Eye-One Display 2 and Front Projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received an X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 with CalMAN for Christmas. I want to use it for many display types, but the most important to me is my front projector.

CurtPalme.com says that the CalMAN-enhanced Spyder 3 is a better unit for projectors due to lack of a tripod mount on the D2 and the diffuser not being great for taking measurements directly from the lens.

My question is, should I send it back and buy the CalMAN-enhanced Spider 3, or super glue a tripod mount to the Display 2?
How important is the direct lens method? Will I get an accurate calibration with the D2 pointed at the screen?

In other words, is the upgrade to Spyder 3 worth the minor hassle of exchanging products through the mail, or just work with what I have?
Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeks77 View Post

I received an X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 with CalMAN for Christmas. I want to use it for many display types, but the most important to me is my front projector.

CurtPalme.com says that the CalMAN-enhanced Spyder 3 is a better unit for projectors due to lack of a tripod mount on the D2 and the diffuser not being great for taking measurements directly from the lens.

My question is, should I send it back and buy the CalMAN-enhanced Spider 3, or super glue a tripod mount to the Display 2?
How important is the direct lens method? Will I get an accurate calibration with the D2 pointed at the screen?

In other words, is the upgrade to Spyder 3 worth the minor hassle of exchanging products through the mail, or just work with what I have?
Thank you for your help

The Spyder3's we are getting currently don't have a tripod mount, so I would stay with the D2. Your D2 will work just fine with reading off of the screen and you will get the most accurate readings that way. On our forums we have many examples on how to tripod mount a D2.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Will the X rite eye one display LT be able to do the same job as the eye 2 to a certain point or what is the Eye 1 missing????

Ralph
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The guide said the only difference is the software it comes with. Hope this is the case cause I ordered the LT.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift02 View Post

The guide said the only difference is the software it comes with. Hope this is the case cause I ordered the LT.

More specifically, the differences are in the x-rite i1Match software ... which is only significant if you also want to profile/calibrate computer monitors using ICC a/o LUT table methods.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

How about a front Projector LCD????

Ralph
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

How about a front Projector LCD????

No, I'd rather keep my DILA projector.

Actually the i1-LT worked fine on my old AE3000. Some software allows you to take measurements facing the screen and then the same ones facing the projector with the difuser in place (gives more light to the sensor). Then it creates an offset so you can work facing the projector with diffuser, which helps keep the levels high enough to avoid poor low light readings.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Kelvin1965S;17932773]No, I'd rather keep my DILA projector.

Actually the i1-LT worked fine on my old AE3000. Some software allows you to take measurements facing the screen and then the same ones facing the projector with the difuser in place (gives more light to the sensor). Then it creates an offset so you can work facing the projector with diffuser, which helps keep the levels high enough to avoid poor low light readings.[/QUOTE

Pardon my stupidity but what is a difuser? so what you are saying is that the Eye 1 Lt is good enough to use and that you can place it towards the screen, by the way had your projector AE3000 and decided to upgrade, I think I did anyway's.

Ralph
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page