Consumer Level Disney World of Wonder (WOW) vs. DVE Blu Ray - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 450 Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokker01 View Post

The backlight setting is now at +3 (Max is +16) and the blacks are good but I think the overal picture is too bright even when I set the tv with the WOW disc. So I will give it a try to lower the backlight a little bit.

if the image looks too bright or hurts your eyes, lowering backlight is a good idea

this holds true even if you have a meter since there is no one right setting for light output, though generally it may fall somewhere in the 30 to 50 fL range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 450 Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the gamma response pattern doesn't seem to really work on my LCD, my display is set to 2.2 from 10% to 90% gray in 10% increments with my C6 colorimeter but the pattern shows gamma being around 1.9

how is this pattern supposed to work and is it even possible to accurate evaluate gamma with a test pattern only (no meter)?

anyone get good results with this pattern?
post #363 of 450 Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

anyone get good results with this pattern?

I noticed the exact same thing on my Umr calibrated Pioneer kuro elite 151.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #364 of 450 Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

the gamma response pattern doesn't seem to really work on my LCD, my display is set to 2.2 from 10% to 90% gray in 10% increments with my C6 colorimeter but the pattern shows gamma being around 1.9

how is this pattern supposed to work and is it even possible to accurate evaluate gamma with a test pattern only (no meter)?

I noticed the exact same issue with my Umr calibrated Pioneer Kuro Elite 151 that I know has a gamma of 2.21.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #365 of 450 Old 04-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

I noticed the exact same issue with my Umr calibrated Pioneer Kuro Elite 151 that I know has a gamma of 2.21.

ditto. on the WOW disc i also show 1.9, but with calman im at razor flat 2.22 with my krp500m.
post #366 of 450 Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow View Post

ditto. on the WOW disc i also show 1.9, but with calman im at razor flat 2.22 with my krp500m.

I wonder why that is. I know such patterns are no replacement for measuring/setting gamma with a meter but why does everyone have the same offset when using this pattern?

2.2 appears to be 1.9 (-0.3 offset)
post #367 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Quote:

I have a question about the advanced brightness pattern. What does it mean that ideal black should be on the verge of being visible? Does it mean I should see something faint there or that if I was to bump up brightness one click, it would be visible. Using the brightness setting I get from the AVS disc, I see +1% but nothing at +0%.

Very faint and barley visible at all...you almost have to squint to see it there. If you can see it visible, go one click down until it is barely visible. If it is totally gone, go one click up until it is barely visible.

I have a question about this. Is it normal to not be able to see the "ideal black" star at all on some displays, no matter how much you turn up the brightness?

I'm barely able to see the darkest star on the left of the brightness pattern, but nothing on the right (no matter how bright I go), and same is true in reverse for the contrast star pattern (no matter how dark I go). I'm assuming that part of this may have to do with a no clip governor that I've seen mentioned on this thread and the other one (or at least I hope so), and I'm hoping that also explains why I can't see any bars on the right side whatsoever on the contrast test for the Beginners test pattern.

If it matters I'm calibrating with an Optoma HD20 (with an aging lamp) to an Onkyo Receiver to an HTPC.

Thanks.
post #368 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

I have a question about this. Is it normal to not be able to see the "ideal black" star at all on some displays, no matter how much you turn up the brightness?

I'm barely able to see the darkest star on the left of the brightness pattern, but nothing on the right (no matter how bright I go), and same is true in reverse for the contrast star pattern (no matter how dark I go). I'm assuming that part of this may have to do with a no clip governor that I've seen mentioned on this thread and the other one (or at least I hope so), and I'm hoping that also explains why I can't see any bars on the right side whatsoever on the contrast test for the Beginners test pattern.

If it matters I'm calibrating with an Optoma HD20 (with an aging lamp) to an Onkyo Receiver to an HTPC.

Thanks.

sounds like you're clipping BTB and WTW
post #369 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

sounds like you're clipping BTB and WTW

Hmm. Well if clipping is the issue, I don't know what else to do. I've messed with the projector's brightness and contrast for hours trying to get things just right, and no matter what I do I can't see the ideal stars. Any recommendations? Could the source be an issue? I'm running 2 Nvidia GTX 460s in SLI and Windows 7.
post #370 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. Well if clipping is the issue, I don't know what else to do. I've messed with the projector's brightness and contrast for hours trying to get things just right, and no matter what I do I can't see the ideal stars. Any recommendations? Could the source be an issue? I'm running 2 Nvidia GTX 460s in SLI and Windows 7.

