Different RGB and luminance readings when measurements are performed while in service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I noticed when calibrating my Panasonic, I receive different RGB and luminance readings when measurements are performed while in service mode, as opposed to outside service mode.

Has anyone else come across this, and what calibration adjustments would you make to account for the differences?

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've found that anytime there is a menu on the screen while taking measurements, there is a variation in readings. Be it RP or Flat Panel displays.

If you account for the deviation between the SM vs normal, then offset the values accordingly while you are in the SM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Yes, it's entirely normal. On Panasonic plasmas, the difference between gamma in the SM vs. out of it is very dramatic in some modes, and very slight on other modes like THX.
You can either record offsets like Lee said, or you can get close in the SM and then fine tune by checking the results outside the SM.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yes, it's entirely normal. On Panasonic plasmas, the difference between gamma in the SM vs. out of it is very dramatic in some modes, and very slight on other modes like THX.
You can either record offsets like Lee said, or you can get close in the SM and then fine tune by checking the results outside the SM.

Thanks Lee and Chad. I thought I was going crazy.

Yes, I found the luminance curve and gamma readings much better in SM. Outside SM the luminance curve has an upward belly at 50 - 70 IRE, and the gamma is lower (under 1.75). In the SM the luminance curve is on the money, and the gamma is more linear, and around 2.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page