Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5550 Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tom, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, but is auto-calibrate with VideoEQ planned?
post #813 of 5550 Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by drapp1952 View Post

Tom, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, but is auto-calibrate with VideoEQ planned?

No, we are focusing on the Duo and the Radiance.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #814 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 AM

I have an odd problem with Chromapure (v 2.0.3) with an i1LT meter i purchased, the software will "hang" after a few readings, I could be doing a grayscale or color , it will read a few then just hang. If I unplug the meter and reconnect it , it will start working again for a few more readings before hanging again.

I have tired another meter, and three laptops (2 x windows 7, 1 x XP)..

I wondered if anyone had any ideas?
post #815 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

A familar sound to us VideoEQ owners is that of silence in response to questions, so this doesn't surprise me either. At least with the new RGB screen within the gamma section I sorted out my gamma and greyscale in record time last time I did a calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1972 View Post

I have an odd problem with Chromapure (v 2.0.3) with an i1LT meter i purchased, the software will "hang" after a few readings, I could be doing a grayscale or color , it will read a few then just hang. If I unplug the meter and reconnect it , it will start working again for a few more readings before hanging again.

I've been using this version myself with an i1LT and not suffered the issues you have. My laptop is XP and has antivirus and other background programs running (it's really my work's PC ) so I can't even suggest it's Anti virus related. I'm using pretty much the defaut settings in Chromapure apart from changing to 3 readings for measurement smoothing and 'median' in the options menu for 'Meters'.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #816 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1972 View Post

I have the same meter and occasionally have the same problem, but it is not severe. I am running Windows 7. As I feel compelled to take another dark reading after I unplug the meter, I usually close Chromapure and reopen it after unplugging the meter, and it usually doesn't hang up again after that.

It's not severe enough of a problem to detract from my enjoyment of the software, and it hangs less than some of my other programs.
post #817 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I've been using this version myself with an i1LT and not suffered the issues you have. My laptop is XP and has antivirus and other background programs running (it's really my work's PC ) so I can't even suggest it's Anti virus related. I'm using pretty much the defaut settings in Chromapure apart from changing to 3 readings for measurement smoothing and 'median' in the options menu for 'Meters'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjb View Post

I have the same meter and occasionally have the same problem, but it is not severe. I am running Windows 7. As I feel compelled to take another dark reading after I unplug the meter, I usually close Chromapure and reopen it after unplugging the meter, and it usually doesn't hang up again after that.

It's not severe enough of a problem to detract from my enjoyment of the software, and it hangs less than some of my other programs.

Im my case its hanging after every few readings... are you all using v2.03 of the chormapure software?
post #818 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A familar sound to us VideoEQ owners is that of silence in response to questions, so this doesn't surprise me either. At least with the new RGB screen within the gamma section I sorted out my gamma and greyscale in record time last time I did a calibration.

Auto-calibrate with my VideoEQ Pro/ChromaPure would be nice but certainly is not essential. Kevin Anderson may come by next month to do an autocalibration with his CalMAN/i1Pro on my VideoEQ/RS10 and we'll compare that with my manual/ChromaPure efforts. I find doing manual runs easy with CP and, being the obsessive-compulsive that I am, actually enjoy it. My questions around calibration continue to be, and would remain with an autocalibration software, variations created by user (that would be me) error in the measurement process. My i1Pro was recently recertified so I've done all I can to ensure accuracy there short of getting a very expensive spectroradiometer. Autocalibration would appear to take less time, hence reducing the number of dark readings needed for a session, and reduce meter placement issues which concern me a little. OTOH my calibration intersession variability has been reduced lately which is reassuring.

I presume the DUO doesn't do secondary colors, still. I might consider getting one nonetheless if the secondaries would be expected to come in line with primary color correction on my JVC RS10. I believe Tom has reported as much - has that been found to be the case?

Has anyone here gone from a VideoEQ to a DUO with a JVC projector and been particularly pleased with the change?
post #819 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I presume the DUO doesn't do secondary colors, still.

