The difference between Samsung Film modes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that CS is for 24p content but how about Auto 1/2? The users manual doesn't specify.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Film Modes are typically inverse telecine... meaning they remove 3:2 pulldown from 30 fps sources which are almost all exclusively DVD. The repeated frames are detected and removed leaving 24p. If you are already sending 24p from a disc player that also has an inverse telecine mode, the TV won't do anything else with the images. If you are sending Blu-ray at 24p, the Film Mode won't do anything either. Auto1 and Auto2 typically will be setup so one of them only removes 3:2 pulldown and the other will remove 3:2 pulldown AND insert interpolated frames (using the TVs motion smoothing setting... whatever it is set to). Film Mode will also remove 3:2 pulldown from movies shown on broadcast, cable or satellite. But when the source is 30 fps video (like concert DVDs or Blu-rays) or TV shows shot with video cameras, there is no 3:2 pulldown to remove so CineSmooth or CineMotion or Film Mode (different brands have different names for the control but they typically all do the same thing(s) do nothing. And if the source is 24p there's no 3:2 pulldown to remove either so again, this setting does nothing.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #3 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Film Modes are typically inverse telecine... meaning they remove 3:2 pulldown from 30 fps sources which are almost all exclusively DVD. The repeated frames are detected and removed leaving 24p. If you are already sending 24p from a disc player that also has an inverse telecine mode, the TV won't do anything else with the images. If you are sending Blu-ray at 24p, the Film Mode won't do anything either. Auto1 and Auto2 typically will be setup so one of them only removes 3:2 pulldown and the other will remove 3:2 pulldown AND insert interpolated frames (using the TVs motion smoothing setting... whatever it is set to). Film Mode will also remove 3:2 pulldown from movies shown on broadcast, cable or satellite. But when the source is 30 fps video (like concert DVDs or Blu-rays) or TV shows shot with video cameras, there is no 3:2 pulldown to remove so CineSmooth or CineMotion or Film Mode (different brands have different names for the control but they typically all do the same thing(s) do nothing. And if the source is 24p there's no 3:2 pulldown to remove either so again, this setting does nothing.

Thanks for the info Doug! But I thought even with 24p enabled on a Blu Ray Player to a Samsung TV that Cinema Smooth has to be enabled to view at 96hz to avoid the 3:2 pulldown?
post #4 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

I know that CS is for 24p content but how about Auto 1/2? The users manual doesn't specify.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo

This setting is valid for 480i and 1080i (film-based) signals only. Use Auto1 to properly de-interlace 480i and 1080i content. Auto2 is to make text clear but doesn't properly de-interlace 480i and 1080i film signals like Auto1.

Always use Auto1 when the setting is available and not grayed out.

"Film Mode → Off / Auto1 / Auto2
The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Film Mode is supported in TV, Video, Component (480i / 1080i) and HDMI (480i / 1080i).
Off: Turns the Film Mode function off.
Auto1: Automatically adjusts the picture for the best quality when watching a film.
Auto2: Automatically optimizes the video text on the screen (not including closed captions) when watching a film."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! If CS is enabled under film mode on a C8000 then does it default to Auto 1 when not being fed 24p content?
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info Doug! But I thought even with 24p enabled on a Blu Ray Player to a Samsung TV that Cinema Smooth has to be enabled to view at 96hz to avoid the 3:2 pulldown?

Oops... I have Sony on the brain... the other description applies to Samsung... the info I posted is typical for Sony TVs. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, if you send 24p, the TV has to operate in a multiple of 24fps or 3:2 pulldown would be added back in. Some TVs will accept 24p but only operate in 60Hz so you can never get rid of 3:2 pulldown on those. Other TVs may have 48, 96, 120, or 240 Hz operation to support 24p - varies with manufacturer and model and type of TV.

ISF -- HAA --
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info! If CS is enabled under film mode on a C8000 then does it default to Auto 1 when not being fed 24p content?

On my B650 LCD, it always defaults to Auto2.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oops... I have Sony on the brain... the other description applies to Samsung... the info I posted is typical for Sony TVs. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, if you send 24p, the TV has to operate in a multiple of 24fps or 3:2 pulldown would be added back in. Some TVs will accept 24p but only operate in 60Hz so you can never get rid of 3:2 pulldown on those. Other TVs may have 48, 96, 120, or 240 Hz operation to support 24p - varies with manufacturer and model and type of TV.

Thanks for clarifying! So does playing back 24p content at 96hz introduce frame interpolation although even: 4 identical frames for each single frame = 4/4 pulldown?

If this is correct then is this still a little different then viewing from a film projector or did I hear that projectors also duplicate frames in some manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

On my B650 LCD, it always defaults to Auto2.

Thanks for the info! Do you prefer auto 1 over auto 2? If so do you manually switch to auto 1 after viewing 24p content with CS? (CS mode only applies to 24p correct?)
post #9 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Here's a simple response:

Use auto1 for 1080i and off for 1080p. Cinema smooth handles 24p appropriately but it causes your black levels to rise. I'd rather have decent black level.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrown94 View Post

Here's a simple response:

Use auto1 for 1080i and off for 1080p. Cinema smooth handles 24p appropriately but it causes your black levels to rise. I'd rather have decent black level.

Thanks for your input! Hopefully this CS issue can be fixed with a future firmware update.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your input! Hopefully this CS issue can be fixed with a future firmware update.

Use Auto1 when available. It is automatically off when grayed out with progressive resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080p).

post #12 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Use Auto1 when available. It is automatically off when grayed out with progressive resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080p).

