The Official ChromaPure thread - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes
post #7261 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
I haven't experimented with the display personally, but if the Adaptive Backlight Control is a dynamic system that changes light output as content changes (like a dynamic iris on a projector), then I would turn it off. The backlight level should be set as low as possible while still getting adequate light output from the panel.
Thanks Tom

I'll experiment with the settings. One thing I am learning already is that the rewards for calibrating are for patience and experimentation as much as the mere objective use and interpretation of the calibration equipment.

TV: Panasonic TX58-DX902B
BluRay: Panasonic: MP-UB900EBK
SoundBar: Panasonic: SC-HTB885EBK
Calibration: ChromaPure 3.2.1, X-Rite Display 3 PRO II Colorimeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 05:05 AM

Terminology

Tom

Would you make sure my understanding of basic terminology is correct please. Reading your explanatory articles I understand most things but the words Stimulus and Amp. are used and I am not 100% sure of what they mean.

What is Amp.? Eg Full Field Amp/75%S

S = Saturation but does Amp = Amplitude = Stimulus = Brightness = Luminance?

Are the following correct:

Intensity = Luminance?
Stimulus = Luminance?
Stimulus = Brightness = Luminance?

Thank you.

post #7263 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Tom, as you can see I cannot select any OLED option. Which setting in CP V2 comes closest for ideal OLED calibration?

post #7264 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Would you make sure my understanding of basic terminology is correct please. Reading your explanatory articles I understand most things but the words Stimulus and Amp. are used and I am not 100% sure of what they mean.

What is Amp.? Eg Full Field Amp/75%S

S = Saturation but does Amp = Amplitude = Stimulus = Brightness = Luminance?

Are the following correct:

Intensity = Luminance?
Stimulus = Luminance?
Stimulus = Brightness = Luminance?
Yes, these terms are used more or less interchangeably. % Video is also used. They all refer to the strength of the signal. A stronger signal yields a brighter image.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7265 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Tom, as you can see I cannot select any OLED option. Which setting in CP V2 comes closest for ideal OLED calibration?

Probably plasma.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7266 of 7277 Unread 02-14-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, these terms are used more or less interchangeably. % Video is also used. They all refer to the strength of the signal. A stronger signal yields a brighter image.
Thanks for your quick response Tom.

I can see a great deal of time, effort, competence and dedication has gone in to what's you write and produce and I am enjoying reading it and learning a lot from it.

post #7267 of 7277 Unread 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Considering a ChromaPure purchase, but have some questions

Hi everyone,

I'm really new to the word of calibrating, but I have some questions that drive me crazy.
(And please excuse my english, I'm from France)

I just bought a Samsung UE55KS9000 that I'm really happy with (maybe too much clouding, I'll see with time), but I'd like to calibrate it to get a great TV experience.

Important for the whole thing, I'm not a pro or power user, quite a real noob about color, gamut stuff, etc.

I have a Spyder 4 HDTV I got years ago, but from what I read, it's quite crap, so after hours of reading on forums (here mainly), I won't use it and I bought a "X-rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro" on amazon and I'm receiving it later today.

amazon.fr/gp/product/B0055MBQOW/ << what I took (put the 3w before)

Now I think I have 2 choices :

Go with HCFR (free but time consuming and seek method for yourself)
or ChromaPure (paid but quite straightforward and help is included from what I read)

(I saw other solutions like Calman Control, but really out of my budget)
Beacause yes, after the TV and the meter, I'm short...

So my questions are :

1) Will my EODIS3 i1 will work with Chromapure, or it has to be modded by TomHuffman? (I read this on a review here (homecinema-fr.com/forum/les-logiciels-de-calibration/la-calibration-chromapure-pas-a-pas-t30015916.html) (put the 3w before)

2) For what expect to do with, is the lite version enough? (I have actually no idea how valuable for me are "Gamma, Advanced Color Management, ColorChecker, Reports, Auto-Calibrate, Lumens Calculator, Conversion Utility, PRO meters, Signal Generator support, and Options."
- Gamma, Advanced Color Management, ColorChecker, mostly, the rest is aiming quite advanced users I think.

