Consumer Level Disney World of Wonder (WOW) vs. DVE Blu Ray - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 450 Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I just ordered the 2-disc version off of Amazon for $26. I chose this over DVE and S&M since I like the brightness and contrast patterns (among others) and it seems to be a more interesting disc than DVE, which is quite dull and has a terrible layout for the menu system. It should supplement the free AVS disc quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 450 Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really? I just got one for $17 brand new... single disc though...
post #303 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced_Fool View Post

from internet ? thanks
post #304 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 AM

Amazon
If u want link let me know
post #305 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

Amazon
If u want link let me know

thanks
post #306 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroker View Post

Are there any distributors in the UK?

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #307 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes...single disc version is less than 2 disc version.

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #308 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...new&tag=vig-20
The first one might be the last one at that price. Plus they are reputable, have bought from them before. Enjoy!
post #309 of 450 Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

A couple of the one and two star rating reviews on Amazon claim that the brightness and contrast settings you get by using basic and/or advanced patterns are wrong. What are they talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...rBy=addTwoStar

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...rBy=addOneStar
post #310 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I can assure you both the Audio & Video Patterns that the Patters are 100% accurate and are in full compliance with industry standards.

98% often review are positive and the disc has been verified as accurate by numerous Engineers and ISF Technicians. In fact, the Brightness & Contrast patterns have been called the best available compared to any disc currently on the market. Quite the opposite of the 2 consumers who questioned the accuracy of these patterns.

With with ANY product, you will always have 1 or 2 negative consumer opinions.

* Two of the negative reviews come from people who are associated with each other.

* The third review relates to this issue which is a deign limitation built in to some HDTV Panels.

"On some HDTVs, you may notice a limited range of adjustment. This is by design on the part of the HDTV manufacturer. These limits avoid pushing the HDTV too far beyond ideal levels. Do not be concerned about the inability to exceed the limits indicated on the WOW test patterns. Your HDTV can be calibrated perfectly within the given range of adjustment."

In the end, it comes down to following the instruction properly or a "preference" by some folks who simply prefer the the look of a non-calibrated image.

After two (2) years of development, production, and quality control prior to releasing this disc, I can personally attest to the accuracy of every Audio / Video patten on the disc.

For reference, here is the simple version of the instructions. This will assure that you are using the disc properly.

-----------------------------------

Disney WOW World of Wonder
Beginner and Advanced
HDTV Calibration Instructions

Before you begin

On some HDTVs, you may notice a limited range of adjustment. This is by design on the part of the HDTV manufacturer. These limits avoid pushing the HDTV too far beyond ideal levels. Do not be concerned about the inability to exceed the limits indicated on the WOW test patterns. Your HDTV can be calibrated perfectly within the given range of adjustment.

SHARPNESS: The WOW Sharpness Tool is for very fine adjustment of your HDTV Sharpness setting. You must be very close to your HDTV in order to accurately calibrate Sharpness using this tool. Typically, a distance of 1 to 2 feet is recommended. Often, the correct Sharpness setting will be in the lower scale between 0% and 25% of the total adjustment range.

Using certain inputs on your HDTV, like “PC,” may restrict the number of adjustments you can make to your HDTV. For more information, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual or contact your HDTV manufacturer’s customer service department.

The EXPERT section is not covered in this booklet.

This section is for use by Calibration Professionals and Studio Engineers. Without the proper equipment and experience, you may not be able to properly utilize all of the tests, demonstrations, or tools in this section.