it could be the receiver or it could be your HTPC's graphics card settings
post #371 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

it could be the receiver or it could be your HTPC's graphics card settings

Oh. Well that sucks. :P

I guess I'll start by bypassing the receiver and see if that helps any. Thank you.
post #372 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Well, I bypassed the receiver, and the picture doesn't really look any different. My setup is my living room, and though I have black out curtains I was trying to calibrate in what I considered pretty much "typical" lighting conditions this afternoon. Now that its night, and pretty much pitch black in my living room, when I run the disk I think maybe I can almost sorta make out the ideal star for the brightness pattern, but I don't know if its in my head or if I'm actually seeing it (no matter how high I turn up the brightness). I still can't see the ideal star for the contrast pattern.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility that clipping could be due to the graphics card settings, but the WOW manual does state that I can expect "'white clipping' behavior in...projectors with modest light output expectations", and though this is my second bulb in less than 2 years, maybe that's the issue.
post #373 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I bypassed the receiver, and the picture doesn't really look any different. My setup is my living room, and though I have black out curtains I was trying to calibrate in what I considered pretty much "typical" lighting conditions this afternoon. Now that its night, and pretty much pitch black in my living room, when I run the disk I think maybe I can almost sorta make out the ideal star for the brightness pattern, but I don't know if its in my head or if I'm actually seeing it (no matter how high I turn up the brightness). I still can't see the ideal star for the contrast pattern.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility that clipping could be due to the graphics card settings, but the WOW manual does state that I can expect "'white clipping' behavior in...projectors with modest light output expectations", and though this is my second bulb in less than 2 years, maybe that's the issue.

can you connect a BD player to the projector to see if the issue is display or source related?
post #374 of 450 Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

can you connect a BD player to the projector to see if the issue is display or source related?

I don't own a standalone blu-ray player outside of my PC's blu-ray drive, but yeah, it makes sense that would be the next logical step. I'll grab my parent's blu-ray player tomorrow and experiment. Again, thanks for your help.
post #375 of 450 Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

When looking at the scaling and advanced scaling 2 patterns on the Disney WOW BD, I notice a pink tint on the top third of the screen and a greenish yellow tint on the remainder of the screen. The advanced scaling 1 pattern looks b/w only, like it should. What could be causing this and is it normal for a CCFL-LCD (that has been fully calibrated with meters/software)?
post #376 of 450 Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

When looking at the scaling and advanced scaling 2 patterns on the Disney WOW BD, I notice a pink tint on the top third of the screen and a greenish yellow tint on the remainder of the screen. The advanced scaling 1 pattern looks b/w only, like it should. What could be causing this and is it normal for a CCFL-LCD (that has been fully calibrated with meters/software)?
No idea if its normal, but I see the same thing on this pattern. I wondered the same thing when I did my initial run through the disc. I seem to remember that the manual states the pattern MAY appear as a solid gray screen (caps mine). And in the observation section, it said to look for artifacts (I think with an example). I saw no artifacts - and when I switched resolution from 1:1 pixel mapping, there were artifacts, so I called it good.
post #377 of 450 Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

No idea if its normal, but I see the same thing on this pattern. I wondered the same thing when I did my initial run through the disc. I seem to remember that the manual states the pattern MAY appear as a solid gray screen (caps mine). And in the observation section, it said to look for artifacts (I think with an example). I saw no artifacts - and when I switched resolution from 1:1 pixel mapping, there were artifacts, so I called it good.

good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this
post #378 of 450 Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Liked: 14
Can The pixel flipper really fix stuck pixels? What would you say the success rate of it is? My first panel had a stuck pixel (green) and I returned it and got a new one that is flawless. I never knew these pixel flippers actually work.
post #379 of 450 Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The pixel flipper will work pixels and if they are stuck ... this often helps bring them back. It will also help with Burn-In.

However, it will not always fix a stuck pixel and it will not bring pixels back from the dead.

The Pixel Flipper is NOT random noise encoded on the disc ... as t might appear.

Pixel Flipper is an actual BD Java Application that works each and every pixel individually.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #380 of 450 Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@RBfilms

Does Disney WOW come with Fleshtone test material? Thanks.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #381 of 450 Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

@RBfilms
Does Disney WOW come with Fleshtone test material? Thanks.

it does, in the basic calibration section for adjusting color/tint
post #382 of 450 Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas0linE View Post

Can The pixel flipper really fix stuck pixels? What would you say the success rate of it is? My first panel had a stuck pixel (green) and I returned it and got a new one that is flawless. I never knew these pixel flippers actually work.

I had about 6 "stuck" pixels in my lg 47lm7600 grouped together near the right edge of the screen about halfway down when I first got my TV. I haven't used a pixel flipper, but they seem to have worked themselves out. They currently look nearly as good as the rest. So Id say just keep using your TV and any pixels that can be "fixed" will probly work themselves out over time. Or if you've got the flipper, give it a run and see if it speeds up the process.
post #383 of 450 Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post

Really, patterns like this should be built into the TV. But they are not.