3) For the paterns, chromapure's seem to be included with a "hardware purchase", can I use AVS HD 709 just fine ?

3) My TV seems to be capable of HDR-10, should I get "R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns" to calibrate my HDR mode, or AVS HD 709 is fine, since my meter is not HDR capable like the SpectraCal C6-HDR?

I'm really sorry if some of these questions look stupid, I'm really getting started with all of this, and just want to get my picture (and maybe a friend's) fine for the best price

In advance a huge thank to you,
post #7268 of 7277 Unread 02-16-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroDegre View Post
1) Will my EODIS3 i1 will work with Chromapure, or it has to be modded by TomHuffman? (I read this on a review here (homecinema-fr.com/forum/les-logiciels-de-calibration/la-calibration-chromapure-pas-a-pas-t30015916.html) (put the 3w before)

2) For what expect to do with, is the lite version enough? (I have actually no idea how valuable for me are "Gamma, Advanced Color Management, ColorChecker, Reports, Auto-Calibrate, Lumens Calculator, Conversion Utility, PRO meters, Signal Generator support, and Options."
- Gamma, Advanced Color Management, ColorChecker, mostly, the rest is aiming quite advanced users I think.

3) For the paterns, chromapure's seem to be included with a "hardware purchase", can I use AVS HD 709 just fine ?

4) My TV seems to be capable of HDR-10, should I get "R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns" to calibrate my HDR mode, or AVS HD 709 is fine, since my meter is not HDR capable like the SpectraCal C6-HDR?
1. Yes, it will work, but for the modifications you have to send the meter to us.
2. No, I don't think so. I would recommend ChromaPure Standard.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. To do HDR calibration you would need this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7269 of 7277 Unread 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
1. Yes, it will work, but for the modifications you have to send the meter to us.
2. No, I don't think so. I would recommend ChromaPure Standard.
3. Yes.
4. Yes. To do HDR calibration you would need this.
Hi TomHuffman, thanks a lot for your answer.

Points 2,3 & 4, Ok and big thanks.

Point 1: So "as it", out of the box, I cannot use it if I decide to get à Chromapure licence?

Or the "hardware mod" unlocks possibilities for better calibration?

Sorry to double ask but licence + 2 way shipping + (potential import taxes) + mod cost = a no go for my wallet
post #7270 of 7277 Unread 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroDegre View Post
Hi TomHuffman, thanks a lot for your answer.

Points 2,3 & 4, Ok and big thanks.

Point 1: So "as it", out of the box, I cannot use it if I decide to get à Chromapure licence?

Or the "hardware mod" unlocks possibilities for better calibration?

Sorry to double ask but licence + 2 way shipping + (potential import taxes) + mod cost = a no go for my wallet
Not at all. You can use it as is. You would just get improved accuracy by having it corrected. Even without corrections, the i1d3 is an excellent meter.
ZeroDegre likes this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7271 of 7277 Unread 02-19-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Not at all. You can use it as is. You would just get improved accuracy by having it corrected. Even without corrections, the i1d3 is an excellent meter.
Thanks for everything! Waiting my licence from chromapure.co.uk (no answer since friday, maybe on holiday), but can't wait to start using it
post #7272 of 7277 Unread 02-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Tom what are your recommended settings under ChromaPure Options/ Meters/Display 3?
I have my I1D3 Pro set to
Measurement Mode CRT
Integration time 0.9 seconds, any lower and my 0% stimulus reads 0.003ftL for the mll, its a Panasonic ST60, 0.9 seconds 0% stimulus reads 0.002ftL mll which is what these measure at.
Normal Read Mode
1 cdm2 low light threshold
3 Number of measurements

Also what do you do to combat IR during calibration so your measurements are not affected due to having the patterns on the screen for so long? I think that sometimes IR could be affecting my measurements because I've had been calibrating for so long , since the process is so iterative.

