H and V Sharpness Question/Color Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All!

I have an LG PK550 that I just got last week. I have an Eye1 LT meter and Color HCFR. Calibrated for Contrast, Brightness, Greyscale and Color gamut (to as good a point as I can with the equipment I've got) all in the ISF Modes of the TV.

However, there is one control on the TV that I am not familiar with, H Sharpness and V Sharpness. I am assuming they refer to Horizontal and Vertical sharpness, but are they set the same way the generic sharpness is set in other modes?

I'm used to setting sharpness to 0, because anything over that normally introduces outlines or ringing. But if I set both of these to 0, the image is blurred. I believe the default is 50.

I guess my question is, do you set the V and H sharpness the same way as the generic sharpness, or since they appear to implemented differently, is there a different way to set them

Also on this TV, I found some information on this forum on how to properly set the color control. I displayed a 75% white window got the Y reading from it, then displayed a 75% red window and set the color control until Y read 21% of the white window. But I had to kick the color control up 15 points (from 50 to 65) It does look alot better to me (closer to what my other TV's have looked like at default) but it just seemed like alot, is that normal?

All help is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

I won't chime in on the color portion of your question since I am no expert on calibration. The vertical and horizontal sharpness however should be set to give you the sharpest line without causing that ringing you speak of. 0 will not be the setting you are looking for.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Greetings

The correct setting for sharpness is not necessarily at 0. It is at the point where the fake edges disappear. It could be at 0 or 90/100 ... exact location is irrelevant. The H and V are done the same way as if there was one sharpness control.

Query 2 ... my piece of string is 8 inches long ... does this seem right? How long should the piece of string be? Where does this notion that 50 = the best come from? The correct answer could be 30 ... 80 or anything ... as long as it is the correct answer.

Set color with the meter and look at real material. This method does not work right all the time ... it can give you bad answers too just like the blue filter method. Ideally, do it both ways and come up with a range for color ... and then test this range against your real reference material ... which ain't a test pattern.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 AM

I share the question and wonder about the use on an LG TV. However, I don't know what is meant by "edge line" in this context. Edge of image or edge of screen. Also, we are on our THIRD LG TV of the same model. THIRD in as many months!

What is the deal? We tried to exchange the second one for another brand, but we didn't have the original packaging, so the dealer wouldn't do it. I can't believe the LG model is this "soft," but failures were real.

Any ideas?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4587 View Post

I'm used to setting sharpness to 0, because anything over that normally introduces outlines or ringing. But if I set both of these to 0, the image is blurred. I believe the default is 50!

I have an LG too and yes, the sharpness controls seem to work more 'gently' than those on other brands. Using the AVS test images even a sharpness of 50 doesn't introduce the fake edges to thin black lines.

Surprisingly though, if I use AVIA (old) through my PS3, sharpness seems to start introducing the edges at around a setting of 10!!

Insert pithy comment here
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Try the AVS Black clipping pattern (very first one in basic patterns) in a completely dark room. You will see edge enhancement on the flashing bars. Works well on my LG
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page