post #181 of 233 Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Works for me (but I use 32-bit versions of Windows).

By the way, the brand of adapter isn't relevant, the chipset is all that matters and most companies appear to use the same one.

There are at least 2 common chipsets used in these gadgets, Prolific and FTDI. Both of mine, unfortunately, use the Prolific chipsets. SpectraCal reports better success with the FTDI ones. I updated the firmware in a friend's DVDO VP50 Pro and found they also insist that only FTDI adapters be used. I tried my adapters and while they connected and started uploading the file, both of them stalled out before completing the update. I had to use my old laptop with serial port to get it done, and it took forever. In retrospect I should have bought adapters that use the FTDI chipset, but how was I to know then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

Both of mine, unfortunately, use the Prolific chipsets.

All of mine (about 8) are Prolific because I mostly use Linux. The only time I've problems with any serial devices is when I use a virtual machine. Of course my reports of trouble are treated with appropriate derision because other folks in similar circumstance have no problems.

I know the people at SpectraCal test a variety of configurations and there are still problems. This what happens with a poorly designed computing platform but that's the price you pay to be able to buy USB adapters from dozens of companies. No one can test all possible configurations.

Of course it's also the price you pay for using "legacy" equipment.
post #183 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

There are at least 2 common chipsets used in these gadgets, Prolific and FTDI. Both of mine, unfortunately, use the Prolific chipsets. SpectraCal reports better success with the FTDI ones. I updated the firmware in a friend's DVDO VP50 Pro and found they also insist that only FTDI adapters be used.

My adapter is Prolific also. The only way I found out was when I loaded the driver, as I could not find any information on the manufacturer's web site. Could anyone give me the name of a known (and hopefully reasonably priced) adapter that they are SURE uses the FTDI chipset AND is known to work properly with CalMAN 4? I will buy that adapter and try again.
post #184 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Could anyone give me the name of a known (and hopefully reasonably priced) adapter that they are SURE uses the FTDI chipset AND is known to work properly with CalMAN 4?

Have you tried the SpectraCal support forums? I suspect you'll get much better answers. Alternatively you could contact SpectraCal support directly.
post #185 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Have you tried the SpectraCal support forums? I suspect you'll get much better answers. Alternatively you could contact SpectraCal support directly.

No, actually I have not. My intention a few weeks back was to compare ChromaPure to CalMAN 4.0 on a level playing field, or as level as possible. That is, what pains I go through for one I am willing to go through for the other. Or, to be more specific, to set up a user preset on my JVC RS-35 from scratch using the same meter and Accupel generator, but different software. So far I have been unable to accomplish that task.

With ChromaPure, all I did was to install the program and use it without reading ANY docs. Everything worked perfectly. I had a few questions, but they were answered without resorting to asking in a forum or contacting Tom directly...all I had to do was to either read a help file (included in the software) or watch one of Tom's video tutorials on his web site. The ONLY thing I could not figure out by myself without help was the procedure on creating an offset file, and watching his 3 or 4 minute video walked me through it just fine.

On the other hand, I have been struggling with CalMAN 4.0. I have already posted my problems elsewhere in this very thread, so I won't repeat the problems here, but suffice it to say that I don't find CalMAN anywhere near as user friendly, intuitive, or bulletproof as ChromaPure. It would seem at this point that I will NEED to resort to the SpectraCal forum in order to get my particular setup working properly, though I really wanted to see how far I could get on my own. My questions here in this thread represent more help than I wanted to ask for, but there were just some problems I had a hard time getting by, like this latest problem with the USB to serial adapter.

I certainly don't wish to be rude or unappreciative of all the hard work that the SpectraCal team has put into their product, but to be perfectly honest with you I feel that a piece of software in its 4.0 version, reflecting some 4 or 5 years of development, should be a lot more user friendly, polished, bug free, and properly documented (for us dummies) at this point in its life. The latest - today I fired up my old laptop with the PCM-CIA card that yesterday worked fine, but this time I am now getting the same error message as I got with the USB to serial adapter. Then on top of it, CalMAN froze up hopelessly (I needed to use task manager to close it) when it tried to take a reading. ChromaPure and AccuCal are still working just fine. I apologize in advance for hurting the feelings of anyone involved, especially since SpectraCal has been so nice to me, but I always tell it like I see it, good or bad.
post #186 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

You do realize that V4 is still beta, right?

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #187 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Could anyone give me the name of a known (and hopefully reasonably priced) adapter that they are SURE uses the FTDI chipset AND ...

http://www.milltechmarine.com/Sabren...ion_p_163.html

I too have found the FTDI based units more robust that than the Prolific. I don't use Calman.

Dave
post #188 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

Greetings

regards

Well , technically, it's in Release Canditate state--though I've always considered RC's as glorified betas.

My personal motto is "buyer beware" with betas and RC's. When I don't want to be on the bleeding edge, then I usually wait for the final released version or the first point release. Always appreciate when a vendor lets me try a beta or RC, though I fully realize I might encounter issues.

