Samsung LED 8000 series "HDMI Calibration: Failure" in service menu - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all,

As the title states, I have a Sammy 8000 series LED. I went to the service menu to turn the auto-dimming off but the poorly designed wheel on the remote accidently left me in another menu while trying to get to the auto-dimming menu. I tried to back away from the "HDMI Calibration" box and accidently started it and now it says "HDMI Calibration: Failure."

I took a hit on PQ after this so I have been reading up on the issue. For other Sammy models (non-LED), some threads on this site have suggested getting a checkerboard pattern and having it up on the screen while running the HDMI Calibration. Does anyone have any experience with my problem with my Sammy model? Is there anything I can do instead of calling a tech?

I don't recommend anyone going into the service menu...at least not with the remote that comes with the 8000 series. I had no intention of doing anything else except turning off the auto-dimming (something I had researched extensively) and now I'm having to deal with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Greetings

If you do have to call a service tech, own up to it and pay for the repair visit.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by frincon1 View Post

Dear all,

As the title states, I have a Sammy 8000 series LED. I went to the service menu to turn the auto-dimming off but the poorly designed wheel on the remote accidently left me in another menu while trying to get to the auto-dimming menu. I tried to back away from the "HDMI Calibration" box and accidently started it and now it says "HDMI Calibration: Failure."

I took a hit on PQ after this so I have been reading up on the issue. For other Sammy models (non-LED), some threads on this site have suggested getting a checkerboard pattern and having it up on the screen while running the HDMI Calibration. Does anyone have any experience with my problem with my Sammy model? Is there anything I can do instead of calling a tech?

I don't recommend anyone going into the service menu...at least not with the remote that comes with the 8000 series. I had no intention of doing anything else except turning off the auto-dimming (something I had researched extensively) and now I'm having to deal with this.

If voiding your warranty is not desired, buy a service manual for your TV online and then determine what checkerboard pattern your TV requires at what resolution for the HDMI input. See this post for additional info. Keep in mind, that only refers to the B650 (32" and possibly other sizes). You should still get the service manual for your exact model number and screen size to be sure you are using the correct pattern to recalibrate properly.

If all else fails, call the service tech and be prepared to lose your warranty.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Motorola RNG150N
post #4 of 16 Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

If voiding your warranty is not desired, buy a service manual for your TV online and then determine what checkerboard pattern your TV requires at what resolution for the HDMI input. See this post for additional info. Keep in mind, that only refers to the B650 (32" and possibly other sizes). You should still get the service manual for your exact model number and screen size to be sure you are using the correct pattern to recalibrate properly.

If all else fails, call the service tech and be prepared to lose your warranty.

I'm prepared to pay for my mistake...am I prepared to tell my wife after I had gotten on her for a mistake she made with the car (that's small in comparison)...don't know about that

I will check out the service manual and I will fess up to the Samsung rep if I have to make the call. I hope that they can be helpful as I've heard that the 8000 series has been discontinued.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since the damage is already done so-to-speak, you could try the checkerboard pattern method that has worked for other sammys. Grab a static checkerboard image, here’s one-

http://calibrate.tv/patterns/ansicontrast1.jpg

Load it on a PC via HDMI as your desktop background image, or scale it native rez in a paint app, or burn it to CDR as a photo and scale it with a STB player, or thumb drive.

If it auto B/C with a successful, then woo-hoo. If not, then you’re where you are anyway.

Dave
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsen View Post

Since the damage is already done so-to-speak, you could try the checkerboard pattern method that has worked for other sammys. Grab a static checkerboard image, here's one-

http://calibrate.tv/patterns/ansicontrast1.jpg

Load it on a PC via HDMI as your desktop background image, or scale it native rez in a paint app, or burn it to CDR as a photo and scale it with a STB player, or thumb drive.

If it auto B/C with a successful, then woo-hoo. If not, then you're where you are anyway.

Dave

Thanks for the link, Dave! Also, I ordered Joe Kane's DVE on Blu-ray for more test patterns.

PlasmaPZ80U, as far as the manual is concerned, is that something I can find online or would I need to go to a service center and buy it from them? I have spent a few minutes on Goggle about the service manual but I'm so swamped with work, that I haven't had a free moment. I will give it a good faith effort to find the service manual online this weekend.

I am prepared to lose my warranty

Thanks for the reply, guys!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by frincon1 View Post

Thanks for the link, Dave! Also, I ordered Joe Kane's DVE on Blu-ray for more test patterns.