But they are.. My LG LM7200 has built in expert patterns to set white level, black level, color and tint.

Insert pithy comment here
post #384 of 450 Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

But they are.. My LG LM7200 has built in expert patterns to set white level, black level, color and tint.

Do you need a service remote to access those? I have the LM7600 and I got more than acceptable PQ with the CNET settings, but fi there's more I can get it even better prior to buying one of these DVDs... why not.
post #385 of 450 Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOne View Post

Do you need a service remote to access those? I have the LM7600 and I got more than acceptable PQ with the CNET settings, but fi there's more I can get it even better prior to buying one of these DVDs... why not.

They are available in the Expert Control user menu, no service mode access required.

I don't think you can do more than what the CNET settings do; they provide the full calibration settings used to bring their LM 7600 within spec. Copying those specs is a good starting point.

I only use the LG patterns to adjust for OTA viewing; unfortunately channels do not broadcast HD test patterns to allow us to set according to their programming. For other inputs, simply use the free AVSHD patterns. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then buy a test pattern DVD. I'll buy the first one that comes up with some novel solution to approximate correct grayscale and CMS with patterns without needing a meter.... I can dream right?

Insert pithy comment here
post #386 of 450 Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Liked: 12
Is there a way to replace the blue filter card which I have lost(stupid I know)?
post #387 of 450 Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Send me a PM...I can help you.

RIch

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Is there a way to replace the blue filter card which I have lost(stupid I know)?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #388 of 450 Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Hi all. I just got the WOW Blu ray and ran into something I have to ask about. When I run the speaker ID test on my 7.1 system the voice stays at the right front speaker when announcing the right surround and right rear surround then when it gets to the left surround speakers, they are announced through the front left speaker only. I can run the test tone on the receiver and all is well with all the speakers and I can play a movie through the same Blu ray player that this WOW disc is in and the surround speakers are functioning as they should. I checked the sound settings in the Blu ray player tools and even tried a different coax cable from the blu ray to the receiver. No difference. Is there something weird with the speaker ID function on my disc? I am not sure what to think of this. Below is a list of the components used. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Samsung BD-E5900 Blu ray player
Samsung UN55EH6000 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV
Onkyo HT-R530 7.1
post #389 of 450 Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Hello,

I have a question: I just ordered Disney WOW Calibration (2-discs) in the DVD format and am wondering if the format and its contents suitable to calibrate my HDMI Sources, such as:
My TV is Samsung UN46ES7500 and is less than one week old.
1) HTPC - DVI > HDMI
2) Xbox 360 - HDMI
3) PS3 - HDMI

The reason I chose the DVD format over Bluray is simply because out of all of my HD sources, the only one that is Bluray capable is the PS3, the other two are only DVD capable.
I do own DVE HD Basics in Bluray; it feels dated so I wanted to try something more current such as WOW.

What are the major differences between the Disney WOW DVD vs Bluray contents and their compatibilities for calibrating HD sources with HDTV, when using either DVD, Bluray format types?
Is the WOW DVD format strictly for non-HDTV's and SD sources?
What should I expect to miss out on when I receive the WOW discs in DVD compared to buying the Bluray version?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best regards
post #390 of 450 Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Basic calibration such as brightness, contrast, color, and tint will work fine. I am not sure how well sharpness will work with the upscaling / up-converting artifacts you will see when going from from DVD / SD to Blu-ray / HD.

You will also get scaling and errors on many of the test patterns. The patterns will indicate you are scaling or up converting and show a fault. This is true and the disc is working as designed. However, you will get scaling / up-conversion errors what you up-covert from DVD / SD to Blu-ray / HD.

Make sure you calibrate your DVD and BD Players as well. Look online for the best way to do that.

Here is a link for the PS3 calibration settings.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10022389-1.html

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post

Hello,

I have a question: I just ordered Disney WOW Calibration (2-discs) in the DVD format and am wondering if the format and its contents suitable to calibrate my HDMI Sources, such as:
My TV is Samsung UN46ES7500 and is less than one week old.
1) HTPC - DVI > HDMI
2) Xbox 360 - HDMI
3) PS3 - HDMI

The reason I chose the DVD format over Bluray is simply because out of all of my HD sources, the only one that is Bluray capable is the PS3, the other two are only DVD capable.
I do own DVE HD Basics in Bluray; it feels dated so I wanted to try something more current such as WOW.

What are the major differences between the Disney WOW DVD vs Bluray contents and their compatibilities for calibrating HD sources with HDTV, when using either DVD, Bluray format types?
Is the WOW DVD format strictly for non-HDTV's and SD sources?
What should I expect to miss out on when I receive the WOW discs in DVD compared to buying the Bluray version?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best regards

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page