I just appreciate both Tom and Spectracal advancing calibration forward for noobs like me.
post #189 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

No, I didn't know that. I thought it was a release candidate, which means it should be basically out of beta. It is the only version that I have a license for. I downloaded version 3.7 but found that my license won't work with it. Are you suggesting that earlier versions are better in the way that they communicate with the Accupel, for example?
post #190 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I too have found the FTDI based units more robust that than the Prolific. I don't use Calman.

Thanks, Dave! I will buy it and see if it works any better/more reliably.
post #191 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well , technically, it's in Release Canditate state--though I've always considered RC's as glorified betas.

Hmmm...I've always thought of RCs as "ready for release". With most any other software I have ever used, RCs have performed like finished, polished products that I could not distinguish from actual release versions...maybe I have just been lucky.
post #192 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

V3.7 is not that for nothing. There was a 3.0 once upon a time ...

V4 is a complete rebuild of the program from the ground up. Not just another evolution of V3.

If you want stability and much more complete compatibility ... V3.7 is the one to stick with for now.

regards

post #193 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Dave! I will buy it and see if it works any better/more reliably.

Just a heads-up tip. Remove the Prolific driver (via Device manager) before installing the FTDI based unit.

I recently switched from using a Prolific based unit to a FTDI based unit and the FTDI unit got confused and wedged as it found and was trying to use the old Prolific driver. Once I uninstalled the Prolific driver, then windows detected it as 'new hardware found' and the correct driver was put in place.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear if this solves your issue.

Dave
post #194 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Michael, you must have missed my question. I'll repeat, is version 3.7 any better when it comes to connecting to the Accupel HDG 3000?

But, like I said already, I only have a license for v4, so I will stick with it, as I am not owed anything from SpectraCal, and besides, I don't want to start learning what seems to be a very different program all over again. So what I plan on doing is giving it another try when the new Sabrent *FTDI* USB to RS-232 arrives here in a few days, and I will update CalMAN 4 with each new RC. I won't continue commenting on V4 until I either have success communicating with my Accupel reliably and/or a final version is released, as I am sure that the "it is just a beta" argument will come up over and over again.
post #195 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Just a heads-up tip. Remove the Prolific driver (via Device manager) before installing the FTDI based unit.

I recently switched from using a Prolific based unit to a FTDI based unit and the FTDI unit got confused and wedged as it found and was trying to use the old Prolific driver. Once I uninstalled the Prolific driver, then windows detected it as 'new hardware found' and the correct driver was put in place.

Good luck. I'll be interested to hear if this solves your issue.

Thanks again, Dave. I will heed your advice...

I will also be sure to post a short note here to let you and others know if the FTDI unit solves the problem or not.
post #196 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Michael, one other thing...as a well known and respected professional calibrator around here, have you had the opportunity to compare ChromaPure to any version of CalMAN? If so I would like to hear your opinions, as apparently you have CalMAN working just fine and would be in a better position to make the comparison than I am presently.
post #197 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Bob, I don't know about connectivity issues with V3.7 as I don't have the Accupel 3000 and I have never been an automation person when it comes to calibration. It does not really serve me given the way I handle calibrations at client's homes. (Although the students in the THX class seem to have routinely hooked up the two 3000 units in the class to their laptops running 3.6 or 3.7 without any issues.)

When one is there for four to five hours of education ... and automation save me all of 10 min ... it really isn't a big deal for me. Add to it, the negative sides of automation that can rear its head and potentially sabotage an entire calibration session.

I have not had any time to play with the chromapure program so there is no comment on that at the moment.

I've played with Calman, Colorfacts, Progressive Labs, and the older Sencore programs. I will see when I have time to look at the Chromapure program.

Regards

post #198 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

...as I don't have the Accupel 3000 and I have never been an automation person when it comes to calibration. It does not really serve me given the way I handle calibrations at client's homes.

When one is there for four to five hours of education ... and automation save me all of 10 min ... it really isn't a big deal for me.

Wow, that really amazes me! I save 10 minutes in just one pass of a grayscale measurement alone. I would estimate that a 4 hour calibration would be cut down by anywhere from 60% to 75% by the use of automation, but then again, I have to make LOTS of passes and adjustments in order to get everything just where I want it and I am sure that a pro like you can get there a lot more quickly.
Quote:

I've played with Calman, Colorfacts, Progressive Labs, and the older Sencore programs.

I have never used Sencore's software, but I agree that Colorfacts and PL are, how should I put this to be politically correct, less than desirable programs to use.
Quote:

I will see when I have time to look at the Chromapure program.

You really should...
post #199 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Bob,

Just so that you will know we support both of the Accupel generators (3000 and 4000 series) in our software and have since they were introduced. Our software does not have any difficulties connecting to either product using a serial to USB adapter. I currently use a Keyspan USB adapter however I am not sure which chipset they utilize in their product.
post #200 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

Michael, you must have missed my question. I'll repeat, is version 3.7 any better when it comes to connecting to the Accupel HDG 3000?

