The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 169Likes
post #6781 of 6798 Old 08-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
The built-in test patterns are intended as a poor man's signal generator. For most enthusiast applications it is fine, but for more serious work I always recommend an external signal generator.
Tom,
Any plans for an IOS (and/or Android) pattern generator app which can be mirrored on the TV with ChromaPure selecting the correct patterns for the various tests, something similar to the app SpectraCal is providing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6798 Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@ Tom, will ChromaPure 3 also have display calibration? (generate ICC profiles) Or will it be projectors and TV's only, like previous versions?

Editor TFT Central
post #6783 of 6798 Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 400
In general, I am reluctant to respond to questions like the last two. I want to leave flexibility about what will or will not be in future releases. I will therefore treat these as feature requests.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6784 of 6798 Old 08-25-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Tom,

In the meter correction screen how is the "Y" value derived ? I did a correction the other day and tried again today and am getting some bizarre reading in the 163 range from my I1D3 if I apply the correction luminance is way off almost like it is a levels mismatch, using Ryan's MCD disc as a pattern source.

65JS9500
55ST60
Dish Network Hopper/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
post #6785 of 6798 Old 08-25-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
In the meter correction screen how is the "Y" value derived ? I did a correction the other day and tried again today and am getting some bizarre reading in the 163 range from my I1D3 if I apply the correction luminance is way off almost like it is a levels mismatch, using Ryan's MCD disc as a pattern source.
What values were input in the reference and field and what values did you measure before and after the correction?

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6786 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
What values were input in the reference and field and what values did you measure before and after the correction?
Tom what I was attempting to do was use Chad's reading off my set as the reference and then measure with my I1D3 as the field meter and apply the correction. My Y readings appear to be in-line. The screen shot Chad sent me has a Y value of 75 which is way off what my meter reads. My question is can I apply the correction and not populate the Y value ? I know this is something that was recently added to the meter correction screen.

65JS9500
55ST60
Dish Network Hopper/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
post #6787 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Tom what I was attempting to do was use Chad's reading off my set as the reference and then measure with my I1D3 as the field meter and apply the correction. My Y readings appear to be in-line. The screen shot Chad sent me has a Y value of 75 which is way off what my meter reads. My question is can I apply the correction and not populate the Y value ? I know this is something that was recently added to the meter correction screen.
That's an impossible scenario. What if you are using different intensity test patterns? I wouldn't use Y correction in this case. Use the same values for test and reference.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6788 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by jmoakk

I plan on using chromapure to calibrate an epson 8350 soon. This will be my first time using chromapure. I was reading the manual to make sure I understood everything first. I have two question so far just from reading the manual. Which dE method should I use? From what I'm reading I believe I should use CIELUV? Also when using the color management module which color space should I choose? I will be using the CMS on my epson 8350. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CIELUV for Grayscale
CIE94 for Color
REC. 709 for Color Space
Newbie here. Could you please explain the reasons for choosing different dE methods for Grayscale and Color? Is CIELUV more accurate for grayscale and CIE94 more accurate for color?

Ole

Last edited by owtuv; 08-26-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #6789 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by owtuv View Post
Newbie here. Could you please explain the reasons for choosing different dE methods for Grayscale and Color? Is CIELUV more accurate for grayscale and CIE94 more accurate for color?

Ole
Hi, (not sure why you quote me, but no problem)

CIELUV is more tight dE method for Grayscale it will report to your larger dE number compared with CIE94.

ChromaPure is using the UV and counts the differences in Gamma to give you the dE number.

For example if you are targeting to calibrate your Grayscale with dE lower than 1.0.......If you measure your grayscale with CIE94, it will report to you 1.0, but if you re-measure it with

CIELUV it will report to you about 1.6-2.0, so using CIELUV for Grayscale you will see that you have more space for corrections.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-26-2015 at 10:43 AM.
post #6790 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by dsinger

As I mentioned today in the Elite thread, check post 5486 on page 183. D-Nice posted his results on color tracking at various stim levels. Other than for cyan, the results look good to me.

