The VideoEq -- A low cost external grayscale/gamma/cms tool - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To add to what bodosom said, there are basically no comments on the CMS functionality (or the VideoEQ itself) because no one has had a chance to really use it yet. While the EAP people have all been released from our NDA's, we never had any tools that made it feasible to really create and edit LUT's to affect the grayscale, let alone anything to do with CMS. So, until people start getting the new units and the software that goes along with it, I think how easy and usable it is will remain somewhat of an unknown. With that said, based on the demos I've seen and the descriptions I've read, I'm optimistic about how things will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Hi everybody,
I'm a DIY calibration newbie so please be gentle.
I've had a look through this thread, and through the info on CurtPalme and couldn't see anything specific to this question... so here goes.

The VideoEQ gives you extended control of both the primary and secondary colors that your display might not, mapping colors correctly in the REC709 color space.
What happens to your displays existing color/tint/hue/gamma/etc controls? Do these go back to a default (neutral) setting and then left alone? Or do you need to adjust both the display AND the VideoEQ?

Michael.

Port Lincoln
South Australia

I love watching movies!

HT Flickr Page

post #93 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCarey View Post

What happens to your displays existing color/tint/hue/gamma/etc controls?

It's up to you. Some people recommend calibrating the display and then doing final tweaks with an external box others say use only the box if possible. Obviously just using the external processor requires some default mode that is correctable with the external CMS.

If the VEq is as easy to use as has been suggested I'd go with picking the most accurate built-in mode and then doing everything in the VEq. Of the products I have direct experience with only my 9G Kuro has reasonable controls.
post #94 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM

It would seem to me that the logical thing would be to calibrate the display to the
best of it's ability then use the use the Video Eq to make final adjustments. The
least amount of external processing would lessen the chances of introducing any
unwanted effects.
post #95 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

One thing to bear in mind is that you really don't want to use something like a Spyder3 or a Display2 for detailed CMS work. You really want something like a Chroma 5 of i1 Pro to have the increased accuracy away from white/gray. While we do like to pay our mortgages, we also don't want to steer people wrong if we can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahull View Post

It would seem to me that the logical thing would be to calibrate the display to the
best of it's ability then use the use the Video Eq to make final adjustments. The
least amount of external processing would lessen the chances of introducing any
unwanted effects.

This is good general advice for almost all video processing. There will be specific instances when a minor change can be worse than a larger change due to the integer math involved and its attendant problems with rounding, but those issues are situation and implementation dependent.

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #96 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

It's up to you. Some people recommend calibrating the display and then doing final tweaks with an external box others say use only the box if possible. Obviously just using the external processor requires some default mode that is correctable with the external CMS.

If the VEq is as easy to use as has been suggested I'd go with picking the most accurate built-in mode and then doing everything in the VEq. Of the products I have direct experience with only my 9G Kuro has reasonable controls.

You want to do as much in the display as you can first.

since there is an 8 bit link (typically) between the videoEQ and the TV and most TV's have at least 10, most have 12 or even 14 bit processing and some event have 10 bit panels. You want to do as much processing at higher bit depths as you can.

Of course every TV has it's own idoscyncrosies, so the rules are almsot never hard and fast, just more of a guideline.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #97 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Of course every TV has it's own idoscyncrosies, so the rules are almsot never hard and fast, just more of a guideline.

My personal feelings tend toward one end of the scale.

Here's why:
Kevin McCarthy said:
Quote:

If they interacted like the first rev of the RS20 CMS, with all but a few experts baffled by the interactions of the controls

and my previous (Panasonic) plasma required opening the service menu to make minimally effective grayscale adjustments and then required leaving the service menu to measure. Naturally to leave the SM you had to turn the power off. The only gamma control was selecting modes which allowed you to be in the same order of magnitude as your target. Consider the "Pro" Panasonics. Any reasonable gamma you want as long as it's 2.2, 2.5 or 2.6. Even my Kuro, which Pioneers says will go from 1.6 to 2.4 by tenths doesn't.

Now when all those vendors with a real CMS in the display expose some hooks for CalMAN to use I'm sure I'll jump right on the bandwagon. Until then I'll probably continue to convertly pimp for Lumagen who says "Leave the driving to us."