--------------------

Let’s Get Started

To calibrate your HDTV using WOW, follow these easy steps:
1. Select OPTIMIZE from the Main Menu
2. Select your skill level (BEGINNER, ADVANCED or EXPERT)

--------------------

BEGINNER:

Select VIDEO to Optimize your HDTV

Select INTRODUCTION for basic instructions on how to use the Calibration Tools to optimize your HDTV. Please press ENTER after reading the instructions to return to the BEGINNER Test Menu.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
For each item, you can select:
- DESCRIPTION to hear a description of the test
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration*
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

Select AUDIO to Optimize your SOUND

This section is for use with sound systems using external speakers and an Audio/Video Receiver. Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner’s manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

The Audio tests vary depending on the number of speakers in your Home Theater System. Select the correct number from the list (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1). Please note, the “.1” is the subwoofer. If you do not have a subwoofer, just select the number based on how many speakers you have.

--------------------

ADVANCED:

Select VIDEO CALIBRATION TOOLS to Optimize your HDTV

Select your HDTV type. If you are unsure of your display type, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration *
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

CONTRAST: For the CONTRAST test pattern, you’ll want the "Visible White Stars" to be visible without fading into the background. If you start losing the "Visible White Stars," your monitor is clipping, which is not optimal. In many cases, you will be able to see the “Above White Stars” on the test pattern. This is quite normal on many HDTV sets. The best setting in this case is to turn contrast up to the maximum possible level without losing "Visible White Stars" on the right side of the WOW test pattern and without introducing visible coloration (red, green or blue tint) to the “Above White Stars.” You may actually find that 100% contrast still does not “clip” or make the “Visible White Stars” vanish or add any visible coloration to the “Above White Stars” on the WOW test pattern. This would be considered your optimal calibrated setting.

Select DISPLAY EVALUATION TOOLS to Test your HDTV

Display Evaluation Tools can be used to check the operation of your HDTV. The DESCRIPTION and INTRODUCTION for each Display Evaluation Tool will describe the function and purpose of each test.

Select AUDIO SET-UP TOOLS to Optimize your SOUND

Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner’s manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

- If you do not have a Sound Pressure Level Meter (SPL Meter), please select SPL METER NOT REQUIRED.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

--------------------

HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO:

On most HDTV remotes, a button labeled MENU should bring up a list of settings, options and controls for your HDTV. Typically, the controls you need to calibrate the video will be labeled PICTURE SETTING or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.). Should you have any problems finding or accessing your HDTV Menu, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual for instructions.

Most HDTVs have factory preset combinations for brightness, contrast, color, etc., typically called PICTURE MODES. Each preset combination will have a descriptive name, like DYNAMIC, STANDARD, MOVIE/CINEMA, etc.

To achieve the best results, select the PICTURE MODE labeled MOVIE or CINEMA and make all of your adjustments using that Mode.

Once you have chosen the correct PICTURE MODE, go to the PICTURE SETTINGS or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.) and make adjustments using the WOW disc and your HDTV remote. When you are finished with each setting, press the POP-UP button on your disc player’s remote to return to the WOW Optimize Menu. On some remotes, this may be called the TITLE/POP-UP or MENU button. Once you return to the WOW Optimize Menu, you can proceed to the next setting. For best results, it is recommended that you perform the adjustments in the order they appear on the WOW Optimize Menu.

Please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual to confirm whether you need to manually save your calibrated settings. (Most HDTVs will automatically save your settings.)

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your new visual masterpiece!

PIXEL FLIPPER

This useful and unique tool will attempt to fix plasma burn-in and rescue stuck pixels. The tool cannot repair dead or defective pixels. Instructions for use are included on the disc.

--------------------

For more detailed instructions on the Calibration Tools featured on WOW, you can download the full instruction manual at the following URL:

http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/managed/WOW_Manual.pdf

-----------------------
©BVHE, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

A couple of the one and two star rating reviews on Amazon claim that the brightness and contrast settings you get by using basic and/or advanced patterns are wrong. What are they talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...rBy=addTwoStar

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...rBy=addOneStar

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #311 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Looking at the overall rating of 4.5/5 stars out of 84 reviews, I thought those comments might be misplaced, but I just wanted to be 100% sure. I should be receiving the Blu-ray 2-disc set by Friday.
post #312 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi
i want to calibrate 55HX929 by PS3 using WoW.
i love it but Contrast pattern doesnt work. it shows white background and gray stars. changing contrast from 0-100 still gives the same pattern. also GAMMA background pattern in not shown as shown in manual, so i cant make the test.