Last edited by hungro; 02-19-2017 at 07:19 AM.
post #7273 of 7277 Unread Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 22
21 point White Balance on Chromapure Disc?

Hi guys. I just recently purchased Chromapure and the accompanying disc. I cannot find the slides for the 21 point white balance adjustment on the disc however. If someone could tell me where I could get that or where it is on the disc I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a very novice calibrator and just started using Chromapure a week ago, be gentle. Thanks.

Denon x2300w
XBox One S
Sony BDP-S6500
Apple TV4
LG OLED65B6p
post #7274 of 7277 Unread Yesterday, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post
Tom what are your recommended settings under ChromaPure Options/ Meters/Display 3?
I have my I1D3 Pro set to
Measurement Mode CRT
Integration time 0.9 seconds, any lower and my 0% stimulus reads 0.003ftL for the mll, its a Panasonic ST60, 0.9 seconds 0% stimulus reads 0.002ftL mll which is what these measure at.
Normal Read Mode
1 cdm2 low light threshold
3 Number of measurements

Also what do you do to combat IR during calibration so your measurements are not affected due to having the patterns on the screen for so long? I think that sometimes IR could be affecting my measurements because I've had been calibrating for so long , since the process is so iterative.
That sounds fine.
You just have to make sure that you don't linger on any one test pattern too long.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7275 of 7277 Unread Yesterday, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

When to use Rec 2020 - Gamma & Gamut settings?

Hi Guys. I'm calibrating (trying to) with Chromapure 3 and the Chromapure disc. My TV is an LG OLED B6, receiver is Denon x2300w, and I'm currently using the Xbox One S for UHD. I noticed in the settings that there is an option in Gamut for Rec 2020. Should I be using that instead of Rec709 with this setup? Also I noticed that there is a Gamma option for BT.1886. Should I be using that instead of 2.2 in the settings and should that match my TV setting? Very confused. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Denon x2300w
XBox One S
Sony BDP-S6500
Apple TV4
LG OLED65B6p
post #7276 of 7277 Unread Yesterday, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Hi Guys. I'm calibrating (trying to) with Chromapure 3 and the Chromapure disc. My TV is an LG OLED B6, receiver is Denon x2300w, and I'm currently using the Xbox One S for UHD. I noticed in the settings that there is an option in Gamut for Rec 2020. Should I be using that instead of Rec709 with this setup? Also I noticed that there is a Gamma option for BT.1886. Should I be using that instead of 2.2 in the settings and should that match my TV setting? Very confused. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you will be watching both UHD and HD sources, then you need two separate calibrations. The CP disc is for HD only. Use Rec. 709/BT.1886 (or 2.22). For UHD sources, you need Ryan Masiola's test patterns and select Rec. 2020/HDR. Calibrate to 50% Saturation/50% Intensity Rec. 2020 in Color Management.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #7277 of 7277 Unread Today, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you will be watching both UHD and HD sources, then you need two separate calibrations. The CP disc is for HD only. Use Rec. 709/BT.1886 (or 2.22). For UHD sources, you need Ryan Masiola's test patterns and select Rec. 2020/HDR. Calibrate to 50% Saturation/50% Intensity Rec. 2020 in Color Management.
Thanks for the reply Tom. Very much appreciated. I think I'm still a bit confused. If I'm using a device (specifically Xbox One S in this situation) that upscales everything to 4k, would I want to use Ryan's or your disc and which parts? HDR content would be obvious as my TV will switch to HDR when it gets that information from a disc but what about for the Blu Ray player that upscales everything? Would I rely on BT.1866 or Rec. 2020 and which Sat level? Thank you!

Denon x2300w
XBox One S
Sony BDP-S6500
Apple TV4
LG OLED65B6p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration