Rayjr to the Rescue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rayjr was soooo helpfull to me earlier this evening. He sent me a PM with his phone number for me to call him when I posted a question in the Display Calibration forum. I am now further along with the learning curve as opposed to weeks of reading all I could find on the subject of CalMan and video display calibration. I was stuck on the test patterns and needed help but got so much more than just this help. Ray has put me on a road of discovery that I would have still been searching for if not for him. All I can say is thanks to a stranger that now feels like a freind. I Look-forward to talking with you again sometime Ray. He has lerned me how to set up CalMAN and use my meters correctly. I am not claiming to have learned the hole process in one phone conversation but he has certainly put me on the right track. I now have a much better understanding than ever before. I know to many of you something as simple as a brightness or contrast test pattern is as easy as walking down the street but I was truly hung up on this process. Rayjr in one quick phone conversation has taken away many a headache that I surely was to get over trying to get up to speed with CalMAN and the DPG-1200. I recomend any persons needing assistance with CalMAN to post a question and see if he is as helpfull for you as he was for me. Rayjr turned out to be a real time saver for sure. Thanks Rayjr.

Good going Rayjr,

1'stsamdude
tbaudoin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
I am glad I could "Enlighten You"

RayJr
post #3 of 49 Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 (BIG)

You said it better then I could of. Ray has been terrific and I'm much further ahead and better off for his efforts.

shhhhh, lets keep Ray between you and I Word gets our he's a terrific guy and willing to help, we'll be querying to the back of the line.

Dave
post #4 of 49 Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I agree wholeheartedly. It's refreshing to have guys like Ray in this field. Keep it up buddy!
post #5 of 49 Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I love Ray!!

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #6 of 49 Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

Rayjr was soooo helpfull to me earlier this evening. He sent me a PM with his phone number for me to call him when I posted a question in the Display Calibration forum. I am now further along with the learning curve as opposed to weeks of reading all I could find on the subject of CalMan and video display calibration. I was stuck on the test patterns and needed help but got so much more than just this help. Ray has put me on a road of discovery that I would have still been searching for if not for him. All I can say is thanks to a stranger that now feels like a freind. I Look-forward to talking with you again sometime Ray. He has lerned me how to set up CalMAN and use my meters correctly. I am not claiming to have learned the hole process in one phone conversation but he has certainly put me on the right track. I now have a much better understanding than ever before. I know to many of you something as simple as a brightness or contrast test pattern is as easy as walking down the street but I was truly hung up on this process. Rayjr in one quick phone conversation has taken away many a headache that I surely was to get over trying to get up to speed with CalMAN and the DPG-1200. I recomend any persons needing assistance with CalMAN to send Rayjr a message and see if he is as helpfull for you as he was for me. Rayjr turned out to be a real time saver for sure. Thanks Rayjr.

Good going Rayjr,

Jeff (1'stsamdude)

Dang Rayjr, You have quite a gathering. Thanks Pal,

1'stsamdude
post #7 of 49 Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
What everyone here has said about Rayjr +10.

I cannot thank Ray enough for the time he took to give a beginner like me a thorough introduction and explanation on how to get started with Calman. The knowledge, generosity and contribution he brings to this community definitely needs to be appreciated. Thank you very much my friend...

Angelo

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #8 of 49 Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Ray helped me out a great deal when I first started using CalMAN. He has a wealth of knowledge, and the patience of a Saint.

Thanks again Ray.

-Best,
John

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Liked: 12
Talk about generosity. RayJr called me and not only answered my initial question, but every question related to calibration I could come up with, he made sure I had the complete picture about possible new gear I'm currently looking at, and gave me advices on how to properly store my current gear.

This forum is a great place to learn because the users are generously sharing their knowledge, and even more so because seasoned experts are helping DIYers. But I'd never thought I'd get a one-on-one Q&A session with a pro calibrator.

RayJr, thank you for your help and time. I really appreciate it.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

He has "Enlighten me" also.

Thanks Ray. 0 yea did you enjoy the SpectraCal Pro Video?

Mike
post #11 of 49 Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

I love Ray!!

