post #151 of 156 Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Scenic Labs
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Extra wire clips wouldn't do any good for my set up because the main problem is the bulge at the very end makes the adhesive lift up. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly...My double sided tape is only doing a decent job. After a few days it is slightly lifting again. Hopefully the gaffer tape will do better. Wonder if you could modify the very end to be flatter for future release? It would probably help along with a slightly stronger adhesive for difficult surfaces like mine. Could you please elaborate more on the back of my TV being white and could cause colour shift? Thanks!!
Actually, I've been giving your situation some thought. What I'd probably do is to use a 90 degree fold in the strip -- made of two 45 degree folds. Just have to space it between the resistor (marked 151) and the diode. Here's what I'm thinking (attached). There'd be no strain on the wire as it would fall in line with gravity, and perhaps just use a wire clip to keep it in place.

I looked at having L-shaped connectors, but they become a liability in some situations and are definitely a challenge to pack. We also looked at including reels to store the strips as found on some of the cheap LED strips on the market. What we found is that those usually have only a few feet of USB cable and also, they need to be rolled since they can't be folded (due to dipping them in silicone -- basically they are indoor/outdoor/aquarium lights). Going with a thinner gauge wire is also a potential problem.

(I do have L-shaped USB plugs, both left and right orientation for those who need them, though). The pack with the gaffer tape will go out today. I think that the thing with gaffer tape is you need to use a pretty good amount to get the necessary surface area on some surfaces, so definitely larger than these pieces of adhesive tape.

One customer built a cool mount for his TV, which had a scalloped back. I really liked it a lot. I'll attach a photo of that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6652.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1625657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160824_192239.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1625665  

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Digital Video Essentials & Spears & Munsil Benchmark (taking over from OPPO in late November 2016).
Maker of The MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 08-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Forgot to add the bit about colour shifts. We found that bias lights on white PCB were always a bit skewed in colour temperature and traced it to the white surface not being 100% neutral. For that reason, we only use black PCB. So, it's certainly possible that a white surface would also be more active than a black surface. I don't think you have to worry much as we're talking about modest shifts. I'd be more concerned if the back of the TV was red.

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Publisher of Digital Video Essentials & Spears & Munsil Benchmark (taking over from OPPO in late November 2016).
post #153 of 156 Old 08-28-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
...I think that the thing with gaffer tape is you need to use a pretty good amount to get the necessary surface area on some surfaces, so definitely larger than these pieces of adhesive tape....
When you MUST have the best:

https://www.facebook.com/FiberFix/vi...8073180372333/
post #154 of 156 Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
Actually, I've been giving your situation some thought. What I'd probably do is to use a 90 degree fold in the strip -- made of two 45 degree folds. Just have to space it between the resistor (marked 151) and the diode. Here's what I'm thinking (attached). There'd be no strain on the wire as it would fall in line with gravity, and perhaps just use a wire clip to keep it in place.

I looked at having L-shaped connectors, but they become a liability in some situations and are definitely a challenge to pack. We also looked at including reels to store the strips as found on some of the cheap LED strips on the market. What we found is that those usually have only a few feet of USB cable and also, they need to be rolled since they can't be folded (due to dipping them in silicone -- basically they are indoor/outdoor/aquarium lights). Going with a thinner gauge wire is also a potential problem.

(I do have L-shaped USB plugs, both left and right orientation for those who need them, though). The pack with the gaffer tape will go out today. I think that the thing with gaffer tape is you need to use a pretty good amount to get the necessary surface area on some surfaces, so definitely larger than these pieces of adhesive tape.

One customer built a cool mount for his TV, which had a scalloped back. I really liked it a lot. I'll attach a photo of that as well.
I have readjusted my tape position and I'll see if it helps before I try other alternatives. If it doesn't work out then I'll try the gaffer tape then the 90 degree fold. Pretty cool customer's pic! Thank you!!
post #155 of 156 Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 AM

That FiberFix stuff is tempting. Too bad I can't create a just-add-water bracket (like the one in the recent customer photo) that would fit inside the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
post #156 of 156 Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 PM

OK, I actually checked into the adhesives a bit. I could replace the current 3m adhesive with VHB adhesive, which is used to attach car emblems. It says that it was also used in the construction of the Burj Khalifa! . The only problem is that it's going to be nearly impossible to remove. It's definitely going to leave a mark, assuming you can ever scrape it off. I'm thinking that perhaps I'd offer this as an option for those who want to add it to their shopping cart, but would need to include some sort of waiver. Seems a bit like bringing an elephant gun to a knife fight.

Actually, it sounds like you can hang a TV with this tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_07092016_094250.png
Views:	25
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1647041  

Jason Rosenfeld
Scenic Labs, LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page