All the above ranting aside I agree that the you should do as much as you and your display are reasonably able in your display. I just have a very low tolerance for futzing around with uncooperative controls and lying vendors.
post #98 of 714 Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

and my previous (Panasonic) plasma required opening the service menu to make minimally effective grayscale adjustments and then required leaving the service menu to measure. Naturally to leave the SM you had to turn the power off. The only gamma control was selecting modes which allowed you to be in the same order of magnitude as your target. Consider the "Pro" Panasonics.

Hah, I just got through calibrating and old Toshiba 720p plasma yesterday that required me to do the same thing. Cuts/drives in the service menu and it used lord knows what settings whilst in there so you couldn't measure. Luckily, I didn't have to power off the unit to get out of the service menu. But this thing has zero gamma controls and no matter how low I bring down the contrast, the gamma curve is a misnomer, its more of a gamma sawtooth! Also, it suffers from some pretty bad green push. This videoEq seems like the device to solve all my problems but I'll be honest, dropping a grand is no easy pill to swallow.
post #99 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsen View Post

Padded with what? Zeros? Zeros are literally nothing. Padded with information'? Where and how did one get this information' to pad with if it wasn't ever in the source?

You could pad it with a 1000 bits of zeroes and it would still only have 8-bits of information and 220 valid Y steps if the original source material was 8-bit 4:2:0.

I'd expect zero-padded 8-bit video to behave exactly like 8-bit video. No reduction or elimination of any banding.

Dave

I have been looking for possible LCD replacements for my color accurate Sony Artisian (GDM-C520K) and the somewhat lesser LaCie Electron Blue IV (OEM Mits 2070SB) trinitron CRT monitors. One that has monitor popped up is the very expensive Hewlett-Packard LP2480zx DreamColor 24" IPS RGB LED backlight panel. In addition to view the monitor in person, I also check web-sites/forums for other users views and comments who have purchased or used this HP product.

One forum which has Hewlett Packard support personnel from the HP LP2480zx group is CreativeCOW.net, and a particular reply message from an HP employee Dan Bennett indicated something interesting about said HP LP2480zx when it comes to 8/10/12 bit-ness:

Quote:

In fact, the discussions on REDuser (which I will try to get onto) are wrong in another respect: The processing is at 36 bits (12 per channel), not 30. Therefore, there are two paths to blessing, as it were:

1 - 8-bit pixels are color-transformed with 12-bit math and sent to the 10-bit panel. This reduces color error / increases color accuracy. And the 12-bit math helps to ensure that you don't get similar colors collapsing to the same color, for example.

2 - 10-bit pixels (when you get that 10-bit graphics card!) are passed straight through to the panel; at least in "Full" mode. Of course, in a color managed mode such as Rec 709, there'll be some reduction of the monitor's native color space to map onto the Rec 709 color space, which means that not all 1.07 billion colors are available. It's hard to say what the real number is, but if you imagine, say, 800-900 million it wouldn't be too far off. Still much better than an 8-bit panel. :-)

Funny that Hewlett-Packard seems to like using those useless extra padding zeros for 8-bit input on their premiere 10-bit color-accurate display...

Now as to the gamma issue you discussed in reference to direct view CRTs in a previous posting above:

Quote:

Quote:
Sony provided studies that proved optimally calibrated CRTs in their native state are 2.2 gamma and have HDTV primaries.

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard provided studies and computations to prove that gamma 2.2 is very close to a perceptually uniform lightness scale for display viewing conditions. The mathematics illustrating this can be found on the Hewlett-Packard sRGB web site at http://www.srgb.com

Quote:
Taken together, these factors led to the conclusion that sRGB should be defined by a D65 white point, HDTV primaries, and a gamma of 2.2. Any other choices would lead to obvious limitations for both consumer and high-end professional workflows.

Well, since someone is referencing Hewlett-Packard as a gamma authority when it comes to displays, let us see what else Hewlett-Packard says on the matter. There is what Hewlett-Packard says, and what Hewlett-Packard does... I thought this other posting by another HP LP2480zx group support person on the same thread was interesting.