PS3 setting is perfect as everyone recommends, so what is the issue ?
post #313 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

i love it but Contrast pattern doesnt work. it shows white background and gray stars. changing contrast from 0-100 still gives the same pattern.

Then it means a setting of 100 is optimal.
post #314 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Hi
i want to calibrate 55HX929 by PS3 using WoW.
i love it but Contrast pattern doesnt work. it shows white background and gray stars. changing contrast from 0-100 still gives the same pattern. also GAMMA background pattern in not shown as shown in manual, so i cant make the test.

PS3 setting is perfect as everyone recommends, so what is the issue ?

Some sets will never clip so you have to go to the other rules of contrast.
#1 No clipping (yours won't clip or at least that is how I read your post)
#2 No discoloration
#3 No Eye strain

So crank up the contrast fast watching for the the white to change to a slight tint of some color. Back off till color is gone.. It is not always cut and dry, sets don't always work like we think they will or the way the manufactures wanted them to work...

I to have ordered the 2 set disk just so I can see how it is. I have told several people to buy it (coworkers) and I don't have any idea what it is like.
I got mine for overstock.com since they take paypal and the price was same as amazon. I figured having the second eye candy disk could be helpful to show off a display.. not that nature scenes are all that good for verifying a full calibration.. hopefully it has some good skin tone scenes...
post #315 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct...

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #316 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

#2 No discoloration
#3 No Eye strain

So crank up the contrast fast watching for the the white to change to a slight tint of some color. Back off till color is gone.. It is not always cut and dry, sets don't always work like we think they will or the way the manufactures wanted them to work...

I to have ordered the 2 set disk just so I can see how it is. I have told several people to buy it (coworkers) and I don't have any idea what it is like.
I got mine for overstock.com since they take paypal and the price was same as amazon. I figured having the second eye candy disk could be helpful to show off a display.. not that nature scenes are all that good for verifying a full calibration.. hopefully it has some good skin tone scenes...

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #317 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

#2 No discoloration
#3 No Eye strain

regarding the eye strain bit, on a LED/LCD lowering the backlight is preferable to lowering contrast as it improves black level
post #318 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

regarding the eye strain bit, on a LED/LCD lowering the backlight is preferable to lowering contrast as it improves black level

Sure there are exceptions to the rules but not everyone has an LCD and some of the older LCD sets (god forbid) don't have backlight adjustments.. So #3 is still a valid rule for many display types.
post #319 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure there are exceptions to the rules but not everyone has an LCD and some of the older LCD sets (god forbid) don't have backlight adjustments.. So #3 is still a valid rule for many display types.

thought it was worth mentioning since the HX929 is a led-lcd
post #320 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Actually, the first two items on the list could be considered "rules" and would apply to every display and every viewer. However, the third item is rarely understood properly, even by those who most consistently promote the list. Sensitivity to eye strain and viewing fatigue will vary from one viewer to the next. By definition, a discussion of eye strain while viewing electronic monitors typically assumes darkened viewing environment conditions. Televisions and monitors are just too bright for most viewers in a completely dark room, without any ambient lighting at all. Some amount of ambient lighting is recommended to prevent eye strain and/or viewing fatigue during extended viewing sessions. This recommendation has been consistent among all the world's leading video industry standards organizations for decades.

It may be fitting to remind readers that the ISF and THX organizations are not standards bodies, but base their specifications and guidelines upon standards and best practices set by the likes of SMPTE/ISO/EBU/ITU/CIE/ANSI/ATSC/etc. The ISF and THX, Ltd. are essentially consulting services providers.

