Use AV Receiver HDMI ports or Direct TV HDMI Ports? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pana TH-50 850 PZ plasma. I have a Yamaha RX1900 receiver. Currently I connect a Mac Mini (pure HTPC use), Foxtel IQ2 and a Xbox 360 elite all via HDMI to the receiver which then connects to the TV via HDMI.

Should I or would it be better to connect the mini direct to the TV and same with the 360. I dont have my TV calibrated and I know the PQ is terrible on factory defaults.

I have done a lot of reading in these and other forums on where to start calibrating. Especially with the mac mini as its my only source of HD content playback.

It would be much appreciated to hear some of your thoughts on the best connection method. Im concerned that my AV unit is touching on the PQ of the inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Your AVR is not hurting your HDMI signals in any way.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thats good to know. Which device should I use as a source to calibrate my display. should I use the 360 or the mac mini. Or would I have to do both and have different saved presets on the TV. I think I have a can of worms here.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftyz View Post

Which device should I use as a source to calibrate my display.

All HDMI video (16-235) sources using the same HDMI input will be calibrated if you use just one of them to do the calibration. Same applies to PC (0-255) sources. But you can't mix the two type of source gear on the same HDMI input on your display. If you have both type of sources, use two separate HDMI display inputs, each calibrated appropriately. You therefore can't run both type of HDMI sources through a single AVR!

I know NOTHING about 360 or Mac mini. If they are switchable to video versus PC, set them to video and use a standard calibration DVD to calibrate the HDMI input on your display. Even "THX Optimizer" found on every THX-logo'd disc will do fine.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #5 of 6 Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thats logical to me. I dont know for sure what my mac mini is outputing compared to my foxtel or 360 to the avr. I suspect that the mac mini being DVI (computer) is outputting 0-255 RGB. That would explain the crushed blacks. I also think the TV is not accepting RGB 0-255 color in the HDMI 1 port.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
if you mix a computer at 0-255 w/ other AV equipment, you'll need to run the computer direct to the display and then the audio to the AV reciever.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page