DTP-94 problems on Windows 7 64-bit w/ ColorHCFR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those of you like me who have a DTP-94 and recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit I should warn you that you might run into a bit of a problem. Although Xrite's DTP-94 Driver Page says that it works for Vista 64bit, when I tried to install this driver on my Dell Latitude D630 with Win7 64-bit, it gave me a bluescreen of death (BSOD)! A bit of searching shows that I am not the only one with this bluescreen problem, although some people are able to get the DTP-94 to work on Win7 64-bit.

One thing I realized is that even if I got the DTP-94 to work with this new driver (called XrUsb64.sys) I still have the problem in that ColorHCFR specifically wants the older XdsIII.dll driver when the meter is set to DTP-94. I do not believe it is (currently) possible to tell ColorHCFR to look for another driver file; please let me know if this is incorrect.

However, there is a solution! If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise edition you can download Windows Virtual PC for free and enable XP Mode. You then install ColorHCFR and the older Monaco Software inside XP Mode. Once that's done, plugin the DTP-94, you'll notice that the Win7 desktop still complains it cant find the right driver for it, but all you need to do is go to "USB" at the top of the XP Mode virtual Window, click on "USB" then select the X-rite DTP-94 and tell it to "Attach". This will then prompt XP-Mode to look for the driver and this time it will automatically find and install the 32-bit Monaco driver. Finally, copy over XdsIII.dll from your Monaco folder over to the ColorHCFR folder and everything should work!

*Note, if you no longer have the older Monaco software or you bought the DTP-94 bare you can find the the XdsIII.dll bundled in with the Coloreyes Pro Demo Software. It's located in the root install directory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM

Liked: 10
Happened to me with RC1, and I also used XPMode, but when I installed Windows 7 release and reinstalled the Vista 64 bit drivers, the DTP-94 started working in HCFR running as a 32 bit application on the 64 bit OS. I have no idea why it worked, but it did.

Big problem with XPMode and HCFR is that by default, the XPMode desktop is limited to 16 bit color and there may be some rendering issues with the CIE chart. If you do a registry hack, you can increase the screen to 24 bit.

Voyager6
post #3 of 29 Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys

Is this a better meter than the Eye One Display 2?

I heard great things in the past but have software concerns, etc?

Does it work with HCFR (sp) (free software)

thx

bob
post #4 of 29 Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post

Big problem with XPMode and HCFR is that by default, the XPMode desktop is limited to 16 bit color and there may be some rendering issues with the CIE chart. If you do a registry hack, you can increase the screen to 24 bit.

Aha! After I wrote this post I noticed that the CIE chart did not render the white point calculations as well as the primary/secondary points. As for the reg hack, I assume THIS is the one you followed?

Also, I've tried every way to Sunday to get these 64bit drivers to work and each and every time I get a BSOD. Some people think it has to do with not enough USB power for the DTP-94 but I don't think that's true as it worked fine on Vista 32-bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Is this a better meter than the Eye One Display 2?
I heard great things in the past but have software concerns, etc?
Does it work with HCFR (sp) (free software)

Yes it is a better meter than the Eye one Display 2 and ColorHCFR has supported this meter long before the Eye one. Read this link to see some hard evidence as to why it's better. What's nice is that you can get a brand new bare DTP-94 from the Coloreyes people for only $150, look here.

As long as you have a 32-bit OS it will definitely work, although you will need to find the XdsIII.dll file as I mentioned above (google search for it). And if you have the 64-bit version like me, you may have problems running it nativity but it works just fine in XP Mode, even better now with the reg hack.

*Edit: I just did a bit of searching and found that you can find the the XdsIII.dll bundled in with the Coloreyes Pro Demo Software. It's located in the root install directory.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

Aha! After I wrote this post I noticed that the CIE chart did not render the white point calculations as well as the primary/secondary points. As for the reg hack, I assume THIS is the one you followed?

Also, I've tried every way to Sunday to get these 64bit drivers to work and each and every time I get a BSOD. Some people think it has to do with not enough USB power for the DTP-94 but I don't think that's true as it worked fine on Vista 32-bit.

Yes it is a better meter than the Eye one Display 2 and ColorHCFR has supported this meter long before the Eye one. Read this link to see some hard evidence as to why it's better. What's nice is that you can get a brand new bare DTP-94 from the Coloreyes people for only $150, look here.