+1

G-Man
post #12 of 49 Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Ray helped me out a great deal when I first started using CalMAN. He has a wealth of knowledge, and the patience of a Saint.

Thanks again Ray.

-Best,
John

Ditto......Ditto.....Ditto. Ray calibrated my Pioneer101.. He is quite possibly the most patient and easygoing man I have ever met and he really knows his stuff. He spent hours hooking up my set and my Bluray player. He could have finished much quicker, but he went out of his way to not only explain to me what he was doing but how what he was doing affected picture quality and why it was important and how it related to everything else. Everything I know about calibration and every piece of calibration equipment I have is because of Ray. I have the guy on my speed dial. I'm not kidding.

Thank you Ray.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #13 of 49 Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

Rayjr was soooo helpfull to me earlier this evening. He sent me a PM with his phone number for me to call him when I posted a question in the Display Calibration forum. I am now further along with the learning curve as opposed to weeks of reading all I could find on the subject of CalMan and video display calibration. I was stuck on the test patterns and needed help but got so much more than just this help. Ray has put me on a road of discovery that I would have still been searching for if not for him. All I can say is thanks to a stranger that now feels like a freind. I Look-forward to talking with you again sometime Ray. He has lerned me how to set up CalMAN and use my meters correctly. I am not claiming to have learned the hole process in one phone conversation but he has certainly put me on the right track. I now have a much better understanding than ever before. I know to many of you something as simple as a brightness or contrast test pattern is as easy as walking down the street but I was truly hung up on this process. Rayjr in one quick phone conversation has taken away many a headache that I surely was to get over trying to get up to speed with CalMAN and the DPG-1200. I recomend any persons needing assistance with CalMAN to post a question and see if he is as helpfull for you as he was for me. Rayjr turned out to be a real time saver for sure. Thanks Rayjr.

Good going Rayjr,

1'stsamdude

Ok guys.... For the calibration noobees such as my self, all I can say is that Ray is the man.. Many forms guys will try to "eat your lunch" and try to make you look not so bright (p.c.). Ray is so patient it is incredible!!! I felt guilty that I was taking up too much of his time. Due to the fact I had issues that needed to be corrected prior to calibration, also pointed out by Ray, and not to be to greedy with his time I let him go. However once my other issues are straightened out I will be going back to Ray. That is if he has the time.

Thanks Ray!!!!
post #14 of 49 Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm a new member at avs forum....I like to thanks Rayjr for the time and his effort by helping me out to clarified lot of issues and doubts that I had .CM solutions for video displays are very hard things to comprehend .... but with the help of a person like Ray jr these things become easy to grasp.... For new comers like me .... he know how to handle ....explain ,and gives you the right information .... He respect,understand the fact when new passionate members that got many of their issues and questions needs to be solved ....He gets the time to seat with you .... and with modesty understand your "baby language".After the fact and time-effort ,he brings you slowly at professional level ....Said that....That's his maestri ....Thanks Rayjr
post #15 of 49 Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

I love Ray!!

He is like Charman Toilet paper, just so squeezeable and cute.

post #16 of 49 Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Liked: 14
I would just like to confirm what others here have stated about Ray. I spent about an hour and half last night talking with him and he has cleared up a lot of the questions that I had. He took the time to make sure I understood gamma, grayscale and the cms. He helped me with calman and how to use the charts and also some helpful tips on using the colormunki with calman. So if you get an invite to call him with questions don't hesitate, it will be worth your time. I now have some things to try and Ray already told me if I have more questions as I go just give him a call. Again thanks Ray.

Bob
post #17 of 49 Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wanted to express my gratitude to Ray. I heard an interview with Ray on The HDTV & Home Theater Podcast with The HT Guys. I had a number of color calibration questions that had been bugging me for the longest time so I decided to send an email to Ara Derderian, which Ara was kind enough to forward to Ray.

Ray quickly replied and suggested that a phone conversation would be the easiest way for us to discuss my questions. We arranged a good time for both of us and had a lengthy and very enjoyable conversation!