Quote:

Regarding the 2.2 gamma. Certainly that's the recommended gamma for Windows XP, but there's no reason you can't use another if you prefer. The key is to make sure you match what your target is. For example, after the initial release we tweaked the factory calibration for Rec.709 to raise the gamma slightly from the standard 2.2. The reason we did this is that we placed the monitor side by side with Sony BVM tube monitors and worked to match the actual response of the monitor. That resulted in a slightly higher gamma than 2.2.

So after the initial product launch of the HP LP2480zx DreamColor monitor, some feedback from post-production houses and others must have led the design team to 'tweek' the reference Rec.709 2.2 gamma. So if Sony stated that calibrated native CRT gamma is 2.2 and the HP LP2480zx came out of the chute at a Rec.709 calibrated gamma of 2.2, then what exactly was the gamma of the Sony BVMs used as a real-world model to modify the gamma response curve to be 'slightly' higher on the HP LP2480zx?

The world wonders...

dvwjr
post #100 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

This videoEq seems like the device to solve all my problems but I'll be honest, dropping a grand is no easy pill to swallow.

I like to think about much money one saves by not getting an XS.
post #101 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not wishing to fire up the whole >8 bits thing again, but I picked up a secondhand DVDO Edge today on the UK forums. Although it might not be as flexible as my Lumagen HDQ it will at least allow direct connection using HDMI cables (rather than DVI>HDMI) and if I understand correctly, it will at least allow me to try feeding my VideoEQ Pro with 10 or 12 bit signal to see for myself if it looks any better doing that. I hope to be able to sell the HDQ otherwise I'll have 3 VP/CMS devices and the total cost would be well on the way to the used price of a Radience I saw a while ago...

In order to know if I've got the settings correct it is just a matter of looking at the 'info' screen on my HD350 as it currently shows 8 bit under the 'deep colour' part on the menu?

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #102 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwjr View Post

So after the initial product launch of the HP LP2480zx DreamColor monitor, some feedback from post-production houses and others must have led the design team to 'tweek' the reference Rec.709 2.2 gamma. So if Sony stated that calibrated native CRT gamma is 2.2 and the HP LP2480zx came out of the chute at a Rec.709 calibrated gamma of 2.2, then what exactly was the gamma of the Sony BVMs used as a real-world model to modify the gamma response curve to be 'slightly' higher on the HP LP2480zx?

The world wonders...

Measurements from ARIB TR-B28v1.1, taken with an SR-UL1 puts them around 2.4 gamma. The EBU's testing has them recommending 2.35.

For people asking what the VideoEQ can do, here's a few examples from my CRT.

Fight Club:

Another from Fight Club, over-exposed a bit though. (not this bright onscreen)

Pitch Black. (also over-exposed from the look of things)

Camera settings are the same for both shots.

The shots on the left are when my CRT is set so that video black = black, with no consideration made for shadow detail the only way to make it more visible is to raise the black level. (and it is still not well defined when you do this)

There is also no real control over the low end of the greyscale on this CRT so you can see that it's strongly discoloured.

The shots on the right are with brightness set to zero on the CRT (lower than the shots on the left) and my custom LUT. (incidentally, it turned out that I was better just using one point at 4%stim, one at 100% and then calculating a straight line between them from 1-109%)

The CRT is not normally as bad without the VideoEQ as it looks in the photographs (the shadow detail is still there, just very dark) but in comparison it is a huge difference.

These are particularly dark scenes thoughthere's not as much of a difference in brighter scenes as the CRT was fine on its own there.

As good as these results are though, I'm still not sure about it. The posterisation really does bother me. If you are used to flat panels/digital projectors it probably won't, or you may not even notice it. Going from nothing (other than what is in the source itself) to the amount the VideoEQ introduces is quite obvious though.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Not wishing to fire up the whole >8 bits thing again, but I picked up a secondhand DVDO Edge today on the UK forums. Although it might not be as flexible as my Lumagen HDQ it will at least allow direct connection using HDMI cables (rather than DVI>HDMI) and if I understand correctly, it will at least allow me to try feeding my VideoEQ Pro with 10 or 12 bit signal to see for myself if it looks any better doing that. I hope to be able to sell the HDQ otherwise I'll have 3 VP/CMS devices and the total cost would be well on the way to the used price of a Radience I saw a while ago...