As long as you have a 32-bit OS it will definitely work, although you will need to find the XdsIII.dll file as I mentioned above (google search for it). And if you have the 64-bit version like me, you may have problems running it nativity but it works just fine in XP Mode, even better now with the reg hack.

*Edit: I just did a bit of searching and found that you can find the the XdsIII.dll bundled in with the Coloreyes Pro Demo Software. It's located in the root install directory.

I ordered the DPT-94.

Just to be clear: With Vista Home 32, I will need the XdsIII.dll?

Where do I put it?

thx

bob
post #6 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, you will always need XdsIII.dll with ColorHCFR (at least with the current version). You put it in the same directory as the ColorHCFR.exe.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, you will always need XdsIII.dll with ColorHCFR (at least with the current version). You put it in the same directory as the ColorHCFR.exe.

Thanks,

Kal on Curtpalme is concerned that an unused 3 year old sensor could be way out of calibration so now I'm a little worried. I do have a 10 day return privilege. I guess it will be obvious if it's way out?

thx

bob
post #8 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is at least 4 years old and although I don't have a reference meter to compare it to, it did exceptionally well this past weekend when I calibrated my Plasma again. I did store the DTP-94 in a nice dark place with very little humidity.

Personally, if I were to get another meter that was not a DTP-94, I would upgrade to a Chroma5.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM

spongebob and Siegex,

I'm in the south Bay area myself. I have a 1 month old i1 Display LT. If you want to swap the meters with me briefly for comparison test, PM me. I noticed some change in my grayscale results over last month and still haven't figured out if it's the TV or the meter.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoh00 View Post

spongebob and Siegex,

I'm in the south Bay area myself. I have a 1 month old i1 Display LT. If you want to swap the meters with me briefly for comparison test, PM me. I noticed some change in my grayscale results over last month and still haven't figured out if it's the TV or the meter.

Cool!

PM sent

bob
post #11 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Cool!

PM sent

bob

I don't see any PM from you so far. Hmm, maybe the PM system is down?
post #12 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoh00 View Post

I don't see any PM from you so far. Hmm, maybe the PM system is down?

Second time is a charm

thx

bob
post #13 of 29 Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Problem using DTP94 with HCFR

I am having problems using DTP94 with HCFR.
I have been trying to make DTP94 work with HCFR but get error everytime I try to configure the sensor. I have Downloaded drivers for Vista and XP and device manager shows DTP94 as installed on both vista and xp machine. I can use DTP94 with Monaco software on both machines with no problems. I have coppied the XdsIII.dll in the main ColorHCFR directory. With a clean install of everything, I can get the Measure->sensor->configure work for one time *only first time* but then I start getting error. Some time it says "an error occurred", and some times "cannot open logical connection to DTP device". What am i doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. I am using 32Bit XP professional and XDSIII.dll version is 1.2.0.0. Thanks.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I get this same problem when running ColorHCFR in Virtual PC's 'XP Mode'. As you said, you can go do the sensor calibration but as soon as you try to then do an actual measurement reading you get an error. This problem seems to be intermittent, most of the time it will error but sometimes it won't. You'll need to unplug the DTP-94 and then restart ColorHCFR and try again. It's almost as if ColorHCFR does not properly release the handler to the DTP-94 once its done doing a calibration such that subsequent measurements fail. You should be able to do a measurement without first doing the calibration but then without the calibration the data is not trustworthy.

I actually decided to forgo the 'XP Mode' and installed ColorHCFR on my wife's notebook which runs the 32-bit version of Win7 Pro. This has so far worked flawlessly. However, one thing you can try that seemed to work (at least once) was to do this:
  1. Take a calibration measurement, wait the 8 seconds then press OK
  2. Immediately take an internal temperature reading. For some reason this never seems to fail and I think it frees up the DTP-94 for further measurements
  3. Do a grayscale or primary/secondary color measurement and cross your fingers that it works

Let us know how that turns out.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

What mode do you set the software to for the dtp-94? LCD? CRT? I don't see a "Plasma" choice.

thx

bob
post #16 of 29 Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using CRT since plasma panels emit their own light much like CRT's. I'm not 100% sure this is correct but sounds reasonable.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM

I have compiled this problem and posted in HCFR thread. I suppose someone knows how to fix DTP94 connection problem. FYI, Here is the link
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17970023
post #18 of 29 Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did that.

Got the sensor today. It was packaged with Monaco Optix Cal software. There is a big warning to install the software first.

Do I really need to do that?