Screen brightness recommendations for calibrating professional monitors are also consistent. It is specified that 35 fL (or 100 cd/m2) is proper in "dim surround" conditions (not less than 30 fL). The term "dim surround" is defined as a darkened room, with ambient lighting supplied behind the display, approximately 10% of the peak white output of the monitor. Any discussion of calibrating a video display for peak brightness (contrast control adjustment) should take into account these principles. This applies to any self-contained video display, such as a direct view CRT, plasma, LCD, RPTV, etc.

It has been demonstrated consistently that viewers can be experiencing eye strain and/or viewing fatigue but not realize it until they incorporate some bias lighting in the system. Viewing is then more relaxed and comfortable over extended sessions. It's just not realistic to expect a novice to always recognize eye strain, in the brief time while adjusting contrast with a test disc, or how bright to set it, and/or adjust a back light control. In other words, human vision that has adapted to a dark environment will typically require bias lighting when the peak brightness is set as low as the recommended 30 to 35 fL.
post #321 of 450 Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

i just checked again, actually from 0-100 everything is white except visible stars which are gray.
is the answer the same ?
post #322 of 450 Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got the 2-disc set today. I will try it out later when I get a chance. Just to clarify, when it says the running time on disc one is 180 minutes (3 hours), is that all video content or does it include the time the actual test patterns remain on-screen for adjustment?
post #323 of 450 Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i just checked again, actually from 0-100 everything is white except visible stars which are gray.
is the answer the same ?

do you see any more (visible) stars when lowering contrast from 100? if not, then 100 is correct
post #324 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

do you see any more (visible) stars when lowering contrast from 100? if not, then 100 is correct

from 0-100, the pattern never change

in Advanced Contrast:
in 100: everything is white except (visible) which are gray stars
in 0 : everything is grayish white except ( visible ) which are gray stars.

in Beginner Contrast:
right bars never become visible

i turned off all video processors in the TV and used different HDMI cables.

PS3 is set up as recommended
post #325 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

from 0-100, the pattern never change

in Advanced Contrast:
in 100: everything is white except (visible) which are gray stars
in 0 : everything is grayish white except ( visible ) which are gray stars.

in Beginner Contrast:
right bars never become visible

i turned off all video processors in the TV and used different HDMI cables.

PS3 is set up as recommended

you have super-white on and YCbCr color space selected?

if so, your display or some other device in your display chain is clipping WTW
post #326 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I can see why they dropped the second disk from the package.. it inspires one to think "WOW~ this could be used as a cure for insomnia!" and has little other value.. Will check out the meat and potatoes later this weekend.
post #327 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed one glitch on the purity test. When displaying red, blue, green, black, and white full fields, it automatically skips from blue to green after blue is on the screen for about 2 seconds or so. It does this every time, forcing the user to pause it on blue before it skips to green. I am using the slim PS3 as my BD player and have the latest firmware on it.
post #328 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question about the advanced brightness pattern. What does it mean that ideal black should be on the verge of being visible? Does it mean I should see something faint there or that if I was to bump up brightness one click, it would be visible. Using the brightness setting I get from the AVS disc, I see +1% but nothing at +0%.
post #329 of 450 Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed one glitch on the purity test. When displaying red, blue, green, black, and white full fields, it automatically skips from blue to green after blue is on the screen for about 2 seconds or so. It does this every time, forcing the user to pause it on blue before it skips to green. I am using the slim PS3 as my BD player and have the latest firmware on it.

The Vision disk hung a few times as well on my Samsung BR player.
post #330 of 450 Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Very faint and barley visible at all...you almost have to squint to see it there. If you can see it visible, go one click down until it is barely visible. If it is totally gone, go one click up until it is barely visible.

Quote:

I have a question about the advanced brightness pattern. What does it mean that ideal black should be on the verge of being visible? Does it mean I should see something faint there or that if I was to bump up brightness one click, it would be visible. Using the brightness setting I get from the AVS disc, I see +1% but nothing at +0%.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page