In order to know if I've got the settings correct it is just a matter of looking at the 'info' screen on my HD350 as it currently shows 8 bit under the 'deep colour' part on the menu?

It's annoying, because I sold my EDGE to pay for the VideoEQ, and it now turns out that it would probably be best if I had both. That said though, I had a lot of problems with Deep Color on the EDGE. On any of the displays I tried, it would only output 8-bit. Some people did get it working, but it seems that it didn't on quite a lot of displays.

For what it's worth, I had a Radiance and did not find it acceptable. Even without using the greyscale/CMS correction, it was introducing posterisation into the image if I remember correctly. (and as far as I am aware, they still haven't implemented some of the features I had bought it for)
post #103 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments Andrew. I think I must belong in the 'not too bothered by posturisation' camp as I've been using my HDQ for greyscale, gamma and (limited) colour gamut correction. Even now I'm still using it with the greyscale settings at default (so no greyscale or gamma correction) but with the 'gamut' control active. Jeff off the UK forums mentioned banding when I first got the HDQ and worked on the colour gamut, but I never noticed it (and I've just got new glasses too ).

Perhaps I won't benefit from using the Edge wrt > 8 bits, but it will simplify my setup anyway due to the HDMI priority switching and other details such as better deinterlacing. I just hope I don't miss the upscaling of the HDQ and other flexibility such as masking, etc as I don't want to have keep both.

post #104 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick View Post

to add to what bodosom said, there are basically no comments on the cms functionality (or the videoeq itself) because no one has had a chance to really use it yet. While the eap people have all been released from our nda's, we never had any tools that made it feasible to really create and edit lut's to affect the grayscale, let alone anything to do with cms. So, until people start getting the new units and the software that goes along with it, i think how easy and usable it is will remain somewhat of an unknown. With that said, based on the demos i've seen and the descriptions i've read, i'm optimistic about how things will work.

+1.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #105 of 714 Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwjr View Post

I have been looking for possible LCD replacements for my color accurate Sony Artisian (GDM-C520K) and the somewhat lesser LaCie Electron Blue IV (OEM Mits 2070SB) trinitron CRT monitors. One that has monitor popped up is the very expensive Hewlett-Packard LP2480zx DreamColor 24" IPS RGB LED backlight panel. In addition to view the monitor in person, I also check web-sites/forums for other users views and comments who have purchased or used this HP product.

One forum which has Hewlett Packard support personnel from the HP LP2480zx group is CreativeCOW.net, and a particular reply message from an HP employee Dan Bennett indicated something interesting about said HP LP2480zx when it comes to 8/10/12 bit-ness:

Funny that Hewlett-Packard seems to like using those useless extra padding zeros for 8-bit input on their premiere 10-bit color-accurate display...

In defense of Dave, this is different than the advantages of more than 8-bits we were talking about with regards to processing.

You don't need more than 8-bits to maintain 8-bit quality as long as you're not re-mapping levels or other similar processing on the video.

However, you do need more than 8-bits when you de-gamma to and move to a linear space to equal 8-bit. In fact you need the equivalent of about 11 bits linear to completely match what non-linear 8-bit provides, in my understanding. So this need is not just roughly equivalent of "padding: 8-bit to more bits, because there is also a de-gamma LUT involved, and if you do an 8-bit nonlinear ->LUT -> 8-bit linear the damage there is actually enormously severe because 8-bit linear is vastly inferior to 8-bit nonlinear. And that operation is not just similar to 'padding' it to a greater bit-depth because there's a whole LUT step involved. However, in the previous discussion, when you start messing with CMS stuff and gamma, you are essentially applying a LUT, though far less severe since you're not attempting to de-gamma yet but just tweak things, so there is a need for more bits to do that cleanly without degrading the effective bit-depth of the content, but it is a slightly different situation that in my opinion is far less damaging if done only in 8-bit, even though I consider it unacceptable. But my bar of "acceptable" is rather high.