Will Vista 32 find the right drivers?

thx

bob
post #19 of 29 Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

no, you'll have to download the new X-Rite drivers at the link in my first post. Extract the 'drivers' folder of that zip to your desktop. Plugin the DTP-94, Vista/Win7 will not find the drivers but it will offer you the ability to point to where the drivers are. Browse to the 'Driver' folder on your desktop and then it should detect the correct driver for the DTP-94.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys

I got the sensor and ran a few runs with HCFR. The results are way off from the ones from a pro calibration last week.

I need some help with HCFR and initial settings, config, etc.

thx

bob
post #21 of 29 Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the tweaks I do to ColorHCFR before I calibrate my plasma with a DTP-94.

1) Set your Reference to BT.709 (assumes you are using HD test patterns, use Rec.601 otherwise)
2) Set your white point to D65
3) Set your DTP-94 mode to 'CRT'
4) Check the box which tells it to average multiple reads in low light situations (timeout should be at 10000ms)
5) Check the box that tells it to use the internal calibration adjustments
6) Leave your plasma on for ~1hr and have the DTP-94 attached to the screen during this time to warm up with your TV. Having it in the middle of the display is best but if you want to watch TV while it's warming up, putting it to the side is OK
7) Do an internal calibration by placing the DTP-94 inside a DVD case with a black surface and try to block all possible light from reaching the sensor.
8) Redo step #7 every 10-15 minutes
post #22 of 29 Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the tweaks I do to ColorHCFR before I calibrate my plasma with a DTP-94.

1) Set your Reference to BT.709 (assumes you are using HD test patterns, use Rec.601 otherwise)
2) Set your white point to D65
3) Set your DTP-94 mode to 'CRT'
4) Check the box which tells it to average multiple reads in low light situations (timeout should be at 10000ms)
5) Check the box that tells it to use the internal calibration adjustments
6) Leave your plasma on for ~1hr and have the DTP-94 attached to the screen during this time to warm up with your TV. Having it in the middle of the display is best but if you want to watch TV while it's warming up, putting it to the side is OK
7) Do an internal calibration by placing the DTP-94 inside a DVD case with a black surface and try to block all possible light from reaching the sensor.
8) Redo step #7 every 10-15 minutes

Thank You!

Do the calibration from:

"Calibrate internal offsets"?

thx

bob
post #23 of 29 Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds right, its the long horizontal button just above the one where you get the devices current temperature.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

Do I need the driver with the new version of HCFR (3.0.4.0)

thx

bob
post #25 of 29 Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Do I need the driver with the new version of HCFR (3.0.4.0)
thx
bob

Anyone know or have the driver? The file from x-rites site is corrupt.

bob
post #26 of 29 Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Anyone know or have the driver? The file from x-rites site is corrupt.
bob

Try here: http://www.opendll.com/index.php?file-download=xdsiii.dll&arch=32bit&version=1.1.12.1&dsc=XDSIII-%28X-Rite-Device-Services%29-SDK

Yes, it is a 32 bit version but try it anyway.

Larry
post #27 of 29 Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Try here: http://www.opendll.com/index.php?file-download=xdsiii.dll&arch=32bit&version=1.1.12.1&dsc=XDSIII-%28X-Rite-Device-Services%29-SDK
Yes, it is a 32 bit version but try it anyway.
Larry

Thanks, Larry

I actually have 32 bit Vista and XP.

bob
post #28 of 29 Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Larry
I actually have 32 bit Vista and XP.
bob

Still can't get it to work. When I run HCFR, I can push play and get readouts but when I try to do a gray scale run, etc, it say's can't initialize generator.

thx

bob
post #29 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Has anyone tried running XP inside a virtual machine (say VMware Workstation) on Windows 7 and see if it works? In theory this should work:
  1. Install VMware Workstation inside your Windows 7 machine (you have 30 or 60 day trial)
  2. Create a VM inside VMware workstation, and install Windows XP on it (either put the XP CD in, or mount an XP.ISO as cd-rom drive in VMware)
  3. Now you have an XP VM, install the software/driver as needed, exactly as how you would do it on a real XP machine.
  4. Connect the DTP-94 to your windows 7 machine while the XP VM is running.
  5. click one of the icons on the VMware Workstation status bar to ensure the USB device is passed through mode...

If this works, then it will be a setup that can be carried over to even newer operating systems. VMs are great ways to run old software or run software you don't fully trust.

I personally use my old thinkpad laptop running XP as my dedicated calibration PC. You can probably find old laptops dirt cheap on craigslist if you are doing this often. wink.gif
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page