But, like I said already, I only have a license for v4, so I will stick with it, as I am not owed anything from SpectraCal, and besides, I don't want to start learning what seems to be a very different program all over again. So what I plan on doing is giving it another try when the new Sabrent *FTDI* USB to RS-232 arrives here in a few days, and I will update CalMAN 4 with each new RC. I won't continue commenting on V4 until I either have success communicating with my Accupel reliably and/or a final version is released, as I am sure that the "it is just a beta" argument will come up over and over again.

I would like give some input here....I have both CalMAN V3 and V4..and both work fine with my Accupel HDG 3000...but I am using a Keyspan USB to RS232 Adapter...it is the only unit that I have found to work reliably on all RS232 devices that I have used.

RayJr
post #201 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I agree with RayJr, the Keyspan (doesn't use FTDI or Prolific) is a safe/great choice. Though the Keyspan can cost more than other solutions (and the reason we went the OEM route for our offering), they have always worked for me.

I have tested many adapters myself, many have driver issues, chipset issues or both. Even FTDI has some chipset versions that are not good regardless of driver version.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #202 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

post #203 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Yes, the #USA-19HS which I have (I should have posted the model). Model #USA-19HS does have Win7 (32 & 64bit) drivers (click on the Help & Resources tab for all drivers).

I do also have an older Keyspan version/model (found at a garage sale for $1) and it works great as well (just limited to 115K - not a big deal - older models may not have Win7 drivers).

Some of my Users have found them at Goodwill thrift shops for a few $

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #204 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hmmm...I've always thought of RCs as "ready for release". With most any other software I have ever used, RCs have performed like finished, polished products that I could not distinguish from actual release versions...maybe I have just been lucky.

Hey, Bob! Just meant to connote that's how "I" approach RC's--even though they are near final release there still might be unbeknowst issues, so I should be wary and not get upset or surprised. Just want to keep my blood pressure in check.
post #205 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I now have 2 USB to RS-232 adapters on their way here - the Sabrent FTDI that I ordered a couple of hours ago and the Keyspan I just ordered a few minutes ago. I will have other uses for the adapters so it is not as much of an overkill as it seems...

I just want to make sure that I own at least one unit that will work with ANY software.

Report to follow...
post #206 of 233 Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

Ok, I now have 2 USB to RS-232 adapters on their way here - the Sabrent FTDI that I ordered a couple of hours ago and the Keyspan I just ordered a few minutes ago. I will have other uses for the adapters so it is not as much of an overkill as it seems...

I just want to make sure that I own at least one unit that will work with ANY software.

Report to follow...

Bob,
I think you will be real happy with the Keyspan unit..it is what I recommend to everyone for all USB to RS232 needs...I own 3 myself..and have not had any of the wierd problems I have had with others.

RayJr
post #207 of 233 Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM

FWIW, I've used Calman V3.7 and my Accupel 3000 without adapters and have had no problems using C5 or i1Pro. My laptop is a 1 yr. old HP which now runs Win7. My Pro license has not been upgraded for v4 support.

Dan
post #208 of 233 Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Just as an update, as I promised, both of the 2 new USB to RS-232 adapters that I bought (the Sabrent FTDI and Keyspan USA-19HS work absolutely fine with all programs...

So to sum up, here are the results:

Accucal i1 Pro DCS - Works with PCM-CIA, Sabrent Prolific, Sabrent FTDI, and Keyspan adapters.
ChromaPure - Works with PCM-CIA, Sabrent Prolific, Sabrent FTDI, and Keyspan adapters.
CalMAN 4.0 RC4 - Works with Sabrent FTDI and Keyspan adapters, works sometimes with PCM-CIA, and never works with Sabrent Prolific.

Hopefully this weekend I will finally be able to set up a user preset on my RS-35 using CalMAN. When I am done I hope to post a detailed comparison between the two pieces of software.

Edit: Fixed typo
post #209 of 233 Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just as an update, as I promised, both of the 2 new USB to RS-232 adapters that I bought (the Sabrent FTDI and Keyspan USA-19HS work absolutely fine with all programs...

So to sum up, here are the results:

Accucal i1 Pro DCS - Works with PCM-CIA, Sabrent Prolific, Sabrent FTDI, and Keyspan adapters.
ChromaPure - Works with PCM-CIA, Sabrent Prolific, Sabrent FTDI, and Keyspan adapters.
CalMAN 4.0 RC4 - Works with Sabrent FTDI, and Keyspan adapters, works sometimes with PCM-CIA, and never works with Keyspan Prolific.

Hopefully this weekend I will finally be able to set up a user preset on my RS-35 using CalMAN. When I am done I hope to post a detailed comparison between the two pieces of software.

what is a Keyspan Prolific?

RayJr
post #210 of 233 Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

what is a Keyspan Prolific?

Oops, that's a typo...all fixed now...
Reply Display Calibration