To say that Ray is generous with his time and knowledge would be a severe understatement. I had been wondering about differences between the Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 standards, how displays handled the different color space standards and how the color decoders figured into all of it. My own, casual research had turned up a few answers, but I really did not understand most of it. Ray managed to make everything crystal clear! He was patient, friendly, courteous and professional; and most of all, it was abundantly clear that he simply loves this topic and his work, and that his vast knowledge is the result of many years of professional experience as well as an infectious and genuine enthusiasm for all things home theater!

If you have the opportunity to speak with Ray and/or hire him for his THX certified calibration services, I highly recommend that you take it! For some calibrators out there, it is just a job. But with Ray, you get so much more than just a one-time service. You get an education! And you get to meet someone who is happy to simply talk to you and treat you like a friend.

My sincere thanks to Ray and also to The HT Guys for introducing him to me and allowing us to get in touch!

Thank you,

Rob H.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Ray is great. He is going to CES and has areed to call me from the show with a running narrative of all the new tv's coming out

post #19 of 49 Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post

Ray is great. He is going to CES and has areed to call me from the show with a running narrative of all the new tv's coming out

Ya....Right...

RayJr
post #20 of 49 Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I like Ike...err Ray!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #21 of 49 Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well, I received a PM from Ray about helping me figure out some issues with Calman 4.2 and how to control my projector throught he software. I was a littel worried that after the pleasant greetings were exchanged I might hear well I can help or walk you through this for onyl blank amount of money paid to my paypal account. I did not hear anything of the sort. Ray was very nice and personable. He explained more than a few things about the software and the art of calibrating including but not limited to; meter placement, gray scale adjustment and what they really mean, brightness and contrast settings, CMS (do not play with it yet) and many other things. After anout one hour 10 minutes I have a much better understnading and starting point for my calibration. Ray was also more than willing to speak with me at any future point if I need pointers or would like to dive into CMS in the future.

So Hats off to Ray and being willing to help someone he has never met before, although there will be a drink waiting for him in Denver if he makes it out this way. Thank you again Ray.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #22 of 49 Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Thank you Ray for all of your info.! I called Ray with questions about THX training, and career info. etc. as far as calibration. He was very polite, understanding, and helpful. He never made me feel stupid for asking anything, and I knew nothing when I called him. He gave me all of the answers to all of my questions, and I now know much more about THX certification classes and what I might be looking at. He may hear from me again with more questions...Thanks again Ray!!
post #23 of 49 Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Wow! What a guy RayJr is! I know people here on the AVS forums are very helpful, but RayJr takes the cake! He was very friendly, understanding, and very informative and answered all my questions. This guy just loves what he does and wants to share his knowledge and experience with others for nothing in return. All I can say is Great Person!
RayJr Thank you again for taking time out of your evening to answer my questions. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to help a total stranger.

Thanks Again,
George
post #24 of 49 Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM

All I can say is there are no boundaries for Ray, I'm writing this all the way from the Caribbean, Dominican Republic. Ray was patient, professional and very helpful, explained everything step by step when calibrating my Sharp Aquos and was always there if I needed any help. It's a blessing to have you here. My tv looks better than ever.

Thank you Ray
post #25 of 49 Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Picking Ray's brain is fun. Pick pick, pick pick.

post #26 of 49 Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 AM

wow! ok ok ok no i don't know Ray but maybe i should get to know him.need my xbr929 calibrated. lol
post #27 of 49 Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchap2001 View Post

wow! ok ok ok no i don't know Ray but maybe i should get to know him.need my xbr929 calibrated. lol

One of the coolest guys I've ever met, and the patience of a saint. I almost forgot, he really knows his stuff. Every single thing I know about calibrating sets is because of him. It's been almost a week........about time for another phone call.

post #28 of 49 Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ray has been unbelievable over the past few days spending hours with me on the phone. He is an incredible resource. Thanks Ray!
post #29 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have any of you given Ray a squeeze today?

(it is his Birthday...if you were not aware)

Happy birthday Ray!!!

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #30 of 49 Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Happy B-Day Ray!!!

Stephen Cooper
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Digital Video Calibrations LLC
http://www.digitalvideocalibrations.com
Reply Display Calibration