I don't think the issue is poor tracking at different levels of stimulus, but at different levels of saturation.
I´m trying to understand the difference between levels of stimulus and levels of saturation, and how these levels relate to the ChromaPure patterns on the AVS HD709 disc:

- Is stimulus the same as luminance/intensity of the pattern?

- Are the patterns in the 75% Color chapter 75% intensity, 100% saturation?

- Are the 100/75/50/25% patterns in the Saturation chapter 100/75/50/25% saturation, 100% intensity?

- How and where in the ChromaPure workflow are these different patterns used?

- Is the 75% of Rec. 709 option in ChromaPure Options related with the use of 75% saturation patterns?

Ole
Bill Cruce likes this.
post #6791 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ChromaPure is using the UV and counts the differences in Gamma to give you the dE number.
Ted, ChromaPure does not consider gamma when calculating dE values for white balance\grayscale.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6792 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I´m trying to understand the difference between levels of stimulus and levels of saturation, and how these levels relate to the ChromaPure patterns on the AVS HD709 disc:
- Is stimulus the same as luminance/intensity of the pattern?
Yes, stimulus is the same as luminance/intensity. Saturation is the distance from the white point independent of intensity. All else being equal, a color closer to the white point is less saturated and further from the white point is more saturated. The level of intensity is independent of distance from the white point.
Quote:
- Are the patterns in the 75% Color chapter 75% intensity, 100% saturation?
- Are the 100/75/50/25% patterns in the Saturation chapter 100/75/50/25% saturation, 100% intensity?
You should direct the AVSHD questions to the AVSHD guys. I honestly don't know the answers to those questions.
Quote:
- How and where in the ChromaPure workflow are these different patterns used?
- Is the 75% of Rec. 709 option in ChromaPure Options related with the use of 75% saturation patterns?
You would use the saturation patterns in the Advanced Color Management module.
75% of Rec. 709 is the same as 75% saturation within the Rec. 709 gamut.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6793 of 6798 Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Ted, ChromaPure does not consider gamma when calculating dE values for white balance\grayscale.
Hi Tom, please look at your post here: Did grayscale with 94, worth 2nd pass with uv?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6794 of 6798 Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Tom, please look at your post here: Did grayscale with 94, worth 2nd pass with uv?
Yes, that's right. "We use the luminance element in dE calculations only for color. So, technically speaking we use uv for grayscale and Luv for color."
We treat color and grayscale/white balance different in this regard.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6795 of 6798 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by HD-Master 

If I want to use CIELUV for grayscale and then CIE94 for color...how do I do that? I see in the options that I can chose one or the other. Do I simply compete the grayscale section with CIELUV selected in the options, then change it to CIE94 in the options before doing color?

Currently, that's correct. The ability to use different dE formulas for grayscale and color--without switching in Options--is on our development roadmap.
I´m a new CP user using v. 2.5.8. Do we still need to manually switch dE setting in Options to use CIELUV for Grayscale and CIE94 for Color?

Ole
post #6796 of 6798 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I´m a new CP user using v. 2.5.8. Do we still need to manually switch dE setting in Options to use CIELUV for Grayscale and CIE94 for Color?
Currently, yes.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #6797 of 6798 Old Today, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Jim:

You have to go VERY low to see difference between them. For example, the Klein can read the black level of a Pioneer Kuro. The D3 certainly cannot.
Tom,

What is the typical black level of the Kuros (I own a 600M)? What value should I set for Black Luminance in the BT.1886 options? Is the default 0.03 appropriate?

Ole
post #6798 of 6798 Unread Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is the typical black level of the Kuros (I own a 600M)? What value should I set for Black Luminance in the BT.1886 options? Is the default 0.03 appropriate?
Although black is lower, I would leave it at the default value for BT.1886 purposes.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page