PlasmaPZ80U, as far as the manual is concerned, is that something I can find online or would I need to go to a service center and buy it from them? I have spent a few minutes on Goggle about the service manual but I'm so swamped with work, that I haven't had a free moment. I will give it a good faith effort to find the service manual online this weekend.

I am prepared to lose my warranty

Thanks for the reply, guys!

http://www.manualuniverse.com/

This is the site I used for my LN32B650.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Motorola RNG150N
post #8 of 16 Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

http://www.manualuniverse.com/

This is the site I used for my LN32B650.

Thanks!! I will give this a shot today and report back if things worked out or if I had to give the lovely folks at Samsung a call.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

IT'S FIXED!!

I was jumping up and down my living room like my team won the World Series!!

The checkerboard pattern that dlarsen put up got me thinking. I looked at the service manual I bought from the site that PlamsaPZ80U posted and looked at the required pattern and resolution for the checkerboard pattern as listed on my service manual. After Googling the pattern number, I came to another thread on AVS Forum which had the pattern I needed. All I had to do was adjust the size of it with my photo editing software and adjust the resolution of my TV, as per the service manual, and PRESTO! I am now looking at "HDMI Calibration: Success" !!!!

Here's the thread with the image I needed for those of you that may be looking through this thread for a fix to your problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=777497&page=4

Look for post #97.

Thanks everyone for your help!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM

I would like thank you all that have contributed with this thread.

I'm owner of a PL50C550 Samsung (PN50C550 in the USA) and I did the same mistake that was already told here: I triggered the hdmi calibration on service menu without a pattern on the screen.

By reading this thread I could redo the hdmi calibration with success and now my tv is working properly again.

Regards.
sap2012 likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 PM

just as an FYI you dont need to download and resize a test pattern.

I had this same problem and noticed that the TV can generate test patterns for you.

In the service menu goto
SVC -> Test Pattern -> HDMI WB Pattern (change this to ON)
SVC -> Test Pattern -> HDMI Pattern Sel (change this to 7)

Then go back to your HDMI calibration
ADC/WB -> ADC -> HDMI Calibration
and run it again.
You will get a success

When finished just go back and turn the HDMI WB Pattern back to OFF.

This worked for my Samsung 6400 series
UN55D6400
post #12 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyr0n_k0r View Post

just as an FYI you dont need to download and resize a test pattern.

I had this same problem and noticed that the TV can generate test patterns for you.

In the service menu goto
SVC -> Test Pattern -> HDMI WB Pattern (change this to ON)
SVC -> Test Pattern -> HDMI Pattern Sel (change this to 7)

Then go back to your HDMI calibration
ADC/WB -> ADC -> HDMI Calibration
and run it again.
You will get a success

When finished just go back and turn the HDMI WB Pattern back to OFF.

This worked for my Samsung 6400 series
UN55D6400

Thanks for this advice!! I tried this last night after royally screwing up the picture on my TV and this seems to have fixed the issue. The picture was a little dim once I reset the TV (it's a lot brighter in the Service Menu) but I adjust the Sub Brightness value in the ADC/WB menu and it's a lot better now.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Quick question.

Will a new tcon fix the calibration failed error ??
post #14 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM

test pattern worked for my t22a300!
thanks so much!!!!
post #15 of 16 Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM

I did the same and screwed up my HDMI calibration, I tried this pattern http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9644/checkerboardsamsung.jpg and it did good to my TV.
First time I tried, it did not work that was because I had this picture in fullscreen mode in my laptop's screen.
Then I tried extending my screen into my TV fully blown up. and tried the calibration again, and that was the trick. Hope this helps.

Regards.
Yessi Ontaneda likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Hi all,

As the title states, I have a Sammy 8000 series LED. I went to the service menu and by mistake I messed up The HDMI Calibration. after 8 hours I succeeded to get the successful status but I had a strong feeling that the picture is not as good as before and my wife also confirming that. I have non of the complaints that I read in the same posts a part from my feeling that there is something different after the calibration. I had to do manual adjustments in the normal menu to get the picture almost back to what I got used to. My question is: how should I know if the TV came back to the same quality of the factory state after I did the calibration? Which settings in the service menu is affected by the calibration? If I had a friend of mine who had the same TV. did mimicking his service menu could help? Is Samsung is capable to get it back?

I know that I asked a lot of questions but I am getting crazy with these. appreciate your help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration