AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Display Calibration (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/)
-   -   The Official ChromaPure thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1174468-official-chromapure-thread.html)

JimmyR 08-27-2009 01:14 PM

New Software

http://www.chromapure.com/

See what you think, play with the software demo's ... Add Chromapure to your cal software collection - or not. Looks cool to me and gonna give it a shot.


r3alsp33dy0ne 08-27-2009 07:12 PM

Looks interesting. Am I blind or is there no demo version to play with?

JimmyR 08-27-2009 07:19 PM

Click on any of the "Demos" at the top of this link.
http://www.chromapure.com/

Michael TLV 08-27-2009 07:22 PM

Greetings

No shareware ... try it first version.

regards

mlaun 08-28-2009 05:44 AM

who is behind it??

Michael TLV 08-28-2009 06:22 AM

Greetings

Tom Huffman's baby.

regards

jdbimmer 08-28-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Tom Huffman's baby.

regards

That was my first guess after reading some of the text on the site. It looks very impressive. Congrats Tom!

turbe 08-28-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

Tom Huffman's baby.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

That was my first guess after reading some of the text on the site. It looks very impressive. Congrats Tom!

Myth #4 was a give away for me..

http://www.chromapure.com/colorscience-myths.asp



.

vigga 08-29-2009 10:58 AM

Anyone have some compare/contrasts with Calman?

vigga 08-29-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensesame View Post

What pro adjust controls can be done on the Pioneer Kuro non-elite 5020/6020 with ChromaPure? Currently only greyscale can be calibrated with the Calman product.

Mark

This is calibration software - a way to interface with data from a colorimeter or spectroradiometer - not a means to control the TV.

stash64 08-29-2009 02:58 PM

I really like the looks and functionality of Tom's software. I love that the data can be exported to Excel and the charting in general looks much more powerful than Calman. A couple of questions for Tom:

1) Are the Demos run using a pattern generator or a DVD like AVC HD ?

2) If I were to purchase the EyeOne Pro package, can I run the meter offset using a Display 2 that I already own... or do I need to purchase the combination package ?

andrewfee 08-29-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

the charting in general looks much more powerful than Calman.

I don't see anything in there that CalMAN doesn't already do?

It looks to be a fixed interface unlike CalMAN where you can create any layout you want to suit your own workflow.

stash64 08-29-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee View Post

I don't see anything in there that CalMAN doesn't already do?

It looks to be a fixed interface unlike CalMAN where you can create any layout you want to suit your own workflow.

I had a trial of Calman for a couple weeks and never did find a way to isolate the graphs or explode them. The graphs were so tiny that they were basically useless to me. If there was a way to expand the graphs and show more detail, it was not very intuitive. I'm not a novice computer user.

derekjsmith 08-29-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I love that the data can be exported to Excel and the charting in general looks much more powerful than Calman.

So does CalMAN from day one. We can export the raw sensor XYZ data, xyY, Luv, CCT, Gamma, dE76, dE94, dE2000 and the list goes on and on, over 30+ types of data.

Our charting has more than 50+ types of datagrids, charts and graphs so you can see your data in just about any way you can think of. Plus what you see on the screen you can also send to a printer or PDF as a report so no need for Excel or any other tools to use CalMAN.

Yes Tom's interface does look nice because it's just his view of how your data should look for gamma, grayscale, gamut, luminance. With CalMAN you decide how your data, interface and reports should look not us. We do provide many canned views that can be used as templates but you are more than free to create hundreds of your own.

Why do you think that ISF, THX, Sencore and many others have licensed CalMAN for OEM resell. Take a close look at the ColorPro by CalMAN from Sencore to give you an idea of what can be done by all CalMAN users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga View Post

Anyone have some compare/contrasts with Calman?

- We provide a free eval so you can kick the tires before you buy. Sencore also provides a free eval for ColorPro by CalMAN.
- Our licensing is not tied to a single meters serial number so you are not dependant on us when you need or want to replace your current meter.
- We support every possible meter and pattern generator made including video processors, which may not mean much to the general consumer but if you did ever need to upgrade to our enthusiast or pro versions it’s all the same.
- You have a team of 8+ full time people working on supporting, selling and building newer versions of CalMAN not including any of our partners. We are also hiring for many positions at this time as well.

derekjsmith 08-29-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I had a trial of Calman for a couple weeks and never did find a way to isolate the graphs or explode them. The graphs were so tiny that they were basically useless to me. If there was a way to expand the graphs and show more detail, it was not very intuitive. I'm not a novice computer user.

All you needed to do was enable "Resize mode" and you can resize, move or change the Z order of what is currently on the screen. Plus we have design mode where you can build just about any thing you want, many have and share them on our forums.

derekjsmith 08-29-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensesame View Post

What pro adjust controls can be done on the Pioneer Kuro non-elite 5020/6020 with ChromaPure? Currently only greyscale can be calibrated with the Calman product.

Mark

I do believe you mean ControlCAL not CalMAN for the support of the pioneer panels.

ibre34 08-29-2009 05:27 PM

It's all good but it's not nice to jump in other product thread to try to sell yours.

I think you have your own space on this forum there is no need to invade someone else's space.

derekjsmith 08-29-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

It's all good but it's not nice to jump in other product thread to try to sell yours.

I think you have your own space on this forum there is no need to invade someone else's space.

I'm answering questions about how they compare or correcting misinformation.

TomHuffman 08-29-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

1) Are the Demos run using a pattern generator or a DVD like AVC HD?

2) If I were to purchase the EyeOne Pro package, can I run the meter offset using a Display 2 that I already own... or do I need to purchase the combination package ?

I believe I was using an Accupel pattern generator when I made those, but a DVD would have served as well.

I sent you a PM.

lcaillo 08-29-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

It's all good but it's not nice to jump in other product thread to try to sell yours.

I think you have your own space on this forum there is no need to invade someone else's space.


A question was specifically asked about a comparison, and two other posts confused the product with another and stated incorrect limitations. While Derek may have gone a little far in his sales pitch, he was responding to a question and correcting misunderstandings.

I am personally very interested in Tom's product and how it compares to others on the market, including why he bothered to do it. The guys at CalMAN were out to build a better mousetrap and did so, but at the cost of making it hard for some to figure out all of the capabilities. Tom has a nice simple interface that gives you the basic info. If it works properly with the meters it supports, it could certainly have a niche for enthusiasts who want it laid out for them and don't want to bother to customize their work.

Both Tom and the guys at CalMAN have contributed greatly to public understanding of calibration, in their own ways. I see no reason to exclude Derek from discussion here any more than excluding Tom from discussing their product in other threads.

TomHuffman 08-29-2009 11:07 PM

FYI, I added some additional demos for:

- Getting Help
- Setting Options
- Calculating Lumens for a Front Projector

http://www.chromapure.com/demos.asp

Kilgore 08-30-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Both Tom and the guys at CalMAN have contributed greatly to public understanding of calibration, in their own ways. I see no reason to exclude Derek from discussion here any more than excluding Tom from discussing their product in other threads.

Discussion, absolutely. Blatantly whoring your own product, absolutely not.

EDIT:....and yes, I'm saying Derek was whoring his product. Or, if my use is of the word "whoring" is too offensive, let me say that instead of directing his comments to stash64 in a PM, he used the opportunity to blatantly advertise his product in a thread where such advertising clearly doesn't belong.

stash64 08-30-2009 06:49 AM

For the home user like me, I don't want to spend hours trying to sort through the interface. I want to spend that time on the actual calibration. If its software you use only a few times a year, I think it is important that it be very intuitive and user-friendly... and I guess that is the main reason I like the looks of Tom's solution. Calman may be more powerful and customizable but I think most home user's will find Tom's easy-to-navigate interface a real advantage.

glaufman 08-30-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Discussion, absolutely. Blatantly whoring your own product, absolutely not.

EDIT:....and yes, I'm saying Derek was whoring his product. Or, if my use is of the word "whoring" is too offensive, let me say that instead of directing his comments to stash64 in a PM, he used the opportunity to blatantly advertise his product in a thread where such advertising clearly doesn't belong.

If Derek had corrected the info in a PM, many others would have read the mis-info in the thread and thought it to be accurate.

Further, if Tom objected to anything said or the way it was said, he's more than capable of defending his own turf, if there even is such a thing here...

derekjsmith 08-30-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

If Derek had corrected the info in a PM, many others would have read the mis-info in the thread and thought it to be accurate.

Further, if Tom objected to anything said or the way it was said, he's more than capable of defending his own turf, if there even is such a thing here...

My intent was to answer all the posted questions about CalMAN vs. ChromaPure and to correct any mis-information. I did re-read my post and have since removed and reworded some of it to not sound like a blatant sales pitch.

I have nothing against Tom or ChromaPure and am sure he will have a following just like we do with CalMAN.

stash64 08-30-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

If Derek had corrected the info in a PM, many others would have read the mis-info in the thread and thought it to be accurate.

Further, if Tom objected to anything said or the way it was said, he's more than capable of defending his own turf, if there even is such a thing here...

It wasn't misinformation but simply an opinion that the data generation and charting looked to be more user friendly with ChromaPure. I never made an absolute statement that it could not be done in CalMan, just that I did not think it was easy to do and did not find a means to do it during my short trial. When I had the trial version, I did ask if the small individual charts could be isolated and expanded but I did not get confirmation either way. For me, a user-friendly program would allow for a right-click to open a single chart in another window but that was not possible with the trial version I was using. All the data charts were squeezed into one small window.

I think it's fine that Derek cleared up that the same charting and exporting to Excel can be done in CalMan but it should have been left it at that.

aoshiken 09-28-2009 10:42 AM

Again... Any comparison data?

TomHuffman 09-28-2009 01:40 PM

BTW, version 1.1 is finished.

We now support the DTP-94 colorimeter and Excel 2007 for reporting.

kipE 09-28-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

BTW, version 1.1 is finished.

We now support the DTP-94 colorimeter and Excel 2007 for reporting.

I am hoping support for at least the AccuPel 3000, 4000 is coming soon for ChromaPure. I really like this software but manual operation isn't a very attractive thought for those of us used to software selectable patterns

TomHuffman 09-28-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipE View Post

I am hoping support for at least the AccuPel 3000, 4000 is coming soon for ChromaPure. I really like this software but manual operation isn't a very attractive thought for those of us used to software selectable patterns

Coming. . . .


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.