Quote:

Now as to the gamma issue you discussed in reference to direct view CRTs in a previous posting above:

Well, since someone is referencing Hewlett-Packard as a gamma authority when it comes to displays, let us see what else Hewlett-Packard says on the matter. There is what Hewlett-Packard says, and what Hewlett-Packard does... I thought this other posting by another HP LP2480zx group support person on the same thread was interesting.

The world wonders...

dvwjr

We have to recognize that the appropriate gamma depends on the viewing environment, and there is an assumed difference between a graphics-viewing environment with more significant lighting compared to a rather dim or completely dark film-viewing environment, the latter requiring a higher end-to-end gamma, and if the encode gamma is the same (presumably Rec709) that then means that a relatively higher display gamma(than you'd want for graphics in a different standard viewing environment) is needed to achieve that subjectively required higher end-to-end.
post #106 of 714 Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about which software you are using with the VideoEQ Pro: I'm using Chromapure as I find it is really easy to use for colour gamut work (compared to HFCR which I started off with). Unfortunately I am unable to do the CMS work just yet as I'm upgrading to the Pro model from the EAP version I have now so I'm without any VideoEQ as of today.

With the Pro model you can control the CMS settings in real time using a remote (though I don't think on is supplied so you need to use a Pronto or Harmony - I have the later). Or using the USB port and a PC to control the settings via supplied software, again in real time AFAIK.

Sure the fully automatted process would be slicker, but given that the VideoEQ Pro doesn't seem to have the interaction between colours in the CMS, then I expect the process to be relatively straightforward (compared to early HD750 CMS for example): Assuming the greyscale and gamma is already adjusted to satifaction, I'd adjust each colour in turn for hue, saturation and brightness first, then recheck. I actually wonder if there will be much need for a second pass (though I'd maybe recheck at 75% if I calibrate at 100% or visa versa just to achieve consistant results).

As I've already got my greyscale and gamma sorted using just the HD350's controls, I will probably just concentrate on using the VEQ for CMS work, perhaps saving custom settings with different gamma curves, but sharing the same CMS settings, so I can select between perhaps 2.2 gamma and maybe 2.4/2.5 gamma depending on the content.

I can't wait for my 'Pro to come now.

Hi, I have HD350 too and i am eager to reed some practical experiences with the Pro, post something as soon as you get and test it, please. I too wonder if to buy Pro, but to me a grand is still load of money.There was word about posterisation introduced by VideoEq, i use HD350 with the Dune 3.0 Prime player and i see something similar with this combination(in some fast movements i see sharp edged mapping patters mostly on faces of people...best to see on noses), is this problem of the HD350 or Dune ?
post #107 of 714 Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkron View Post

Hi, I have HD350 too and i am eager to reed some practical experiences with the Pro, post something as soon as you get and test it, please. I too wonder if to buy Pro, but to me a grand is still load of money.There was word about posterisation introduced by VideoEq, i use HD350 with the Dune 3.0 Prime player and i see something similar with this combination(in some fast movements i see sharp edged mapping patters mostly on faces of people...best to see on noses), is this problem of the HD350 or Dune ?

I will do, but I've only just sent my beta unit back for an upgrade to the Pro version, I don't think I'll see it for a few weeks at least.

I don't think your issue is particular to the HD350 as it's not something I've noticed myself (currently using a Lumagen HDQ for colour 'mitigation'). Have you got the sharpness and/or detail enhace turned up on the HD350? Try them at default settings (5 and 10 I think) to see if it solves the issue. I'm not familar with the Dune 3.0 player (it sounds more like a computer program?).

I intend to post some charts once I get mine, to show how the CMS correction measures up.

post #108 of 714 Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I will do, but I've only just sent my beta unit back for an upgrade to the Pro version, I don't think I'll see it for a few weeks at least.

I don't think your issue is particular to the HD350 as it's not something I've noticed myself (currently using a Lumagen HDQ for colour 'mitigation'). Have you got the sharpness and/or detail enhace turned up on the HD350? Try them at default settings (5 and 10 I think) to see if it solves the issue. I'm not familar with the Dune 3.0 player (it sounds more like a computer program?).

