viewing position, but that's is not possible for the consumer probes, you need an instrument with ~2.0° field of view.

A high-end spectro with a viewing optics (like PhotoResearch or Minolta) or with laser aiming (like JETI) with narrow viewing angle for this job.

As you can see from the following Chart (created by <^..^>Smokey Joe), the JETI (1.8°) is closer to SMPTE recommendation from any other instrument.

SteveWK likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6679 of 6681 Old Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Windows 10

FYI

I installed ChromaPure on Windows 10 and took measurements with both the i1D3 and the Spyder 5. I used the Lumagen as a signal generator. I encountered no problems.
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6680 of 6681 Old Today, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Windows 10

Quote:
FYI

I installed ChromaPure on Windows 10 and took measurements with both the i1D3 and the Spyder 5. I used the Lumagen as a signal generator. I encountered no problems.
How about with the Accupel DVG 5000 and the Jeti 1201? Has anyone tried those?

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #6681 of 6681 Old Today, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Correct, avoid contact measurements for Plasma, If you see check any pattern closely to your plasma you will see that the dots/pixels are jumping around (changing from stable to an unstable state)... if you use the meter in contact mode, the meter detects that and it will give you unstable readings.

By taking contact measurements with Plasma, the sensor placement is very sensitive because of the plasma pixel pitch (gap between sub-pixels) which makes sometimes your meter reading more difficult, unstable.

For example by using the i1PRO1/2 for plasma in contact mode the aperture size for spot measurements is 4.5mm only, if you make the calculations to the pixels that the meter is seeing to this area in 1080p display are only a few pixels, count also the gap between each subpixel (pixel pitch), you probably measuring about 15-20 pixels only (It has to do with screen size and pixel pitch), you will not have perfect repeatability since the meter will detect more the pixel's PWM noise, but this can be improved if you take non-contact measurements, there some published documents that suggesting to measure about 100 pixels minimum for display calibration.

SMPTE recommends to take readings from the viewing position, but that's is not possible for the consumer probes, you need an instrument with ~2.0° field of view.

A high-end spectro with a viewing optics (like PhotoResearch or Minolta) or with laser aiming (like JETI) with narrow viewing angle for this job.

As you can see from the following Chart (created by <^..^>Smokey Joe), the JETI (1.8°) is closer to SMPTE recommendation from any other instrument.

Thanks for the information. I use a Chromapure profiled i1D3 for my obsession. Any idea what its FOV is? I also generally place it about 1" (2.54 cm) from my plasma screen. I wonder if I should move it back. I think I'll experiment with that. I keep it close to the screen in an attempt to minimize noise from reflections and any light that might leak into its FOV from the test patterns I use (25%APL 10%Window). It's a 64" screen and puts out quite a bit of light during calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration