Spears & Munsil Calibration Advice - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 162 Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yes, we licensed that clip from Super Speedway.

Still making slow progress on the 3D disc. Authoring is really the big hold up. We are close to finishing up all of the content. Re-grading the new 3D montage at the moment. I started encoding the window patterns yesterday. We have 0% to 100% in steps of 10% in normal window, equal-energy window, and fields. All in white, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow. All available in 2D and flat 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

Yes, we licensed that clip from Super Speedway.

I thought so. I have many an hour with that disc, as it's my go to when I'm showing off my system. The BD is awesome.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #153 of 162 Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

4:2:2 into VT20 works best. If you look at the Chroma Alignment pattern you will see half a pixel shift when sending in 4:4:4.

Chroma Process - Off
Detail Clarity - Off
Super Resolution - 0 or off (dont recall what the choice is)

Leave the VT20 in auto.

sspears many thank you very much for this information, however I will be buying this month between the calibration disk spears and Munsil.

I always envisioned all content in THX's VT20, which even at the moment I can not define or too hard for me is the picture settings I need to THX.

now I have it like this:

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 50
color: 40
tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Hot: 2
everything else off

with this configuration is well contained in most bluray, but I think in fact the spears and Munsil I will be able to leave a little better, well I hope, that so you think can be improved with the album?, is a question that I have.

you anyway? Thanks much for sharing that part of the BDT300 image settings, the configuration of the display button was something I was breaking the head and did not know how I should leave it set.

I just look the picture of my VT20 looks best time d watch blurays wing, unfortunately in my country there are no gauges image licenses, the united states and the VT20 that I have was the last time you came to my country plasmas software functionality and image (ATSC) as the United States.

now all Panasonic plasmas from 2011 are standard ISDB-T, oh I forgot to say I'm from peru.

greetings from peru and sspears thank you very much.
post #154 of 162 Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I don't own this disk, but have a question about the following:

The ramps are good for checking that your brightness and contrast settings are being accomplished with sufficient precision to avoid posterization. As you adjust contrast and/or brightness up and down, the ramps should stay smooth and clean and shouldn’t ripple, sparkle, or show any real change. If they do, or they start to look like distinct vertical bands instead of smooth gradients, that’s a sign that the display is doing integer arithmetic to apply the brightness, contrast, and other adjustments, and not using sufficient precision. On some displays, different settings for brightness and contrast produce different levels of posterization. If the ramps look best with the brightness or contrast a notch or two above or below the theoretically perfect setting, our advice is to use that setting, because posterization is much more visible than small amounts of clipping.

from the following link under "contrast":

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...epatterns.html

One problem we see reasonably often in displays is that the Contrast control is implemented using fairly low-precision math. The result is that the various levels in between 0 and maximum are rounded to the nearest displayable level. This can result in contouring in smooth gradients. To check for this, it’s worth looking at a continuous ramp (such as the one in the Contrast pattern) and ensuring that it looks like a gradient and not a series of thin bars. You may want to move Contrast up and down and see if you see bars, bands, or stripes appear or disappear. If there is one setting that is close to the optimal setting and produces a smoother ramp, it’s probably worth compromising on perfect contrast in order to get smoother gradients. If possible, use a Contrast setting lower than optimal rather than higher than optimal, to avoid clipping.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...stcontrol.html

How common is such behavior on modern digital displays like LCD or Plasma and is it fairly easy to spot? I've heard that some 10 or 20 point grayscale/gamma controls can cause visible banding on such test patterns but did not know it can also happen with basic brightness and contrast settings as well.
post #155 of 162 Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

4:2:2 into VT20 works best. If you look at the Chroma Alignment pattern you will see half a pixel shift when sending in 4:4:4..

What about for JVC X30? I set my Duo output to Auto and it always set itself to 444, same as for my Panny V20 TV, so wonder if 422 is better for both.

post #156 of 162 Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Stacey, can you post the players (and TVs or player/TV combos) that you have 444 vs 422 info on?

With chroma alignment I seem to have maybe a whole pixel shift ref no matter what output I test from my Panasonic player to my Samsung plasma. This is best seen with the gray background in the lower left.
post #157 of 162 Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about for JVC X30?

No experience with it.

Quote:

I set my Duo output to Auto and it always set itself to 444, same as for my Panny V20 TV, so wonder if 422 is better for both.

Auto simply reads the EDID and uses that info. EDIDs are not about best image quality, they are simply what some said "that works".

Quote:

Stacey, can you post the players (and TVs or player/TV combos) that you have 444 vs 422 info on?

Off the top of my head.

DVDO VP50, 50Pro, and Duo - Send 4:2:2 into them. If you send 4:4:4, they will down sample process and upsample.
Samsung SP-A800B and SP-A900B - Send 4:4:4 into them. If you send in 4:2:2, they will use nearest neighbor and introduce a half pxiels shift.
Panasonic VT20 - Send in 4:2:2. If you send in 4:4:4, they will dowm sample incorreclty and then upsample again, which results in a half pixel shift.
post #158 of 162 Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How common is such behavior on modern digital displays like LCD or Plasma and is it fairly easy to spot? I've heard that some 10 or 20 point grayscale/gamma controls can cause visible banding on such test patterns but did not know it can also happen with basic brightness and contrast settings as well.

No matter where I set contrast on the Panasonic VT20, it has noticable banding. Even worse banding if you don't use the right picture mode.

The old Samsung 720p front projector would show banding at various contrast settings and then snap into a clean gradient. You could see the bands go from 8 to 4 to 2 to 0 as you pulled down contrast one step at a time.

Some LCDs I have looked at have a perfect gradient no matter what. Plasma and DLPs seem to be worse in this regard.
post #159 of 162 Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

DVDO VP50, 50Pro, and Duo - Send 4:2:2 into them. If you send 4:4:4, they will down sample process and upsample.

Samsung SP-A800B and SP-A900B - Send 4:4:4 into them. If you send in 4:2:2, they will use nearest neighbor and introduce a half pxiels shift.
a bit offtopic as I have the a900b too:

A french review of the a900b mentiones, the a900b can accept 108p/48Hz on HDMI input if I understand his review correctly. As I have only a Oppo BDP93 and no external Video Processor, can you confirm with your DVDO VP50 for example that the a900b accepts 1080p/48Hz?
Is there any benefit visible?

If I decide to buy an VP50 Pro (not only for the projector) I have understood it is best to set the Oppo to 4:2:2 and the DVDO to 4:4:4.
But could I use the Oppo Qdeo Processing without interfering from the DVDO? I like the +1 Sharpness of the Oppo on poorer HDTV signals, which has this "image depth extension" (which the DVDO obviously does not have).
post #160 of 162 Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No experience with it.

Auto simply reads the EDID and uses that info. EDIDs are not about best image quality, they are simply what some said "that works".

Off the top of my head.

Panasonic VT20 - Send in 4:2:2. If you send in 4:4:4, they will dowm sample incorreclty and then upsample again, which results in a half pixel shift.

Do you have any info on Samsung plasmas? Or even a best guess wrt 444 vs 422
post #161 of 162 Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Off the top of my head.

Is the advice also to send 422 into a Lumagen?

post #162 of 162 Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
All the vps above (Lum/DVDO) perform internal processing in the 422 domain so 422 IN /OUT is the best option for them ..

But output is also demendent on the Display device native colorspace as its often best to send native colorspace, so for Panasonic VT series thats 422...

Most modern consumer displays are 422 (that im aware of) but using S&M HD Basics you will know for sure what the Displays optimum color space is to send..

This is an issue with the Darblets currently RGB (Untill the next batch with the firmware Fix

Cheers..
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page