I intend to post some charts once I get mine, to show how the CMS correction measures up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175778 , this muss be some upscaling problem(i seen this only on 720p material), hopefully FW correctable(i have never seen this with Twix 6500 media player which is based on a older Sigma chip). When i reset sharpness and detail enhance on the HD350, it falls to 0 on both...Back to topic : i really need something to tame the primaries and secondaries, the JVCs neon greens and yellows are brutal in some movies, even i had color set to -7
post #109 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is the VideoEQ firmware upgradeable ? Can the "features" be upgraded in the future ?

Scott.................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #110 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Is the VideoEQ firmware upgradeable ? Can the "features" be upgraded in the future ?

Scott.................

Yes, as a Beta tester, the first thing I did after plugging it in the first time was to update the firmware (as they'd discovered a small glitch). There is a mini usb socket on the back, you need the driver installed on your PC to do this.

post #111 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the VideoEQ firmware upgradeable?

Yes, although not all possible changes can be made in the field.
post #112 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

What Kevin says is correct, the firmware in the VideoEQ units is indeed upgradeable. However, the question of what features can be added in the future, while related, is a different issue. Assuming that the hardware in the unit is capable, it would be possible to add features via firmware. The question is whether the hardware would be capable of additional features. Those of us with beta units required updated hardware in order to accommodate the new CMS features. The impression I get from Spectracal is that there are some things that could not be added to the current VideoEQ units because the units are intentionally very simple--no scaling, conversion, or anything else other than applying the LUTs. Anyway, I hope that helps! If you're looking for a specific feature to be added, I'd be inclined to e-mail one of the Spectracal guys directly.
post #113 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Scott.................

Yes the firmware can and is upgradeable. But as others have pointed out we have limited processing and memory with our design. We don't use a frame buffer so no lip-sync but work on the data stream directly. So as long as the new feature does not require a frame buffer or more processing power then we have then yes we can and do plan on adding features. For instants one feature we are adding is turning all the front panel led's on/off via USB and IR.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #114 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks gentlemen , quick and informative replies from all .

I just wish the special offer was a little bit longer . It's going to be a little tight trying to pull this off , on my end , before the offer runs out .

Scott......................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #115 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

..... one feature we are adding is turning all the front panel led's on/off via USB and IR.

Yes, please!!
______
Axel

post #116 of 714 Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Yes, please!!
______
Axel

Electrical tape. Like 79 cents. Jus' sayin.
post #117 of 714 Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Forgive me, I know this is incredibly simplistic I've got an RS1, so obviously need some help. If I buy the Pro + Calman + some sensor that I need to decide on, is it really going to be as easy as set it up, turn it on, and it's going to fix it for me?
post #118 of 714 Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

Forgive me, I know this is incredibly simplistic I've got an RS1, so obviously need some help. If I buy the Pro + Calman + some sensor that I need to decide on, is it really going to be as easy as set it up, turn it on, and it's going to fix it for me?

There is a step missing in between. It should say: "set it up, turn it on, calibrate it, and it's going to fix it for me.

This is not an automatic, self calibrating tool (yet?). From what I gathered it may be down the road with some advanced Calman s/w, yet to be released.
Right now the only thing the box will give us is the technical capability to dial in grey scale, primaries, etc.; however based on the settings the USER determines.
(Maybe I should not have said 'only thing'. Being able to get the colors dialed in properly is in fact a big deal for me and my RS10. That's why I went with the EAP/Pro box.
____
Axel

post #119 of 714 Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

What Axel said is absolutely right, you will still have to understand calibration to some extent. It isn't automatic. Assuming that you have an understanding of how to calibrate though, it is supposed to be fairly easy to make the necessary adjustments. So far nobody has actually seen the new interface for the box yet, so we don't really know how easy it actually is, but everything I've seen about it so far has indicated that it will be pretty simple for people with a basic understanding of calibration. I'll let you know when I get my unit back in a couple weeks.
post #120 of 714 Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Electrical tape.

Ah, not so much. A less ugly solution I've used is post-it note bookmarks. The first thing I said about the box was wow, those are some bright leds so I'm also glad they're doing the right thing.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page