The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 243Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Member
 
hollisavrct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cp3.1

Hay Tom anything yet on CP3.1 and the Accupel yet

Thanks
Hollisav
hollisavrct is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisavrct View Post
Hay Tom anything yet on CP3.1 and the Accupel yet

Thanks
Hollisav
Both are close.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Member
 
chhanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Both are close.
Yeah!!!....Thank you Tom!

Anthony Chan
chhanthony is offline  
Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
Test the available options and then use what works best.
It's easy enough to try different options, but how does a user, in particular a novice one, decide which result is the "best" (most accurate, in this context)?

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 08-23-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
It's easy enough to try different options, but how does a user, in particular a novice one, decide which result is the "best" (most accurate, in this context)?
I am not sure that I understand your question. Calibration software and a good meter will SHOW YOU which is best.

If you are looking at white balance, then whichever setting gets you closest to R100%, G100%, B100% or x0.3127, y0.329 or dE < 2.0 is, by definition, the "best."

If you are looking at color, then whichever setting produces the lowest average dE is, by definition, the best.

If you are looking at gamma, then whatever setting gets you the closest to the target gamma (2.22, for simplicity's sake) is, by definition, the best.

None of this requires any special expertise, beyond a rudimentary understanding of what white balance, color accuracy, and gamma mean. Even a novice can determine this right off the bat.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
None of this requires any special expertise, beyond a rudimentary understanding of what white balance, color accuracy, and gamma mean. Even a novice can determine this right off the bat.
I was referring to the part regarding "What is the best pattern size to use, 10% windowed, 6.5% windowed or 10% APL?"

The different settings will theoretically all give you the correct gamma when displaying the respective test pattern, as calibration is a "closed loop" system with the adjustments being made to achieve the correct white balance and luminance for each pattern.

However, my understanding that some TVs (e.g., plasma) may respond differently to actual program material, depending on the test pattern used during calibration.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I was referring to the part regarding "What is the best pattern size to use, 10% windowed, 6.5% windowed or 10% APL?"

The different settings will theoretically all give you the correct gamma when displaying the respective test pattern, as calibration is a "closed loop" system with the adjustments being made to achieve the correct white balance and luminance for each pattern.

However, my understanding that some TVs (e.g., plasma) may respond differently to actual program material, depending on the test pattern used during calibration.
I don't think that there is any correct answer to this question. The only thing I would look at is which provides the most linear gamma response. This is one of those issues where the differences are very, very small that I think get a little more attention than they deserve. What is critical is that windows are used on plasma and OLED.

BTW, I did notice that some OLEDs may respond better with a 10% window than with a 5% window. The reason is that LG OLEDs will start to dim if it senses a static image on the screen. Changes in color and intensity are not a large enough change in overall APL for the TV to detect change, but with a 10% window this is not a problem. This is why I suggested starting with a 10% as the safest choice.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Member
 
hollisavrct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cp3.1

Tom it has been almost a month sense I last asked about CP3.1 and the DVG-5000.
Hoping to hear some good news.

Hollisav
hollisavrct is offline  
Old 09-17-2016, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisavrct View Post
Tom it has been almost a month sense I last asked about CP3.1 and the DVG-5000.
Hoping to hear some good news.

Hollisav
All work on AccuPel hardware is complete. The only software issue remaining is supporting HDR, which is fairly straightforward. Then it is just a matter of ordering the parts for the case and assembling the final product.

CP 3.1 has completed all of the primary updates, except Duo auto-cal, which will be the last item. After that it is just clean-up, debugging, and documentation.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
Old 09-17-2016, 03:07 AM
Senior Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
All work on AccuPel hardware is complete. The only software issue remaining is supporting HDR, which is fairly straightforward. Then it is just a matter of ordering the parts for the case and assembling the final product.

CP 3.1 has completed all of the primary updates, except Duo auto-cal, which will be the last item. After that it is just clean-up, debugging, and documentation.
So tomorrow then?
DaMacFunkin is offline  
Old Today, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
Hi Tom

Are you planning HDR support for the Radiance Pro?

Thanks

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...
thrang is online now  
Old Today, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Are you planning HDR support for the Radiance Pro?
In 3.1 we have implemented an HDR gamma option that provides the correct gamma curve to calibrate to, but you'll have to put the Radiance Pro into HDR mode manually first. I have instructions for this in the CP3 thread. In the next version we'll had a software toggle for HDR mode.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off