Thanks for your input! I wonder why it defaults to auto 2? Would there ever be a good reason to use this mode? Why do they not apply to p vs i content?
post #13 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying! So does playing back 24p content at 96hz introduce frame interpolation although even: 4 identical frames for each single frame = 4/4 pulldown?

If this is correct then is this still a little different then viewing from a film projector or did I hear that projectors also duplicate frames in some manner?

Frame interpolation is on if the TV has a Frame Interpolation mode and you turned it on. If you turned it off (or if the TV has no frame interpolation mode), then each frame is repeated 4 times to get 96Hz.

Modern film projectors typically flash each frame 2 times.

ISF -- HAA --
post #14 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Great info Doug, thanks for your time!

Quote:

Frame interpolation is on if the TV has a Frame Interpolation mode and you turned it on. If you turned it off (or if the TV has no frame interpolation mode), then each frame is repeated 4 times to get 96Hz.

Modern film projectors typically flash each frame 2 times.

So there is no way view 24p at 96Hz with frame interpolation on?

Since viewing 24p at 96Hz repeats each frame 4 times vs 2 from film does it allow less judder?
post #15 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Film motion sucks, most attempts to make it look better by interpolating frames look unnatural.

If you turn frame interpolation on you are going to get interpolated frames... period. I don't know how many frames they interpolate and how many duplicate frames are flashed. An interpolated frame can actually be quite good - they can even look better than the original blurred film frames that were anlyzed to create the interpolated frame. But taking too much blur out of movies makes images look more like they were shot with a video camera than with a film camera - and that drives some people crazy. However, some of the newer frame interpolation algorithms apparently add some blur to the interpolated frames to keep them "more film-like" while still providing some sense of motion that is filled-in better.

Flashing frames multiple times has nothing to do with motion judder. It is a technique used to reduce visible flicker in images in theaters or in home video displays. The reasons for it are similar but the techniques for film projector and home video displays are very different for many reasons.

ISF -- HAA --
post #16 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Film motion sucks, most attempts to make it look better by interpolating frames look unnatural.

If you turn frame interpolation on you are going to get interpolated frames... period. I don't know how many frames they interpolate and how many duplicate frames are flashed. An interpolated frame can actually be quite good - they can even look better than the original blurred film frames that were anlyzed to create the interpolated frame. But taking too much blur out of movies makes images look more like they were shot with a video camera than with a film camera - and that drives some people crazy. However, some of the newer frame interpolation algorithms apparently add some blur to the interpolated frames to keep them "more film-like" while still providing some sense of motion that is filled-in better.

Flashing frames multiple times has nothing to do with motion judder. It is a technique used to reduce visible flicker in images in theaters or in home video displays. The reasons for it are similar but the techniques for film projector and home video displays are very different for many reasons.

Thanks once again Doug! So if I understand correctly frame interpolation isn't just repeating the same frame (ie 24p 96hz 4:4) but actually introducing combined intermediary frames?
post #17 of 18 Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks once again Doug! So if I understand correctly frame interpolation isn't just repeating the same frame (ie 24p 96hz 4:4) but actually introducing combined intermediary frames?

Yes, if a car is moving rapidly from left to right and in Frame 1 the car is at the left edge of the frame and in frame 2 the car is at the right edge of the frame, the interpolation software will make a new frame with the car in the middle of the frame. If the car is very blurred in frame 1 and frame 2 (from the high speed), the interpolated frame might be much sharper - it is surprising hiw much sharper the interpolated frame can be. But some interpolation software will now blur the interpolated frame on purpose so it looks more like a film camera frame and less like a sharp image. Some TVs have 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5 frame interpolation modes that all look a little different because adjustments are made to the interpolation software so the interpolated framed look different.

If you flash frame1 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 times... then do the same thing for frame2, that has nothing to do with Interpolation of frames. When interpolation is turned on, you might flash frame1 2 times, flash the interpolated frame 2 times, then flash frame2 2 times, and an interpolated frame 2 times. A different interpolation mode (perhaps on a 240Hz TV) might flash frame 1 5 times, an interpolated frame 5 times, frame2 5 times, an interpolated frame 5 times, etc. Or they might flash frame1 6 times and an interpolated frame 4 times, frame2 6 times, interpolated frame 4 times... etc. There are a lot of possible patterns for flashing original frames and interpolated frames.

ISF -- HAA --
post #18 of 18 Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, if a car is moving rapidly from left to right and in Frame 1 the car is at the left edge of the frame and in frame 2 the car is at the right edge of the frame, the interpolation software will make a new frame with the car in the middle of the frame. If the car is very blurred in frame 1 and frame 2 (from the high speed), the interpolated frame might be much sharper - it is surprising hiw much sharper the interpolated frame can be. But some interpolation software will now blur the interpolated frame on purpose so it looks more like a film camera frame and less like a sharp image. Some TVs have 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5 frame interpolation modes that all look a little different because adjustments are made to the interpolation software so the interpolated framed look different.

If you flash frame1 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 times... then do the same thing for frame2, that has nothing to do with Interpolation of frames. When interpolation is turned on, you might flash frame1 2 times, flash the interpolated frame 2 times, then flash frame2 2 times, and an interpolated frame 2 times. A different interpolation mode (perhaps on a 240Hz TV) might flash frame 1 5 times, an interpolated frame 5 times, frame2 5 times, an interpolated frame 5 times, etc. Or they might flash frame1 6 times and an interpolated frame 4 times, frame2 6 times, interpolated frame 4 times... etc. There are a lot of possible patterns for flashing original frames and interpolated frames.

Thanks for clarifying! I just kept questioning myself because there are people on the forum referring to Samsung Cinema Smooth (24p at 96hz) as frame interpolation.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page