Ah, but you presume wrongly Since firmware 2.2, Duo does support secondaries. Check out http://www.anchorbaytech.com/docs/pd...lement_2.3.pdf
post #820 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Ah, but you presume wrongly Since firmware 2.2, Duo does support secondaries. Check out http://www.anchorbaytech.com/docs/pd...lement_2.3.pdf

I should have recalled, and now it comes back to me, that it was the luminance adjustment of secondaries is the thing that was pending and unless I'm still missing something don't see that in the pdf. So the question is really whether luminance for secondaries tracks more or less along with primary luminance adjustments with the DUO on JVCs, insofar as one can generalize between JVCs (RS10s).
post #821 of 5550 Old 12-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Luminance adjustment of secondaries is also possible. x,y,Y are available for all RGBYCM.
post #822 of 5550 Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Liked: 15
Tom,

I finally got a chance to try out the Chromapure pro and I have a question.

I usually calibrate with an LT that is profiled against my i1 Pro, but this time I decided to do a direct comparison. Using the AVS 709 disc, I took a series of gray scale measurements with the i1 Pro. I then setup the i1 Pro as the reference device and created the offsets for the LT and took the same series of measurements. I was just wondering if the attached results are pretty typical for a LT as a profiled device compared to the reference meter of the i1 Pro.

Thank you,

MeterComparison.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.pdf 373.546875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MeterComparison.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro.pdf (373.5 KB, 2 views)
post #823 of 5550 Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

I was just wondering if the attached results are pretty typical for a LT as a profiled device compared to the reference meter of the i1 Pro.

Yes, these look like fairly typical results.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #824 of 5550 Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM

Liked: 15
Thank you. Based on those results, do I trust the dE in the higher IRE from the LT or the i1 Pro? The Pro suggests it is as good as it will be, but the LT says I could tweak a tad more.
post #825 of 5550 Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

Thank you. Based on those results, do I trust the dE in the higher IRE from the LT or the i1 Pro? The Pro suggests it is as good as it will be, but the LT says I could tweak a tad more.

If you are asking my opinion, this is a difference of about 0.003 and 1.5 dE. This is VERY small. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #826 of 5550 Old 01-08-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tom,

Do you have an eta on the auto cal for Duo? Curious how much longer. I want to run a cal and wanted to test it. I have to say just having control of the duo in the current firmware is so much easier to run a calibration. After I calibrate I probably will not jump to run another cal in all auto mode for a while so just wanted to know how much longer I need to wait for the new firmware.

Thanks, Ron
post #827 of 5550 Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Auto-calibrate with my VideoEQ Pro/ChromaPure would be nice but certainly is not essential. Kevin Anderson may come by next month to do an autocalibration with his CalMAN/i1Pro on my VideoEQ/RS10 and we'll compare that with my manual/ChromaPure efforts. I find doing manual runs easy with CP and, being the obsessive-compulsive that I am, actually enjoy it. My questions around calibration continue to be, and would remain with an autocalibration software, variations created by user (that would be me) error in the measurement process. My i1Pro was recently recertified so I've done all I can to ensure accuracy there short of getting a very expensive spectroradiometer. Autocalibration would appear to take less time, hence reducing the number of dark readings needed for a session, and reduce meter placement issues which concern me a little. OTOH my calibration intersession variability has been reduced lately which is reassuring.

I presume the DUO doesn't do secondary colors, still. I might consider getting one nonetheless if the secondaries would be expected to come in line with primary color correction on my JVC RS10. I believe Tom has reported as much - has that been found to be the case?

Has anyone here gone from a VideoEQ to a DUO with a JVC projector and been particularly pleased with the change?

I used the Videoeq pro for a few months and I loved it with my RS1 but I still needed switching of analog video and used a Lumagen HDQ for that. When the duo got the full cms I jumped on the Duo and sold my videoeq and HDQ. I couldn't be happier with the Duo. Not planning on a 3D setup so will be quite happy with my current setup for a long while.

Ron
post #828 of 5550 Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Including the RadianceMini 3D?
post #829 of 5550 Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Including the RadianceMini 3D?

Considering the mini will have the rs232 port, that it uses the same protocol as the other radiances in the range, and it has been confirmed to be (basically) a mini xs, I would imagine it will work in exactly the same way as any other radiance.
post #830 of 5550 Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Considering the mini will have the rs232 port, that it uses the same protocol as the other radiances in the range, and it has been confirmed to be (basically) a mini xs, I would imagine it will work in exactly the same way as any other radiance.

Correct. There is no functional difference. The RadianceMini is like all the others, just less inputs.

Kal
post #831 of 5550 Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Correct. There is no functional difference. The RadianceMini is like all the others, just less inputs.

Kal

Another push towards going for the Mini3D if this would all work with my Chromapure Pro software. I'd also suppose that once the auto calibrate was done, then there wouldn't be anything stopping me doing a manual check and adjust afterwards in either the '3D or the display. That could save hours (or in my case days ).

post #832 of 5550 Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another push towards going for the Mini3D if this would all work with my Chromapure Pro software. I'd also suppose that once the auto calibrate was done, then there wouldn't be anything stopping me doing a manual check and adjust afterwards in either the '3D or the display. That could save hours (or in my case days ).
I've been noting your questioning over this upgrade and am in the same boat. I am leaning away toward purchasing the Mini because of my suspicion that I would not really perceive a $800-900 difference between calibrations done on my VideoEQ calibration and a Mini. In my case I'd rather apply that money toward a used RS35 upgrade from my RS10 to say, double the contrast ratio. If someone can talk me into believing that the 21 point gamma correction would be notably better than a than a 10 point gamma correction I might go with the expenditure. (BTW, is measuring a 21 point gamma an upcoming feature with ChromaPure?) It appears to me that barring some 3D, anamorphic lens-related, or 720 to 1080 processing need, there isn't a compelling reason to make a change.

On the other hand, an automatic ChromaPure calibration including 21 gamma points might persuade me because of the convenience as well as the reduced error from not moving an i1Pro around at all during calibration sessions.
post #833 of 5550 Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I'm going round and round in circles too: I've pretty much deceided that it's not worth me upgrading from my HD350 until I can get at least an X7...I want a really big increase in contrast and I know from a previous demo in my own home that the HD750/950 (RS20/25) wasn't a big enough step for me. Therefore any projector upgrades aren't likely to happen for me until used X7s start appearing at the kind of knock down prices we're starting to see HD750s and HD950s appear for now. It's what I do in the meantime that is puzzling me. It's not that we can't (manually) adjust at 21 points with the VideoEQ Pro if we want to and Chromapure will allow us to measure the greyscale for this, but not display the gamma at the extra points?

post #834 of 5550 Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

as well as the reduced error from not moving an i1Pro around at all during calibration sessions.

How would you take dark readings?

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #835 of 5550 Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not that we can't (manually) adjust at 21 points with the VideoEQ Pro if we want to and Chromapure will allow us to measure the greyscale for this, but not display the gamma at the extra points?
The Pre/Post-Calibration Grayscale module shows gamma as well as white balance.

In 2.1, due at at the end of this month, will will add 5% increments to the gamma module as well.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #836 of 5550 Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom, I spent enough time on the last calibration without trying to sweat it over 21 points, so I've not done a 21 point greyscale. I might try one at some point, more to check the gamma, as I know my i1LT actually measured the gamma pretty much the same as the rental i1Pro.

Still going round in circles re the Mini3D and other upgrades (Oppo 93 or 95, plus room upgrades or maybe a Black Diamond roll down screen).

post #837 of 5550 Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I did a CMS calibration with an i1Pro. ChromaPure asked for dark readings only four minutes after the previous dark reading. I thought the interval was more in the neighborhood of ten minutes. If ten is more correct, is there a way to adjust the CP prompt?

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #838 of 5550 Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I did a CMS calibration with an i1Pro. ChromaPure asked for dark readings only four minutes after the previous dark reading. I thought the interval was more in the neighborhood of ten minutes. If ten is more correct, is there a way to adjust the CP prompt?

It should be 10 minutes. I'll look into this. BTW, you can ignore the prompt if you prefer.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #839 of 5550 Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom will 2.1 have auto cal using the Duo? Would love to test it.

Thanks,

Ron
post #840 of 5550 Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Tom will 2.1 have auto cal using the Duo? Would love to test it.

No, that comes later. The stuff in 2.1 is a prerequisite.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page